Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
You can pry my m18 hackzall from my cold dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

coathat posted:

The newest fancy cordless drills have anti-kickback protection and wont even LET you break your wrist.

Probably designed by some bitchass millenial sissy.
How are you supposed to become a real man if you don't break or amputate part of your body using a power tool?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Actually looking for what I am going to be doing, I think a miter saw is a better tool than a circular saw. A lot of folks seem to really like the Ryobi 10” so I think that’s how I am going to go

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What are you doing? Chopping 2x4s?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's okay, Gen'l Custer. You go on down thar. They'll open up on you with welcome arms.

I garage sold my corded Milwaukee 3/8 hammer drill last summer because. But they can pry my cold dead fingers off my hypoid saw, and I bet it's older than yours.

What the heck even is a hypoid saw? Looks like a worm drive?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Consider it babbies first saw for woodworking but does not yet need nor have space for a table saw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah but the worm is tapered.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Actually looking for what I am going to be doing, I think a miter saw is a better tool than a circular saw. A lot of folks seem to really like the Ryobi 10” so I think that’s how I am going to go

Just make sure that whatever saw you use has enough cutting depth for the cuts you plan to make. Remember that you don't get the full diameter of the sawblade in cut depth.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just make sure that whatever saw you use has enough cutting depth for the cuts you plan to make. Remember that you don't get the full diameter of the sawblade in cut depth.

Yeah I looked at that. The 10” seems to fit the bill for what I need. Thank you for the tip though, obviously this is relatively new territory for me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KKKLIP ART posted:

It's a good saw. I have the slidey one and have it installed on a rolling stand and it owns.

Miter saws are fast, repeatable, and easy to do accurate cuts on odd angles
Things you will use a miter saw for:
baseboard, molding, cutting boards to length, lopping off the ends of wood or laminate flooring

You can do all that with a circular saw, but some of those are going to be very hard to do quickly and safely.

Circular saws are versatile, and sometimes require a bit more technique or finesse to get the result you need.
Things a circular saw can do a miter saw cannot:
rip boards and planks to length, cut stuff in-place

Circular saw is higher priority for renovation stuff imo. This is the tools thread, so the correct answer is "get both." Corded Skil saws are like $50

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got a miter saw long before a circular saw and it's great. I got the Milwaukee M18 7-1/4" saw and I wish I'd gotten the 10" because there have been a few cases where it was very hard to make it do what I needed. Honestly I think a miter saw is the first saw a homeowner should have. If you need big sheets of wood cut, you can get that done at Home Depot when you buy them. You're much more likely to need to make small fine cuts on stuff you're working on around the house.

Also definitely get a folding and rolling stand. It's a game changer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hey, gonna ask here and in the AI detailing because I think these are the biggest crossovers: got a friend looking for a pressure washer primarily for car washing, so electric. He can borrow my gas one for higher flow/higher PSI stuff.

I've previous had a low end Karcher electric that had a plastic pump housing and was garbage, required almost it's value in parts to fix when it cracked, etc. So what's worth buying in this space for 120v with the full understanding that it's going to be lower pressure and half or less the GPM of a gas unit?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Motronic posted:

Hey, gonna ask here and in the AI detailing because I think these are the biggest crossovers: got a friend looking for a pressure washer primarily for car washing, so electric. He can borrow my gas one for higher flow/higher PSI stuff.

I've previous had a low end Karcher electric that had a plastic pump housing and was garbage, required almost it's value in parts to fix when it cracked, etc. So what's worth buying in this space for 120v with the full understanding that it's going to be lower pressure and half or less the GPM of a gas unit?

I'm no expert but it seems like all the electric ones are basically disposable. I was talking to a lady once who made extra money by buying cheap broken electric pressure washers at auction then repairing them and selling them at swap meets to pros/contractors who just use them til they break then buy a new one. I'd love to know if there's a good electric that uses metal components and such though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

I got the Sunjoe one from Amazon in the $100 range. It has a soap tank and works fine.

Only issue is that I have very hard water, and it builds up around where you attach the pressure hose to the gun and to the pump unit. Also it's been about 4 years I need to replace the o-rings on the hose.

Edit it's $160 right now, I paid $108 in 2017.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No idea if my experience is typical, but I have used the absolute crap out of my HF Portland for like 3 years, and it goes on sale for $80.

From reading reviews, it's really important to fully bleed the pump. I usually hook up the water (no power yet), lock the trigger and let it run for 5 minutes or so. It takes a while to work all the air out, and those pumps really don't like to hit a bubble. Oh yeah, and bleed the water hose best you can before hooking that up as well.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It does, and I'd never heard of it when I was shopping for a worm drive for a fuckoff big deck project in '81. I think I've posted pics in the woodworking thread at some point.

The tool store had a Makita saw on display the guy called hypoid, and it's basically a right-angle grinder except with a blade, as I understood it and a few pounds lighter than a worm drive. No chain, no oil duct, and it had a reverse winding brake, which back then, no U.S. makers had- and on a beast of a circular saw, hell yeah I appreciated that. I was already something of a Makita fanboy, they were just breaking into the U.S. market.
The store didn't have any others yet, I think it was the first one in the state actually, and I talked him into selling me the display unit.

Damnedest thing I ever used it for was to square and cut out broken bricks on my house a few years back. Wrapped it in saran wrap, propped the water hose aimed at the offending bricks, and cut them with a composite blade. It forgave me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just to chime in to be contrarian again but I hardly ever use my miter saw and I use my circ saw so often that it basically never gets put away.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

angryrobots posted:

No idea if my experience is typical, but I have used the absolute crap out of my HF Portland for like 3 years, and it goes on sale for $80.

From reading reviews, it's really important to fully bleed the pump. I usually hook up the water (no power yet), lock the trigger and let it run for 5 minutes or so. It takes a while to work all the air out, and those pumps really don't like to hit a bubble. Oh yeah, and bleed the water hose best you can before hooking that up as well.

Those are on sale this week

https://www.harborfreight.com/online-promo-2021.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

My miter saw is probably my favorite powered saw. Only other contender is my jigsaw

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I had a generic electric pressure washer I bought off Amazon that looks much like all the others and I can't say I was impressed, it didn't break on me but from the beginning it had problems maintaining pressure, it didn't like to provide pressure continuously for more than 15 or so seconds before taking a 5 second pause. Never broke on me but I also didn't find myself pulling it out very often in the 5 years I had it.

There are now higher end electric models if you want to spend over $200. I bought a Greenworks from Lowes last summer that has a metal pump, brushless motor and 3/10(everything/motor) year warranty. I really can't say how it compares to gas but it's noticeably more powerful than the cheap electric one I had and it had no problem running for an hour plus the times I had it out, it also didn't constantly want to fall over like the generic models everyone sales.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

sharkytm posted:

Whichever, I think. Bosch has great stuff in Europe, but really limited availability and selection here in the states.

For anyone that's thinking of buying Bosch: From what I've researched prior to buying, there is a big difference between blue and green Bosch stuff. The blue stuff is for professionals (any many use Bosch here in Europe), and the green stuff is much cheaper and aimed at the home gamer. Much better than the Black and Decker stuff though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

angryrobots posted:

This is so wrong I have to quote it again. I sold my corded sawzall cause I don't see any advantage in it whatsoever.

Not trolling, I demoed a shed and a hottub the other day with my buddies sawzall and ended up getting my old heavy corded team red. It wasn't a m18 but I guess I'll have to try that out and see if it has any juice.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Not trolling, I demoed a shed and a hottub the other day with my buddies sawzall and ended up getting my old heavy corded team red. It wasn't a m18 but I guess I'll have to try that out and see if it has any juice.

Your buddy probably gave you a single poo poo battery and it serves you right for borrowing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elem7 posted:

I had a generic electric pressure washer I bought off Amazon that looks much like all the others and I can't say I was impressed, it didn't break on me but from the beginning it had problems maintaining pressure, it didn't like to provide pressure continuously for more than 15 or so seconds before taking a 5 second pause. Never broke on me but I also didn't find myself pulling it out very often in the 5 years I had it

FWIW, that's how they behave when the pump hits an air bubble.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

angryrobots posted:

Add a second anecdote-point to this. I have had the same HF Portland for three years and my experience matches. I even left mine outside all winter without draining it and it doesn't seem to have broken.

Works great for washing cars and decks. Not so great on siding. Takes a very long time on sidewalks; would not recommend except for blasting the weeds and grass out of the cracks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't use it that much but my dad's got a Sunjoe that's been decent. I think it was about $150 on amazon a few years back. I thought it was amusing that Ben Krasnow turned the same model into a fairly competent and potentially dangerous home waterjet cutter with a lot of modification.

Obviously don't do this, but it's still neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Any views on good cutting blades for oscillating multi tools? I got this Bosch set and the blades were great while they lasted, but I don't think they held up well enough to justify that kind of money. I am not a frequent user and have broken or significantly worn down teeth on all the blades.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Any views on good cutting blades for oscillating multi tools? I got this Bosch set and the blades were great while they lasted, but I don't think they held up well enough to justify that kind of money. I am not a frequent user and have broken or significantly worn down teeth on all the blades.

These aren't good but so cheap that I don't care: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSBTDJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I have a specific thing I'm doing a lot of I'll got get good blades for that particular thing, but this little kit has been great to have around. I think someone right in this thread recommended it a while back.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a long lasting OMT blade, I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones, they all dull quickly but while some cheap ones struggle to cut a single nail the more expensive ones can get through several before becoming near useless. I always feel like I'm getting ripped off somehow buying them.

For what it's worth Project Farm did a comparison video of a bunch on YouTube and I bought the winning EZARC blades and still wasn't very impressed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elem7 posted:

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a long lasting OMT blade, I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones, they all dull quickly but while some cheap ones struggle to cut a single nail the more expensive ones can get through several before becoming near useless. I always feel like I'm getting ripped off somehow buying them.

For what it's worth Project Farm did a comparison video of a bunch on YouTube and I bought the winning EZARC blades and still wasn't very impressed.

same. I go for the not super cheap ones but after buying good quality ones and realizing they die easily too, so I just go middle of the road and use em.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 8, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

same. I go for the not super cheap ones but after buying good quality ones and realizing they die easily too, so I just go middle of the road and use em.

All tools are disposable in the end. Ashes to ashes dust to dust

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

Your buddy probably gave you a single poo poo battery and it serves you right for borrowing.

He was there, it was his hot tub I brought my own tools just in case but weird thing about the borrowing ya grumpy old boomer. Rent free:laugh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

He was there, it was his hot tub I brought my own tools just in case but weird thing about the borrowing ya grumpy old boomer. Rent free:laugh:

I was just piling on your bad take. :newlol: Seriously, you've got a potential movie scene. laffs ensue

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tool review time!
Posting this in AI and in HCH to shamelessly increase my post count so that one day I may proudly boast that I have an average of 4.20 posts per day.

Just got one of these:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Grinders/2783-20

Its a team red, M18 4 1/2"-5" braking grinder.

Bought it online Wednesday, got it Yesterday and used it for the first time just now.
Waiting for one of my 6 AH batteries to charge so I can go back to work with it.

The thing:
Its kinda long. A bit longer than the 4 1/2" Dewalt (corded) that I bought a few weeks ago. Obviously its even longer with the battery.
Weight isn't bad with a 6AH battery, I haven't compared it the the yellow one I have, but there isn't a significant difference AFAICT.

The tool-less guard is easy to reposition to a variety of angles so that it'll hopefully guard you slightly better than having no guard at all. Its just a little lever that you pull on and then twist the guard.
I was doing this with welding gloves on and didn't have any troubles. Your results may vary. Each........... "designated" guard position has a positive lock to it, once its in there, its not moving.

Tool-less disc change is convenient because you don't have to search for a wrench. Something that seems to get easily misplaced around here. The Nut has a little spring loaded handle that you flip up,
and use to twist to loosen and tighten. Its not that convenient however because its not particularly easy to unscrew with a glove on. At least not with welding gloves its not. That being said, its a minor inconvenience.
If you're using gloves with the kind of dexterity that welding gloves are NOT known for then you probably won't have much issue.
The handle DOES seem a little bit thin though. I'm not sure if its a good idea to stick a screw driver in there to either tighten the poo poo out of it, or to loosen it if its had the poo poo tightened out of it but hey, you do you.
Update: Had to stick a screwdriver through the handle to change a disc. Its not as flimsy as I had originally thought.

The braking aspect:
Its a "braking" grinder. There is some sort of mechanical brick-a-brack inside it that makes the discs stop faster once you've let off the power. Anyone thats used a grinder for more than about 5 minutes has probably let off the switch, set the grinder down on the bench without looking and had a rag get caught up in the disc, or set it down on its side, the wheel digs in and the thing goes skittering across the work bench. This stops that from happening.
According to the Milwaukee website: " A Rapid Stop Brake feature stops accessories in under 2 seconds".
I didn't actually count but in practice, using cut off discs and grinding wheels, it definitely stopped faster than any other grinder I've used. Probably not today, but sometime I've going to use a wire wheel and wire cup brush which are considerably heavier than the discs and see how long it takes to stop.

Anti-Vibration side handle:
There is a shock absorber looking thing in the handle and its got some grippy rubbery type spots on it. I guess I could compare it to the regular handle (I think they have the same thread) from the yellow grinder and see if there is a difference, but my tingling hands tell me that the anti-vibration part is mediocre at best.

Performance:
Man this thing sucks batteries dry. Just for the hell of it, I tried with one of my older 2AH batteries to see what would happen. Performance was....... Lacklustre but I didn't expect much. This was more of a "gently caress it why not"? kind of thing.
Next up was on of my HIGH OUTPUT XC6.00000000!!!!!!!!!! batteries.
I've got two and they're the biggest ones I have. Performance was considerably better with this one obviously. I didn't have any issues with speed, or torque from the motor. It didn't bog down at all and it make a hell of a lot of sparks.
I realize of course that at least part of the performance has to do with the quality of the discs themselves. They are hardware store brand. All in all I managed to cut off the lovely parts of my work piece and the grind down the welds to prep for new stuff.
I still have a bit more work to do on this thing but I wanted my other 6ah battery fully charged before I get back to it.

Having never used a corded angle grinder I don't really have anything to compare to. Performance wise, it seemed on par with the corded ones that I've used in the past, but the battery part was kind of annoying.
Milwaukee sells these things with two 5.0AH XC batteries, and I killed my 6AH battery in what I consider to be not that long. I guess if you have a charger on hand and one can be charged up in the time it takes to kill the other then its not *that* bad.
They also sell an "HD" kit that comes with two 9.0 AH batteries. They would obviously offer more run time than either the 5 or 6AH batteries.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a 9ah battery and report back.

E: UPDATE!! YEEHAAAWWWW!!!

Just killed my second 6ah battery.
I'll admit I was trying to kill it, but I was not doing anything differently than I would have with a corded grinder. All told, I'd say I was actually grinding for about 30-35 minutes total.
Also, I had to stick a screw driver through the little pop up handle on the nut to get it off when I was changing discs. Seemed to not be as flimsy as I originally thought.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 9, 2021

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rutibex posted:

All tools are disposable in the end. Ashes to ashes dust to dust

:colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stone tools are the most disposable of all! If you asked a neolithic hunter if he had a sentimental attachment to his hand axe he would have sighed then demonstrated how these lovely rocks are always breaking and he made a new one 5 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GSCevT0G4M

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot has a couple Milwaukee outdoor tool combos on sale

M18 Fuel String Trimmer + Edger Attachment + 8.0Ah battery + Rapid charger - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-2718/308304983

M18 Fuel String Trimmer + Pole Saw attachment + 8.0Ah battery + Rapid charger - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-2720/308304985

M18 Fuel String Trimmer + Hedge Trimmer attachment + 8.0Ah battery + Rapid charger - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-2719/308304984

M18 Fuel String Trimmer + (2) 8.0Ah battery + Rapid charger - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1880/315705586

M18 Fuel Chainsaw + Blower (tool only) - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...24-20/312182877

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ughhhhh, I need the DeWalt version of the hedge trimmer attachment.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harbor Freight "US General" Toolchests.. poo poo or good? I played around a little in store today and they seemed to be pretty decently built.. way better than the $99 special that craftsman keeps trying to give away made of metal that's paper thin.

I like this one's price and size but am convinced it isn't really going to organize well.. maybe if I got enough socket holders etc.
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-4-drawer-tech-cart-green-56392.html

Soo My thoguht is

buy this and stick on workbench for now. Workbench already has a lovely plastic kobolt set of tools sitting on it now.
https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-single-bank-top-chest-red-64160.html

Then later in life Grab this one
https://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-x-22-in-single-bank-roller-cabinet-orange-56235.html

Yes I know colors dont match etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I have a 44” roller cabinet. They are really good. Basically direct knockoffs of Snap On. And when I say knockoff i dont mean cheaply made crap, I mean they stole the blueprints and the material and just sell it to you for a fuckload less.

It has solid thick metal, heavy duty drawer slides, big wheels, even comes with pads in the drawers. Not sure what else I would need to pay 4x as much for a snap on.

This is my rifle roller cabinet. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 10, 2021