Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

drat loving loser cant even find a chicken shack in south carolina that will book him lol watch him start a loving evangelical parking lot wrestling tent show

iirc he already tried to run a "charity" show for a christian ministry's "women's charity" in Jacksonville and got a third party to try and book AEW talent for it. Until people figured out he was running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

iirc he already tried to run a "charity" show for a christian ministry's "women's charity" in Jacksonville and got a third party to try and book AEW talent for it. Until people figured out he was running it.

Didn't Tony ban him in perpetuity on Twitter as a result

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Tony ban him in perpetuity on Twitter as a result

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1366824069958631433

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ah okay, same basic idea

I said this in discord, I'll say it here: Even if all the decent stuff Tony is doing is performative, it beats Vince's bully psychopath poo poo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The t[[

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ah okay, same basic idea

I said this in discord, I'll say it here: Even if all the decent stuff Tony is doing is performative, it beats Vince's bully psychopath poo poo

Thanks for sayin it

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know someone mentioned it and since Joey Ryan is using it as his shield, here a podcast discussing the myth of sex addiction.

https://overcast.fm/+SF4LwjXqk

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Independent of Joey Ryan:

The key is not getting hung up on the word "addiction." Addiction is a compulsive mental illness. I really don't think it's that outlandish to believe that there's a compulsive mental illness that makes people treat sex that way.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

making it independent of joey ryan or any actual person takes away most or all of the obvious reasons that the sexual predators are hiding behind whatever shield they can either find or create

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

making it independent of joey ryan or any actual person takes away most or all of the obvious reasons that the sexual predators are hiding behind whatever shield they can either find or create
Well yeah, to be clear I'm not talking about people publicly being accused of being sex pests who are then like "Oh...yeah...sex addiction. Jesus. Sure."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah i suppose i always think of the term "sex addict" as involving a man operating under one or more uneven power dynamics to abuse people and who then always ends up "getting help for" it when their situation become publicly known. i haven't seen or heard it as an issue for anyone else like needing help to focus or live life, without abuse coming into the story somewhere. from my perspective i would feel bad associating the term with someone who is a decent person but might be addicted in the literal sense if that's possible, because of the things i said, but i don't know nothing. didn't listen to that podcast linked. haven't read a book or a website in this Old life. debate isn't for me, and i apologize for not correctly picking up what you were putting down

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Cavauro posted:

i haven't seen or heard it as an issue for anyone else like needing help to focus or live life, without abuse coming into the story somewhere

this is usually the case in some form or fashion for the dependency on love/sex to take root, fwiw

also gently caress joey ryan

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

yeah i suppose i always think of the term "sex addict" as involving a man operating under one or more uneven power dynamics to abuse people and who then always ends up "getting help for" it when their situation become publicly known. i haven't seen or heard it as an issue for anyone else like needing help to focus or live life, without abuse coming into the story somewhere. from my perspective i would feel bad associating the term with someone who is a decent person but might be addicted in the literal sense if that's possible, because of the things i said, but i don't know nothing. didn't listen to that podcast linked. haven't read a book or a website in this Old life. debate isn't for me, and i apologize for not correctly picking up what you were putting down
I get it; it feels like 99% of the time we hear about it, it's some dude trying to spin accusations that he's a sex pest.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was good friends with a woman who engaged in what at least appeared to be destructive compulsive sexual behavior, to the point where it brought her nothing but shame and pain. In her case I believed her when she said she was a sex addict. It was truly heartbreaking.

This has nothing to do with the behavior of people like Joey Ryan, who is a creep and a predatory scumbag, or other dudes who engage in behavior like it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't think "some people have destructive sexual urges which we currently stigmatize and shame which makes it harder for people who need help to get help" and "gently caress Joey Ryan, an rear end in a top hat who still doesn't care if he's hurt people" are contradictory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sex addiction is generally believed to be a manifestation of other mental health issues and not a real thing in and of itself.

Practically there's no real difference though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's ultimately irrelevant because mental health conditions are not a free pass to hurt people and not give a poo poo, which is the way he has tried to use it, in which case the problem is not that he might have a mental health condition, it's that he's an rear end in a top hat.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is more evangelical christian virtue signaling from him, I'm not going to debate if sex addiction is real or not but it's a common refrain from evangelical men who have committed some sort of sexual assault and they have tons of support groups because that's a big part of their selling point to people like Ryan, join their groups, go to their church, and you can wash away everything you did without any of that hard work like apologizing or changing or growing.

E: lol didn't even look at the picture at first but oh hey the chip is from an evangelical group. Shocked.
I have bad news about mainstream 12 step programs

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Someone asked what Will Ospreay did in a thread entitled "What was Will Ospreay accused of?". This was a response:

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Joey Ryan's youtube channel is gone. Small victories.

https://twitter.com/socaluncensored/status/1379140650407325696?s=19

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

collocation posted:

Someone asked what Will Ospreay did in a thread entitled "What was Will Ospreay accused of?". This was a response:

chriiiiiiiiiist

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's time to get stone cold and all other old abusers who are not wrestling anywhere or in any lockerrooms out of the wrestling business

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
^^^ absolutely

Dave have a sex-pest list or something, is it public?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Hirez posted:

^^^ absolutely

Dave have a sex-pest list or something, is it public?

No, he's saying he got Cancel Cultured (dave doesnt have the best Will takes)

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave is a piece of poo poo

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

MotU posted:

No, he's saying he got Cancel Cultured (dave doesnt have the best Will takes)

this is big poppa meltz and not some IWC rando?

to be clear, I am 0% surprised if it is and have seen other Bad Takes from meltzer, just disappointed that a gross boomer is still the industry's big-name source for both match ratings (harder to replace because whose methodology do you go with?) and journalism (thankfully we have Bix, SRS, et al)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

zgrowler2 posted:

this is big poppa meltz and not some IWC rando?

to be clear, I am 0% surprised if it is and have seen other Bad Takes from meltzer, just disappointed that a gross boomer is still the industry's big-name source for both match ratings (harder to replace because whose methodology do you go with?) and journalism (thankfully we have Bix, SRS, et al)

yes it is dave on his own board

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The industry's main journalist not caring about sexual harassment or assault is one of the main reasons it's so prevalent

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

My touchstone re: Meltzer and women is always the time he explained that Penny Banner had come to him many times explaining that Fabulous Moolah was an abuser, and that he rejected it, and continues to reject it despite other women coming forward, because "she was very strong in her opinions. She was so strong in them that I didn't consider her to be that credible.”

The dude absolutely has a sex-pest list, except he is pretty sure it is the list of poor men who were accused by hysterical women and he was wise enough to not investigate any further.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

This is bad phrasing either way, but as someone who's had to spend a lot of time decoding Dave over the years, I *think* he's referring to this:

When Austin had his podcast, there were repeatedly comments that could be read as him wanting to publicly apologize and explain how he's become a better person, but being unable to because he's gagged by the terms of his and Debra's divorce settlement. (That last point isn't from his show; it's from a Wade Keller call-in show where someone asked Austin about Debra/the charges. Austin said something to the effect of "Not that this kind of setting is really the time or the place, but I'm legally barred from talking about it.") On Austin's podcast, there were a lot of "it took a while to really get the business out of me" comments that, while vague, were nonetheless difficult to interpret as something other than "I was taking a lot of drugs in the early 2000s and it made me a much worse person." And Dave is a journalist who talks to Austin privately and off the record, so...who knows.

I'm not saying I agree with all of that so much as I'm guessing that this is what's behind Dave saying that. It's a weird story because of how vague Austin's been while still seemingly trying to address it. I don't think it's unfair to say that it seems like he's tried to become a better person since then, and I do take into consideration how there are a lot of addicts who were only abusers off the wagon and are nothing like that when sober. If he genuinely can't talk about it—I don't know if I buy the idea that he couldn't even apologize publicly, but for argument's sake, if he told the truth in that Keller interview—then that would obviously complicate any kind of attempt at public repentance. I haven't read Jeanie Clarke's book so I can't comment on if she says he was ever violent (at one point she was insistent publicly that he wasn't), but by all public indications (which, of course, doesn't necessarily mean much) he has a healthy marriage with Kristin; it's the longest relationship of his life. (They've been together for at least 14 years.)

In other words: I can see why someone would be willing to give Austin the benefit of the doubt more than I would a lot of people with his past, but, nonetheless, I would never chide someone for being resistant to treating him as redeemed. Not when the public evidence for that being the case is, at best, a bench of vague podcast asides that some hardcore wrestling fans have tried to piece together and that only starts to make much sense if you're aware of an old podcast interview that barely anyone remembers.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Explosions posted:

My touchstone re: Meltzer and women is always the time he explained that Penny Banner had come to him many times explaining that Fabulous Moolah was an abuser, and that he rejected it, and continues to reject it despite other women coming forward, because "she was very strong in her opinions. She was so strong in them that I didn't consider her to be that credible.”

The dude absolutely has a sex-pest list, except he is pretty sure it is the list of poor men who were accused by hysterical women and he was wise enough to not investigate any further.
Also weird about the Penny Banner thing: Because she repeatedly told Dave that Moolah was a pimp or whatever term we want to use for now, Dave believed that the old "Moolah was a pimp" forum post was written by her. It wasn't, it was misattributed by a Reddit user with bad reading comprehension in 2015 and from then on was attributed to her a weirdly high number of times, including by people who should absolutely know better. Details here: https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/did-penny-banner-really-call-the

Here's the actual Dave note about Banner: “I knew and corresponded with Banner, who was a regular reader of this publication, and she was very strong in her opinions. That said, she was so strong in them that I didn't consider her to be that credible.” Not great.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

This is bad phrasing either way, but as someone who's had to spend a lot of time decoding Dave over the years, I *think* he's referring to this:

I don't think that he's talking about Austin here. He is instead seemingly talking about Will. He will sometimes just pick a random post in a thread and respond to it. It can often be confusing, and it was better when he just didn't use the quote function because there will often be confusion along the lines of "why did you respond to my post agreeing with you to vehemently argue with and insult people who didn't?" and the like. When Will was put on "the list" (which I believe the most prominent public version of may be the one here that is seemingly no longer updated in the OP), there was a big argument there about how he shouldn't be on the list because what he did "wasn't assault." Dave never participated, but there was much talk of "the list".

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
He’s referencing Austin as not being on the 2020 list and it not mattering what you did before. Osprey is being referenced as being on “The List”. It’s actually very straight forward for Dave-speak and we don’t need multiple paragraphs to “well actually” it. He has had and currently has extremely piss poor opinions regarding the situation around Osprey and will never change them, and if he did change them I could only think he did it for PR reasons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

The industry's main journalist not caring about sexual harassment or assault is one of the main reasons it's so prevalent

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s really weird how hard Dave goes to bat for Ospreay in particular. Is he a big source for his NJPW news or are they somehow just strange best buds?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s really weird how hard Dave goes to bat for Ospreay in particular. Is he a big source for his NJPW news or are they somehow just strange best buds?

I don’t think it has been concretely proven but I’ve seen it suggested when it was going down that Ospreay is a source

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
He's also bought into Will's whole 'people pointing out legit ways I've wronged people made me want to commit suicide' thing

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rarity posted:

He's also bought into Will's whole 'people pointing out legit ways I've wronged people made me want to commit suicide' thing

God this is such abuser poo poo, I hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MotU posted:

He’s referencing Austin as not being on the 2020 list and it not mattering what you did before. Osprey is being referenced as being on “The List”. It’s actually very straight forward for Dave-speak and we don’t need multiple paragraphs to “well actually” it. He has had and currently has extremely piss poor opinions regarding the situation around Osprey and will never change them, and if he did change them I could only think he did it for PR reasons.

Yup. I found it pretty direct in comparison to most of Dave's writing.

Though Bix, in his post, manages to highlight another way Ospreay's a garbage piece of poo poo. Austin, a noted and confirmed domestic abuser, has spent a decade and a half acting, at least, like, "I am trying to continue to be better." It's perfectly fine to say that's not good enough or you don't buy it or there needs to be more; I still have trouble imagining circumstances that would legally bar him from saying more along those general lines, even if his divorce from Debra limits the things he can specifically say. But Ospreay offered a piss-poor barely-counts-as-an-apology at the absolute height of the heat on him, and otherwise has been a whiny shithead about how the effect of being accused on his mental health means he's the real victim.

It's hard to come off worse than Steve Austin in the "mistreating women" thread, but people do say Ospreay's a once-in-a-generation talent.