Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

scampuss tea time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh bother.

You should've switched it out for bone hurting juice.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LawfulWaffle posted:

That skin is great. I beat CrossCode last year, months before the DLC was available. I really liked the game and it was on my GotY list. Do you think I could get into the DLC okay if I picked it back up or is it all super high level stuff that expects me to still have muscle memory for everything mastered (like DOOMs DLCs, where the extra stuff is very additive with its challenge)

I was exactly the same as you. But its like riding a bike. Theres a new area you get to first thats relatively low intensity that can ease you back into the pace of things. Though some quests you have access to from the start are....a little much. (Tip: theres a backer quest near the central hub of each city that gives you a very good crutch weapon to lean on.)

However After youre done with that it gets the knives out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter Rise occasionally gives you the materials to make exploding throwing kunai, which do about as much damage as you'd expect an exploding kunai to do if someone were insane enough to actually make one. They're so useful in fact that the game says they're too dangerous for your guy to bring home with him so you can't take them out of the quest where you crafted them :allears:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I got Disco Elysium Final Cut on special. I didn't know the personalities hadn't been voiced until this release, I had just heard it was an interesting game.

I don't think I would have been able to get into it without the voice acting, really, because it adds so much. I've already got over 24 hours played in a couple of days so that was my Easter gift to myself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another Monster Hunter Rise thing: There are these fat tummy-scratching badgers called Bombadgy's just milling around living their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewsnOQ2q2Y

I love these lazy tubby dudes so much. If you hit them, they fly away like skipping stones exploding with actual fire and brimstone every time they hit the ground, because of course they do. Not only does the Bombadgy survive this, it runs up to you and puffs up all angry like a pufferfish so you can do it again! They get huge damage resistance when they're puffed up so you can smack em at other monsters to light them on fire at little risk to your rotund friend.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Apr 5, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

marshmallow creep posted:

lol at you hitting him after that.

He don't care.

He's knocked my rear end out twice before this point. He knew I was no threat :negative:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheMostFrench posted:

I got Disco Elysium Final Cut on special. I didn't know the personalities hadn't been voiced until this release, I had just heard it was an interesting game.

I don't think I would have been able to get into it without the voice acting, really, because it adds so much. I've already got over 24 hours played in a couple of days so that was my Easter gift to myself.

I just kinda wish they had different VAs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like that the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn focuses more on tactically identifying and shooting off armor and weapons from robots to do major damage, more than just generally plinking away at them. Doubly so since this is the first time I've done a sidequest that unlocks the Tearblaster, basically a compressed air shotgun that focuses on blowing off those components en masse. Powering through most of the health bar in a few shots with that followed by a few regular hits is very satisfying.

e: or in the case of Shell-Walkers, one-shotting them every time :hellyeah:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Apr 6, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As is customary for Monster Hunter, removable and breakable monster bits return in Rise and they change the fights dramatically sometimes this time. Is a monster's tail bothering you? Good news, any moderately sharp weapon will get rid a' that thing real quick! Monster got big horns blocking your view? Your hammer buddy's corkscrew wirebug move will turn those into talcum powder before you can say "why are this game's controls so weird and non standard". The game's more protracted MH experience allows these things to happen more often than in World and it's a really cool pacing change.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Apr 6, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is MH:Rise like a whole new game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

verbal enema posted:

It's like World only it runs on Switch

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Len posted:

well what the gently caress

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

verbal enema posted:

Yup. It's Monster Hunter World's aesthetic/controls/UI but in the style of the older games where it's meant to be portable so the quests are around ~10-15 minutes instead of 20-25. HR of course goes utterly bonkers as does multiplayer and the new Rampage thingy I haven't messed with but yes, it is the World style of gameplay but a whole new full game with new monsters. Naturally it's gorgeous to look at even in undocked mode and sounds very lovely.

verbal enema posted:

well what the gently caress

Ah but this is good news, it means you have a whole new 70 hour skinner box to look forward to! And it's actually a really good game this time too instead of just mostly pretty good!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Apr 6, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

that's really underselling it, I've been terrible enough to give up at several MH games and while this one definitely owes a ton to World it definitely feels like it has a fair amount more for me to be bad at

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been meaning and failing to pick up and try a Monster Hunter game for ages now, is Rise a good one to jump into?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been meaning and failing to pick up and try a Monster Hunter game for ages now, is Rise a good one to jump into?

As someone who keeps buying them because I like hunting games in theory and managed to kind of get into World for a while, this one feels like it's maybe a little more forgiving on the actual hunting side while holding your hand a bit less about the overall gameplay loop and stuff? I think a lot of it is going to depend on whether you have friends that play and what version they're on if so.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't have a switch so im just mad about that but hell yeah more MH for other people

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I will never touch multiplayer so if that's a requirement for fun then it wouldn't be for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

verbal enema posted:

I don't have a switch so im just mad about that but hell yeah more MH for other people

It's coming to PC next year just like World did!! :unsmigghh:

And yeah World is imo the best one for people who have never played Monster Hunter before, that one introduces you very well to the 'style' of gameplay or rather the pace of MH compared to other action games. Hell it even helped me get a little better at the older ones by showing me that it's much more 'beat em up' pace than 'character action game' pace. If you've got a Switch specifically however you can totally jump right into Rise, there's not much ongoing continuity and it's a much tighter-knit story than World's huge... uh, world.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I will never touch multiplayer so if that's a requirement for fun then it wouldn't be for me.

I do most of my hunting solo so really it depends on if you thinking fighting the same dragon repeatedly to make weapons and armor out of it's body parts is a good time. It hits the lizard brain for me and I can just fuckin fight a sumo wrestling duck turtle all day

And you can see yourself get better as the hunts take less time and you come back with more resources remaining. It makes me feel like I'm not garbage at everything I touch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

As is customary for Monster Hunter, removable and breakable monster bits return in Rise and they change the fights dramatically sometimes this time. Is a monster's tail bothering you? Good news, any moderately sharp weapon will get rid a' that thing real quick! Monster got big horns blocking your view? Your hammer buddy's corkscrew wirebug move will turn those into talcum powder before you can say "why are this game's controls so weird and non standard". The game's more protracted MH experience allows these things to happen more often than in World and it's a really cool pacing change.

I've been playing World with friends, and I've been known for just being supernaturally good at cutting off tails. I cut off tails while aiming for legs. When we first hit Bazelgeuse, I sliced off its tail while my friend was telling me I shouldn't engage.

I blame my first 'modern action game' being Dark Souls, which LOVED you swinging for the tail on dragons.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CJacobs posted:

It's coming to PC next year just like World did!! :unsmigghh:

And yeah World is imo the best one for people who have never played Monster Hunter before, that one introduces you very well to the 'style' of gameplay or rather the pace of MH compared to other action games. Hell it even helped me get a little better at the older ones by showing me that it's much more 'beat em up' pace than 'character action game' pace. If you've got a Switch specifically however you can totally jump right into Rise, there's not much ongoing continuity and it's a much tighter-knit story than World's huge... uh, world.

hell yeah ill play it on pc which reminds me i should get MHW on pc since my ps4 is in PA and the LOAD TIMES OH MY GOD SO LONG

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monster Hunter Rise is a huge delight because they clearly went into it going "Well... what if instead of this thing not being fun... we made it fun" and so you can ninja-zip around the environment while riding a doggo and then hop off to beat a monster in the head with the power of rocking music by dropping a bug-based soundspeaker. While still retaining the fun parts of the previous bits.

The literal little thing in MH:R is the Wirebugs which as far as I'm concerned I probably won't enjoy another MH without

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC you start running into puzzles where you have to route power through good nodes and avoid bad nodes to unlock doors. Ugh, but at least they save it by putting datalogs around with people complaining about the guy who made them, and a long one from him that's all "UGH I can't believe you IDIOTS don't like my door puzzles, let me explain them ONE MORE TIME for you dumb-dumbs" :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://i.imgur.com/aAKuxC0.mp4

I've discovered how to weaponize the Bombadgy's by golfballing them at monsters. Thank you for the assistance my rotund highly explosive friends

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
I've been playing Pillars of Eternity recently, and one thing I wasn't expecting to be wowed by was the sound design. I left my characters in an Inn and got up to do something else, and suddenly tuned in to how warm and realistic the background noise was. There's a dwarf that bursts into fits of pantomime laughter occasionally and it makes me smile. The sound design throughout is exceptional and makes the world so much more vivid, I wonder how many people played it and didn't realise that was one of the biggest things that made the game feel immersive and alive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm approaching the end of the third level in Stolen and love how the guard dialog seems to be themed for each level - the conversations in the first level were all guards having issues with their spouses, and in the third level they are all lunatics who are way too into enforcing the most trivial of laws, like one guy who murdered his wife because she tivo'd a show and showed it to her friends, clearly she didn't record it for strictly personal use so she broke copyright laws.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Hygiene posted:

In the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC you start running into puzzles where you have to route power through good nodes and avoid bad nodes to unlock doors. Ugh, but at least they save it by putting datalogs around with people complaining about the guy who made them, and a long one from him that's all "UGH I can't believe you IDIOTS don't like my door puzzles, let me explain them ONE MORE TIME for you dumb-dumbs" :v:

There's one audio log in the base game that's just "hey what idiot installed this thing upside-down?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite door-unlocking key in video games recently became the USB drive you need to get into the Umbrella Lab in RE3Make.

Because think about it for a sec.

A USB flash drive.

It's 1998.

The flash drive is emblazoned with the Umbrella logo because of course it is, so something pretty weirdly anachronistic and not from the original game suddenly becomes an example of how Umbrella's in-house company technology was one step ahead of the rest of the world, even back then!

edit: I guess it's not that anachronistic, USB storage drives debuted on the market around ~2000. Still I really like the implication that Umbrella managed to snag 'em first through its shady government connections. Really ANY developmental tech Umbrella has that isn't a stupid rear end RE puzzle item they made themselves should be under intense scrutiny. A pharmaceutical company would need to be on top of the latest computing technology after all!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Apr 7, 2021

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
That baby could hold a whole 32 meg on it. Contains 3 whole notepad files of data and one snazzy ASCII tyrant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

My favorite door-unlocking key in video games recently became the USB drive you need to get into the Umbrella Lab in RE3Make.

Because think about it for a sec.

A USB flash drive.

It's 1998.

The flash drive is emblazoned with the Umbrella logo because of course it is, so something pretty weirdly anachronistic and not from the original game suddenly becomes an example of how Umbrella's in-house company technology was one step ahead of the rest of the world, even back then!

edit: I guess it's not that anachronistic, USB storage drives debuted on the market around ~2000. Still I really like the implication that Umbrella managed to snag 'em first through its shady government connections. Really ANY developmental tech Umbrella has that isn't a stupid rear end RE puzzle item they made themselves should be under intense scrutiny. A pharmaceutical company would need to be on top of the latest computing technology after all!

Huh, I never thought about that. Mainly because of zombies so anything is within possibility but also because I keep forgetting about the in game year. And if the flash drive isn't crazy enough, just look at the railgun they've got in the basement!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
USB 1.0 was on the market since 1996 and since those need to be just some authentication dongles with some 8byte string on them it's not even special. You could buy normal usb peripherals before 2000s.

They were probably sorely needed because Umbrella employees password strength is abysmal. It's always Ada, Tyrant123, or some poo poo like that.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like that the combat in Horizon Zero Dawn focuses more on tactically identifying and shooting off armor and weapons from robots to do major damage, more than just generally plinking away at them. Doubly so since this is the first time I've done a sidequest that unlocks the Tearblaster, basically a compressed air shotgun that focuses on blowing off those components en masse. Powering through most of the health bar in a few shots with that followed by a few regular hits is very satisfying.

e: or in the case of Shell-Walkers, one-shotting them every time :hellyeah:

I really enjoyed this too. The sound of Tearblaster arrows hitting something was always great. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHBOOM

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not a huge fan of jokes like "haha, these kinda puzzles are totally stupid, right? But we're gonna force you to do them anyway."

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That was the only time HZD did that gag, and once is plenty, but I have a hard time getting worked up about those puzzles at all since I must have just edited them out of my memory of the experience. It was just one more 'I am a game' concession I was willing to suspend disbelief for and then immediately forget because the interesting parts of that one had nothing to do with puzzle solving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having high-end computer technology show up early in video games probably makes some sense, given, y'know, how they're made. A video game developer probably has a lot of uses for data storage and transfer devices.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm very good at the Towers of Hanoi now.

It's not a very useful skill outside of video games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
X-Morph has a good bit of fun leaning into the schlocky sci-fi B-movie alien invasion, particularly in the Egypt level. The aliens land in Egypt for the straightforward purpose of closing one of the main human sea transit routes (topical!) and the primary evacuation route for retreating African military forces. The human commander, who has completely misunderstood how the aliens work all game long, naturally thinks the aliens are here for the Great Pyramids and that the Pyramids must be some vast alien power source.

The aliens, who are listening in on human communications, give up and start giggling at this point The Pyramids are just piles of rock the humans built themselves. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why the humans are losing this war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

I'm not a huge fan of jokes like "haha, these kinda puzzles are totally stupid, right? But we're gonna force you to do them anyway."
GTA V is an entire game about this trope and it's just awful all the way.