Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ZombyDog posted:

Yeah, stacking armour as Technomancer was a real a real gamechanger, I went from glass cannon with blighted rounds and dying to a stiff breeze, to stalking the battlefield like a stygian horror, with a minigun that never runs out, using the blighted turret to apply toxic and armour debuffs and flush goons from cover, and a seemingly mapwide AOE freeze. As long as I'm shooting things I'll never die, and as long as I'm killing things I'll never run out of ammo. Only done one expedition so far but got my Gold tier with a couple minutes to spare, only tried it once in co-op but the host was clearly in another region so my on kill buffs weren't proccing because the latency was so bad.

Could you share your build for this?
My friend is struggling as technomancer and this sounds like they'd love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

The trick is to stop using level 1 mods on your armor for the most part, the level 2 mods are very very good and once you have enough of them find ones that synergize with your build. There are a number of +armor ones but the passive +armor and resistance mod and the +armor from hits from ADS are both key. The one where you get more armor when you dodge for 5s is also good.

It gets to the point where you can just wade around and as long as you're keeping the armor buffs up (very easy) the only things that can really threaten you are end-game minibosses like the Shamans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's from doing an expedition which is the endgame thing, you have to have finished the story to go on them. They're timed challenges basically and after you finish one it shows you all that stuff.

Well, I just beat the game so I guess I'll see this soon.

It was funny being an invincible punch-man even on the final boss. Just brawling with like behemoths and stuff is very satisfying, imo.

Edit: For the record I am not a coward and kept it at max world level the entire game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 6, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With the legendaries having really cool designs, but the game encouraging you to disassemble everything for mods, I wish there was some sort of Transmog option(aka changing your guns/armor appearance without affecting stats).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There not being a transmog system is a real big bummer.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Seems like they just made it so all connections go through, but holy gently caress this is the most horrendous lag I've experienced in a long time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah there are some really well done armor sets and I would have liked the option

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Transmog is the thing I want to see the most, as well. I really like a lot of the armor designs.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DarkDobe posted:

Kenshin posted:

The trick is to stop using level 1 mods on your armor for the most part, the level 2 mods are very very good and once you have enough of them find ones that synergize with your build. There are a number of +armor ones but the passive +armor and resistance mod and the +armor from hits from ADS are both key. The one where you get more armor when you dodge for 5s is also good.

It gets to the point where you can just wade around and as long as you're keeping the armor buffs up (very easy) the only things that can really threaten you are end-game minibosses like the Shamans.
Nope, totally fine with all blue armour with level 1 mods, you just need a weapon with Perpetuum Mobile ( there's a level 2 armour mod that replenishes 40% ammo on killing an enemy afflicted with toxic, but if you keep a add handy to top up your minigun ammo when you're down to below 100 rounds Perpetuum Mobile is all you need ).

So yeah, have a gun with Perpetuum Mobile, this reacts with your Minigun unlike the couple other weapon mods I've tested so far, and gives you a full reload when you score a kill when below 30% percent mag capacity. This will keep your minigun up, and this will keep you alive. Doesn't seem to proc with the Rockets.

Next up Armour mods, of these only two are what I'd consider essential, after that it's up to you. Fortify Gives you a huge chunk of armour when you activate Tools of Destruction - keep this gear up to level because it's a hard figure not a percentage and it's effectiveness will drop rapidly as you level / World Tier it up. Bang for your buck doubles your Minigun/Rocket Launcher ammo capacity - moar bullets. Fortify will give give you a crazy amount of Durability and there's a +20% armour perk early in the mid branch of the Skill tree to take that further. My third pick is the mod that I can't remember the name of that gives your Minigun a Resistance Piercing bonus, fourth is the +66% Radius to Cold Snap and finally Armour Reduction for the Blighted Turret. The last 3 are a bit dealers choice, totally dependent on the skills you plan on using to lock your targets in place and make killing them easier. When you start rolling in Epics, keep an eye out for Level 2 talents that buff your defensive capabilities, the replenish ammo on toxic afflicted kills, but to be honest it doesn't really matter, go with what works.

Skill Tree is all the Ordinance bottom line to the capstone, with 4 points to spare on the middle branch to get the +20% armour buff.

Gameplay - I have only one rule, don't accidently summon the Rocket Launcher instead of the Minigun - The rocket launcher damage isn't great and you can't replenish it and the cooldown is killer. Actually I have a second rule, Always be Shooting - you are going to be taking a lot of damage, damage that is heavily mitigated by your massive armour resist but it's still going to bring you down if you're not healing, and you do that by Shooting ( as in Always Be ). You need to be a bit strategic with your shooting, I'm always looking for an easy kill when I'm hovering below 120 bullets left in the mag to restock, and if it's a boss fight I'll draw them out a bit if it means an extra wave of adds to restock. Waves of monsters is ideal, so your friend will love Monster Hunts. Up against Ferals and Insurgents you've gotta root those buggers out and so your other two skills are for locking people in place and or flushing them out. Snap Freeze with the range boost covers most arenas so locking guys in place briefly is a doddle and gives you a brief respite, and I'm liking the Blighted turret for throwing behind guys in cover, it has a wicked fast cooldown so you can keep repositioning it and mine is modded for debuffing Elites & Bosses.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 6, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Fried Sushi posted:

Yeah that has been my experience as well, I am tempted to start a new character and replay the intro to see if it was actually as bad as I remember, cause I thought it was absolute garbage at the time.

It was, in fact, absolute garbage and I'll third y'all's experience. It wouldn't surprise me if the demo was scripted/built early on in production as proof of concept/investor draw or whatever because a LOT of it feels different from later in the game, from tone and writing to the intro tutorial playing like it's from another game (virtual firing range is kinda garbage)... But the protag actually becomes more nuanced as the game goes on, the world actually gets to breathe a little and show some range as well, and... I don't know. The gameplay once the demo got rolling was pretty nice, but everything in the post-demo areas just feels slightly more polished and enjoyable. Nearing endgame right now with my Technomancer (blighted everything all-day, baby) and I'm really pleased by how much this game went from 0 to 60 for me in terms of anticipation and enjoyment. I only just played the demo last week and now I'm 20-odd hours in and churning out every side quest b/c of the fun of it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wish the controls didn't have this weird acceleration on the right stick. I really want to play this like Gears of War with a gnasher but it's not quiiite right when I'm swinging the camera around to hipfire my shotgun.

e: evidently these settings are getting patched in soon. cool.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

AndrewP posted:

I wish the controls didn't have this weird acceleration on the right stick. I really want to play this like Gears of War with a gnasher but it's not quiiite right when I'm swinging the camera around to hipfire my shotgun.

e: evidently these settings are getting patched in soon. cool.

You can turn off mouse smoothing with an Input.ini update. Definitely helped me put my Warframe twitchiness to use.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Outriders#Mouse_smoothing

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Didn't realize I hated the motion blur until someone mentioned it. It's better turned off.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Echophonic posted:

You can turn off mouse smoothing with an Input.ini update. Definitely helped me put my Warframe twitchiness to use.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Outriders#Mouse_smoothing

Ah thanks, I'm on a Series X.

This seems like the perfect Gamepass game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I thought this would be a decent game after the demo, then after playing awhile I thought it was a good game, now I'm messing with endgame and I'm impressed.

The early early game is easily the worst part of the whole thing. There's a lot of multiplayer bugginess but it's relatively minor jank (except uh, that one that deletes your entire inventory), and I've been playing with friends since launch without many issues.

Really any issues I have with the game now are the kind of stuff that's inherent to this particular genre and the core gameplay choices they made, rather than any outright awful rough edges or terrible design decisions ruining my fun.

Definitely more fun with friends though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just can't get over how hard they nailed what's fun about looter shooter gear systems, and then let you run wild with theirs before you're anywhere near endgame. I'm at level 20 on my pyro now and I'm running a volcanic rounds/overheat build that feels like something I would have had to grind out over dozens of hours AFTER hitting endgame in a game like the Division or Diablo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s weird because it’s a super one-note game but the more I play it the more I like it. You would think I’d be getting bored but I’m not. I think it has just enough depth that you can tell really fast what kind of build you can make with what’s available but with enough really sharp differences you’ve still gotta think which option you want to go with. It’s less thinking two levels ahead so you don’t screw yourself and more constantly asking yourself if you want to be better at chunking people with magic bullets or your time sword.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The cost of upgrading items really ramps up after 43, you have to use the expedition currency too

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I want to combine these two guns into a horrible fusion monster, but I don't know which one to scrap and donate the III talent to...

I've also discovered that through the magic of math, my outrider who gives 50% more mag capacity to guns gets 3 shots out of a single-shot rifle.

~~~

It is done:

I liked how the 10 shotter handled more, and this gives you more opportunity to get the most out of those crits

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 6, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The armor pierce one is clearly better imo. Because weapons without armor pierce suck.

Edit: Oh wait, they have difference variants, I dunno.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope they buff anomaly damage because on high expeditions esp with more people in the game. It falls off hard.

Speaking of which are they gonna do any kind of patches for balance changes or anything? I leveled up a technomancer today and it is insane how much better they are at doing dmg with infinite ammo and infinite life regen from doing all the dmg to kill everything super fast. Played the entire game at wt 1 finished at lvl 26 and was clearing expeditions no problem after that and got up to t13, only stopped to play some coop with a friend.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 6, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

lol the Chrysaloid boss fight was such a colossal clusterfuck. And my reward? A legendary breach shotgun that's worse than my normal rare auto shotgun. GG.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't be the only one who is more excited to disassemble a legendary than to use one, can I? The idea of putting those mods on anything I want is far cooler to me than using any particular piece of junk, even if its stats are okay.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

initial thoughts are that this is far less useful than it seemed after I spent 2000 expedition bucks to buff it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you guys are just short of pushing expedition ranks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRtHTF3B3g

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Armor piercing vs Weapon damage? Does Armor piercing even do anything against beasts?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RatHat posted:

Armor piercing vs Weapon damage? Does Armor piercing even do anything against beasts?

I believe Armor Piercing works against enemies with the shield icon on their health bar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure literally all enemies have armor, it's just a stat they have like you do.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess since respeccing is free I can test it pretty easily.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
With regards to my Minigunner Technomancer I've talked about gear mods, I thought I might show you my skill tree and stats. Keep in mind this is Level 30 and only WT10, and the armour mods aren't even optimised ( I've got stuff like the crit stacking mod which doesn't even apply to the minigun as it doesn't seem to crit at all - I've been trying to have a consistent looking gear set - please bring in Transmog PCF! ).

So initially I was going all the way to the endcap but there's not enough skill points to go around and I wanted to get the Melee also causes Toxic, Toxic causes Vulnerable and Vulnerable is Super Effective skills. Works real nice with the Blighted Turret in debuffing things, but also means that when you amble up to a boss, you punch him to interrupt his casts and you make him squishier, what's not to love?

Here's my stats screen before I've summoned the Minigun.

Keep in mind I haven't upgraded my guns for a few levels and should probably get on that for when I'm in co-op and my Minigun isn't up, but at this stage the guns are only there for bringing Perpetuum Mobile to the table. If there are any other weapon mods that interact with the Minigun I'd sure like to try them

After I've summoned the Minigun

Oof look at that tanked Firepower, but check out that Weapon Damage Bonus! Damage Reduction is only at a measly 80%, this can absolutely be improved, there are gear pieces that gives you a flat armour and resistance increase ( although I suspect that the flat armour increase is probably only going to net you a couple extra percent of damage reduction and could be better used on mods that increase your damage ), and others that give you bonuses when you have enemies in close proximity ( also there's a Tools of Destruction gear mod that gives you 20% resistance ) but again, I have been trying to follow rule of cool rather than most optimal. Also the Technomancer's method of healing is doing a lot of work here.

I can't stress enough, you're slow - you're going to be taking a lot of hits as you get into range of your enemies, and you have to get around all that hip high cover when fighting Ferals and Insurgents ( the low angle of your Minigun is not doing you any favours ) but I've never been at high risk as long as I've got the Minigun out and shooting guys to keep leeching health, the only time I've died is when I've accidently triggered the Rocket Launcher or I've run out of bullets because I've not paid attention to the ammo counter and haven't kept a few adds around to regenerate more bullets ( Toxic Lead in conjunction with Perpetuum makes this a rare occurance, but if you pay attention you only need one of these mods ).

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 6, 2021

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
drat I came to see if there was any info to glean but I'm in early game and everything good is late. its loving awful its really really loving awful. I think ive lost just about a whole world level trying to get in. I've been stuck in the same part for 2 days now and its pretty much just "dying till something that helps me survive drops" both of my guns have absolutely tiny clip sizes. (3 round shotgun and 8 round rifle as a devastator no good effects on either of them) its just...the gently caress do I do to not die? I cant heal on my own (like a healing item?) just the regen you get when you arent getting shot which only lasts as long as my bullet reflect will last and i cant use the heal spike because 1. the enemies are too tough or 2. I have to run into the worst danger to hit someone I can kill with it and i still get melted.

The best guns I have dont do much dmg my armor is insufficent as 2 riflemen are doing more dmg than 4 armored enemies a large armored enemy if I get past the 5 armored assholes a wave of rabid melee dudes swarm me and pin me down somewhere so the fire guy can just unload and I cant stop all of them but they will all show up at the same time if I move around too much in the area.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 6, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AkumaHokoru posted:

drat I came to see if there was any info to glean but I'm in early game and everything good is late. its loving awful its really really loving awful. I think ive lost just about a whole world level trying to get in. I've been stuck in the same part for 2 days now and its pretty much just "dying till something that helps me survive drops" both of my guns have absolutely tiny clip sizes. (3 round shotgun and 8 round rifle as a devastator no good effects on either of them) its just...the gently caress do I do to not die? I cant heal on my own (like a healing item?) just the regen you get when you arent getting shot which only lasts as long as my bullet reflect will last and i cant use the heal spike because 1. the enemies are too tough or 2. I have to run into the worst danger to hit someone I can kill with it and i still get melted.

The best guns I have dont do much dmg my armor is insufficent as 2 riflemen are doing more dmg than 4 armored enemies a large armored enemy if I get past the 5 armored assholes a wave of rabid melee dudes swarm me and pin me down somewhere so the fire guy can just unload and I cant stop all of them but they will all show up at the same time if I move around too much in the area.

Turn down World tier, and turn off the setting that makes it auto apply the highest one. And you heal as Devastator by killing enemies at close range.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

RatHat posted:

Turn down World tier, and turn off the setting that makes it auto apply the highest one. And you heal as Devastator by killing enemies at close range.

Is it not tied to your character level or so? I'm like lvl 13 on world tier 6 I do have the close range kill skill on but this area its super bad to run because 2 additional waves come the second you move past the 2nd set of barricades. i guess turning the world level down is the only way im getting through this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I completed the game on max world tier as the devastator and I basically only managed to do it by hitting constant headshots and kiting forever. He does loving 0 damage until you get all the required mods. I ended up making an impale/reflect/golem build but half the bosses don't have anything to reflect (and also lock you out of respecting until you're done because gently caress you).

Shame, because I love the idea of the class, it just seems that the other three are way better. My first expedition I did 3.5 million damage to my technomancer friends 13.5 million.

I mean I guess I can sit in the "capture zone" forever and not die but I could also just kill everything.

I'm actually kind of wondering what the devastators role is. He can't do damage like the other classes. He can interrupt but so can other classes. You'd think maybe it's crowd control but again, the other classes also have tons of that. You can't even hold aggro

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

AkumaHokoru posted:

Is it not tied to your character level or so? I'm like lvl 13 on world tier 6 I do have the close range kill skill on but this area its super bad to run because 2 additional waves come the second you move past the 2nd set of barricades. i guess turning the world level down is the only way im getting through this.

It's been reiterated a lot in this thread, but raising WT can be a real impediment when you're just trying to progress through the story - there's no shame in setting it to something lower to allow you to get yourself geared up to confidently tackling the next tier. You don't get higher XP for a higher world tier, you just get higher level loot and higher level enemies, and higher level loot isn't doing you any favours if it's not immediately complementing the powers that you're using. At lower levels you aren't worried about trying to snatch the Epics and Legendaries, you want to be collecting and equipping blues, building on your mod library and trying out different mods with the powers at your disposal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

I completed the game on max world tier as the devastator and I basically only managed to do it by hitting constant headshots and kiting forever. He does loving 0 damage until you get all the required mods. I ended up making an impale/reflect/golem build but half the bosses don't have anything to reflect (and also lock you out of respecting until you're done because gently caress you).

Shame, because I love the idea of the class, it just seems that the other three are way better. My first expedition I did 3.5 million damage to my technomancer friends 13.5 million.

I mean I guess I can sit in the "capture zone" forever and not die but I could also just kill everything.

I'm actually kind of wondering what the devastators role is. He can't do damage like the other classes. He can interrupt but so can other classes. You'd think maybe it's crowd control but again, the other classes also have tons of that. You can't even hold aggro

In my first Devastator expedition I did 8 million damage compared to my pyromancer friend's 6 million. This gap has gotten larger over time. Also I am completely invincible and cannot possibly die (up to rank 10 so far anyway).

I just punch things constantly and use my gun solely to apply status effects, but I feel incredibly strong.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

dogstile posted:

The other 3 classes have ammo skills that poo poo out wild damage for zero effort.

Would have been nice for the devastator to have bleeding rounds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also the Devastator can kinda hold aggro just by standing in the middle of all the enemies. I mean you won't be able to stop small groups from peeling off to attack your allies, but when 80% are surrounding you it's not a huge deal.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

It's been reiterated a lot in this thread, but raising WT can be a real impediment when you're just trying to progress through the story - there's no shame in setting it to something lower to allow you to get yourself geared up to confidently tackling the next tier. You don't get higher XP for a higher world tier, you just get higher level loot and higher level enemies, and higher level loot isn't doing you any favours if it's not immediately complementing the powers that you're using. At lower levels you aren't worried about trying to snatch the Epics and Legendaries, you want to be collecting and equipping blues, building on your mod library and trying out different mods with the powers at your disposal.

yeah i just looked at the tiers tier 6 is like expert already so you can unlock the higher difficulty stuff and when you have "decent" gear or a skillset to rely on you can then turn it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clarste posted:

Also the Devastator can kinda hold aggro just by standing in the middle of all the enemies. I mean you won't be able to stop small groups from peeling off to attack your allies, but when 80% are surrounding you it's not a huge deal.

Last night I was rubbing shoulders with an enemy who was straight up ignoring my existence to try and finish off my friend, it just felt very silly :v:

I've seen some anomaly builds but yeah, it just seems I have to try a lot harder whereas if I was a class with twisted rounds I'd just press a button and immediately shred everyone without really thinking.

Also, fun fact, golem turns off if you try to revive with it on.