Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bideo James posted:

this movie loving SUCKED

counterpoint, it whipped rear end and was stupid as poo poo in all the right ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

punished milkman posted:

Lmao there are so many of articles like these. i have a small, bad brain but i’m 99% sure these are just straight FUD to make retail afraid of index funds since they are one of the few ways normal wage slaves can enjoy market gains while minimizing the chances of being a bag holding retail chump

buy vgro

that's what this one is saying

quote:

In recent decades, the whole economy has gone on autopilot. Index-fund investment is hyperconcentrated. So is online retail. So are pharmaceuticals. So is broadband. Name an industry, and it is likely dominated by a handful of giant players. That has led to all sorts of deleterious downstream effects: suppressing workers’ wages, raising consumer prices, stifling innovation, stoking inequality, and suffocating business creation. The problem is not just the indexers. It is the public markets they reflect, where more chaos, more speculation, more risk, more innovation, and more competition are desperately needed.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dustcat posted:

breaking up amazon would of course be good but it's completely orthogonal to the union status of its labor force

This was what I was wondering. Thanks. Just want to be clear that I definitely want the workers to be unionized regardless.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Judakel posted:

lmao no it didn't it made like 48 million

I think that was the US, globally including China it did ok. Movie would have been better with out all the humans in it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Number

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skooma512 posted:

Pretty sure that if you don't have a house already, and can't buy one in the next couple months, you're never owning a house.

quote from the upswing of every single housing mania in history.

this time is different though, I'm sure.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

quote from the upswing of every single housing mania in history.

may i interest you in a little bit of The Great Reset?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bideo James posted:

this movie loving SUCKED
How can one goon be so goddamned wrong
https://twitter.com/Harlack/status/1379194832061661184?s=19

I mean look at that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

that's what this one is saying

blackrock, vanguard, and state street own a majority stake between them of like nearly all the companies on the stock market

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Father Wendigo posted:

I mean look at that.

that's dumb as hell, why would godzilla just walk inside his reach like that, doesn't he have atomic breath or something

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

that's dumb as hell, why would godzilla just walk inside his reach like that, doesn't he have atomic breath or something

he can only use his breath weapon once per 1d4 rounds

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Dustcat posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1379018148570091522?s=21

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Father Wendigo posted:

I mean look at that.

the shear stupidity that surrounds the fights is breath taking.

and why was this dude in the movie. like wtf, most useless speaking character in any movie ever. guess they needed to burn a movie off whatever contract they signed with this guy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Went to the grocery store today, a package of chicken that was $7 last year is now $9.

If that does anything for "inflation" fans here.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Went to the grocery store today, a package of chicken that was $7 last year is now $9.

If that does anything for "inflation" fans here.

that's not inflation because food prices going up doesn't count as inflation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah food has never been in inflation (tm)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

pigz posted:

the shear stupidity that surrounds the fights is breath taking.

and why was this dude in the movie. like wtf, most useless speaking character in any movie ever. guess they needed to burn a movie off whatever contract they signed with this guy.

maybe he had an edition of his local paper delivered to his house warning him of the impending catastrophe one day early?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1379213644576264196?s=19

I still think credit Suisse will fail

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

euphronius posted:

yeah food has never been in inflation (tm)

the food component of cpi is actually the hardest to fake so lol if food takes off they're really gonna have to cook the numbers to keep headline inflation low

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shifty Pony posted:

it kind of is though, in that the full faith and credit of the US dollar is propping it up and so what happens when that fails is anyone’s guess

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops wrong thread

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 02:32 on Apr 6, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i may be misreading, but this sounds like you're referring to the meidner plan which doesn't sound like what you described earlier

the norwegian sovereign wealth fund also doesn't pay out anything to citizens, it's designed to make norway a rentier state in the long term

Idk I don't remember it well. It's here if you want to see exactly what it was
https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2018/08/28/tackling-inequality-through-the-social-ownership-of-capital/

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BigPaddy posted:

I think that was the US, globally including China it did ok. Movie would have been better with out all the humans in it.

yeah but thats total i think. including the money it made in china before it premiered here.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

It'd be swell if they bit it and were the domino that pushed SocGen and DB down too.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

i bought some calls on SPY on friday and sold them this morning for like 50% profit but if i had held on a few more hours it would have been like a 75% profit

do not grow addicted to number, lest it consume ye

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Disgusting

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://contention.substack.com/p/the-us-government-is-lying-about

And all of the data suggests that things are especially bad right now. Even with its funny numbers, CPI food prices were up 3.6% year-over-year. Worldwide things are even worse -- food costs have increased 50% since last summer, driven by trade breakdowns and financial speculation.

The CPI also hides housing expenses by concocting an “Owner-Equivalent Rent” (OER) figure as its largest single component, supposedly translating housing capital costs to a consumer cost. According to the OER, housing prices are only up 2% over the last year, while the Case-Shiller Housing Index -- which the CPI used to track -- is up 10.3%, the most ever. The CPI actually says that housing inflation is at a 10-year low.

Businesses are seeing increased input costs too, with the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) survey of small businesses reporting the highest level of its members raising prices since 2008. Commodities have surged in price, a new commodity “supercycle” driving up consumer prices as businesses increasingly pass on their costs.

This is happening because COVID has created a “persistent reallocation shock,” a permanent change in production and demand that will likely take years to work out. This could mean a “regime shift” from 30 years of low inflation to ever-accelerating costs.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mila kunis posted:

https://contention.substack.com/p/the-us-government-is-lying-about

And all of the data suggests that things are especially bad right now. Even with its funny numbers, CPI food prices were up 3.6% year-over-year. Worldwide things are even worse -- food costs have increased 50% since last summer, driven by trade breakdowns and financial speculation.

The CPI also hides housing expenses by concocting an “Owner-Equivalent Rent” (OER) figure as its largest single component, supposedly translating housing capital costs to a consumer cost. According to the OER, housing prices are only up 2% over the last year, while the Case-Shiller Housing Index -- which the CPI used to track -- is up 10.3%, the most ever. The CPI actually says that housing inflation is at a 10-year low.

Businesses are seeing increased input costs too, with the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) survey of small businesses reporting the highest level of its members raising prices since 2008. Commodities have surged in price, a new commodity “supercycle” driving up consumer prices as businesses increasingly pass on their costs.

This is happening because COVID has created a “persistent reallocation shock,” a permanent change in production and demand that will likely take years to work out. This could mean a “regime shift” from 30 years of low inflation to ever-accelerating costs.

100% caused by supply shocks, speculation and the pandemic but also 100% going to be blamed on the stimmies and used as a cudgel against wealth redistribution for the foreseeable future

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Global supply chains are going to be less competitive going forward. The container lines are pulling it in hand over fist now. The cheap container freight party is over.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this article is titled “The New Financial Oligarchy”...

i am harry has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Apr 6, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

This is a Number Heresy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Is number hungry for Autarky

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

:pray:

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

oxsnard posted:

the food component of cpi is actually the hardest to fake so lol if food takes off they're really gonna have to cook the numbers to keep headline inflation low

cooking the number to eat as a delicious snack

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

i am harry posted:

I mean by definition it is worse, because Marxism is good :eng101:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It'd be swell if they bit it and were the domino that pushed SocGen and DB down too.

I want this so goddamn much.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only real criticism of index funds that i know are that they make the whole stock market much more brittle and that there’s some funky stuff going on with them lending out stocks or something similar to enable some financial chicanery among traders

otherwise they are absolutely the only way for plebs to invest and not loose money for retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/acpandy/status/1379368224949690372?s=19

https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1379382927428091912?s=19

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1379382710364467202?s=19