Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My biggest problem with the modulars isn’t really the cost because it’s annual. It’s just that they take a very large amount of space to display once you get past a few.

To be fair, this is generally my problem with lego sets as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In that event either build out your whole basement as a lord business style lego museum or limit your displays to a single location and rotate stuff out regularly.

Disassemble sets into their own bags so you can rebuild them later!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

In that event either build out your whole basement as a lord business style lego museum or limit your displays to a single location and rotate stuff out regularly.

Disassemble sets into their own bags so you can rebuild them later!

Stop posting from inside my house, thanks.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Speed champs are starting to leak. This looks better than I thought it would, but the dragster needs slicks. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNGtoCJlCL/?igshid=sc1kceyhrfxm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

My biggest problem with the modulars isn’t really the cost because it’s annual. It’s just that they take a very large amount of space to display once you get past a few.

To be fair, this is generally my problem with lego sets as an adult.

The modulars are at least much tidier than sets like Apocalypseburg and Barracuda Bay, which have a much more sprawling and awkward footprint.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Speed champs are starting to leak. This looks better than I thought it would, but the dragster needs slicks. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNGtoCJlCL/?igshid=sc1kceyhrfxm
They used the "slicks" wheel cover at least, which is about the closest they're coming these days. Actual slick tires of that size would be far more ideal, yeah. Feelin' a little underwhelmed by the Challenger. It's fine, just very by-the-books at a glance I guess. Hard to see for sure with this resolution.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The modulars are at least much tidier than sets like Apocalypseburg and Barracuda Bay, which have a much more sprawling and awkward footprint.
Yeah. I bought Barracuda Bay because it's just so good, but they'd have to do something amazing to ever get me to buy a set that awkward to display again. I had to give the thing its own wall shelf.

Whereas the modulars fit nicely on a range of bookshelves and display cabinets (so long as they have adjustable shelves to accommodate the verticality). But there's enough of them now that the width starts to become a space issue, so I'm picky about the ones I get. The bookshop and diner have bright, happy colors that I love, but I skipped the corner garage.

Probably not an issue if you live in a house, but unfortunately I rent in a city.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 3, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This is an interesting topic to me even though I have zero skin in the game. It seems like there hasn't been much science done on yellowing plastics, or at least, not much that retrobright enthusiasts have found. That second link (and other things I have read) suggest that the yellowing is caused by bromides that are floating around in the plastic. Retrobright removes the bromides from the surface, but over time, bromides from deeper in the plastic move to the surface, and yellow the plastic again. It makes me wonder if it is possible to fully restore a plastic by retrobrighting it every few years as more and more bromides come to the surface, until they are all removed or whatever retrobright does to them. But would that cause the plastic to become brittle? Also, what's with that one example where there was a "shadow" of a cord that was blocking UV from hitting the plastic under it. When the plastic re-yellowed, that shadow started to come back. Does UV damage just make it easier for the bromides to flow through the plastic? So because that bit of the plastic wasn't exposed to UV, the bromides can't get through it as easily as they can through the rest of the surface that was UV damaged? I'm sure there's all kinds of cool stuff that could be researched about this stuff if someone was inclined to do so.

Anyway, how bout those LEGO brand building blocks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not sure about about LEGO, but for vintage Kenner yellowing I’ve always just plopped them in a ventilated jar of 6% peroxide and left it in the sun for a few days. Works great for yellowing, less so for “pinking” but that’s mostly an issue with flexible plastics.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

3% hydrogren peroxide is all that seems to be readily available in the US so that's what I use (its about $1 per quart at the supermarket). If its the summer and bright outside I'll do that, otherwise I use a 50W UV LED light on my kitchen counter. Takes much longer, but in the winter or when otherwise overcast and cold I wouldn't be able to do anything otherwise. I get best results on whites because you can just leave those pieces in there forever until they brighten up, but lately I've been using it on old light gray to fix up some castle sets. You can use it on printed pieces too, but I've found you need to be careful as the printing can get a little soft and able to be rubbed off by other pieces in the container so I try to do those separate now. The trick with colors in general is to check often, have known good bricks on hand to compare the color and stop when you get close enough.

Before I got the UV light I did the sous vide method and had some success with that as well, it requires a little more setup and some experimentation with the temp to find out what works best for you.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
the VIP Lego Space coin is over $200 on eBay, what the christ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lego should just make more. I looked at the octan one and would have been interested, but it doesn't even say Octan on it, it just has the logo which looks dumb on its own.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Better pics of the new Speed Champions set on Promobricks and excuse me but what the gently caress

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This Gundam is POOH

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Probably an extremely small group of people who might get any use out of this, but anyone in Melbourne who is looking for the Spring Lantern Festival, they have some at the Jurassic World exhibition.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Friend sent me this:
https://gizmodo.com/stud-covered-sequencer-uses-lego-bricks-to-build-beats-1846607084

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8hOuTgt8g

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mechanized Pooh, Piglet and the rest of the crew would be very cool.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://i.imgur.com/2Y0kzQX.mp4

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
That's amazing

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Definitely expensive but not really a fan tbh

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I like the hidden inside stuff but the outside is too colorful. Could do something interesting instead of a vomit of color

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think the mix of color on the outside is great. It makes the little environments even more of a surprise when they're revealed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just don't get the vignettes. Pot farm to running a mobile pet grooming service to a baseball game? I guess if those are the most important things in that person's life that's great but hacking up a closet do it is further than I'd ever take my obsessions.

Fill that closet with cardboard boxes of junk like a normal human! :v:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm not a huge fan of the design or execution, but I respect the effort.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

xzzy posted:

I just don't get the vignettes. Pot farm to running a mobile pet grooming service to a baseball game? I guess if those are the most important things in that person's life that's great but hacking up a closet do it is further than I'd ever take my obsessions.

Fill that closet with cardboard boxes of junk like a normal human! :v:

Looks like just a corner of a room. He might have just thrown up a frame and drywall with a doorway to create a closet just to have a place to build that. It's a weird combination of rooms, but if they're at all indicative of how he spends his time then I'm guessing he's got quite a bit of spare money on hand. Forget the mobile pet grooming though, just launder your pot money buying Lego sets then selling bulk Lego pieces by the pound. You probably wouldn't even lose much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Afaik that is in Jakes Pauls house lol. Either that or it's another thing by the same artist because he has the same thing.

It's a neat idea but the actual builds inside are really basic except the grow house which is pretty good tbh.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://twitter.com/analogxdigital/status/1081911747026382849

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What a weird thing to get defensive over.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
There's a video floating around now with photos somebody took of the 2021 Speed Champions Dodge set. I've screenshooted 'em here so you don't have to watch it / can get a longer look.

That dragster is loving huge.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Not sure how I feel about the rims on the Challenger, but since they're printed I can see them being useful for other things at least.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 6, 2021

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Have you guys seen this bit of news/drama? https://www.thebrickfan.com/former-bricklink-design-program-projects-sold-by-clone-company/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That rear bumper is breaking my brain. Those corner pieces can't be 1x1 studs because of the bracket above them, but they can't be tiles either because it doesn't have the little ridge on the bottom for your fingernails.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xzzy posted:

That rear bumper is breaking my brain. Those corner pieces can't be 1x1 studs because of the bracket above them, but they can't be tiles either because it doesn't have the little ridge on the bottom for your fingernails.

sǝʇɐןd ǝuo ʎq ǝuo ǝɹ,ʎǝɥʇ

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
It's possible that it's upside down. The number plate is an upside down 1x2 wedge, so that section might all be inverted.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Good for him, strange that he's participate knowing he had a deal with a different company.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

Better pics of the new Speed Champions set on Promobricks and excuse me but what the gently caress

.....what? What the gently caress is going on here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the wheels are just dishes shoved into a tire?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The dragsters tires look small in that picture.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I thought that looked like Leah Pruett(Pritchett). https://moparinsiders.com/leaked-the-new-dodge-lego-speed-champions-set-for-2021/

If they're working with Dodge, maybe we'll get some Roadkill cars to show up. 😃

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

GlenMR posted:

It's possible that it's upside down. The number plate is an upside down 1x2 wedge, so that section might all be inverted.
Yup, and you can see inverted 1 x 3 tiles just under the lights. The whole lower fascia appears to be upside-down.

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

So the wheels are just dishes shoved into a tire?
Been trying to figure that out, myself.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 6, 2021