Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving :drat:

In 2015, Congress authorized payments of $4.44 million to each of these people, $10,000 for each day of their captivity.

Who are Slaves?
Who are Guantanamo Bay prisoners?
Who are Japanese internment camp survivors?

Way to name US atrocities and crimes against humanity. I love it. But nope, the answer was those Americans held by Iran militants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1379255242080931841

Rodgers seemed half-asleep but we'll see if he perks up later in the week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zesty posted:

In 2015, Congress authorized payments of $4.44 million to each of these people, $10,000 for each day of their captivity.

Who are Slaves?

Way to name US atrocities and crimes against humanity. I love it. But nope, the answer was those Americans held by Iran militants.

I was swerved there too, I can't believe we gave millions to those loving chumps but we still debate paying other people we actually abused.

Also Rodgers was fun, he's very low energy but he's a charming guy and his reaction to that one guy's final answer was gold. Don't want him as the host for good but I'd be shocked if he was in the running for it genuinely so I don't mind two weeks of him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My answer was the Japanese internment camp survivors :negative:

I thought Rodgers was good. I mean, his voice could use a little bit more intonation, but he ran through the clues really quickly and I thought he had good rhythm. For a guy who has basically zero experience doing this sort of thing and who throws a ball for a living, I think he did a great job for his first night.

While the final answer was funny I also want to shout out the same guy for choosing "fortune favours the bald" to start the game.

LOL Ken

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Zesty posted:

Who are Slaves?

I'm old enough to remember that the hostages were held for 444 days but yeah, that's quite the list.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I liked Rodgers, he’s likeable.

He is clearly trying to pronounce stuff more clearly than he does in regular life.

At least he didn’t swear this time, and have it left in the broadcast cause he mumbles so much.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol sackbut

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Rodgers seemed half-asleep but we'll see if he perks up later in the week.

Agreed, but count me in as someone who was liking Rodgers so far.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Since last night I have seen three articles about how Rodgers is a front-runner to be the permanent host.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/5/22368705/aaron-rodgers-jeopardy-guest-host-q-and-a

https://slate.com/culture/2021/04/aaron-rodgers-promising-debut-as-jeopardy-guest-host.html

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/why-aaron-rodgers-cant-pass-up-being-the-next-jeopardy-host-if-offered-full-time-gig.html

Giant thinking emoji goes here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This one? :thunk:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
LeVar Burton has been really hamming it up about the calls for him to host

https://mobile.twitter.com/levarburton/status/1379270045478449164

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I think that's all just stemming from his comments about how he'd love to be the permanent host. Sports writers are eating it up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it seems the origins are just he literally said 'oh yea if they offered me it I'd love to take it' which...yea no poo poo he obviously enjoys doing it and all...but nobody's actually making waves about him getting it beyond sports folks all 'huh, that'd be cool, we like him and that'd be kinda a funny career arc for him wouldn't it?'

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm really enjoying all of the [Aaron Rodger's team] rival fans who are SUPER UPSET that they have to see him on their TV in a non-sports context.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet Chicagoans were confused when he said "go (Cal) Bears" last night

Edit: Cal, not UCLA, duh

CPColin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CPColin posted:

I bet Chicagoans were confused when he said "go (UCLA) Bears" last night

I assume it will make the rounds as a soundbite on Twitter :)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Poque posted:

I assume it will make the rounds as a soundbite on Twitter :)

I think it has already.

While I think it's unlikely, how would Rodgers as Jeopardy host & QB work? Monday is traditionally a off day so barring injury from a prior game, it should work with charter flights (night games being on non taping weeks). Wednesday is tricky though unless he gets traded to the Chargers or Rams.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Every guest host is getting stories about how they are totally the finalist for the full time gig... Really for real this time you guys! I know we said it was Ken but then Dr. Oz really locked it down but then Aaron Rogers nailed it in one episode!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Have Watson host.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I never noticed before, but Aaron Rodgers really looks like Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zero One posted:

Every guest host is getting stories about how they are totally the finalist for the full time gig... Really for real this time you guys! I know we said it was Ken but then Dr. Oz really locked it down but then Aaron Rogers nailed it in one episode!

It's because Sony really kind of botched this from a PR standpoint; a lot of people seem to think that all of these guest hosts have somehow made it through a process of elimination and these are like a final round of auditions, when even Mike Richards has said, "No, we just wanted to do a charity drive to round out the end of season 37 while we figure things out."

But ultimately, I don't think the new host is going to be a name that everyone recognizes. I think it'll be a name that some people recognize, for sure--Trebek wasn't a household name when he took over Jeopardy in 1984, but he'd been on TV off and on in both Canada and the US since the '60s--but it'll be more of an "Oh, that person, okay" pick as opposed to someone who's been front and center to audiences for a decade or more. Trebek always said that the star of Jeopardy isn't the host, it's the contestants, and I think Richards and the rest of the crew understand that; they aren't going to pick someone whose name (and, potentially, personality) would instantaneously overshadow the brand of the show itself.

Trebek himself suggested Laura Coates, who would be a really interesting pick and change of pace. But in any event, we're not going to see an A-list celebrity take over the show for the long haul.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All hosts from now on are guest hosts, even if they settle on someone who stays for the next decade. Host of Jeopardy is the new Steward of Gondor

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Where was Dr. Oz when the Westfold category fell?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

All hosts from now on are guest hosts, even if they settle on someone who stays for the next decade. Host of Jeopardy is the new Steward of Gondor

Jeopardy has no host. Jeopardy needs no host.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I’m still incredibly suspicious of Mike Richards—every article I read about Rodgers hosting seems to be filled with comments about how he’s fine, but Dreamy Mike Richards should be the permanent host

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

Jeopardy has no host. Jeopardy needs no host.

This is AI Jeopardy!

Today's contestants are Alexa, Cortana and Siri

And now the host of AI Jeopardy! Watson

Thank you Johnny 5...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Don’t we have the technology to just do an Alex hologram?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wouldn't trust them to execute it the way this is going but I do think in theory it would be valid to decide no one person is capable of replacing Alex and shift to a model of maybe 4 people sharing the role over the course of a season for a while.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Spokes posted:

I’m still incredibly suspicious of Mike Richards—every article I read about Rodgers hosting seems to be filled with comments about how he’s fine, but Dreamy Mike Richards should be the permanent host
Same here. I can't put my finger on it, but something gives me the feeling he's setting up a "Shucks, I guess I'll host if everyone wants me to" situation. It's entirely possible the last five years have broken my brain when it comes to spotting manipulation, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Same here. I can't put my finger on it, but something gives me the feeling he's setting up a "Shucks, I guess I'll host if everyone wants me to" situation. It's entirely possible the last five years have broken my brain when it comes to spotting manipulation, though.

I really, genuinely doubt Richards is going to add "host" to his already extensive duties as executive producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Again, these guest hosts aren't auditions or anything. They'll announce the new host sometime this summer, when they announce the start date for season 38.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with this.

Timby posted:

I really, genuinely doubt Richards is going to add "host" to his already extensive duties as executive producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Again, these guest hosts aren't auditions or anything. They'll announce the new host sometime this summer, when they announce the start date for season 38.

I'd be willing to bet he gives both of those up in an instant to be host of Jeopardy, though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Spokes posted:

Are you friends with my mom on Facebook or something?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

Are you friends with my mom on Facebook or something?

She might be friends with mine since she's said the same to me. My mom doesn't use social media however.

As for Rodgers, she's vaguely aware he's in sports but gets more vibes of him being Ray Romano

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Me to Mr Hookshot: “Well, it can’t be LBJ, he was sworn in on a plane because he was flying across the country when Kennedy was killed, so I’m going to go with Truman.”

:suicide:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HookShot posted:

I'm really enjoying all of the [Aaron Rodger's team] rival fans who are SUPER UPSET that they have to see him on their TV in a non-sports context.

People performatively whining about Rodgers has been a thing since he won his superbowl.

As someone who likes him I think he's doing fine but don't see why anyone think he's knocking it out of the park enough to be the permanent host.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Me to Mr Hookshot: “Well, it can’t be LBJ, he was sworn in on a plane because he was flying across the country when Kennedy was killed, so I’m going to go with Truman.”

:suicide:

We got really made because “cabin” tripped us up. We both went with TR even though I didn’t think it quite made sense.

Bad wording of the question in my opinion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I don't know why, but the mention of a sweltering cabin with shades closed instantly drew me to Camp David, which couldn't have been further off the mark

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My mind went to McKinley immediately, thinking cabin => Roosevelt made sense for some reason. Then just as the music was ending it occurred to me that "sweltering" and "Buffalo, NY" don't go together, so switched right at the last second. It seemed to imply chaos and sudden change of guard, so went with LBJ because of the only other 20th century assassination.

I honestly didn't expect it to be right since I had the image of him being sworn in on the plane stuck in my head, so I was pretty surprised that I got it right.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Assumed it was an assumption of the presidency, and got lucky that "cabin" connected with "airplane" for me when I went through mid-term appointments in that century. First thought was like a log cabin, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I thought it had to do with Coolidge being sworn in at 2am by his dad in Vermont. I assumed AF1 would've been well lit.