Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Got really into Cadence of Hyrule and will pick up Crypt of the NecroDancer when it released on April 30th. What other cool rhythm games or dungeon rougelikes should I try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Necrodancer has been out on switch for a while now. Are they re-releasing something?

Necrodancer's a wonderful game, it's got a learning curve but it's so good.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Physical release and collectors release out at the end of then month. I prefer to have the little bit of plastic even though I can get it for 4$ right now because im very stupid (see Metroid opinions for 3 pages ago).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Got really into Cadence of Hyrule and will pick up Crypt of the NecroDancer when it released on April 30th. What other cool rhythm games or dungeon rougelikes should I try?

Binding of Isaac

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dungeon Roguelikes: Tangledeep is a really good console-style roguelike. Reminds me of a PS1 roguelike in the best possible way

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I tried binding of Isaac but could not get into it. Sold it for Cadence of Hyrule.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dungeon Roguelikes: Tangledeep is a really good console-style roguelike. Reminds me of a PS1 roguelike in the best possible way

It's also gorgeous.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Binding of Isaac

It's certainly the easiest, given that I can actually beat it with some regularity, despite almost never getting the cool poo poo (I have literally never gotten the knife since it launched on PS Plus in 2014).

The final update (all of which have been free) is supposed to be "this summer".

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Check out Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells. Both are good but I think Gungeon is the better game. Cells gets too hard too quickly and the increase in difficulty is primarily due to unfun game mechanics in higher difficulty.

I tried binding of Isaac but could not get into it. Sold it for Cadence of Hyrule.

What couldn't you get into with Isaac? I'm curious because I bought it several years ago and bounced off it. Last year I got really into Cadence, which made me check out Gungeon, which lead to Dead Cells, which finally made me revisit Isaac. Then Isaac clicked real hard with me and I played it exclusively for a good 150 hours and still drop in every now and then. What I'm trying to say is maybe give Isaac a second chance because that's what I did and I'm glad I did 'cause it's fun as heck.

PS: I have Cadence of Hyrule too and I think it's one of the weakest roguelikes I've played, despite having some of the best damned music.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Actually it was last Friday. Repentance. Its really good

Edit: Oh poo poo sorry just realised i was in the switch thread yeah itll be later in the year

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tangledeep is legit awesome and as far as I know the only proper roguelike on the system.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lodin posted:

Tangledeep is legit awesome and as far as I know the only proper roguelike on the system.

Oh ya this game is really good too! It's the most traditional roguelike in my Switch library. I got a good 35-40 hours out of it.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Wildtortilla posted:

What couldn't you get into with Isaac?

The art and lack of vibrant colors. And frankly, it was hard and im terrible at games.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Isaac is a good game loop couched in a bad aesthetic. My biggest criticism is that a lot of the enemies are tedious to fight unless you get a serious steamroll going - it would probably benefit from enemy HPs being slashed by 33% across the board, or scaling with your power or something

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lodin posted:

There is a Shiren the Wanderer game now which I didn't try but people seem to like it. It's the Japanese style of "Roguelike" though like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or the Chocobo games. Tangledeep feels more like a consolized Western Roguelike

Not a Children posted:

Isaac is a good game loop couched in a bad aesthetic. My biggest criticism is that a lot of the enemies are tedious to fight unless you get a serious steamroll going - it would probably benefit from enemy HPs being slashed by 33% across the board, or scaling with your power or something

I played a lot of gungeon and Hades I was absolutely obsessed with and it made me realize that aesthetics are a lot more important than I admit (I could not get into Isaac at all, mostly because of the presentation)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lodin posted:

The newest Shiren the Wanderer is on switch too, it’s a long running series of traditional roguelikes. Personally I enjoyed it more than tangledeep although they’re different enough that I think it depends on what you’re looking for.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lodin posted:

There’s also a Shiren the Wanderer game and a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but Tangledeep is better than either. (E: well that was fast)

For rogue-lites, I’m surprised no one mentioned Hades yet! I also enjoyed Immortal Redneck (fps) and Everspace (arcade space shooter), but I haven’t tried the Switch ports.

Dicey Dungeons is a great Slay-the-Spire-style puzzler, but with dice placement instead of deck building. Less depth, but it doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Fingers crossed for Demoncrawl!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 6, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In that vein there's also a Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game on Switch!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The isaac expansion released five years ago sucked complete rear end and it's miraculous that the game stayed so popular. The new (final) expansion released last week on PC is extremely extremely good so when it releases on switch I would encourage ex-Isaacers to give it a shot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh I forgot Hades too! Goodness I'm out of it today (got monhun on the mind).

Hades is great and one of the best games I played last year.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, are you guys telling me there's a Shiren the Wanderer game on Switch? :v:

Apropos roguelikes, the guy making Jupiter Hell has finally announced that it's coming to consoles at some point. It already has a publisher and once the august PC launch date grows closer work on ports will begin. It's pretty much doom only top down and turnbased. Works way better than you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8hfy0GopQ

E: And yes it looks very much like DOOMRL and that's because it's made by the same guy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh I forgot Hades too! Goodness I'm out of it today (got monhun on the mind).

Hades is great and one of the best games I played last year.

Hades is so good. Between that and MH Rise I've been getting obsessed with games I didn't think I'd really be into

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lodin posted:

Wait, are you guys telling me there's a Shiren the Wanderer game on Switch? :v:

Apropos roguelikes, the guy making Jupiter Hell has finally announced that it's coming to consoles at some point. It already has a publisher and once the august PC launch date grows closer work on ports will begin. It's pretty much doom only top down and turnbased. Works way better than you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8hfy0GopQ

There is but turns out it's a port of a 2010 DS game/2015 Vita game :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiren_the_Wanderer:_The_Tower_of_Fortune_and_the_Dice_of_Fate

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hades is so good. Between that and MH Rise I've been getting obsessed with games I didn't think I'd really be into

At the risk of sounding pretentious, Hades and Rise didn't get me into these kinds of games, but I love them so much and appreciate everything they do to make the game more accessible because all those things make it more fun for me, too! I'm so excited for a broader group of people to experience the types of games I love so much, but are a hard sell for whatever reason. It's a great time for game design making obtuse/challenging games more accessible. Everyone deserves to have fun! :D

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah roguelikes are doing better generally at gently acclimating players to their—sometimes—punishing style and it’s awesome.

I’ve always been especially fond of them for the organic way a run can grow, and the shared language around the game that develops. Makes for some of the most fun stories. The best RLs, to me, have wonderfully intricate interlocking systems that play off one another by chance, leading to some unpredictable poo poo in the offing.

People have already mentioned a bunch of RLs for Switch, but after doing some research I’ll mention Crown Trick. Looks fairly traditional with some nice modern stylings, and folks in the roguelike thread seemed to like it.

Also, Dicey Dungeons is on sale rn.

That’s really cool about Jupiter Hell. I never got to play Doom RL due to visual inaccessibility.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

BisterdDave posted:

I downloaded the MH Rise demo just to try it out before buying, since I'm still kind of hesitant on whether I'll enjoy a MH game or not. I hear the demo isn't a really good representation of the game as a whole though, especially for newcomers to the series?

Rise is my first MH and I'm glad I decided to give it a chance but the demo is not a good representation. After the tutorial quests which at least give you an ok idea of the basics, the intermediate fight is against a fairly tough monster that you're not going to run into until midgame at which point you'll have crafted a bunch of gear and gotten a much better feel for things. I died so many times in the demo and I think in the actual game I only even got knocked out twice before getting to that monster hours into the game. If the idea of "hunt monster, get parts to make cooler weapons and armor, hunt bigger monster" sounds compelling to you, watch some youtube videos and see if it looks like something you'd enjoy. The demo just makes the game seem way more hard and obtuse than it actually is.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

deong posted:

Do you have a good set up guide for the switch controls?
I just picked up DOOM eternal on the sale, and a sn30pro+. I enabled both gyro and stick and it's helped, but if i can get it better.... I'm bad at it...

I'm playing handheld on my Switch Lite with defaults, sorry amigo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Pablo Nergigante posted:

In that vein there's also a Chocobo Mystery Dungeon game on Switch!

It's a really good port, adds a bunch of nice stuff to the Wii version.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

robot roll call posted:

Rise is my first MH and I'm glad I decided to give it a chance but the demo is not a good representation. After the tutorial quests which at least give you an ok idea of the basics, the intermediate fight is against a fairly tough monster that you're not going to run into until midgame at which point you'll have crafted a bunch of gear and gotten a much better feel for things. I died so many times in the demo and I think in the actual game I only even got knocked out twice before getting to that monster hours into the game. If the idea of "hunt monster, get parts to make cooler weapons and armor, hunt bigger monster" sounds compelling to you, watch some youtube videos and see if it looks like something you'd enjoy. The demo just makes the game seem way more hard and obtuse than it actually is.

Yeah, sounds like the demo may not be the best way to go for trying out MH for the first time. I'm dumb and forgot MH World is on gamepass, so I'll most likely dip my toes into that to get a sense for what the series has to offer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There has never been a good (edit: Monster Hunter) demo, they don't actually give a good idea of what the gameplay loop is like and are not an accurate representation of the game

Editing in Monster Hunter before 8 pages of "but DQ11s was good" since y'all don't know what context is

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the best demo was the yakuza 6 demo for ps4 that was accidentally the entire game

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’m still playing MH Ultimate Generations lol. It’s so long I don’t think I’ll ever play Rise.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The best demos are the ones that let you transfer your demo progress to the full game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rise is easily the best in the series, although I miss the endless-hunt style quests the rampage mode is a hell of a lot of fun especially in a group.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’m still playing MH Ultimate Generations lol. It’s so long I don’t think I’ll ever play Rise.

Generations is stupid baby garbage, comparatively. Yeah GenU has a FUCKLOAD of content but it feels so sluggish.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Generations is stupid baby garbage, comparatively. Yeah GenU has a FUCKLOAD of content but it feels so sluggish.

These toys that I’m enjoying are baby garbage!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Happy Hedonist posted:

These toys that I’m enjoying are baby garbage!!

Hahha, I know. I'm just teasing. GenU was killer when it came out and I still love it for Prowler mode.

Rise is just SOOOO good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

robot roll call posted:

I remember Mon Hun Tri-U for the WiiU the demo fight was Lagombi and boy was that fucker not easy in the demo gear at least if you had never played Mon Hun before. I tried the hard fight once and almost noped right out of the game. loving underwater Plesioth fight. Thankfully underwater fights weren't that common.

I think that might have been the last mon hun with underwater fighting.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

A friend of mine is the person at Build-A-Bear that created and launched the Animal Crossing line and she is not having a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s crazy how MH has gone from this niche series for hardcore gamers to being Capcom’s biggest selling franchise