Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't JBL ask Regal "Do you think he killed the boy?" right before the interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

bessantj posted:

I've just seen the two part Dark Side of the Right episodes on Chris Benoit and was wondering of William Regal ever spoke at length about Benoit's death? There was an interesting comment from Jericho, he says he wasn't at the memorial show, he was at home with a bottle of vodka trying to process Benoit's death. Then he sees Regal come on the screen and say something like "All I'll say is Chris Benoiot was one of the hardest workers in wrestling." After he saw that Jericho said knew that what he had heard wasn't the whole story.

Quoting myself from earlier itt:

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Regal’s eulogy, especially, seemed like he had just learned the truth of the murders/suicide and he had to choose his words VERY carefully.

https://youtu.be/Kp3OQAL22T8

IIRC, the news of what really happened broke about a half-hour or so into Raw’s broadcast that night, so there was a very real possibility that everyone present learned about the situation as the show was already on the air. The mood as the show went on certainly went from reverence for the actual person to polite respect for performer and his accomplishments.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think Regal had also had a number of increasingly weird encounters with Benoit over the previous year or so too, right? Like one where Benoit invited Regal over to watch wrestling tapes, and then when Regal showed up Benoit claimed he had no memory of inviting him and told him to leave at once. Considering how long Regal had known Benoit, I imagine he at least had a hunch about what had happened before the news even started coming through.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Regal had also had a number of increasingly weird encounters with Benoit over the previous year or so too, right? Like one where Benoit invited Regal over to watch wrestling tapes, and then when Regal showed up Benoit claimed he had no memory of inviting him and told him to leave at once. Considering how long Regal had known Benoit, I imagine he at least had a hunch about what had happened before the news even started coming through.

Yea I don't think Regal actually KNEW when he recorded, he just had a pretty good idea given that they hung out outside of work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BodyMassageMachine posted:

IIRC, the news of what really happened broke about a half-hour or so into Raw’s broadcast that night

I believe WWE had been informed by the police that the scene was being investigated as a murder-suicide several hours before Raw started airing, and word started to get out around the locker room like halfway through the show, which was around the same time that the Atlanta PD gave an update to the public. I remember there being a very, very stark line of demarcation when all of a sudden the tributes from wrestlers stopped being about what a dedicated family man he was, and instead people began saying really vague things like, "He was a really hard worker." I think Regal's might have been the first one of the latter, actually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

I believe WWE had been informed by the police that the scene was being investigated as a murder-suicide several hours before Raw started airing, and word started to get out around the locker room like halfway through the show, which was around the same time that the Atlanta PD gave an update to the public. I remember there being a very, very stark line of demarcation when all of a sudden the tributes from wrestlers stopped being about what a dedicated family man he was, and instead people began saying really vague things like, "He was a really hard worker." I think Regal's might have been the first one of the latter, actually.

Yeah WWE executives knew around 5 PM Eastern time, maybe a little earlier.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the answers. It was a serious shift in tone. But unless you know what actually happened then you are likely to give a fawning eulogy because Benoit had been so important to WWE at the time. They way they talked about how he just broke down after Eddie's death a well it did seem like he was on a course fro something like this to happen but you wouldn't know until the event happened and you could look back and piece it all together.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the answers. It was a serious shift in tone. But unless you know what actually happened then you are likely to give a fawning eulogy because Benoit had been so important to WWE at the time. They way they talked about how he just broke down after Eddie's death a well it did seem like he was on a course fro something like this to happen but you wouldn't know until the event happened and you could look back and piece it all together.
This reminds me, who was it that was said to be on "death watch" after Eddie's passing? I think I was mostly reading 411mania boards at the time so I'm not sure how widespread of story it was. Certainly seems very clickbaity in retrospect!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Minidust posted:

This reminds me, who was it that was said to be on "death watch" after Eddie's passing? I think I was mostly reading 411mania boards at the time so I'm not sure how widespread of story it was. Certainly seems very clickbaity in retrospect!

I know what you’re referring too and I’m pretty sure it was Kurt Angle.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Who are the best wrestlers who never worked for Vincent Kennedy McMahon-Dammit in any capacity and hypothetically could have?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Power Windows posted:

Who are the best wrestlers who never worked for Vincent Kennedy McMahon-Dammit in any capacity and hypothetically could have?

The Maestro.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Power Windows posted:

Hayabusa

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Power Windows posted:

Bruiser Brody
Magnum TA
David Von Erich
Marc "Black Tiger" Rocco
Dick "Destroyer" Beyer
The Sheik (Ed Farhat, not the Iron Sheik)
Bill Dundee
"No Class" Bobby Bass
Hijo Del Santo
Dory Funk Jr.
Shinya Hashimoto

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 6, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gavok posted:

The Maestro.
How can you mention him without including Violent J?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bruiser Brody
Magnum TA
David Von Erich
Marc "Black Tiger" Rocco
Dick "Destroyer" Beyer
Bill Dundee
"No Class" Bobby Bass
Hijo Del Santo
Dory Funk Jr.
Shinya Hashimoto

Santo worked Super Astros. Destroyer worked a few WWF shows after Vince took over.

The Four Pillars of Heaven are probably the best example as they never worked for Vince but there was at least the remote possibility they could during the All Japan/WWF negotiations in 97/98. Then the lucha greats who never ended up in the US but that list is confusing for anyone who worked post 90 since a bunch of random dudes like Negro Casas ended up on Super Astros who you would never think of.

Halloween Jack posted:

How can you mention him without including Violent J?

He worked for Vince.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 6, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Power Windows posted:

I heard a story somewhere that they tried to get Tanahashi at some point but apparently signed the wrong guy somehow. In any case I'd say he's a strong contender. I guess Okada would count too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Egg on my face. I meant to say Wicked J.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Santo worked Super Astros. Destroyer worked a few WWF shows after Vince took over.

The Four Pillars of Heaven are probably the best example as they never worked for Vince but there was at least the remote possibility they could during the All Japan/WWF negotiations in 97/98. Then the lucha greats who never ended up in the US but that list is confusing for anyone who worked post 90 since a bunch of random dudes like Negro Casas ended up on Super Astros who you would never think of.

He worked for Vince.

I forgot about Super Astros

Didn't know about Beyer, that's pretty interesting

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Edit: I'm going to ask this in the AEW thread, actually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I heard a story somewhere that they tried to get Tanahashi at some point but apparently signed the wrong guy somehow. In any case I'd say he's a strong contender. I guess Okada would count too.

I think they were interested in both Yoshi Tatsu and Tanahashi but Tanahashi wasn't interested. Might be wrong there, but I do believe they were interested during that time period.

Tanahashi did an interview about that Dojo class a few weeks ago that doesn't address this exactly but has a lot of interesting thoughts on the various people who left the company!

https://www.njpw1972.com/92996

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The Briscoes?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The Briscoes?

It's crazy they wrestled through the aughts without doing a single job on Velocity.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bruiser Brody
Magnum TA
David Von Erich
Marc "Black Tiger" Rocco
Dick "Destroyer" Beyer
Bill Dundee
"No Class" Bobby Bass
Hijo Del Santo
Dory Funk Jr.
Shinya Hashimoto

Dory was in, if Rumble appearances count.
Brody might count if WWWF matches get grandfathered in!

Sandman McMahon posted:

I know what you’re referring too and I’m pretty sure it was Kurt Angle.
ah yeah that tracks... I recall thinking it might be Kurt when he abruptly left the company after "refusing to go to rehab." It was long enough ago at this point that I have trouble sorting out what was actually reported and what was just my own speculation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

Dory was in, if Rumble appearances count.
ah yeah that tracks... I recall thinking it might be Kurt when he abruptly left the company after "refusing to go to rehab." It was long enough ago at this point that I have trouble sorting out what was actually reported and what was just my own speculation.

Angle left WWE almost a year before the Benoit murders.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Great Muta never working WWE is up there especially given how over his first WCW run was

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Minidust posted:

Nope, his matches occurred before Vince bought the company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Power Windows posted:

Nope, his matches occurred before Vince bought the company.

To answer the question accurately you have to make sure he didn't have any matches in the towns Vince Jr was promoting at the time!

(No one do this, please.)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

The Four Pillars of Heaven are probably the best example as they never worked for Vince but there was at least the remote possibility they could during the All Japan/WWF negotiations in 97/98.
I would assume the Super Summit show would disqualify them (unless I overlooked certain details)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

I would assume the Super Summit show would disqualify them (unless I overlooked certain details)

It wasn't a WWF show so they were working for Baba. Vince was very hands off about the booking besides the Hogan match but I guess you could disqualify Kobashi and Misawa if you wanted to go crazy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you wanted to be a bit smart: you could throw in Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota as options.

WWF had a relationship with AJW in 1994-95; they obviously brought Bull Nakano over and let AJW do a title change on their Tokyo Dome show; they brought Aja Kong over in 1995 right before they killed the division and at the 1995 Survivor Series they also brought over Kyoko Inoue, Lioness Asuka, Sakie Hasegawa, Chaparita ASARI and Tomoko Watanabe to fill out their Survivor Series match and to do some jobs to people on the following Raws (there's the Kong/ASARI match where Kong worked incredibly stiff and apparently spooked WWF management; and Madusa's last WWF match was a match against Lioness Asuka that they ended up never airing). There are some theoretical scenarios where Hokuto or Toyota could have worked WWF at some point if that relationship had lasted a bit longer or if they made some slightly different decisions on talent.

Hokuto was on the way out of AJW by the end of that period and actually started working WCW in that late 1995 period (with Bull Nakano and JWP people initially; then WCW started working with GAEA where Hokuto had signed) and went on to win their Women's Championship in 1996; Toyota ended up not working America until Chikara booked her in 2010.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

someone post the pic of vince directing liger

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Dory was there as HOSS FUNK!~

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

If you wanted to be a bit smart: you could throw in Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota as options.

WWF had a relationship with AJW in 1994-95; they obviously brought Bull Nakano over and let AJW do a title change on their Tokyo Dome show; they brought Aja Kong over in 1995 right before they killed the division and at the 1995 Survivor Series they also brought over Kyoko Inoue, Lioness Asuka, Sakie Hasegawa, Chaparita ASARI and Tomoko Watanabe to fill out their Survivor Series match and to do some jobs to people on the following Raws (there's the Kong/ASARI match where Kong worked incredibly stiff and apparently spooked WWF management; and Madusa's last WWF match was a match against Lioness Asuka that they ended up never airing). There are some theoretical scenarios where Hokuto or Toyota could have worked WWF at some point if that relationship had lasted a bit longer or if they made some slightly different decisions on talent.

Hokuto was on the way out of AJW by the end of that period and actually started working WCW in that late 1995 period (with Bull Nakano and JWP people initially; then WCW started working with GAEA where Hokuto had signed) and went on to win their Women's Championship in 1996; Toyota ended up not working America until Chikara booked her in 2010.

This reminds me that in the 80's with the AJW relationship the WWE had not only did we see the Jumping Bomb Angels do WWF tours we also had the Crush Gals and Dump Matsumoto/Bull Nakano as well

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Apparently CIMA once jobbed to Jamie Noble in a Smackdown dark match in 2009. Huh.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This reminds me that in the 80's with the AJW relationship the WWE had not only did we see the Jumping Bomb Angels do WWF tours we also had the Crush Gals and Dump Matsumoto/Bull Nakano as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy4ZuNySb5o

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

takeshi morishima beat trevor murdoch in a raw dark match

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nikita Koloff, Alex Wright, Jimmy Golden, Dennis Condrey, Kevin Sullivan. Did Sullivan ever do agent work for Vince Jr.? He'd worked a bit for Sr.

There are a handful of Tennessee-area names that never showed up for WWF/WWE. Some, like Phil Hickerson, never really ventured beyond the area.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Nikita Koloff, Alex Wright, Jimmy Golden, Dennis Condrey, Kevin Sullivan. Did Sullivan ever do agent work for Vince Jr.? He'd worked a bit for Sr.

There are a handful of Tennessee-area names that never showed up for WWF/WWE. Some, like Phil Hickerson, never really ventured beyond the area.

Jimmy Golden was in the WWE as Jack Swagger's father.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

JOHN CENA posted:

Liger did an NXT show 5 or 5 years ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JOHN CENA posted:

You mean Justin Luger.
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/999721337886306306
And I dunno if it's fair to say Vince was hands-off with the show, as he was obviously producing at least one of the non-WWF/AJPW matches, plus the show was heavily marketed to American servicemen stationed in Japan.