Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
DIO failed because of his hubris. He had every chance to ambush his enemies before they had any idea about his stand, but instead he wanted to act intimidating and gently caress around with them with the stairs and the coffin.

And even before that, he could have sent more than 1-2 minions at a time against a group of 4-6 people, but I think he wanted to kill the Joestars himself from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

bobjr posted:

I wonder what the eventual dub will change Foo Fighters to

This might be a very dumb question, but why are the anime stand names in english subtitles/dubs so different than the actual names? Is it a trademark thing with band names?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Cactus posted:

This might be a very dumb question, but why are the anime stand names in english subtitles/dubs so different than the actual names? Is it a trademark thing with band names?

They go around to the rights holders to get permission as to avoid weird legal trouble. Some say yes, some say no. Apparently song and album titles are easier than outright band names.

Notably Foo Fighters kept her name in Eyes of Heaven, as did Weather Report.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

They go around to the rights holders to get permission as to avoid weird legal trouble. Some say yes, some say no. Apparently song and album titles are easier than outright band names.

Interesting - thank you!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wonder how much of that is also down to the bands being ok with which characters are using their names? Foo Fighters and Weather Report are good guys, but maybe Queen wasn't down with being the namesake for a villainous character?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Dragonwagon posted:

DIO failed because of his hubris. He had every chance to ambush his enemies before they had any idea about his stand, but instead he wanted to act intimidating and gently caress around with them with the stairs and the coffin.

And even before that, he could have sent more than 1-2 minions at a time against a group of 4-6 people, but I think he wanted to kill the Joestars himself from the beginning.

It's 100% this plus his need to get some Joestar blood if I remember right. Compound that with the fact that The World is basically a glass cannon of a Stand and that's how it works out. I don't know if this was canon Araki fact or just fan theory at this point but I remember reading that The World was supposed to have all the other tarot Stand powers too, making it incredibly fragile was a good way to balance that even if he ditched that idea after just doing the photograph trick a couple times.

That fight always sticks with me when I think about the endings because of just how many layers are built up to why DIO hosed up and how he could have won at any moment but chose to instead play the cat and mouse game with the Joestars that he clearly had been ruminating on since his coffin sank.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

I wonder how much of that is also down to the bands being ok with which characters are using their names? Foo Fighters and Weather Report are good guys, but maybe Queen wasn't down with being the namesake for a villainous character?

Killer Queen is a Queen song, so that also lies in the iffy area.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
As someone else previously noted, I would love to see some characters from Part 4/5 show up just to give the ending more conclusion, even if it is bittersweet. Was there ever a mention of why Giorno is absent from Dio's Cool Children club? Like, has anyone at least said a word about him? I'm glad Rohan got a quick cameo, but I'd love some more connection to earlier events considering it's The End.

Also, I feel like people who insist that new Jolyne doesn't count towards the happy end or whatever are taking this world a bit too literally. We've got ghosts, souls, vampires, the afterlife, and all sorts of poo poo. I feel like saying that new universe doesn't count is like saying that dreams in Lynch's works don't count because they aren't in the same reality. I also think that the short and almost abrupt end was definitely intentional. With Fate being broken, the author gives up those characters and you're free to imagine whatever past or future you want for them. No fate, no canon. You won't be wrong with any theory.

God I love Stone Ocean. Can't wait for them animating the whole world going nuts, and then representing it in the opening.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Quick shot of Giorno and Mista getting Mickey's autograph.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I would appreciate a cameo from an armless Avdol and Iggy's rear end in the new universe.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ChaosArgate posted:

From looking around, Foo Fighters have been on Dave Grohl's label for years and years and idk about Weather Report but they just might not have the kind of name that would be judged to be important enough? And also the name has plausible deniability I guess lmao

But Queen is just insanely owned by people and still touring right? I have to imagine thats a harder get lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I would appreciate a cameo from an armless Avdol and Iggy's rear end in the new universe.

About a half-second from being exploded by the air bomb that Okuyasu swiped away.

Death Bot posted:

From looking around, Foo Fighters have been on Dave Grohl's label for years and years and idk about Weather Report but they just might not have the kind of name that would be judged to be important enough? And also the name has plausible deniability I guess lmao

But Queen is just insanely owned by people and still touring right? I have to imagine thats a harder get lol

Still can't figure out Polnareff becoming Eiffel (but only in ASB) or stand names that are literally a common word that happens to be a band or song name (Echoes, Surface) having to be changed

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In fairness to Warner's lawyers, I also would not want to interact with Roger Waters in any way.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Vookatos posted:

Was there ever a mention of why Giorno is absent from Dio's Cool Children club?

Because Giorno isn't a loser who will show up because of Gravity just to have a dumb fight like the rest of Dio's failsons

Angry_Ed posted:

Still can't figure out Polnareff becoming Eiffel

He's named after French singer-songwriter Michel Polnareff, so I guess ASB was just a "better safe than sorry" thing

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Robviously posted:

I don't know if this was canon Araki fact or just fan theory at this point but I remember reading that The World was supposed to have all the other tarot Stand powers too, making it incredibly fragile was a good way to balance that even if he ditched that idea after just doing the photograph trick a couple times.

That was a fan theory, according to Araki Dio was able to use Hermit Purple because it was Jonathan's Stand and he had his body.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 6, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Angry_Ed posted:

Still can't figure out Polnareff becoming Eiffel (but only in ASB) or stand names that are literally a common word that happens to be a band or song name (Echoes, Surface) having to be changed

I'm not sure you can point to anything JoJo does and say there's plausible deniability, so they might have just changed the names pre-emptively or they reached out anyway and were told no for cases like Echoes or Sanctuary.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Have they done this since Stardust Crusaders? I thought the localized names from the games were mostly changed just to be safe, and figured the ones you listed either slipped through the cracks or were generic enough that they wouldn’t get in trouble.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve finally caught up on JJL and I’m a little confused What are the larger implications that Gappy’s bubble = spin? Is that something the reader is supposed to understand by now? And if not, what are the major theories?

My thoughts on the part so far is pretty much an echo of what most others have shared. I think it’s too long, as it is. But with this type of story it’s hard to give it a final judgement until it’s over.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

And if not, what are the major theories?

Considering that it's being built up as an ultimate ability and Killer Queen is mentioned we're probably about to see the Part 8 version of Bites the Dust.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wish the translation for JJL was just a liiiittle bit better

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve finally caught up on JJL and I’m a little confused What are the larger implications that Gappy’s bubble = spin? Is that something the reader is supposed to understand by now? And if not, what are the major theories?

As part 7 showed, spinning is the ultimate power that can overcome anything.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Everything is circular... If it rotates...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

My thoughts on the part so far is pretty much an echo of what most others have shared. I think it’s too long, as it is. But with this type of story it’s hard to give it a final judgement until it’s over.

You can basically think of The Spin as Hamon But Cooler. The Spin at top levels was able to pursue a target through dimensional barriers and allow movement in The World's stopped time. Overcoming Wonder of U's Calamity because *mutters into hand* is pretty much in its wheelhouse - it doesn't really do a lot of incredibly lunatic poo poo as I recall (aside from, now that I think about it, some Pillar Man-adjacent body horror powers) but definitely functions as a hard counter to particularly insane reality-bending type powers by just refusing to acknowledge them.

not sure why we're spoiler tagging but here we are

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What I want to know is is the most recent bubble bullet going through the cell phone because Paisley Park used its stand ability to turn the phone camera into a digital portal or is the bubble bullet going through the cell phone because the bubbles are operating beyond logic and reason and therefore can do things specifically because it wouldn't make any logical sense, like a camera acting as a portal

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FirstAidKite posted:

Plus the knee that got destroyed was the same one Jotaro hosed up earlier so it was already weakened

plus dio had pointed out to whole horse a while back that his left side was not healing as well as his right side, and dio being a big dummy decided to kick with the side of his body that has poo poo regeneration

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If Josuke doesn't calm down with all the spins he's gonna spin himself right in to Kurouzu-cho

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

What I want to know is is the most recent bubble bullet going through the cell phone because Paisley Park used its stand ability to turn the phone camera into a digital portal or is the bubble bullet going through the cell phone because the bubbles are operating beyond logic and reason and therefore can do things specifically because it wouldn't make any logical sense, like a camera acting as a portal

It's probably a new ability, Paisley Park is one of the last Stands to have stats so maybe Araki is doing something with its development potential.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If Josuke doesn't calm down with all the spins he's gonna spin himself right in to Kurouzu-cho
Honestly, I'd read the poo poo out of a JoJo/Uzumaki crossover. It'd totally work, especially given how Rohan is always visiting haunted places and stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

Honestly, I'd read the poo poo out of a JoJo/Uzumaki crossover.

That's what the Heavy Weather arc was

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I listen to this song and I keep thinking that it would be a good ED for an anime adaptation of a Part that hasn't been written or maybe really low on the list of potential Part 8 anime EDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpcUK6Kxo8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, that's the impression I get.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I personally don't think Soft & Wet is going to go Bites The Dust, but it's definitely in the Tusk Act 4/Ball Breaker wheelhouse of transcending reality and achieving the results it wants.
And if the hints/leanings towards it doing things that aren't bound by the dimension it's in, it's probably close to an answer to the age old question of "what can actually beat Gold Experience Requiem".

Though as I'm typing that, we do have a pressing deadline for both Rokakaka cultivation, Yasuho getting cream crackered imminently, a family full of dead Higashikatas so maybe a hop back to a time line before poo poo got so bad is going to happen and Tooru is going to get owned.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I wish JJL was just a liiiittle bit better

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I personally don't think Soft & Wet is going to go Bites The Dust, but it's definitely in the Tusk Act 4/Ball Breaker wheelhouse of transcending reality and achieving the results it wants.
And if the hints/leanings towards it doing things that aren't bound by the dimension it's in, it's probably close to an answer to the age old question of "what can actually beat Gold Experience Requiem".
I mean, since Stands were introduced, every Part has had the Stand of the main hero or villain ascending to a new form. Star Platinum: The World, Bites The Dust, Requiem, Pucci's dozen new Stands he gets, Tusk Act 4...so we're overdue. And Wonder of U is too broken to get a major power-up.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Consider: Wonder of U2

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Ergomancy/status/1282017379795578880

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

that's some good stuff right there.

looking forward to some good fast priest content, please david soon

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I really need to read more of the interviews, there's some crazy deep lore in them, like the part where one of his editors said that Araki originally wanted Giorno to be a girl

quote:

Hiroshi Sekiya

Sekiya: Another point is that Araki-sensei said, "I want a woman to be the main protagonist."

Q: This is for Part 5, right? You don't mean Jolyne from Part 6, but Giorno as a woman?

Sekiya: Around the time he brought it up, Giorno’s name hadn’t been decided yet. It’s not an issue these days, but back then my impression was that a female lead in a shonen manga would have been very tough to sell. During that era of Weekly Shonen Jump, it simply wasn’t the time. Thus, during my meeting with sensei, we spoke about this and that, and in the end, the protagonist ended up not being a woman. However, Giorno’s stand has the ability to create life, right? Women give birth to life, so I think this concept was probably left over from the idea of having a female protagonist.

Q: Giorno is an elegant and somewhat androgynous character. Is the initial idea of having him be a woman related to that?

Sekiya: Giorno’s real name, Haruno Shiobana, is also very feminine, right? Sensei may have been thinking of having the story unfold with Giorno being revealed to be a woman. Now that I think about it, he used to joke around with ideas, saying things like: "What about if it was a woman who looked like a man? Wonder if that would work?" (laughs)

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 11, 2021

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Interesting. Didn't know that one, but I can see it.

One of my favorites is the one where he reveals that giving William Zeppeli a mustache was a huge gamble on his part because it might make readers think he's a villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Here’s a fun thought: what’s the most seemingly-useless Stand power that you could see Araki make into a legitimately threatening fighter? Like, the ability to make everything in an area one color, for example.