Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The World Inferno posted:

Ya know, this arc is called 'the four emperors saga'. Wonder when Shanks will show up, or Blackbeard. Or, if we're going to find out after this is all done that Shanks is holding Blackbeard from interfering with this fight. Especially if he defeats and/or kills Shanks sure would set up the next arc wonderfully.

IIRC, Blackbeards busy sticking his nose in whatever's happening in Alabasta right now so as much as I would love for him to pull a Dark Horse Ze Ha Ha out of nowhere I don't think that's in the cards anytime soon, at least not until after Wano wraps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

orochi cannot die because he needs to see his dreams crushed before his eyes as momo becomes shogun

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mabels big day posted:

orochi cannot die because he needs to see his dreams crushed before his eyes as momo becomes shogun

:hmmyes:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Man with Hat posted:

Does Orochi still have another head or am I miscounting? I see five scabbards and five heads roll. Kaido did one, that makes six and he had seven right?

Presumably there were 6 heads cut since there are 6 scabbards here with swords(Izo only uses guns), so if he has 8 heads total he’d have one left.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Man with Hat posted:

Does Orochi still have another head or am I miscounting? I see five scabbards and five heads roll. Kaido did one, that makes six and he had seven right?

I think 6 scabards (Izu, Kiku, Denjiro, Kinemon, Neko, and Kawamatsu) cut off 6 heads, which combined with kaido cutting off a head makes 7. If that means that there's one head left, then I would bet that either Hiyori or Momo will take off the last head.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

if raizo stays behind, I can see Orochi reviving with his final head while he's distracted and getting a quick backstab on him

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Julias posted:

I think 6 scabards (Izu, Kiku, Denjiro, Kinemon, Neko, and Kawamatsu) cut off 6 heads, which combined with kaido cutting off a head makes 7. If that means that there's one head left, then I would bet that either Hiyori or Momo will take off the last head.

Momo will take his final head in a chapter illustration series.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I think I'd be alright with every few chapters the first couple panels are Orochi getting 'killed' by someone else.

Although thematically this would be a great end to him. All the personal anxiety he had regarding the Scabbards, and regarding this a great reckoning between them; to be dispatched by them all at once with a "We have no time to waste on you".

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

On the other hand, if you come at him with ambitions of taking him down or hurting someone he cares about, he will kill you dead or at least dismember you (see: Kidd). I think Luffy is the only exception to this since Shanks was ready and willing to cut down Ace up until he realized Luffy was his brother.

My read on Shanks is that his goal is to see the next generation fulfill Roger's dream and sometimes that means putting guys like Kidd and Ace in their place before they go and get themselves killed challenging one of the other emperors.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We see one of Shanks' territories in the front page arcs, Barty goes and burns down Shanks' flags and tries to replace them with Luffy's, I think.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
shanks not going to laugh tale and then crying when roger returned always felt a little weird to me. i wrote it off as "roger said hes gonna disband the crew and die" or whatever but i wonder if theres more to that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This threads long as hell so it's probably come up, but I was on Wish the other day

Len posted:

original:

fan art:

sure why not:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think next chapter Kaido will rescue Big Mom with the same spiral cloud magic he's using to keep Onigashima afloat. If that happens, Luffy and co are probably going to need outside help in this fight because they'll be back to square 1 with everyone but Law and Killer in bad shape.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bisse posted:

I think next chapter Kaido will rescue Big Mom with the same spiral cloud magic he's using to keep Onigashima afloat. If that happens, Luffy and co are probably going to need outside help in this fight because they'll be back to square 1 with everyone but Law and Killer in bad shape.

kaidou's been saying always count on betrayal when it comes to pirates. maybe he thinks he can wipe the floor with these 5 and thinks big mom will die so he lets her go thinking that she's the only person strong enough to rival him

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

anime was right posted:

kaidou's been saying always count on betrayal when it comes to pirates. maybe he thinks he can wipe the floor with these 5 and thinks big mom will die so he lets her go thinking that she's the only person strong enough to rival him

I kind of wonder if There is a tie back to the fact that Kaido apparently owes big mom a life debt. My first thought was that Kaido could easily save her using the same powers that he's been using to effortlessly lift the entire island, in fact i think that's basically what has to happen based on the pacing of the story. There's no way Big Mom can just fall out of the battle, everything in the story is pointing towards both yonko and their crews being defeated by the end of this raid so the story can move forward to the final arcs. If / when Kaido does "save" her I do wonder if that act throws their alliance out of wack. The Big Mom crew very clearly isn't contributing much to the fight at the moment and if Kaido sees Linlin as a liability or an ineffectual partner in the alliance that could be the genesis of their split. Big Mom herself may not be very happy with the situation if she loses her leverage over Kaido.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Starsfan posted:

The Big Mom crew very clearly isn't contributing much to the fight at the moment and if Kaido sees Linlin as a liability or an ineffectual partner in the alliance that could be the genesis of their split. Big Mom herself may not be very happy with the situation if she loses her leverage over Kaido.

Only one of the Big Mom crew is even here.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 6, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im the opposite i think, i dont see kaido saving big mom here. seems like a convenient way to get her out of the battle tbh

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I could see king saving her. We don’t have a ton of info on his personality other than one of the characters calling him a weirdo, so it’s possible that he’s got a bit more of a practical streak than queen or jack does. Also he’s got wings (and a fruit that gives him wings).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Perospero's still in action. He could presumably build a candy structure capable of supporting her weight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finally, a platform that can support your mom

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
There will be a break next week.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I see Kaido letting her fall but her being saved by a third party (Perospero being a safe guess), and Big Mom realizing that Kaido was just gonna let her die so the alliance is off

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe she'll hit her head and get amnesia again.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Someone would need some crazy observation haki to realize she’s falling and save her with everything going on right now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ubiquitus posted:

Someone would need some crazy observation haki to realize she’s falling and save her with everything going on right now.

A theory going around right now that makes a lot of sense is that the rest of her crew in Wano could very well be on their ship following the floating island in the sky, and they could fish her out of the water.

or i dunno, maybe she just dies. I am ready to be surprised.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly having a big bad get knocked out by a well coordinated strike quickly would be incredibly refreshing instead of a prolonged battle of attrition.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kaido going pirate alliances are bullshit absolutely makes me think there is going to be some form of betrayal at some point if he thinks he'll get ahead. As is so far big mom was obviously useful but now she's been knocked out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Holy poo poo that dude justed fused with a whole rear end city?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

God, the best thing about One Piece really is the reactions from people just binging on a fresh read.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Len posted:

I wasn’t sure what you were talking about at first, then I thought “oh yeah, that did happen didn’t it”.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eggplant Squire posted:

Honestly having a big bad get knocked out by a well coordinated strike quickly would be incredibly refreshing instead of a prolonged battle of attrition.

Yeah I honestly hate Big Mom and would enjoy her just dying now.

It's not going to happen or anything but hey.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What? You hate Big Mom as she’s written, or her character?

Either way. What?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I thought I had seen everything with the full-on-diarrhea "Griffith and Guts are equally bad" take in the Berserk thread but this is just, wow.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

Mmm idunno, we kind of had that already with Hody who was a punching bag, Caesar who got one-hit-KO'd, and Doflamingo who in the end it turned out never really stood a shadow of a chance (even though the fight was dragged out), so I'm fine with this particular battle dragging on. Oda's done a great job of conveying the sense of stakes and challenge here and every fight chapter so far since ch1000 has been probably the best fight chapters in the series.

The katakuri fight was dragged out, but it was good, it could have been a chapter shorter I guess but it never really bothered me.

EDIT: Also if this post was a sarcastic Orochi take then lol

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 6, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ubiquitus posted:

What? You hate Big Mom as she’s written, or her character?

Either way. What?

Her character. She's just a horrible, horrible person and I find nothing redeeming about her. She's just goddamned evil. She's incredibly well written though because I have a visceral hate for a lot of the villains of One Piece because they are made to be hated a lot of the time (I feel the same hatred for Dolflamingo). Some villains are definitely redeemed in great ways (Bon Clay is a favorite of mine) but Big Mom just seems to be made to be hated.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bisse posted:

I thought I had seen everything with the full-on-diarrhea "Griffith and Guts are equally bad" take in the Berserk thread but this is just, wow.

lol no Griffith is horrible also.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's fair, Big Mom is pretty horrible. Great villain, can't wait to see her go down.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah, she's an amazing villain. I hate her. Oda is a great writer.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Her character. She's just a horrible, horrible person and I find nothing redeeming about her. She's just goddamned evil. She's incredibly well written though because I have a visceral hate for a lot of the villains of One Piece because they are made to be hated a lot of the time (I feel the same hatred for Dolflamingo). Some villains are definitely redeemed in great ways (Bon Clay is a favorite of mine) but Big Mom just seems to be made to be hated.
I think that's a fair view to be honest, and an excellent opportunity to share why I personally love Big Mom as a villain.

She's pretty uninteresting in all fairness except for her visuals, up until her backstory. OP backstories are usually sad, but what her backstory does instead of being sad, is deliver the most believable description I've ever seen of how a good person ends up a horrible monster.

Big Mom's only fault was existing. Just by existing and being a 4-year-old walking natural disaster, terrible events happened to her that she had no tools to process properly. It's not her fault that her parents left her, it's not her fault she hurts everyone around her because she doesn't know what pain is, and the food tantrums are kind of not her fault on account of still being a toddler. She gets :airquote:abandoned:airquote: three times, then gets taken advantage of, gets hunted by assassins, and now she (rightfully!!) thinks everyone hates her and wants her dead, and she has to fight to survive and make people around her happy. She has absolutely no empathy whatsoever left, rightfully so because every time she has cared for someone she gets hurt. But in her mind, after all these years of murder and what the gently caress, the thought in her mind is still: Why can't everyone just be a good person? Why can't everyone just be happy? WHERE IS MY MOMMY?

In other words, Big Mom is a product of the world around her through no fault of her own. From who she is and where she was born, she had to be, either this way, or dead by now.

So what's truly fascinating is when she loses her memories in Wano. Then, suddenly, she's a cheerful joybringer again! She goes out on a mission to feed starving people their favourite foods! This is who she really is as a person. Then once her memories come back, she becomes again what the world has shaped her into. Look at this loving wrecking ball of rage in the current fight and just try to empathise that somehow, in some twisted way, through sheer perceived lack of options, this is a person who is trying to spread joy to the world.

Big Mom is interesting because she's a believable description of how real people in the real world become monsters.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe she'll land in the village she fed who will react to her assuming she's the Big Mom they know, and by doing so she'll realize the error of her ways.