Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Lake Placid and Crawl are similar in that they're animal attack movies that have the confidence to not kill some random character off every ten minutes. So you have some people coming away from the movie complaining that there wasn't enough gator action but all in all I think they're better for it.

Lake Placid especially feels like a throwback to when the movie would be like 90% people standing around talking about the situation and 10% creature stuff, because they didn't have the budget for anything more than that and you needed a strong cast to carry it. And that's really what Lake Placid is known for, the cast is one of the first things people will mention about it.

Yeah, when the people standing around talking are Bill Pullman, Bridget Fonda, Oliver Platt, and Brendan Gleeson, it's a good time. It's also 82 minutes long and has a cow get airlifted by a helicopter. It's fun and doesn't overstay it's welcome, regardless of the body count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Lake Placid and Crawl are similar in that they're animal attack movies that have the confidence to not kill some random character off every ten minutes. So you have some people coming away from the movie complaining that there wasn't enough gator action but all in all I think they're better for it.

Lake Placid especially feels like a throwback to when the movie would be like 90% people standing around talking about the situation and 10% creature stuff, because they didn't have the budget for anything more than that and you needed a strong cast to carry it. And that's really what Lake Placid is known for, the cast is one of the first things people will mention about it.

This is an excellent point, especially since the cast will make or break a throwback animal attack movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The lack of kills is exactly what made Lake Placid for me. It's not what you expect from animal big movie, it's just got positive vibes throughout. It does irony/meta in a wholesome, non-obnoxious way.
They don't even kill the croc in the end, well they kind of do and it's anticlimactic for everyone. A great joke.

edit: Crawl is also good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

The lack of kills is exactly what made Lake Placid for me. It's not what you expect from animal big movie, it's just got positive vibes throughout. It does irony/meta in a wholesome, non-obnoxious way.
They don't even kill the croc in the end, well they kind of do and it's anticlimactic for everyone. A great joke.

edit: Crawl is also good.

Also Oliver Platt. He seems like such an obvious casualty but in the end he totally wins you over and you're rooting for him to survive. There's really nobody in Lake Placid that's like an obvious villain where you cheer when they get killed, which is unusual.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like people want(ed) Lake Placid to be the alligator equivalent of Deep Blue Sea. While we may all want that movie, we already have Deep Blue Sea.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like people want(ed) Lake Placid to be the alligator equivalent of Deep Blue Sea. While we may all want that movie, we already have Deep Blue Sea.

But there are no alligators in Deep Blue Sea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

But there are no alligators in Deep Blue Sea.

You know what I meant! :argh:

Deep Blue Sea 4k UHD when? Come on Warner Bros, the crowd's clamoring for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Deep Blue Sea 3 came out recently, there really is a demand for more Deep Blue Sea content.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Deep Blue Sea 3 came out recently, there really is a demand for more Deep Blue Sea content.

I hope someone watches it for the May challenge, cuz I'm curious if it's decent. Deep Blue Sea 2 was just a remake of the original, so I never even bothered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I hope someone watches it for the May challenge, cuz I'm curious if it's decent. Deep Blue Sea 2 was just a remake of the original, so I never even bothered.

It happens to be $1.99 to rent right now on Amazon Video. Tempting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It happens to be $1.99 to rent right now on Amazon Video. Tempting.

I spent $4 to watch Cursed on Prime, so that's nothin'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

If you're gonna do that at least mix up the time period like Ginger Snaps 3!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I'm amazed they're only up to 3.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

I might, it looks like there's not enough good options for my "movies where the problem is that something is too big" gimmick so I'll probably just watch a bunch of random poo poo like usual.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I might, it looks like there's not enough good options for my "movies where the problem is that something is too big" gimmick so I'll probably just watch a bunch of random poo poo like usual.

I can't believe this, this was like the biggest trend in the 50's and 60's.

Here's a list of 200+ giant animal/insect movie: https://letterboxd.com/recardwe/list/malevolent-giant-animal-or-insect-movies/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine a world where we got one a year instead of SAW.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Did anyone mention Boar as an option?

Anyway I figure your problem isn't necessarily quantity, it's that like 90% of it would just be about giant animals and it might get a bit boring to watch 20+ of those in a month.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

There appear to be 6 Lake Placid movies, however

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway I figure your problem isn't necessarily quantity, it's that like 90% of it would just be about giant animals and it might get a bit boring to watch 20+ of those in a month.

Did anyone mention Night of the Lepus?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

You know what I meant! :argh:

Deep Blue Sea 4k UHD when? Come on Warner Bros, the crowd's clamoring for it.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we saw one come out. all the studios have been pumping out catalog titles pretty consistently and Deep Blue Sea just got another direct to video sequel in 2019 I think? 2020?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

This is now on Shudder btw, I've been meaning to see it for years.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I watched Crawl again and I revise my initial dislike of it. For some reason when I first watched it the cg struck me as weird looking. The swimming angle still has a loving farm's worth of ham handedness to it, tho. Gators should have eaten the dad from the get go.

It is ok.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Pool is a pretty entertaining crocodile movie, although as a warning the crocodile is frequently pretty obviously bad CGI.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah the issue is more of quality and diversity than quantity.

Franchescanado posted:

I've heard that that one is pretty dull.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I'm not expecting a masterpiece but still, giant rabbits. I can't just dismiss that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

It pretty much only exists for that trailer to be screened at grind house movie nights

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Well I may have some bad news for you about the Giant Animal movie genre.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

No matter what I'm definitely watching this one

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For a second I thought this was The Giant Claw, which is a pretty decent Giant Monster movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I mean if we're going for " big things big problems" genre Q the Winged Serpent definitely fits into that category.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I mean if we're going for " big things big problems" genre Q the Winged Serpent definitely fits into that category.

I've seen that one, it's good and very sweaty.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm counting The Meg so 4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm counting The Meg so 4

Well, 5 now, as the Meg has a sequel coming out, doesn't it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Well, 5 now, as the Meg has a sequel coming out, doesn't it?

I'm not sure if it'll come out but an article from 2020 says Ben Wheatley is directing it which definitely piques my interest

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Food of the Gods has lots of giant creatures, especially rats

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Food of the Gods is so cool.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

That's a Kaiju! :colbert:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

No matter what I'm definitely watching this one

This looks extremely good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Get some Deadly Mantis down you. It's not good - in fact it's terrible - but it's funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

graventy posted:

The Pool is a pretty entertaining crocodile movie, although as a warning the crocodile is frequently pretty obviously bad CGI.

This movie has the dumbest, unluckiest protagonist.