Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

timn posted:

The Terran Protectorate is weird because on the one hand everything you said is true, but on the other hand the entire premise of the Solborn Militia is that it's this new progressive program open to other races to help engender trust. In fact most of the Terrans' pouting seems to be specifically about the other humans in the galaxy. Would they loosen up more if they weren't so preoccupied by their superiority complex over the ANT and the ARG? Or would they still be pouting in their isolated corner of the galaxy anyway?

It's kind of interesting that there doesn't appear to be actual, like, racism in the X series. At least not in the ones I played. Everything cuts along actual faction lines and the argons and the terrans are almost entirely separate, despite being both humans. The factions are all caricatures for the most part but there's no like, human supremacist organization and the argon are historically best friends with the fish people.

Although the idea of the terrans as this sort of, not entirely politically unified entity and the terran CIA spinning up a bunch of weird programs with its budget that it doesn't really know what to do with is also quite funny and apt :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how many thousands of pages the X book series devotes to the various protagonists loving off for a thousand hours making a station empire?

quote:

It's kind of interesting that there doesn't appear to be actual, like, racism in the X series. At least not in the ones I played.

The Paranid almost are but even then it's played as more condescension towards anything that's not them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also there appears to be little that the paranid hate in X4 more than other paranid.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's kind of interesting that there doesn't appear to be actual, like, racism in the X series. At least not in the ones I played. Everything cuts along actual faction lines and the argons and the terrans are almost entirely separate, despite being both humans. The factions are all caricatures for the most part but there's no like, human supremacist organization and the argon are historically best friends with the fish people.

Although the idea of the terrans as this sort of, not entirely politically unified entity and the terran CIA spinning up a bunch of weird programs with its budget that it doesn't really know what to do with is also quite funny and apt :v:

I think the Split would arguably qualify as racist against humans in general, but like you said it's portrayed more as factional (political) conflict rather than racial (social) conflict.

I suspect Egosoft is intentionally riding a very careful line with their writing here. They utilize some real world sociopolitical issues as fodder for their simple light-hearted storytelling, but they avoid slicing into those issues too deeply because the game isn't meant to be serious social commentary piece. And yet in X4 they've worked in some interesting subtle stuff still without being overtly political. It's an astonishingly delicate balance for what is ostensibly just window dressing on a German space-economics sim.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
What is the trick to the new missions for Rick Feynmann, specifically Gravimetric Studies? It has you position three ships in specific locations, and then the game tells you 'Long Range Scan now' as your objective. I assumed that meant turn on Long Range Scan mode, so I activated it, and then...nothing. I thought maybe I had to wait, so I walked away from the computer for like 20 minutes and got a snack. Came back, nothing. All three ships are bumping into their respective nav beacons, Long Range Scan mode is on, still nothing. Do I have to be looking at a specific point in the sky? The dialogue does say something about 'being precise'.

Just in case it was some kind of one-off bug I went ahead and tried the same mission again on a completely different playthrough, reached the same point, and, again, nothing.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Did you fire off a scan? Long range mode doesn't do anything on it's own

Also what's the bridge between a bunch of miners and a station? I'm building my own but I don't have the income to get it up at a respectable pace. (Partially because I keep buying stupid poo poo for myself - katana! Woo!)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mister Bates posted:

What is the trick to the new missions for Rick Feynmann, specifically Gravimetric Studies? It has you position three ships in specific locations, and then the game tells you 'Long Range Scan now' as your objective. I assumed that meant turn on Long Range Scan mode, so I activated it, and then...nothing. I thought maybe I had to wait, so I walked away from the computer for like 20 minutes and got a snack. Came back, nothing. All three ships are bumping into their respective nav beacons, Long Range Scan mode is on, still nothing. Do I have to be looking at a specific point in the sky? The dialogue does say something about 'being precise'.

Just in case it was some kind of one-off bug I went ahead and tried the same mission again on a completely different playthrough, reached the same point, and, again, nothing.

U gotta press l to scan

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Are you taking one of the 3 locations? Did you actually do a pulse? Worked just fine for me. Park a ship in 2 of the spots, then you take the third, and he tells you to do a long range pulse, and the other two do it with you.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Did you fire your long range scan or just put it in long range scan mode?

It's a thing you hold down the button to charge up and then fires when you release. If you hold it too long it over charges and doesn't fire.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have played this game for 300 hours and had absolutely no idea that was a thing :downs:

Thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What did you think the long range scan mode did..?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

What did you think the long range scan mode did..?

Seriously why is it its own mode for that instead of just a key press or menu option like scan is to start with

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Trenchdeep posted:

Also what's the bridge between a bunch of miners and a station? I'm building my own but I don't have the income to get it up at a respectable pace. (Partially because I keep buying stupid poo poo for myself - katana! Woo!)

Player income wise? Robbing pirate factions of their ships and more trading I guess.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously why is it its own mode for that instead of just a key press or menu option like scan is to start with

Same reason afterburners drain your shields and pilots take real-life centuries to fully train.

:eurojank:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Tabletops posted:

U gotta press l to scan

R for me. Maybe both work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I agree that it doesn't need to be its own mode (though it was in Rebirth and that game made a lot of effort to work with a gamepad, so that may be why) but it literally does nothing unless you ping so I'm just curious what people thought it did if they didn't know you could ping.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Until this mission came up I had honestly forgotten it even existed, I think I saw it while mapping controls to my HOTAS but didn't know what it did or how it worked. I still don't know what it does, but I did manage to complete the mission with it, at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is very useful for locating station clusters in sectors, first thing I do when mapping a sector is do a sick travel drive drift through the gate then turn on the scanner and ping in all directions to get the main stations on the map.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/483330/X3_Farnhams_Legacy/

…huh.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol a new X3 expansion.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Watched the trailer... no idea what to make of it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ughhh one of my traders died and I look to see what happens and here's an Xenon I again. drat it.

EDIT: if I want to like, do something about this, but not personally, would i want to, like, assign some ships to keep various shipyards/wharfs supplied, or do Argon vs Xenon mission, or what? What will make the AI factions better able and/or more likely to actually try to deal with this?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 6, 2021

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Excluding VRO, is there a mod that adds some more weapon variety or that differentiates the faction-specific items further? I've been playing starsector recently and coming back to X4 makes me miss the variety of things you could use in that game (I know, difference genre but hey :v:), since other than some weapons, the Mk 3 M shields, and terran engine charge times, most are just minor stat differences.

Trenchdeep posted:

Did you fire off a scan? Long range mode doesn't do anything on it's own

Killing Xenons (or helping out with one of those expeditions you get messages about) is decent money since they drop stuff for space caviar and the AGI components are all pretty pricey. If it's a matter of trying to build an expensive station, you can always start with a small solar plant that you can expand over time (Brennan's Triumph is a good place for this if you started as a terran).
I also bought a katana before bothering with stations, and it was the best "investment" I made, that thing is stupidly fast with a drag reduction mod and can actually take some hits (not from Xenon stations though).

edit: patrol missions can also be decent money if you can actually kill enemies during your patrol. Don't do what I did at one point and take patrol missions in Neptune/Asteroid Belt where absolutely nothing will attack you in most cases.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mokotow posted:

Watched the trailer... no idea what to make of it

April fools sadly.

Actually apparently not? Huh.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

the feature list is pretty cool. i might give it a try

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rick Feynmann is apparently dead in my game, since the quest to talk to him is not giving me instructions.

I'm pretty sure the ship got shot by Yaki when they got allied with me and started using my HQ to build ships and attack everyone.

I've no clue what to do about this - I finished that particular mission-chain in another play-through, but I kinda wanna play it again, including that frustrating puzzle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of is the fighter that mission chain gives you a good one? I mean it's by far my fastest ship but how much of that is just having mk3 split engines?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't know if I can go back to X3's UI at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I guess I am going back to X3 lmao

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

big nipples big life posted:

I don't know if I can go back to X3's UI at this point.

Yeah same, although I am curious to see what they did with the station/complex building.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zereth posted:

Speaking of is the fighter that mission chain gives you a good one? I mean it's by far my fastest ship but how much of that is just having mk3 split engines?
The Moreya? It's insanely quick with the right engines and mods, probably the most responsive ship you can get, and can keep up with the fastest Xenon ships.
It's also got four mountpoints for some serious dakka.

Another way to get it is to get allied with the Yaki, which you can achieve through the Terran questline, with a bit of planning.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's free if you own AP so I will definitely give it a shot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The Moreya? It's insanely quick with the right engines and mods, probably the most responsive ship you can get, and can keep up with the fastest Xenon ships.
It's also got four mountpoints for some serious dakka.

Another way to get it is to get allied with the Yaki, which you can achieve through the Terran questline, with a bit of planning.
Is there a way to get like, blueprints for it, then? Being able to throw some around to help defend my stuff would be nice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did some reading on earlier games apparently the race that made the gates convinced the galaxy to spare the biggest Xenon cpu done it was about to become self aware, I wonder how that's going.

Or what that race with "star system sized ships" is up to, there's some real weird stuff in the background

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah sign me up to try that new X3 expac out. i never got into X3 really, but i want to try litcube and all that out since it sounds cool. ill use this to figure the game out and then give litcube a try out after.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Wow a new X3 pack, way out of left field. Good thing I no longer have to decide between mayhem and litcube.

I hope they integrate and streamline the bonus script stuff, all that CLS/CAG stuff was very confusing to me.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

RBA Starblade posted:

Or what that race with "star system sized ships" is up to, there's some real weird stuff in the background

These dudes were from another dimension entirely and all the ones that came over here are dead now because the gate builders had to give em what for

If you buy into certain egoforums theories the Hub from X3 is actually one of said dudes' ships and not a xenon construction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW if you haven't noticed, Farnham's Legacy is free, but they have a donation pack you can buy instead to donate to Doctors Without Borders if you want to!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I’m deeply curious what they’ve done in this new pack. If they managed to port over some of the RTS elements of X4 map control I’ll have a hard time deciding which to play.

This is truly bizarre. I wonder if the team just has a deep fondness for X3’s engine. This was also a deft time to release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
And why is this free? I'm sure everyone who would be interested in this already owns X3:AP. Do they expect to get some X4 sales out of this in some roundabout way?