Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think anyone even vaguely familiar with Godzilla bought Kong as an actual threat to him, which is why they wrote in that Kong gets a sweet purp

That's a great way to put it; thanks for the chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

Arguably GMK.

And maybe the end of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lethal Weapon 5 but Kong and Godzilla. Offer no explanation. A buddy cop movie.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I do think the entire trilogy would be improved if it were about Serizawa family drama instead. Ishiro himself is kind of fascinatingly coded as conservative -- he leads an organization named "Monarch", every word out of his mouth is about the need to preserve the natural order, he's got an environmentalist bent but in a way that shades into religious awe (which as I understand it is a very common phenomenon in Japanese conservatism), his objection to Ghidorah is that he's a "false king", etc. Even his broken pocket watch is supposed to be, like, a reminder to be pessimistic about human nature.

So it makes sense that his son is, what -- desperate to prove that humanity's capacity for destruction can actually be ennobling or positive? -- and that he'd come into conflict with his father over that.

I think G14 was fine human-side but I agree they should've focused more on Serizawa and then Son in KOTM/GvK. Ken Wantanabe was much more interesting in his scenes in KOTM than the other human stories and I would've like to have seen more of him.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The movie poster thread was talking poo poo about Minilla and someone mentioned the Godziban series and oh my god how is this the first I’ve heard of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA5bZOXENF4

Oh my god shin’s tail has a face

In the production artwork for the ending Shin's tail (and probably whole body) was breaking down into a swarm like 15 foot tall things with a sort of a xenomorph body and a humanoid skull that just shot laser breath.

I thought it was a little odd people talk up how much Kong had to get boosted to be a remote threat to Godzilla but my memory of the last movies were Godzilla being slow and taking a minute of thrumming noises to fire laser breath. In this movie he's doing loving wind sprints through Hong Kong and spamming lasers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah Godzilla is way faster in this. If you start at G'14 he gets quicker and more capable in every movie. Right now he's pretty speedy, built like a tank, and has a disintegration ray that he can bop off in a couple of seconds. My man has been eating his Wheaties.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Saw it last night. Like many have already said way too many things happen for the sake of plot convenience which is a problem with most modern movies. Oh well at least the action scenes were decent and it hopefully is financially successful enough that we get more movies in this universe (hopefully with better directors and scripts).

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah Godzilla is way faster in this. If you start at G'14 he gets quicker and more capable in every movie. Right now he's pretty speedy, built like a tank, and has a disintegration ray that he can bop off in a couple of seconds. My man has been eating his Wheaties.

Godzilla running in the Monsterverse had its debut in KotM when he charged Ghidorah. but yeah, I agree, in GvsK his speed picked up even more. the wonders of CGI have given us a Godzilla built like Heisei with the agility of late Showa era.

speaking of absurd moments in the series, remember when flying saucers transported Godzilla & Rodan in energy bubbles to Planet X

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
G2K is another excellent example to pair with GMK

GMK, Godzilla is at least a pissed off ghost who lives for spite and revenge.

G2K, Godzilla shows up to deal with some loving aliens, then he decides, once that's done, gently caress this man in particular and gently caress this ENTIRE CITY especially because those people happened to be here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I really, really, really love Monsterverse Godzilla's design, and I hope he hangs around smiling and nodding and murdering jerks and smashing buildings for a few more years at least.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

with all the 'alpha' talk in this GvK, the next movie should be an omegaverse crossover

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gatts posted:

https://youtu.be/CsOig2_jsNk

I do have to say as far as it goes that laugh a great unexpected character moment and elevated the fight

Man, it didn’t hit me on first viewing how big an rear end in a top hat G is with that laugh.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Violator posted:

Man, it didn’t hit me on first viewing how big an rear end in a top hat G is with that laugh.

Yeah, Kong is fighting for his life and G knows it. G obviously is in control of the fight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

Yeah, Kong is fighting for his life and G knows it. G obviously is in control of the fight.

Kong really showed his rear end on the boat fight.

His best punch knocked Godzilla down a bit. Godzilla then immediately bitch slapped him across the boat. This is why you didn't get that song during the real fight from the trailers- there would have been a comical record scratch.

The sad thing for Kong is, to beat Godzilla, he would have to land every hit, dodge every attack, and do it all perfect. He was nailing Goji again and again and again, direct hits, full blast, all his might.

Godzilla gets a glancing blow in and Kong goes reeling.

Kong can fight as hard as he likes, but when your enemy can take everything you can dish out, and put you in the GROUND with one good shot, your rear end is in trouble

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Burkion posted:

The sad thing for Kong is, to beat Godzilla, he would have to land every hit, dodge every attack, and do it all perfect. He was nailing Goji again and again and again, direct hits, full blast, all his might.

Godzilla gets a glancing blow in and Kong goes reeling.

Kong can fight as hard as he likes, but when your enemy can take everything you can dish out, and put you in the GROUND with one good shot, your rear end is in trouble

To be fair, this is every "smart guy vs powerful giant fighter" fight for the past several decades, the big difference is that the smart guy usually wins anyways.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kong fighting Godzilla like he's a dark souls boss.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

To be fair, this is every "smart guy vs powerful giant fighter" fight for the past several decades, the big difference is that the smart guy usually wins anyways.

Usually the smart guy is appreciably smarter than the big powerful guy they're fighting.

The sad truth is, Godzilla is just as smart as Kong, maybe smarter.

Kong's only advantage is that he has more agility, which means all he can do is delay the inevitable.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kong has opposable thumbs. Needed more tools. A montage of him forging armor or shield.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kong fighting Godzilla like he's a dark souls boss.

Kong tried dodge rolling in the original KKvG and knocked himself out. Not sure what type of build he was running.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Kong's sole chance to beat Godzilla would be a decapitation strike with the axe charged, which Big G is just not going to sit there and let him do. Without the weapon, his physical might isn't enough to put Goji away, who was merely knocked out after being dropped from the upper atmosphere by Ghidorah and still conscious after the world's greatest rear end whooping by Mecha. I'm pretty sure the latter went for the Kiss of Death because he realized you can't simply bludgeon the King of Monsters into the afterlife. Any future movies will need to pit Godzilla against foes like Destroyah, Biollante, or Bagan for there to be a credible threat.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Gatts posted:

Kong has opposable thumbs. Needed more tools. A montage of him forging armor or shield.

I agree. Kong should have had a gun

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Dangerous Person posted:

Future Kong still keeps it old school.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Burkion posted:

Usually the smart guy is appreciably smarter than the big powerful guy they're fighting.

Kong's only advantage is that he has more agility, which means all he can do is delay the inevitable.

Kong may not be much cleverer than Godzilla but it's clear he's at least portrayed as more open minded and adaptable. Godzilla's got a one track mind, which is why he was perfectly willing to go ham on Kong again at the end of the movie if he hadn't dropped the axe. That's like the one thing in the movie that made perfect sense to me. Godzilla lives to fight, even the nicest versions of him, while Kong really just wants to Be Monky.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Dangerous Person posted:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the jungle vip

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How do you not end these movies with Kong literally earning his King title though

I mean come on man, it was right there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How do you not end these movies with Kong literally earning his King title though

I mean come on man, it was right there

Might be legal issues

Kong's in a real weird area

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kong prefers a republic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kong obviously prefers a monarchy and will take Mothra as his queen

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Don't know if this has been said but Kong's characterization gave me a real The Dude vibe all throughout the movie

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burkion posted:

On the other hand, the most popular TV show in America had a major fight scene where the little guy was much dumber than his opponent.

It was very, very one sided.

(In favor of the little guy.)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

El Pipila posted:

Don't know if this has been said but Kong's characterization gave me a real The Dude vibe all throughout the movie

The moment when he jumps through a gravitational stream to touch a giant stone hand (while prog rock rear end synth is playing) is primo stoner imagery

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mantis42 posted:

Kong prefers a republic.

First citizen kong sounds like the bbc miniseries of the decade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

movie absolutely needed Rodan as Starscream some more helping Godzilla but then switching sides to helping Kong to then going back to siding with Godzilla at the end.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

movie absolutely needed Rodan as Starscream some more helping Godzilla but then switching sides to helping Kong to then going back to siding with Godzilla at the end.

That's what happens in kotm pretty much lol Rodan fight against the humans is still my favorite scene in the franchise.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This poo poo was great. It is no doubt the dumbest of the Legendary films because it doesn't really try at all to justify how stupid the plot is, it simply moves because (but honestly after a few years of apocalyptic Kaiju battles maybe folks are just more earnest in saying gently caress it why not lets try this thing). All the monster punching was very enjoyable, I really liked Mecha G's design honestly. He seemed big and chonky like real godzilla, but you know MECHA. This whole thing feels like a spinal tap crank it to 11 attitude which I can very much appreciate.

If they'd added more people parts to connect the plot it would have dragged, but honestly I can't really think of a human plot in a Godzilla film I thought was good outside of Shin and the original really. The humans are just there to witness and occasionally interject, so that they basically just were pet sitting Kong to check out the action was fine by me.

This was good Godzilla things imo, even if Kong is the central protagonist. Monster Zero aint done fuckin with G if they continue this. I really disliked KSI so it was nice that Kong got a vehicle for me to enjoy him in, cause honestly I don't think there is really a better Kong story on film than the 33 original.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
SMG is right about this movie being cut to the bone. I hope enough effects work, editing, color grading, etc. has been done to the rest of the footage that we can get a 2.5-3 hour cut of this movie. Otherwise they might as well have just cut out Millie Brown, Kyle Chandler, Lance Reddick, and Brian Henry’s characters and delivered a 75 minute cut instead. In the current movie their characters and scenes they are in don’t really add anything to the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A longer cut doesn't seem to be in the cards but I would like to see the deleted scenes included on some sort of Blu-Ray release.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'd be interested to see deleted scenes but honestly am not really interested in a different cut of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Also I guess I just have a question about the “lore” So is the “power source at the center of the hollow Earth that has the same energy signature as Godzilla” suppose to be the Kong civilization axes? And are the axes scales from dead godzillas? It was unclear to me if the axes were drawing energy from the (unseen) power source or they were the power source (and I guess randomly power themselves up but can also be powered by Godzilla

It reminds me of the Doom Eternal plot that just constantly retcons itself while tripping over a bunch of needlessly complicated lore it introduced for no reason.