Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Lucasar posted:

I'm always impressed how little he brings that up when he is on commentary. Especially with all the eyepoke talk recently.

I think some people (me) still think of Bisping losing an eye as painful karmic retribution for ending Alan Belcher's career with an eye poke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

reeg posted:

I think some people (me) still think of Bisping losing an eye as painful karmic retribution for ending Alan Belcher's career with an eye poke

strong agree

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bisping blinded belcher for what he did to the man in black :colbert:

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Kennedy getting taken to the trash back-to-back by Gastelum and Romero is definitely my favorite part of his career!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

post the kennedy meme you know the one

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
eternal blessings to dunc

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol that the fight romero poo poo himself and carried on?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Southpaugh posted:

You're thinking the Brunson fight, iirc. Kennedy involved an actual scandal with the stool between rounds - Romero got pieced up a bit in the last 20 seconds or so of round 2 (with Kennedy cheating by holding the gloves) and Romero's corner "forgot" to remove the stool after the second break, and "didn't understand at first" when the ref told them to remove it, thus buying Romero more time to recover.

loving awesome.

huh from wikipedia - this is new information:

quote:

Romero faced Tim Kennedy on September 27, 2014, at UFC 178.[29] He won the fight via TKO in the third round, giving Kennedy his first stoppage loss in thirteen years. This fight generated much controversy: Romero was hurt badly at the end of round 2, and received extra time to recover between rounds. UFC color commentator Joe Rogan mistakenly blamed this on Romero's cornermen for failing to leave the Octagon on time, when the blame was actually on a UFC Cutman who applied too much Vaseline to a cut[citation needed]and referee John McCarthy for allowing Romero to stay sitting while trying to get the cutman to return to the octagon to wipe the excess off. Later it was also noticed that Kennedy was illegally holding Romero's glove while striking him at end of round 2.[30] The win earned Romero his second Fight of the Night bonus award.[31]

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

I believe that was the Brunson fight. This was the fight where Yoel got rocked (or just gassed? I forget) and fully cheated between rounds to recover. I started out on Kennedy's side and every time he opens his mouth I'm happier Yoel screwed him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was about to post Chael carrying him to the helicopter then remembered that was Brian Stann not Tim Kennedy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://streamable.com/5chuti

Also, I remember when Kennedy said he hated Leslie Nielsen for being a hypocrite about guns, only to then realize he meant Liam Neeson.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like Michael Bisping having won the belt now just affords him to talk a never ending stream of poo poo to everyone.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, I remember when Kennedy said he hated Leslie Nielsen for being a hypocrite about guns, only to then realize he meant Liam Neeson.

I always watch that clip like 5 or 6 times everytime it pops back up

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

If I ever find out a fighter hates Leslie Nielsen then they will instantly become my most hated fighter.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

BlindSite posted:

I like Michael Bisping having won the belt now just affords him to talk a never ending stream of poo poo to everyone.

feel like he'd be talking that poo poo regardless, belt or no belt and god bless him for it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

reeg posted:

Also the blatant foul against Jorge Rivera and spitting on Rivera's corner.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Manhoef, as a piece of trivia, has the highest ratio of knockout wins among virtually all MMA fighters with more than ten fights. When I read the figure he had 27 knockouts in 30 fights.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

His other example was Cain's knee collapsing and him not being KOed at all.

That was what I thought when I first watched it, but Cain eats a short uppercut as he clinches and that's enough to buckle him. How much was the punch and how much was his knee is up for argument, but it still had way more effect than it should have.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Do u have the Overeem punch confused with another punch or what because I agree about the Cain punch completely but if I had watched ngannou vs overeem live I would have thought he killed him

Oh, in result it's insane, but it's an offhand arm punch without his body behind it thrown at an opponent who was moving out of range. It wasn't a Jack Dempsey uppercut, or Curtis Blaydes ducking into Lewis' uppercut or anything. Logically, it shouldn't have much on it, but instead it nearly decapitated a very big man.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
If a fan asks Jon Jones where to get a certain UFC Bones shirt, he tells em not to bother cos it doesn't support him enough financially. What the Christ

https://youtu.be/_EluZHJSvOE

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the most impressive thing about Bisping is that he beat the best Anderson Silva to have ever fought inside the octagon... with only one eye.

Truly the middleweight GOAT.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Nierbo posted:

If a fan asks Jon Jones where to get a certain UFC Bones shirt, he tells em not to bother cos it doesn't support him enough financially. What the Christ

https://youtu.be/_EluZHJSvOE

honestly not very surprising, especially now. i am however surprised that steve-o is still alive

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... so, does middleweight Khabib schooled Luke Rockhold sound as awesome as I think it does, or is it just his stupid sexy face overriding all logic?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Nah, rockhold has traditionally had exceptional wrestling, especially in the scramble. What he needs is better boxing so he can set up takedowns and execute that game plan instead of getting knocked unconscious repeatedly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jon Jones needs to just start tweeting pro union stuff.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Volkanovski's covid journey features:

- bloody sputum
- heart rate dropping to 35bpm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49uLlzhm5M

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Volkanovski's covid journey features:

- bloody sputum
- heart rate dropping to 35bpm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49uLlzhm5M

Going to be pissed if Volk gets his lungs permanently damaged because UFC couldn't manage a Covid bubble.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Bisping was able to fight with one eye because he kept it quiet and/or lied about it. Now that he's come out and acknowledged that he's blind in one eye, he will never be allowed to fight again, barring perhaps scenarioes involving super villains and barges in international waters/volcano lairs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Automator posted:

Nah, rockhold has traditionally had exceptional wrestling, especially in the scramble. What he needs is better boxing so he can set up takedowns and execute that game plan instead of getting knocked unconscious repeatedly

He's also 36, coming off two really bad knockouts and hasn't had a win in nearly 4 years. While I'm not saying he can't have a career resurgence as a wrestlefucker, just look at the top of that division.

He not out wrestling

Gastellum
Bobby Knuckes
Derek Brunson
Cannonier
Darren Till

or suriving if he just wants to go full wrestle mode. If he wants to take a few fights against dudes like Weidman or Hall and top up his retirement plan - sure, good luck but at this point putting him against anyone in the top 5 just seems a little cruel and with his injury history I can't see him putting together 2 or 3 good wins to earn a shot.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had totally forgotten Rockhold and Weidman moving to 205 but their failures kind of make Santos and Adesanya look really impressive trying their hand at 205. Santos is on a slide but he did finish Jan.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BlindSite posted:

He's also 36, coming off two really bad knockouts and hasn't had a win in nearly 4 years. While I'm not saying he can't have a career resurgence as a wrestlefucker, just look at the top of that division.

I thought rockhold was way older than this for some reason, instead of 2 years older than me

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1379437487588786182
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1379433720244023296

They look more MMA ish to me but nothing mind blowing for me to want them. More colors and designs instead of just blandness.

https://ufcstore.com/collections/ufc-venum-fight-night-mens-apparel

$150 for hoodie
$130 for shorts
$80 for shirts
$100 for shirt with a fighters name
Even if they looked good who the hell spends that much on this poo poo. In the years of Reebok I honestly can't say I've ever seen someone in a fight outside of a fight event that I attended.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 6, 2021

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Those are really boring, and I guess on a more general level I don’t understand the appeal of being the official mma sweatsuit of the UFC or whatever. It seems like an incredibly niche and unprofitable gimmick versus letting guys be plastered with ads for condom stores and betting services.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I'm trying really hard to think of anything more to say about the Venum gear besides "it's fine"

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

Those are really boring, and I guess on a more general level I don’t understand the appeal of being the official mma sweatsuit of the UFC or whatever. It seems like an incredibly niche and unprofitable gimmick versus letting guys be plastered with ads for condom stores and betting services.

We need to go back to fighters being sponsored by local tire centers, whether Rick’s Tire Barn or Woodley having Dobbs Tire and Auto plastered across his trunks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Who is the woman in these pics? I don't recognize her.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

kay hansen

e: i only know because a different account that posted those pics tagged her and aljo and ortega

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

kay hansen

e: i only know because a different account that posted those pics tagged her and aljo and ortega

Ohhh yeah ok. I recognize the tattoo now. I don't think I've ever seen her with her hair and makeup done I guess. Thanks!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Zabit spotted.

https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1379114885028667396?s=20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Troy Queef posted:

We need to go back to fighters being sponsored by local tire centers, whether Rick’s Tire Barn or Woodley having Dobbs Tire and Auto plastered across his trunks

On the undercard of the first Toronto UFC 129 there was a guy that had Firstname Lastname Downtown Dental and I forget who it was (both the fighter and the dentist) and it haunts me to this day.

Someone that has fight pass please watch the entire card top to bottom (except the main events) and tell me what was on the man's bum, the fights are all really good too so really I'm doing you a favour.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Claude Patrick, Dr. Marty Frankel Downtown Dental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

my god.