Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Taffer posted:

Welp I just lubed some switches for the first time ever, and now I'm never going to be able to go back. Interestingly I tried it on a couple different switch types, Kailh box reds and Gateron reds, on the Kailh's there was almost no effect at all, sound and feel were barely impacted. But on the Gateron red's it's like I'm using completely different keys on a completely different keyboard. Absolutely crazy.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying ones with black housings so no LED light gets through, looks like getting ones with transparent housings is going to be a really big markup. And I wanted to try some tactile switches with this setup too :saddowns:

I forget the reason for it, but Kailh box switches don't see any benefit from lubing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
3Dkeebs is gonna have black U4T Bobas on 4/5 if anyone is in the mood for some sweet tactiles.

.Z. posted:

I forget the reason for it, but Kailh box switches don't see any benefit from lubing.

They don't hold lube on the stems and because of the box architecture you can't really lube the leaves. The stem doesn't contact the leaf directly either and there's a very tiny contact patch between the stem and "button" (for lack of a better term) that the legs of the stem actuate.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-boba-u4t-thocky-tactile-switches

Ringerkeys have non-black u4ts already in stock

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
my keychron k8 drops out like crazy if you're running a USB 3.0 transfer nearby, the usb 3.0->bluetooth interference is real. :(

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finally caved and settled on my first split ortho.

Gonna build myself a Sofle v2, with lcds, kailh hot swap sockets, boba u4s and put my MT3 Dasher on it.

First DIY build so wish me luck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Keyboards are a great thing for learning to solder, you'll do great.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
As someone new to the hobby: what's the appeal of ortho keyboards? They look uncomfortable to me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Framboise posted:

As someone new to the hobby: what's the appeal of ortho keyboards? They look uncomfortable to me.

For split keyboards, it allows for better posture.

For example if you think about your position when using a standard keyboard, you end up hunching/turning your shoulders in a bit. With a split keyboard you could space both halves out far enough that your shoulders and chest would be open and in a neutral position. And because the keyboard is split, you can know adjust the positioning and angle of the board to a more closer to vertical position. So now your forearms and wrist can be in a neutral position.

edit:
Not my setup

Taking it a step further: The Ortholinear switch layout is taking that logic and applying it to the switch layout, so now your fingers supposedly just have to move forward and back and not side to side. And the alternative typing layouts like Dvorak and Colemak move the more used letters of the English language to where your strong fingers are.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Keyboards are a great thing for learning to solder, you'll do great.

Can confirm. Last year I was paying people to solder my stuff for me -- you can even see some of my posts a few pages back about it. Now I'm making my own little solder monsters:

If I can do it, anyone can.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. How hard is it to learn different keyboard layouts anyway?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Framboise posted:

I can tell you for sure that not going in 100% slows it way the hell down. I still have to look at my Kinesis constantly (which isn't great since it defeats the point of my monitor risers or has me looking outside my glasses, neither of which is very good for me...) and not even close to touch typing with it. Though there the main issue is the rearrangement of function keys and the right-side cluster loving me up. And that's still QWERTY even, just in slightly different places.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Just to make sure before I waste any money - the Kailh hot-swap sockets can only go on PCBs designed for them, and you can tell if they're designed for them because they'll have little extra contact pads to the sides of the switch socket, right?

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

On the mapping / functional side of things (in contrast to physical layout), the difficulty of learning a new layout depends on the person and the layout you're learning, as well as whether or not you're already a touch typist.

For myself, I went from typing on QWERTY with an unorthodox style to becoming a Colemak-DH touch typer last year. My physical keyboard layout isn't any different from the standard ANSI. It took me about three weeks at thirty minutes of practice per day before I got to a speed and accuracy that made me comfortable with switching over to the layout full-time (about 40 wpm). My current typing speed actually isn't any faster than I was when I was on the standard QWERTY - about 60 wpm - but it's a lot more satisfying and comfortable to type now that my hands don't need to move as much. The fact that I can now touch type also gave me the benefit that typing games are much more enjoyable to play. I mostly bounced off of Cook Serve Delicious 2 when I originally bought it a couple years ago, but I put in 90 hours into completing CSD 3 a few months after dedicating to Colemak full time.

The biggest downside for me being on Colemak is that I'm pretty much ruined on traditional QWERTY now. Also, games usually assume QWERTY with their default keymappings. Since it's annoying to try and change them in every game, and I made some personal tweaks to the standard Colemak, I just support the layout completely through my keyboard, with different layers to switch between QWERTY and Colemak on the fly.

If you're willing to put in ten to twenty hours to learning a new keyboard layout (and more time to go beyond just a passable speed), and you have the hardware or software to go through with it, I actually recommend giving it a try. The most commonly-supported alternative would be Dvorak, but it's a radical departure from QWERTY and it actually has some layout quirks that put it behind more recently-developed layouts in terms of efficiency. Layouts like Colemak-DH and Soul try and strike a balance between learning effort and efficiency games. Some more esoteric mappings are sometimes purpose-built to be on nontraditional physical layouts, like BEAKL for split keyboards with thumb clusters. But for the most part, if you choose any commonly-cited alternative, you'll be getting a big leg up on QWERTY and your specific choice of alternative usually won't make for a major difference unless you're regularly using something other than English.

Then again, if you're already a QWERTY touch typist and its finger effort isn't causing you any trouble, there's a good argument to not fix what's not broken. Also, if you're interested in increasing your typing speed, switching your layout is unlikely to make that difference you want. Still, it's worth knowing that there are better keyboard mappings out there to trim a fair bit of that finger effort out of your life, if you decide do put a little bit of patience into choosing an alternative path.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 3, 2021

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Reminder for those who are interested that Duckboard R3.2 is going live in just under 2 hours.

R3.1 took about 5 mins to sell out sonthere痴 a decent chance you can get one if you are logged on when it goes live.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

Just to make sure before I waste any money - the Kailh hot-swap sockets can only go on PCBs designed for them, and you can tell if they're designed for them because they'll have little extra contact pads to the sides of the switch socket, right?

Correct. You can稚 just add them to a thru-hole board.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Are there any recommended keyboards with a volume wheel?

I have an old Corsair that has been beaten up moving several times/a spill or two I'd like to replace but it has a volume wheel I use all the time and feel like I'd really miss...

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

great big cardboard tube posted:

I have an old Corsair that has been beaten up moving several times/a spill or two I'd like to replace but it has a volume wheel I use all the time and feel like I'd really miss...

Does it have to be a wheel? Plenty of keyboards offer ways to control media (track pause/play/next/previous, volume) without the wheel via keybindings, eg. the CODE uses the "Menu" button next to the right CTRL + a key in the Insert cluster to do so.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Another non-answer but if you are on windows, and especially if you use multiple audio devices, I recommend the app EarTrumpet. I have it hotkeyed to the pause key on my 70%, and it brings up the mixer.

If you still insist on a knob the search keyword is "encoder", found some macro pads:
https://keeb.io/products/bdn9-rev-2-3x3-9-key-macropad-rotary-encoder-and-rgb
a split keyboard in IC stage:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111729.0
There also seems to be a lily58 board with encoder support, but sold out the places I found so you will be in for a wait. If you are into the split ortho thing. E: Either way if you are looking at the more custom keyboards it will be quite a wait unless you get very lucky, I think.

If you are looking for something prebuilt I used a logitech G610 with red cherry switches until i got my smaller one, and that has a really nice volume control. Kinda plasticy but a okay board imo. It's a shame the Logitech G Pro X sacrifices the volume control for a Gamer Button and a light button, it's a hotswappable TKL and I like their software for RGB control, so with a encoder I feel like it'd be easy to recommend.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 4, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just picked up a Keychron C1. I guess a good place to start is the foam mod?

I知 seeing on certain sources that 3mm neoprene is the way to go?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

I just picked up a Keychron C1. I guess a good place to start is the foam mod?

I知 seeing on certain sources that 3mm neoprene is the way to go?

I just get some all purpose silicone from walmart and fill the bottom plastics up and let dry and reassemble

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

This looks perfect!

Do I also need a hot air rework station? Maybe I値l hold off until I actually need it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

great big cardboard tube posted:

GMMK Pro has an encoder. It's a bit pricey, $170, doesn't ship until Q2 some time, and you'll still need to buy switches and a keycap set.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Argh why do artisan keycap group buys close earlier than they say?? Really dig the Cronenberg-ish feel of this and they pulled the rug from under me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Disharmony posted:

Argh why do artisan keycap group buys close earlier than they say?? Really dig the Cronenberg-ish feel of this and they pulled the rug from under me.

Yeah that sucks. They made an announcement in their Discord about it, and I thought, "I guarantee there are going to be a ton of people who miss out on this."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there a cheaper alternative to that drop switch tester thing so I can try out all the things?

Like can I just get a big bag of all the switches and see what I like?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Matt Zerella posted:

Is there a cheaper alternative to that drop switch tester thing so I can try out all the things?

Like can I just get a big bag of all the switches and see what I like?

You can but bear in mind that using a keyboard full of switches feels a little different than trying just one, even in a tester. There's also a lot of testers out there but there's a bit of markup for being a plastic box, some caps and a variety of switches. I guess a lot of the new ones list the switch type on the legend of the cap, so that's neat:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=switch+tester

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rexxed posted:

You can but bear in mind that using a keyboard full of switches feels a little different than trying just one, even in a tester. There's also a lot of testers out there but there's a bit of markup for being a plastic box, some caps and a variety of switches. I guess a lot of the new ones list the switch type on the legend of the cap, so that's neat:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=switch+tester

Yeah switches do not operate in a vacuum (metaphorically). A lot of the experience is how a switch interacts with a keyboard. Switch testers are okay if you already have a good idea what you are looking for in a switch and just need to compare things like spring weight or whatever. Or if you have absolutely no idea what any of the switches are like and just need some sort of baseline to start from to head in a direction.
Honestly, you're better off just getting a decent hotswap board (preferably a PCB with Millmax sockets soldered in) and going from there, because at least once you've figured out which switches to go with, you can turn it into a functional keyboard instead of sitting on a $30 box you'll probably never use again.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Does anyone what know what is keyboard or key layout is called? I just found out about mini 1800 while trying to find it but it looks like those don't have the F keys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
am i being wooshed because that looks like a (regular) 1800 to me

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

am i being wooshed because that looks like a (regular) 1800 to me

It's missing a column of keys on the right hand side which are usually the + and enter keys of the numpad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah switches do not operate in a vacuum (metaphorically). A lot of the experience is how a switch interacts with a keyboard. Switch testers are okay if you already have a good idea what you are looking for in a switch and just need to compare things like spring weight or whatever. Or if you have absolutely no idea what any of the switches are like and just need some sort of baseline to start from to head in a direction.
Honestly, you're better off just getting a decent hotswap board (preferably a PCB with Millmax sockets soldered in) and going from there, because at least once you've figured out which switches to go with, you can turn it into a functional keyboard instead of sitting on a $30 box you'll probably never use again.

Thanks to you and everyone who replied. The C1 is hot swappable so I guess I値l figure it out. For now I知 liking these gat browns. I知 going to do the foam mod, and work on the stabilizers. We will see how it goes from there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks to you and everyone who replied. The C1 is hot swappable so I guess I値l figure it out. For now I知 liking these gat browns. I知 going to do the foam mod, and work on the stabilizers. We will see how it goes from there.

Keyboards are a journey. Endgame is a lie.
I wish meetups were a thing right now because at least then you could go clack a variety of things and at least see what is out there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

aricoarena posted:

It's missing a column of keys on the right hand side which are usually the + and enter keys of the numpad.

So it is! Interesting. I hate it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!
The spacebar on my 15 year old $15 newegg special with windows XP logo windows keys finally broke after 10 years on the edge, so I went out and bought a G413 silver because I was looking for something cheap but mechanical. I used a red MX510 until the left button got too hard to press reliably 2 years ago, for reference as to how cheap I am with peripherals that do their jobs.

I love it so far, just the bee's knees after 15 years of that loving garbage. I learned how to type on Selectrics and this just feels so good compared to domes. Plus you can actually loving clean it, I like the open floorplan a lot.

I bought a true high-end computer before I joined the 21st century of keyboarding, and I'm pretty sure there's no going back on either at this point.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Less complaint/question, more observation: Kinesis should probably reopen their storefront at some point. They fully admit to not having control of third party sellers' prices and the VIP3 tent kits are approaching as expensive as or more than the keyboard itself. Wild.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man I want this aesthetic keycap set so bad but its a lot of pink and the green alternatives are $58. May just have to live with it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth I saw this on Reddit the other day and I really dig it: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/katakana-by-marius-104-key-custom-cherry-mx-keycap-set-1.html

You can set the background color to be the same color as an Arizona Green Tea can and I.... kinda want it :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vintersorg posted:

Man I want this aesthetic keycap set so bad but its a lot of pink and the green alternatives are $58. May just have to live with it.

This set? https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-epbt-aesthetic
or... I should say this set: https://www.deskhero.ca/products/epbt-aesthetic :canada:
What are you putting it on? Maybe just get Katakana Alphas and Alt mods?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep the Canadian one.

Also nothing yet! :lol: I need to buy a 60% keyboard as well. But I don't want to miss out on this as it seems once they are gone that's it unless they rerelease.

But that would be better, eh? poo poo... it's not like I actually look at the drat things when I type.

drat, you might have just saved me a ton of money! Also need to get that sushi mat by the end of the month.

https://www.deskhero.ca/collections/open-group-buys/products/deskmat-sushi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Went ahead and ordered a Keychron C1 because I want to try the TKL layout. I've tried the 75% with my Akko 3084 (which I love) and after getting the Durgod Fusion to try a 65%, I think I want just a keyboard minus the numpad for at-home use. For work I've got my GK98 which is great because it's the exact width as my laptop and takes up less space.

I'm tempted to sell my Fusion because I can't get over the pinging and lack of function row. I do like the dual wireless connection with the 2.4 and the bluetooth which I've used for sending emails/texts for my phone, but that's more of a fun convenience rather than practical.