Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I wish EA wasn't forcing the Star Wars IP on their developers.

Need for Speed sucks and has for a long time. Criterion (or what's left of it) has been there and just used to support Star Wars games when they could have revived the Burnout IP. Now apparently they're tasked with taking over the Need for Speed IP and EA should really just let these studios work on the IPs that they're known for. They've bought Codemasters and will probably have them make a Star Wars RPG or something rather than keep doing what they're good at, sucks that Take Two couldn't finalize the acquisition before EA swooped in.

EA made criterion start making NFS games (I think Hot pursuit was the first one?) and then started Team Ghost with some of the criterion people. I dont think anyone still there is from the original burnout team. Alex Ward, the founder of Criterion is now making Burnout-like games Dangerous Driving 1 and soon to release Dangerous driving 2, although DD1 feels like a chinese knock-off of Burnout 3 for mobile devices or something.

Team ghost has had pretty poor reception for all their NFS games so they are putting criterion back in charge but I dont think its enough really, especially if none of the original team are there.

NFS hot pursuit remastered is good though!

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I started playing Shadow Warrior. I think this game might be racist? Not sure.

I also start feeling sick after playing it for about an hour. I don't think I can handle fast paced FPS on my new big TV. It's making me think about downgrading.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well after taking a long break and roughly 4 months later, I did it, I got through to ending C in Nier Automata on my One S, lol. Went back to go through endings D and E just now too. God drat, what a loving game. Love everything about it — the weird rear end story, slick combat, awesome music, and great art direction. I was scared to delete my save data in ending E, lmao, since I eventually wanna go back and 100% the rest of the cheevos. But man, it's easily one of my favorite games for sure. Highly recommended! It just recently got added to Game Pass for PC as well, for anyone with a passing interest.

Looking forward to picking up Nier Replicant on PC later this month now :dance:

...or maybe I'll wait til it drops on Game Pass, lol.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can restart the game, use the dev cheat in the... Marx arena, I think? to unlock chapter select, then buy all the achievements in the achievement store at the resistance base

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

EA made criterion start making NFS games (I think Hot pursuit was the first one?) and then started Team Ghost with some of the criterion people. I dont think anyone still there is from the original burnout team. Alex Ward, the founder of Criterion is now making Burnout-like games Dangerous Driving 1 and soon to release Dangerous driving 2, although DD1 feels like a chinese knock-off of Burnout 3 for mobile devices or something.

Team ghost has had pretty poor reception for all their NFS games so they are putting criterion back in charge but I dont think its enough really, especially if none of the original team are there.

NFS hot pursuit remastered is good though!

Hot Pursuit owns, shame that their take on Most Wanted was pretty bad and essentially Burnout Paradise 0.5 :smith: Funnily enough it was Criterion who asked EA if they could take a shot at the NFS franchise and while Hot Pursuit is really good, that was clearly the end for them.

I think Three Fields may implode soon because their strategy is to rush and pump games out that are really at best prototypes, and after they did their Dangerous Driving version of Burnout 3, apparently their next project is an open world racer like Burnout Paradise which I can't see them pulling off, or if they do it's going to be abysmal. It's a shame that they don't have the resources to actually take their time and make something proper but I think Alex said they need to release stuff regularly to keep the studio alive since no-one is interested in investing.

Also yeah, Team Ghost was a bunch of ex-Criterion and since Criterion is tiny now, they're obviously just gonna merge the two studios and nothing will really change.

Do you remember during the 360/PS3 gen a prototype video for a Burnout-style take on Road Rash was leaked? Mostly untextured and white but it looked promising. I just found it on YouTube and apparently it was part of a showreel for someone but drat I wish EA had turned this into a real game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHz2u-33Y4

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's clear Ghost has its heart in the right place, between Underground 3, Payback and Heat the campaigns were solid, the maps fantastic and the aesthetics cohesive - but they just don't seem able to land on a good driving model :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ruffian Price posted:

You can restart the game, use the dev cheat in the... Marx arena, I think? to unlock chapter select, then buy all the achievements in the achievement store at the resistance base

Yeah that was the cheat code found a few months ago that lets you skip to the end from the prologue, but that's no fun! Lol.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super No Vacancy posted:

you can just sort your game library by platform and it will put the ones with series enhancements at the top with a logo on them.

the back compat games with fps boost are just
Dishonored: Definitive Edition
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Far Cry 4
New Super Lucky's Tale (120fps)
Prey
Sniper Elite 4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
UFC 4
Watch Dogs 2

Sniper elite 4 and watch dogs 2 were games I was sad about no one X patch so pretty funny that they ended up on this list.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

you can just sort your game library by platform and it will put the ones with series enhancements at the top with a logo on them.

the back compat games with fps boost are just
Dishonored: Definitive Edition
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Far Cry 4
New Super Lucky's Tale (120fps)
Prey
Sniper Elite 4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
UFC 4
Watch Dogs 2

Right, but like some games like Monster Hunter and GTA IV apparently(?) take advantage of an unlocked framerate? So also interested in those.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Digital Foundry did an article on the original disc version of AC Unity which, if left unpatched, runs with an unlocked framerate

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Bioshock on the Xbox 360 has an unlocked frame rate option in the game's menus.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sniper elite 4 and watch dogs 2 were games I was sad about no one X patch so pretty funny that they ended up on this list.

I found Sniper Elite 4 unplayable at 30FPS. At 60 it's a pleasure to play.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aw loving bullshit, Game Pass is pulling seven games on April 16th.

Madden 15 (Console)
Madden 16 (Console)
Madden 17 (Console)
Madden 18 (Console)
Madden 25 (Console)
NHL 18 (Console)
NHL 19 (Console)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

univbee posted:

Madden 15 (Console)
Madden 16 (Console)
Madden 17 (Console)
Madden 18 (Console)
Madden 25 (Console)
NHL 18 (Console)
NHL 19 (Console)

lol

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
GTA V is coming back to Game Pass. Is the the first time a game has left the service and came back later on?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

GTA V is coming back to Game Pass. Is the the first time a game has left the service and came back later on?

I somehow managed to avoid playing gta 5 all this time. But this won't be the series x/s version right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

But this won't be the series x/s version right?

Nope

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I somehow managed to avoid playing gta 5 all this time. But this won't be the series x/s version right?

Not sure, just says it's coming to cloud + console.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like the only good way to play GTA is on PC in an RP server.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

BisterdDave posted:

A couple of Bethesda games were on Gamepass shortly and returned with the buyout.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did they announce a series x version of gta5 or is that a ps5 exclusive

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the wording on the trailer was "next gen"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the wording on the trailer was "next gen"

And an official news/blog post noted:
“ As recently revealed at Sony’s PlayStation 5 digital event, the adventures of Michael, Franklin and Trevor are coming to a new generation of consoles, including PlayStation 5, in the second half of 2021. “

Obviously they wouldn’t miss any opportunity to sell people another copy.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 6, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder what happened to that version, I haven't seen any updates on it since summer last year. Did I miss any updates on its release date?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I wonder what happened to that version, I haven't seen any updates on it since summer last year. Did I miss any updates on its release date?

The second half of 2021 has been all the release date information they've announced, I believe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If they released the game that came out on PS4 but at 60fps and better load times, I'd be all over it. It's an amazing game that somehow hobbled through two generations of consoles that couldn't run it that well. That they got it running at all on PS3/Xbox360 is a testament to R*

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm just here waiting for Oblivion to get the FPS Boost treatment. If such a thing is even possible.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BisterdDave posted:

Rockstar games cycle in short bursts to get people hooked and then force them to pay. RDR2 has been on twice now at least. That's how they got me.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If they released the game that came out on PS4 but at 60fps and better load times, I'd be all over it. It's an amazing game that somehow hobbled through two generations of consoles that couldn't run it that well. That they got it running at all on PS3/Xbox360 is a testament to R*

considering we're more or less past the screenshot era, it would be really great if devs would start prioritizing framerate above all.

seems like it would be in their best interest to look smooth and fast on streams/Youtube

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can kinda make an argument too that the PS3/360 versions are the better versions for online too because they havent been updated in years with all of the grinding changes, and a lot of people don't like all of the additional vehicles and content added to the game because most of it isn't good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The new cars and stuff are cool, but they are impossibly expensive. Money cheaters happened, so Rockstar increased the price of everything, but didn't increase the payout of missions. So you either have to grind endlessly to get new stuff, or resort to cheating like the hackers did. And they didn't increase the amount of money shark cards give you, so you end up paying 20 real dollars for a fake car. So you can't even pay to win. It just sucks rear end.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1379435447709966344?s=19
Slay the Spire finally got touch controls. Was crazy it launched without them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For playing games through xCloud, is there a way to play that yet on PC? Or is that mobile only?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

For playing games through xCloud, is there a way to play that yet on PC? Or is that mobile only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMq0rXfRtE

It's still a bit janky but it's doable

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL it’s crazy how long it taking them to get this on the PC.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bushisms.txt posted:

Slay the Spire finally got touch controls. Was crazy it launched without them.

It's had them for a while, how I've been playing it for the last month or so at least.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

univbee posted:

Madden 15 (Console)
Madden 16 (Console)
Madden 17 (Console)
Madden 18 (Console)
Madden 25 (Console)
NHL 18 (Console)
NHL 19 (Console)

It's always been really amazing to me how long Madden 25 has stayed on there or EA Play. The game came out in 2013, lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

NGL it’s crazy how long it taking them to get this on the PC.

They gotta perfect it so they can completely embarrass Stadia (even more so)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

It's had them for a while, how I've been playing it for the last month or so at least.

Huh weird, couldn't get them to work when I tried a month ago. Probably my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

barnold posted:

It's always been really amazing to me how long Madden 25 has stayed on there or EA Play. The game came out in 2013, lol

I was hoping it’d stick around until the actual Madden 25 comes out in a few years.