Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bill beat up thor and took his hammer, which immediately endeared him to odin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going through back issues on Marvel Unlimited and I'm half way though the Dark Phoenix saga (I'm on #132) and they have packed a lot into the first few issues. The X-Men have returned to the mansion after being reunited when the two halves of the team thought the other half was dead and they find a returned Prof. Xavier. You have the first full appearance of the Hellfire Club in #129 as well as the introduction of Dazzler and Kitty Pride. Plus the cool pic of Wolverine at the end of #132.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 5, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

I'm going through back issues on Marvel Unlimited and I'm half way though the Dark Phoenix saga (I'm on #132) and they have packed a lot into the first few issues. The X-Men have returned to the mansion after being reunited when the two halves of the team thought the other half was dead and they find a returned Prof. Xavier. You have the first full appearance of the Hellfire Club in #129 as well as the introduction of Dazzler and Kitty Pride. Plus the cool pic of Wolverine at the end of #132.

Yeah, they paid Claremont by the word.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cloks posted:

Yeah, they paid Claremont by the word.

Just finished #137 and he did manage to cram a lot in. Also took every opportunity to get various X-Men out of their clothes.

It feels like it's the beginning of the end of the most coherent period in X-Men history. Now Scott is going to go off and meet Madelyne Pryor and then Jean will come back and it just will, well, become the X-Men I suppose.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

Just finished #137 and he did manage to cram a lot in. Also took every opportunity to get various X-Men out of their clothes.

It feels like it's the beginning of the end of the most coherent period in X-Men history. Now Scott is going to go off and meet Madelyne Pryor and then Jean will come back and it just will, well, become the X-Men I suppose.

Oh man, if that's as far as you are on Claremont, you're about to learn a lot about how his fetishes shaped the X-Men. Claremont is a good writer and his is arguably the definitive take but he is horny horny.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
since it was on sale because of Falcon & Winter Soldier I just finished reading the Cap VS Cap paperback that covered John Walker's stint in the red white and blue and am shocked by how much it reminded me of Knight's Quest

I know that superhero stories tend to "echo" each other a lot, sometimes at the exact same time (Winter Soldier/Red Hood) and sometimes separated by distance of time

and it probably wasn't the first instance of a character having their identity usurped by an edgier guy

but

i still feel like maybe chuck dixon and the gang owed mark gruenwald a steak dinner

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

There's about 3 years of comics between madelyne Pryor showing up and Jean Grey coming back, and Pryor doesn't get done truly dirty until the end of the Australia arc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

There's about 3 years of comics between madelyne Pryor showing up and Jean Grey coming back, and Pryor doesn't get done truly dirty until the end of the Australia arc.

I must admit I am looking forward to Rogue coming in and the Australian stuff. Never read that before.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Australia-era X-men is so loving good, it's really Claremont firing on all cylinders.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cloks posted:

Oh man, if that's as far as you are on Claremont, you're about to learn a lot about how his fetishes shaped the X-Men. Claremont is a good writer and his is arguably the definitive take but he is horny horny.

POV: you're Jim Lee reading the script for the next issue of X-Men and you realise you're going to have to draw one of the women as a tiny child for the umpteenth time.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm working my way through X-Men chronologically and I'm in '83 right now and Claremont is still in his "Storm absolutely must get naked at least every three issues" phase. Rogue was just introduced so I'm imagining that she's next because a naked Rogue is a very dangerous Rogue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm working my way through X-Men chronologically and I'm in '83 right now and Claremont is still in his "Storm absolutely must get naked at least every three issues" phase. Rogue was just introduced so I'm imagining that she's next because a naked Rogue is a very dangerous Rogue.

I swear to god someone in management must have had a talk with him at some point because soon after that he transitioned to “and in this story the x-men’s uniforms are shredded, reducing them to wearing Mad Max style scraps” every five issues instead of Storm shower scenes and Hellfire Club corsets.

So much Savage Land.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I swear to god someone in management must have had a talk with him at some point because soon after that he transitioned to “and in this story the x-men’s uniforms are shredded, reducing them to wearing Mad Max style scraps” every five issues instead of Storm shower scenes and Hellfire Club corsets.

So much Savage Land.

great art triumphs over adversity

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

I think the only X-Men member than hasn't at least been reduced to their underwear by now is Professor X.

There was a scene I did like where the reunited X-Men had returned and Professor X was training them. As Scott goes to check on their progress Wolverine comes storming out and passes Scott saying something to the effect of "I don't need this poo poo, tell Xavier to shove it." before driving off. Scott pops his head in and says hello, Xavier says hello and for Scott to the Wolverine he has ten demerits and Scott replies that Wolverine is a grown man who has been through some real poo poo and this baby demerit nonsense is going to mean the square root of gently caress all to him. I thought it was a good way of showing that Xavier had lost touch with the group after being away and Scott had grown into the leader role.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

So much Savage Land.

Although it's funny the one who apparently thought we needed all the Savage Land, no, even MORE Savage Land was Byrne. It's hard to overstate how much the Hidden Years thought we wanted more of the X-Men farting about the lost world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Dinosaurs are fun to draw. There's a Mike Mignola Wolverine one shot and he apparently only agreed to do it if it was in the Savage Land because he wanted to draw Dinosaurs. See also Frank Cho's Savage Wolverine arc.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Karma Tornado posted:

Odin lifted the enchantment off of Mjolnir and put it onto Stormbringer, yeah. Bill could look like a normal whatever he is and Stormbringer would turn into a cane. Horse face was a cyborg enhancement his people did to make him into a superhero in the first place, everything else was Odin being pretty chill for like forty pages in a row, or probably setting somebody else up to count as "Thor" when Ragnarok came around again, I can't remember

But why would you agree to be turned into a horse faced cyborg, if they weren't going to at least give you a horse's wang?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe as an asgardian sif has seen enough huge wangs in her thousands of years that that alone doesn't cut it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Something that only recently just occurred to me about Rogue that I've been wondering about: how much of her personality is really her now? Like, after she took too much from Carol and had her face turn, is it really still her or a hybrid/amalgamated personality?

I guess what I'm asking is if Rogue, in her natural state, if she hadn't absorbed Carol's powers and memories, would she still be a callous sack of poo poo or was the guilt genuinely hers and she would have always left the Brotherhood eventually?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Something that only recently just occurred to me about Rogue that I've been wondering about : how much of her personality is really her now? Like, after she took too much from Carol and had her face turn, is it really still her or a hybrid/amalgamated personality?

I guess what I'm asking is if Rogue, in her natural state, if she hadn't absorbed Carol's powers and memories, would she still be a callous sack of poo poo or was the guilt genuinely hers and she would have always left the Brotherhood eventually?

I've always also wondered how much is actually someone's personality getting absorbed, and how much is it just Rogue reacting naturally to literally walking a mile in someone else's shoes. Like if all of a sudden I just had all of someone else's memories, that's almost certainly going to permanently change how I think about things going forward even if there's nothing that specifically overwrote my existing personality.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sentinel Red posted:

Something that only recently just occurred to me about Rogue that I've been wondering about : how much of her personality is really her now? Like, after she took too much from Carol and had her face turn, is it really still her or a hybrid/amalgamated personality?

The World's Foremost Rogue Scholar (*) Kelly Thompson weighed in on that very topic at the end of her first arc of Captain Marvel

(*) not really, but she did once rank all of Rogue's outfits so close enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

There's tons of stories where someone is an rear end, does something horrific and that sort of snaps them out of it and they start to seek redemption, without them absorbing anyone's memories. Hell, that's sorta what the song Amazing Grace is about.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

There's tons of stories where someone is an rear end, does something horrific and that sort of snaps them out of it and they start to seek redemption, without them absorbing anyone's memories. Hell, that's sorta what the song Amazing Grace is about.

That's the thing though, the absorbing memories and possibly personality traits muddies the waters somewhat that your bog standard examples wouldn't have. Certainly, Carol wasn't the first she did it to, just one she took more than she intended to. I just have this weird memory of Rogue's face in that Avengers annual(?) looking so gleeful and creepy as attacked someone and it got me wondering, though as howe_sam's post shows, the most recent examination of it seems to be inconclusive as it's written with neither of them really knowing for sure.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Managed to get over the terrible bump that is Avengers #200. Don't know if it's the worst Avengers issue. It's probably not the worst issue of anything that Marvel have put out and definitely not the worst issue of any comic in the world that has been put out (I don't know what that is but there has to be a worse one.) Not sure when the next bump will be but it has to be a while before I get one as bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Managed to get over the terrible bump that is Avengers #200. Don't know if it's the worst Avengers issue. It's probably not the worst issue of anything that Marvel have put out and definitely not the worst issue of any comic in the world that has been put out (I don't know what that is but there has to be a worse one.) Not sure when the next bump will be but it has to be a while before I get one as bad.

It is in the running for worst Avengers issue. I admire Jim Shooter for taking the rap for it if even he doesn't remember writing it at the time but the buck has to stop somewhere.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Dinosaurs are fun to draw. There's a Mike Mignola Wolverine one shot and he apparently only agreed to do it if it was in the Savage Land because he wanted to draw Dinosaurs. See also Frank Cho's Savage Wolverine arc.

Gabriel Del’Otto did those two issues of Avenging Spider-Man which was pretty much just Devil Dinosaur fighting Demon Dinosaur in the Savage Land.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Gabriel Del’Otto did those two issues of Avenging Spider-Man which was pretty much just Devil Dinosaur fighting Demon Dinosaur in the Savage Land.

Byrne has a lot of faults, but wanting to draw more dinosaurs isn't really one I can blame him for.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
He doesn’t WANT to draw people curing cancer. He wants to draw dinosaurs.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

bessantj posted:

I think the only X-Men member than hasn't at least been reduced to their underwear by now is Professor X.

Keep reading!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Really recommend people read this one-off story about JJJ in Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 1 #80. It's a hoot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Metalshark posted:

Really recommend people read this one-off story about JJJ in Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 1 #80. It's a hoot.

I'm on issue #46 at the moment. I suspect it'll take a while for me to get to it, but it looks fun.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Metalshark posted:

When I was a kid, I didn't read Spectacular or Web* because I only had so much money for comics and I'd gotten it into my head that Amazing was the "real" and therefore "best" Spider-Man to be read. I missed out on some really good stuff, but it was a treat to go back and binge-read it all.

*Unless I got the odd issue in a three-pack.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Keep reading!

I was just gonna tell him the same - better strap in for the Morlocks.

I’m in the same boat - I read X-Men classic as a kid so I knew the Dark Phoenix Saga, and I picked up the regular titles for the first time during Inferno, but I never read much of what was in-between outside of a few issues. I decided late last year to start up with #150 and go straight through until Claremont was booted off, and it was a wild ride. When you get to the post “force everyone into the Seige Perilous” stories, tho, the whole thing kinda falls off a cliff. I used to think they did Chris dirty, but letting him go at that point was a mercy killing.

Reading it all in a “binge” format REALLY drives home what Claremont likes. BDSM, de-aging, death and resurrection, “tough” one-on-one confrontational conversations, body swapping/molding/disfiguring, and the word “caper”. Holy hell, I swear he has to say it at least once an issue. And MAN did he love Psylocke from the start. Once he was able to get her into the book she was the clear favorite - and the replacement for Storm in the “how do we get her naked or barely clothed as often possible” category.

Also, Paul Smith was such a great fit for that book and so was early-in-his-career JRJr.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

When I was a kid, I didn't read Spectacular or Web* because I only had so much money for comics and I'd gotten it into my head that Amazing was the "real" and therefore "best" Spider-Man to be read. I missed out on some really good stuff, but it was a treat to go back and binge-read it all.

*Unless I got the odd issue in a three-pack.

I was kinda the same way, but Web and Spectacular in the mid-to-late 80s were kind of a hit-or-miss mess until Gerry Conway took over. Peter David had a cool run on Spectacular but the real treasure is the early 80s run of Mantlo/Milgrom. Lot of great street-level crime stuff with the Black Cat, Cloak and Dagger, the Punisher, and the kingpin.
L

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Conway the best Spider-Man writer?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so Echo is the new Phoenix after all, as close reading of the covers and Heroes Reborn solicits suggested. what a weird decision, but maybe Aaron or another writer will do something interesting with it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Barry Convex posted:

so Echo is the new Phoenix after all, as close reading of the covers and Heroes Reborn solicits suggested. what a weird decision, but maybe Aaron or another writer will do something interesting with it

I remember when I had dreams too... :gbsmith:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Conway the best Spider-Man writer?

Yes and it’s not even close. Between his Amazing and Spectacular in the 70s and his return to Spectacular in the 80s and 90s, he’s far and away the best.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Barry Convex posted:

Here’s to hoping. Always liked Echo.

Also, Vulpes is confirmed for writing Moon Knight in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask, but does anyone know how often the Marvel Universe app adds old stuff to the catalogue?