Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

The first episode aired on Comedy Central in late February or early March.

It also aired on CTV SciFi in Canada on Thursdays for its initial run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

The first episode aired on Comedy Central in late February or early March.

Huh, I never saw anything about that. Hell, even a Google search turns up just a single reddit post with no replies. They really didn't go out of their way to tell anyone about it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just kind of assume that the temporal wars ended up with some kind of event that basically removed the ability to even time travel. You can even make that an explanation for how Discovery and Michael got separated, with the wormhole collapsing as they passed that period of history.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
See a Vulcan baby was marooned on a planet filled with timeranium and then when it realized its mom died it screamed so loud that all the timeranium in the universe exploded at once prevent time travel forever and forever and ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Axe-man posted:

See a Vulcan baby was marooned on a planet filled with timeranium and then when it realized its mom died it screamed so loud that all the timeranium in the universe exploded at once prevent time travel forever and forever and ever.

Make that baby also Spock somehow and be saved by Michaels love for him and sent back in time using the last of the timeranium so he can be born closing the time loop that Spock would never of even been born with her and I'm sold.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Senor Tron posted:

I just kind of assume that the temporal wars ended up with some kind of event that basically removed the ability to even time travel. You can even make that an explanation for how Discovery and Michael got separated, with the wormhole collapsing as they passed that period of history.

This doesn't work given an episode later in the season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Just watched In the Pale Moonlight

Sisko is a naughty boy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This doesn't work given an episode later in the season.

You could probably just say the Guardian is better at time travel than anyone else

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Honestly, it'd probably be better for the setting as a whole if they just said "Yeah, due to the time war, the slingshot effect and other 'routine' means of time travel don't work anymore, but unique artifacts like the Guardian or the Orb of Time still work." Star Trek's acquired an embarrassingly large number of ways to time travel, and while I love a good time travel adventure as much as anyone, it'd be nice to at least pretend it's hard to gently caress around with history.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Honestly, it'd probably be better for the setting as a whole if they just said "Yeah, due to the time war, the slingshot effect and other 'routine' means of time travel don't work anymore, but unique artifacts like the Guardian or the Orb of Time still work." Star Trek's acquired an embarrassingly large number of ways to time travel, and while I love a good time travel adventure as much as anyone, it'd be nice to at least pretend it's hard to gently caress around with history.

Yeah, the Guardian is basically God level technology that doesn't count.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Hell just say if you try to do the whole slingshot thing now the Guardian shows up and tells you no.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nullsmack posted:

Hell just say if you try to do the whole slingshot thing now the Guardian shows up and tells you no.

I initially read this as Guinan and didn’t question it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure that the Guardian just kind of does what it wants

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Does the look and, more importantly, the voice of the Guardian hold up to the original? That voice was tremendous.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They just sampled the voice from TOS, so technically yes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

a neat cape posted:

Sisko is a naughty boy

the only bad thing about Pale Moonlight is that there's only like one really good episode after it until the baseball one

e: okay the one where garak is having another breakdown is pretty decent

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So it turns out 3 different groups have completed 3 different versions of DS9 AI upscales for the entire series (one of them has released S1-4 of Voyager and is working on the other 3 as well). I tracked down what's generally accepted as the best of the 3, and while it's clearly not a professional effort...

holy poo poo it's like watching the show for the first time again. We watched You Are Cordially Invited and I had to pause multiple times to marvel at just how amazing stuff like Alexander's uniform or Sirella's jewelry look.

e: the craziest thing is thanks to better encoding etc. the upscaled versions are actually smaller files than my original DVD rips.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 6, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Huh, I never saw anything about that. Hell, even a Google search turns up just a single reddit post with no replies. They really didn't go out of their way to tell anyone about it.

Yeah, it was very strange. I remember it because I was in the hospital at the time, doped to the gills on IV painkillers, and Comedy Central was just running episodes of South Park; out of the blue at 7 p.m., there it was, the pilot of Lower Decks. Then at 7:30, it went right back to South Park for the rest of the night.

Maybe it was the drugs talking, but the pilot was better than I remembered, outside of the gag at the beginning with Mariner teasing Boimler about his log entry taking for-loving-ever to finish. Jesus, that scene just didn't end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So it turns out 3 different groups have completed 3 different versions of DS9 AI upscales for the entire series (one of them has released S1-4 of Voyager and is working on the other 3 as well). I tracked down what's generally accepted as the best of the 3, and while it's clearly not a professional effort...

holy poo poo it's like watching the show for the first time again. We watched You Are Cordially Invited and I had to pause multiple times to marvel at just how amazing stuff like Alexander's uniform or Sirella's jewelry look.

e: the craziest thing is thanks to better encoding etc. the upscaled versions are actually smaller files than my original DVD rips.

I'm going to need to find these. I'm pretty nonplussed by any artifacting and upscaling abnormality because it already looks quasi-lovely as a fuzzy upscaled 480p picture on my HDTV. If I'm going to be annoyed by one I'd rather be annoyed by some weird artifact every now and then than by the copy that is essentially watching TV through vaseline coated glasses.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's pretty much exactly what you get. There's artifacting here and there (it was really only glaring in 1 scene I've seen so far) and some scenes look better than others (the early seasons don't seem to be nearly as clear as the later ones) but overall it's really an incredible experience.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Joy is the version of these you want BTW. I have it and it's very good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Joy is the version of these you want BTW. I have it and it's very good.

yeah, Joy is the release and UTRCorp is the uploader if you want to search for it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah, Joy is the release and UTRCorp is the uploader if you want to search for it
I've only found the first season from my usual places, did they do the whole series yet?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

WhiteHowler posted:

I've only found the first season from my usual places, did they do the whole series yet?

Yep.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

They just sampled the voice from TOS, so technically yes.

Oh, well once again even though I haven't watched it, Discovery has disappointed me. I mean I'm glad they didn't make it awful, but the Guardian to me should be a little more sentient than my insurance company's automated phone bot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Goblin Craft posted:

Oh, well once again even though I haven't watched it, Discovery has disappointed me. I mean I'm glad they didn't make it awful, but the Guardian to me should be a little more sentient than my insurance company's automated phone bot.

It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrheVRk7-pI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ3yqKjwF0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, that's oversimplifying it. It presents as an entity and only sample the voice (combined with the current actor's voice) when the big reveal happens.

Edit: Beaten with clips.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"I was made to present the past in this manner. I cannot change.

Nah, I'm loving with you. You go to whenever, kid."

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

a neat cape posted:

Sisko is a naughty boy

He can live with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

a neat cape posted:

Sisko is a naughty boy

He's not a naughty naughty boy, he's the messiah

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
So really it is the Bajorans that are a bad people because their Messiah is not perfect :thunk:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No Bajorans are bad because they’re racist against Skrreeans, secretly love the caste system, and elect the most boring, blank-faced white men as their religious leaders.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Skreeans said they would bring that unfarmable land back to being fertile grounds, but they make a lot of promises and they always flake

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm going to assume by "it is" you meant both that it's depicted as more sentient than I thought, and that they made it awful.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Goblin Craft posted:

I'm going to assume by "it is" you meant both that it's depicted as more sentient than I thought, and that they made it awful.

Nah the episodes were a waste of a 2-parter focusing on Mirror Universe stuff, but the depiction of the Guardian was some good stuff that felt very much like a TNG/DS9/VOY godlike alien.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah, well then they should have posted some clips that showed that, instead of these ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, those two clips are essentially 90% of the Guardian’s total screentime in S3.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Good to know that I'm not missing out on anything I'd like then, lest I be tempted to hatewatch just to catch a few nuggets of something worthwhile.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The Guardian was boring, and the way they found him is peak Discovery writing: Literally asking the computer to advance the plot for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I did my time with RTD in Doctor Who and vowed never again.