Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
wanna play?!?!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been low-key wondering when we'd get more Pongo pictures :3:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I think your concerns are valid and it's a big leap to go from one dog to two (and then a slippy slope to three). You need to be prepared for them to not get along or two have to keep them separate long term as you do careful introductions. It isn't fair to let the older dog have to be the one to teach the young one manners and it also isn't ok to have your puppy chomped by a resource guardy adult. There are some good books on managing multi-dog households if you want to read more before deciding, "Feeling Outnumbered?" and "Multiple Dog Household: a guide to training and problem-solving" are the books I've been recommended.

I got my most recent puppy for similar reasons as your wife and while it's a ton of work and she has to be kept separate from my senior dog I don't regret it at all. No one will ever replace my old man it's such a relief to no longer be up at night worrying about the day I come home to an empty house

Thanks, this is good stuff! Having to manage a household where we have two dogs that can't really be around each other is my biggest worry. I love my dog but aside from leash-reactivity she's been really good and really easy. Before we had her we fostered a lot of dogs (one at a time) with a lot of different needs and I'm not exactly eager to get back into a position of managing dog drama every day.

devmd01 posted:

wanna play?!?!??

yes, very much

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I let my first dog pick out my other two dogs from the shelters.

I picked out which dogs to introduce her to but no one was coming home without her approval.

My second dog didn't get a say with the third dog because she's small and hates everyone so she's been reclassified as a "cat".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sab669 posted:

I've been low-key wondering when we'd get more Pongo pictures :3:

He is a very handsome boy that knows that nearly every cashier has dog treats and is happy to behave for one of them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

wtf. Why are there 2 Dog threads lol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sab669 posted:

wtf. Why are there 2 Dog threads lol.

There's one in Pet Island for general dog advice and talk, and then there's the one in the VFW for dog pictures almost exclusively. Think of as a "PYF Dogs" thread, and then treasure it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's one in Pet Island for general dog advice and talk, and then there's the one in the VFW for dog pictures almost exclusively. Think of as a "PYF Dogs" thread, and then treasure it.

They might be talking about the quarantine puppy/dog advice thread that serves basically the same function as this one.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova says YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
we are returning to crate training! Our issue with CT was that Sherlock would become obsessed with the crate and with back chaining, and as soon as my boyfriend would wake up and take his medication Sherlock would retreat to the crate and refuse to come out (he hates walks.)

We are going to start locking the crate at night and then opening it in the AM after the walk. Simple solutions for complicated problems.

Here's to crates.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Back in my day there were 20 new threads about dogs a day and no one complained that there were too many dog threads :corsair:

(I helped with this OP and think there are some better resources now so I made another thread with more COVID specific stuff)

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

cailleask posted:

Nova says YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

:3: here's my nova

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Love it when the puppy goes into long mode. I’m yet to capture a picture of it, but this happens a lot during Bed and Bone time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Back in my day there were 20 new threads about dogs a day and no one complained that there were too many dog threads :corsair:

(I helped with this OP and think there are some better resources now so I made another thread with more COVID specific stuff)

I'm not complaining, more just like wtf look at all those photos I've been missing

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We hit up the greenway by our neighborhood after dark for a three mile walk, it’s only a half a mile away.

This was the best walk we have ever had together. He basically walked right next to me the entire time; such that I could just drape the leash across his back and he kept pace perfectly. I gave him lots of praise the entire time for being a very good boy.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
We have a new (~10 week) puppy - the vet gave us a sample of NexGard and HeartGard. Ticks and heartworm are both prevalent in our area (upstate New York) so we want to continue with something like this, but NexGard appears to cost a small fortune. Happy to pay it if it's worth it, but then there are a million competing options at varying prices. Is there any consensus on this?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Turds in magma posted:

We have a new (~10 week) puppy - the vet gave us a sample of NexGard and HeartGard. Ticks and heartworm are both prevalent in our area (upstate New York) so we want to continue with something like this, but NexGard appears to cost a small fortune. Happy to pay it if it's worth it, but then there are a million competing options at varying prices. Is there any consensus on this?

If the pup can tolerate it, go with a topical like Advantix because it also repels as well as kills. With the edibles, the ticks and fleas need to bite to be killed so your dog can still end up having them crawl around on them and bring them inside.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turds in magma posted:

Be extremely vigilant if you use Advantix, as we did that for Apollo and it made his skin itch badly enough that he couldn't sleep for 12+ hours after application. The complaining is amusing at first as he'd act like he's wet and try to rub it off, but the funny factor drops exponentially as it...doesn't...stop..... :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Can someone recommend some puzzle toys that will keep an ACD mentally busy? Preferably ones that don't require shoving treats in them because he has put on a few pounds recently...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NexGard has been worth it for us just in terms of not having to apply a liquid to the dog or try to get her to swallow one of those horse pills.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Slow News Day posted:

Can someone recommend some puzzle toys that will keep an ACD mentally busy? Preferably ones that don't require shoving treats in them because he has put on a few pounds recently...

Are you feeding meals in toys? That will work his mind without adding extra calories. I like to put my dogs' meals in kongs or toppls with some no salt added broth and freeze it for some peace and quiet. I'll also do the kong wobbler or planet dog snoop if I forgot to freeze something. You can also just take a handful of his meal kibble and chuck it on the floor or on some grass and let him snuffle it out for a while, some people do a sprinkle of parmesan or tuna flakes to be a bit more enticing.

Honestly, my acd just likes to chase empty pop bottles around the house because they are loud when she crunches them and skitter well when she punches them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are you feeding meals in toys? That will work his mind without adding extra calories. I like to put my dogs' meals in kongs or toppls with some no salt added broth and freeze it for some peace and quiet. I'll also do the kong wobbler or planet dog snoop if I forgot to freeze something. You can also just take a handful of his meal kibble and chuck it on the floor or on some grass and let him snuffle it out for a while, some people do a sprinkle of parmesan or tuna flakes to be a bit more enticing.

Honestly, my acd just likes to chase empty pop bottles around the house because they are loud when she crunches them and skitter well when she punches them.

Hmm, feeding meals in toys I've tried, but he just ends up destroying the toy to get to the meal. Even kongs don't last. He just chews off tiny pieces of rubber from the opening until it's large enough to make the thing useless.

Chucking his meal on grass is a good idea. He'll probably be pretty confused but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slow News Day posted:

Hmm, feeding meals in toys I've tried, but he just ends up destroying the toy to get to the meal. Even kongs don't last. He just chews off tiny pieces of rubber from the opening until it's large enough to make the thing useless.

Chucking his meal on grass is a good idea. He'll probably be pretty confused but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I used to use a large Kong "wobbler" toy to feed my dog. They're hard plastic and I think the design makes it harder for a dog to really bring their teeth to bear on it, though I wouldn't put anything past an ACD.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh my God this seven month old border collie never runs out of energy why did I adopt the world's most hyper dog.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Kirios posted:

Oh my God this seven month old border collie never runs out of energy why did I adopt the world's most hyper dog.

Is taking it to a dog park an option? I’ve been bringing my very high energy GSP puppy to the dog park in the mornings before things get too crazy and that has helped take the edge off of his energy levels.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is taking it to a dog park an option? I’ve been bringing my very high energy GSP puppy to the dog park in the mornings before things get too crazy and that has helped take the edge off of his energy levels.

Speaking of parks... the ACD I'm fostering doesn't always play well with other dogs (especially small ones... he thinks they're food!) so dog parks haven't been an option.

A thought occurred to me the other day though. There's a wide open green field half a block from my house. I've been wondering whether I can get one of those yard stakes with a really long metal cord attached, stick it in the center of the field and just play fetch like that. It would give him quite a long distance for running (way longer than my meager backyard) while eliminating the risk of him suddenly deciding to chase a cat or a squirrel or something.

The place looks like this:

The other option is a long, narrow grassy clearance that runs power lines from a nearby power station to the neighborhood:

The advantage of this space is that it doesn't get any foot traffic, so distractions would be minimal.

Thoughts/warnings/don't-do-its welcome. :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slow News Day posted:

https://www.amazon.com/DCSUIT-Training-Leash-Lead-Long/dp/B089D45Q9B/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=50-foot+Leash&qid=1617866307&sr=8-8
I used something like this when I was training recalls.
Initially I would just let it tail behind her as I could easily cut a corner and catch the leash, but she learned to keep the leash away from me, so I had to stick to holding onto the end :).
Other than that, it worked well.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Kirios posted:

welcome to my continuing thoughts about Sherlock, the Boston Terrier, whom I thought would be a chill dog before adoption.

nope.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

luscious posted:

welcome to my continuing thoughts about Sherlock, the Boston Terrier, whom I thought would be a chill dog before adoption.

nope.

I don't know much about Boston Terriers, but I would have guessed they're largely chill dudes who would be happy with like 30 minutes of exercise.

I wanna steal Sherlock because his coloring/patterns match my hound & terrier mix well. It was a happy little coincidence the latter matched the former, but now that I've got a "pair" I want a cute even smaller third dog to complete my Russian nesting doll dogs :haw:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Slow News Day posted:

Grass works but if you want to do a capitalism (or if you don’t have grass year round), the class of product here is called a snuffle mat

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.amazon.com/DCSUIT-Training-Leash-Lead-Long/dp/B089D45Q9B/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=50-foot+Leash&qid=1617866307&sr=8-8
Initially I would just let it tail behind her as I could easily cut a corner and catch the leash, but she learned to keep the leash away from me, so I had to stick to holding onto the end :).

Thanks! Do you think it would work well for fetch too? 50ft might be too short, so I might get two or three of those and daisy-chain them.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah I use a 50' nylon coated line for fetch at the beach. I let her just drag it but she also won't leave me if there is a toy around. I think more than 50' would be a pain for me to manage, I already have to be paying attention constantly to keep myself from getting clotheslined. Clip it to a harness, not a collar, or they could really hurt themselves hitting the end at top speed.

Kirios posted:

You will never physically wear out a herdy dog unless you are actually working them. Scout did water retrieves in some really choppy, cold water for an hour yesterday and was still ready to go when I was done. Work their brain, teach them to settle, give them appropriate ways to entertain themselves and then just try to get through it.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

You will never physically wear out a herdy dog unless you are actually working them. Scout did water retrieves in some really choppy, cold water for an hour yesterday and was still ready to go when I was done. Work their brain, teach them to settle, give them appropriate ways to entertain themselves and then just try to get through it.

Do you have any good resources on this that you can share?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hot drat am I glad that there’s enough of whatever big, lazy dog breed in Nova to make her a big, lazy puppy. She’s perfectly content with a mile walk in the morning, some patrolling of the backyard in the afternoon, and 20 minutes of KEEP AWAY CHASE OMG with the kids in the evening. Taking her to the dog park exhausts her for two days. I don’t think I could function with the energy requirements of some of y’all’s dogs!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Neither can we!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Do you have any good resources on this that you can share?

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

Try nosework games. Sniffing things wears them out more than running amok will in most cases and when they get good enough to search your whole apartment they're moving around and exercising themselves as well.

I learned "real" nosework where my dogs search for a specific scent through FDSA. If you get a scholarship, which is very easy to do, it only costs $35 but you can also just use the sample lecture and whatever scent/container you have to get started for free.

You can also just do treat or toy searching games
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/indoor-scent-games-for-dogs/

https://suzanneclothier.com/pdfs/Scent%20Games.pdf

https://www.puppyleaks.com/teach-your-dog-search/

If she likes tug you can use a flirt pole in your home to wear her out physically too. Easy enough to make at home from stuff you might have around.
https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/04/24/flirt-pole/

Be sure you are working on noticing and rewarding calm behavior in the house. It's not sustainable to just exercise your dog into a coma every day, you need to teach them to chill the gently caress out sometimes. Look up the protocol for relaxation or the really real relaxation protocol for things you can work on to teach your dog that being still is an option.

If she doesn't get wildly excited about treats you can quietly give her something boring like kibble whenever she is choosing to be on a bed or laying down. I wouldn't wake her up to do so and if she gets amped for food you can just tell her she's a good girl in a soothing, calm way instead.

Here's a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1olzgidMw

If she doesn't offer laying down on a bed or in her crate ever then you need to build some value for it first. "Go to your place" and "go to your crate" are one of the first things I teach new dogs.

Here's some "go to your mat" videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2c5EkytNU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yne2oR0lUCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM0LeSBjxA

Crate training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRs5cWOWfiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwQY332xhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4nTwVSmpV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4K_lNLw83k

Edit: another one on calmness, guess why I have so many videos on calmness in my youtube history :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaojPmzris0

I hate teaching stay. Someone come teach my puppy stay for me and I'll keep teaching her to walk backwards up the stairs.

For chews bully sticks are always popular, I stick them in a west paws qwizl so they last a little longer. Ordering from someplace like chewy or bestbullysticks will get you thicker, longer-lasting bully sticks than what you'll find at a petstore unless you really go digging in those bins. Beef or buffalo cheek rolls are supposed to be a good rawhide alternative. My dogs are crazy for sheep or buffalo horns. Some like antlers, beef butcher bones and those himilayan chews but I'm paranoid about dental fractures so I don't give anything that hard. My older dog got a slab fracture on a beef bone after years of being fine with them and it was a huge, expensive pain in the rear end. I've heard some people like benebones as an alternative to nylabones?

I keep a whole stash of stuffable toys in my freezer basically all the time. I have 2 nylabone hooves, 2 kong tires, 4 kongs of different sizes, 2 toppls of different sizes, and a turkey shaped kong alternative from barkbox. It's very handy to be able to just grab something from the freezer and throw it at whichever dog is annoying me at the time. I fill them with whatever is cheap that week; applesauce, plain non-fat yogurt, clearance wet dog food, salmon cream cheese, peanut butter, frozen meatballs, weird ground meats people have given me as part of trades (this may only be an option if you live in the country), spray cheez, etc. My dogs are all dumpsters and maintain weight well so I'm not that concerned but you can soak their regular kibble ration and stuff it as well, or some low calorie broth thickened with gelatin if you are concerned about tummy issues or weight gain.

My freezer any given day

Basically I do two training sessions a day (at least one is nosework, she's progressed to outdoor searches now), do a puzzle toy or chew, do meals in toys, have rewarded choosing to be calm extensively, and let her run amok regularly to take the edge off. When it's warm enough I try to get her to the beach to swim at least weekly and I'll often take her on errands with me just to hang out in the car and people watch. Sometimes I'll just toss a handful of kibble into my cardboard recycling bin and let her go hog wild shredding everything. Just mix things up and keep their brains busy and out of trouble!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I love you for this. I’ve been doing some of these things, but feel like I’ll have many more tools in my toolbox after a deeper dive into those resources.

Edit: In approximately two months we have progressed from every moment being an absolute frenzy to a decent amount of settling and even some crate acceptance.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I love you for this. I’ve been doing some of these things, but feel like I’ll have many more tools in my toolbox after a deeper dive into those resources.

Edit: In approximately two months we have progressed from every moment being an absolute frenzy to a decent amount of settling and even some crate acceptance.

That's great! My puppy is a year now and the witching hour madness has mostly stopped. She will occasionally still try to grab stuff off the bookshelf repeatedly or get the zoomies but it isn't every night anymore. It really does get better with time, patience and training.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Speaking of parks... the ACD I'm fostering doesn't always play well with other dogs (especially small ones... he thinks they're food!) so dog parks haven't been an option.

A thought occurred to me the other day though. There's a wide open green field half a block from my house. I've been wondering whether I can get one of those yard stakes with a really long metal cord attached, stick it in the center of the field and just play fetch like that. It would give him quite a long distance for running (way longer than my meager backyard) while eliminating the risk of him suddenly deciding to chase a cat or a squirrel or something.

The other option is a long, narrow grassy clearance that runs power lines from a nearby power station to the neighborhood:

The advantage of this space is that it doesn't get any foot traffic, so distractions would be minimal.

I'd stay away from metal cords since they can cut up the dog if they wrap on the legs or body. You can get a screw in stake and make your own leash though. I went with the nylon rope used for climbing and a couple of carbineers that can rotate. I mostly use the long leash to let her run up big snow banks and swim at public lakes, where I need to maintain some kind of control. I'd also recommend a harness that lets the force get distributed across the entire chest when the limit is hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

I tried this, and it didn't work out very well. After a few rounds, he dropped the ball and started to whine. I think he lost interest and wanted to go home or something. Very weird.