Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

BobHoward posted:

when suspdish worked for endless, endless was still working on that blob shaped cheap appliance computer, which appears to be mostly memoryholed on their website

the whole thing seems to be a replay of the OLPC grift. nerds who read too much stephenson are all like: "poors need computers too. we charity grifters will deliver special poor-people computers to them. this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!"

as much as i have an legitimate affinity for weirdly shaped blobputers, i have the cynical belief that stuff like olpc and endless probably get vc funding for the sole reason of pre-seeding the next generation of h1b candidates/walking tax credits

basically the "learn to code" meme but on an international level

also lol at the deeply patronizing belief that poor people in developing countries are too backwards for regular computers and need special ones with big jelly bean lookin buttons and stuff, rather than like. access to clean water and food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BobHoward posted:

this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This California Man is Giving Computers to Poor Africans and the Globalist Elites Are FURIOUS

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Voodoo Cafe posted:

basically the "learn to code" meme but on an international level

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

This California Man is Giving Computers to Poor Africans and the Globalist Elites Are FURIOUS

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

in other news, hans de goede just revived your old logitech wireless keyboard

https://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/24732.html

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like how every one of these dumb os’ assume that the user has never used a computer before

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

there's already a great solution for 'super-cheap but low-powered computers for educational use in developing countries' and that's the raspberry pi

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fritz posted:

there's already a great solution for 'super-cheap but low-powered computers for educational use in developing countries' and that's the raspberry pi

have you tried using it as a desktop because the performance of that is a bit lacking

though I don't know how it stacks up against olpc and similar efforts

plus there's the ruggedness issue, along with a lack of screen and keyboard

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fritz posted:

on the one hand yes, such a great little thing for the tinkering self-expression kind of computing. for preparing a workforce you kind of need windows and office and such in practice though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on the one hand yes, such a great little thing for the tinkering self-expression kind of computing. for preparing a workforce you kind of need windows and office and such in practice though.

This is Microsoft propaganda

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

xtal posted:

even if i am wrong it aligns with what the intended users believe. which by an large is all that matters.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This may be a Wendy's but I didn't order a double down

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Private Speech posted:

have you tried using it as a desktop because the performance of that is a bit lacking

though I don't know how it stacks up against olpc and similar efforts

plus there's the ruggedness issue, along with a lack of screen and keyboard

I use a raspberry pi 4 running Ubuntu sometimes and it’s fine, certainly way better in internet browsing than the pentium mmx I grew up with relative to that online era.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

xtal posted:

unless their self-esteem is so unbelievably low that they aspire to be a windows janitor, the only thing most people need to know about whatever os they are dealing with is how to open whatever applications they need to do their job

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 6, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

unless their self-esteem is so unbelievably low that they aspire to be a windows janitor, the only thing most people need to know about whatever os they are dealing with is how to open whatever applications they need to do their job

even in 2021 children are not born with the ability to e.g. use word if they have never seen it before in their life. and microsofts hold on day-to-day office computer use is pretty strong almost everywhere in the world.

the belief that you can just push linux on the desktop onto kids in poor countries and it'll all be great is an idea built mostly on prejudices. if anything it is an experiment far more suitable for e.g. america where there is more room (both economical and in time) to actually experiment.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Posting on my favorite blogging site, somethingawful.com, that my Manjaro install has nuked itself out of nowhere.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Posting on my favorite blogging site, somethingawful.com, that my Manjaro install has nuked itself out of nowhere.

how did you manage to kill a manjaro? :dadjoke:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

google says a manjaro is an arch linux and honestly what did you expect with a knock-off of a hobby distribution made by children?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

google says a manjaro is an arch linux and honestly what did you expect with a knock-off of a hobby distribution made by children?

While Arch could be used by children it's a bit of a stretch to say it's made by them

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

xtal posted:

While Arch could be used by children it's a bit of a stretch to say it's made by them

does it make you feel better to clarify that to manchildren

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's made by people who wanted Gentoo, but not really Gentoo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i had to go back to arch because fedora breaks too often, debian is too old, and ubuntu is, well, ubuntu. i have pop! os running on one machine but i barely use it. what linux do you use?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Currently trying out Fedora 34 on bare metal because why the hell not. And this Gnome implementation is a pretty big improvement over the last Gnome based WM I tried. Very snappy. I have 32gigs of memory so even if it does use a bit extra memory it doesn't really affect me at all. I do like how Gnome 40 handles the virtual desktop UI implementation over KDE. I also really didn't need the gazzilion of settings available on Plasma. Honestly I'm pretty happy with the default Gnome UI with a couple of tweaks,
1: Adding back an icon tray
2: Adding the maximize/minimize buttons to the top of the application window.

My one WINE application doesn't seem to be seeing the sound devices though. That may be due to Pipewire now being fully implemented in Fedora 40. I'll have to look into that further.
H.264/5 playback seems to be broken when using a video player that's installed through a flatpak. I assume this is due to the sandboxing.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yeah with 32 gigs of ram gnome should only need to swap out every minute or two

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ineed flatpak for my bunghole

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

i had to go back to arch because fedora breaks too often, debian is too old, and ubuntu is, well, ubuntu. i have pop! os running on one machine but i barely use it. what linux do you use?

Lmao

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i use debian stable + fluxbox on my desktop and laptop. its always worked and the oldness doesnt really bother me

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

proxmox host, debian VM’s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

confession: i installed ubuntu 20.whatever lts out of boredom on my "gaming rig" a couple months ago on an ssd i had laying around, just to see how things are going for linux on the desktop.

things did seem to work pretty well and i was surprised that the best drivers for my gtx 1070 were installed automatically. i was even able to use the web version of apple music just fine. sound worked.

havent booted into it in a few weeks because it only has a couple games and.. well yeah i may nuke it to reclaim the space but it almost works. biggest issue was when i scaled my 4k display differently than the other display and that screwed up full screen mode on apps.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Sassafras posted:

The First 20 Million Is Always The Hardest". Apparently there's a movie too

The movie isn't really about computers for poor people or linux. It's about an "ideas guy" who has the unique and ingenious "idea" to make the fastest personal computer ever. Also it's the smallest. And the the most beautiful. (His art-student girlfriend sculpts it out of clay.) And it has a 3D holographic projector. And a 3D holographic touch interface. Oh and it also only costs $100.

The ideas guy doesn't have any ideas about how to make any of these things work. Instead, he has the idea: "Wouldn't it be cool if we made a computer like that? Why hasn't anyone else thought of this? ".

It's ridiculous and laughable, but somehow I find the movie truly endearing and I like it a lot. It would fit a double feature with "Electric Dreams".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Captain Pike posted:

The movie isn't really about computers for poor people or linux. It's about an "ideas guy" who has the unique and ingenious "idea" to make the fastest personal computer ever. Also it's the smallest. And the the most beautiful. (His art-student girlfriend sculpts it out of clay.) And it has a 3D holographic projector. And a 3D holographic touch interface. Oh and it also only costs $100.

The ideas guy doesn't have any ideas about how to make any of these things work. Instead, he has the idea: "Wouldn't it be cool if we made a computer like that? Why hasn't anyone else thought of this? ".

It's ridiculous and laughable, but somehow I find the movie truly endearing and I like it a lot. It would fit a double feature with "Electric Dreams".

ah the computer equivalent of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvbQMqd0kEY

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Captain Pike posted:

i mean they already made the first season of halt and catch fire

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

i used debian forever but just switched a few months back to fedora and it’s fine but dnf is slow af. i also disabled selinux

i guess i’ll go to rhel sometime now that you can get those free 16 licenses or whatever

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my first linux was a red hat and my next (last????) one will be too. imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

proxmox host, debian VM’s

proxmox so good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

i also disabled selinux

lmaoooo why would you admit this?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my seedbox is not an enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
though it is needs suiting and what i use at home; honestly the most offputting thing about fedora is the name

evoking the worst m'lady-esque elements of the linux community is not a good naming convention. as if i wasn't already bringing enough shame to my family by publicly admitting to using a linux