Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
try a different measuring tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
got a recommendation?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As an aside, the Dunia engine looks pretty loving amazing for how well it runs on dated hardware.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

As an aside, the Dunia engine looks pretty loving amazing for how well it runs on dated hardware.

dunia engine really runs like trash compared to how little is actually going on in the game - there's rarely more than two or three vehicles, usually only about 5 NPCs (basically never more than about 10), and no destructible terrain/dynamic lighting. and it still manages to consume like 6 cores worth of CPU.

it's basically the same amount of CPU utilization as battlefield V except that game has 64 players shooting projectiles and destroying terrain and driving vehicles around. I still don't think that highly of Frostbite but it's doing far far more than Dunia in roughly the same performance envelope.

fc5 and new dawn are certainly fun but optimized they are not

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 6, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an ubisoft game looking good but with extremely poor optimization. Who could have guessed
Shuffle is over, stock is hitting normal newegg inventory now. Mostly the same items as in the shuffle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They haven't even sent me my loser email yet! owned

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

They haven't even sent me my loser email yet! owned

It very well could go for another 2 hours. I hope they are on time next shuffle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
got mine at 9:30 or so

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Resizable BARs sound like loving hogwash to me.
Modern PCI BARs are 64bit, why would you need to resize them?

EDIT: Oh, it's because every GPU but 3000-series is using 32bit BARs, for compatibility?
Hardware was a mistake.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 6, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Driving in to work this morning and saw at least two dozen cars camped out in front of the Dallas Micro Center. It's bad, y'all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hasturtium posted:

Driving in to work this morning and saw at least two dozen cars camped out in front of the Dallas Micro Center. It's bad, y'all.
I think Dallas had a bi.g Nerd War

Manager said no line until 6am, dweebs camped anyway.
Guys started a Rules Line at 6am counter to the Scalper Line.

Manager came out and said that Scalp Line was fake. Guy in front of Scalpline starts open carrying and complaining.

Cops are called. Manager comes out and tells Rules Line to pound sand because he doesn't want to deal with angry gun scalper.

Then Manager says 3rd line by door for some reason so it was a complete clusterfuck.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The GPU wars started small.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

FilthyImp posted:

Manager came out and said that Scalp Line was fake. Guy in front of Scalpline starts open carrying and complaining.

Cops are called. Manager comes out and tells Rules Line to pound sand because he doesn't want to deal with angry gun scalper.

Then Manager says 3rd line by door for some reason so it was a complete clusterfuck.

This is one of the most dystopian things I've ever read. What the actual gently caress.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I really don't understand why Microcenter hasn't just taken signups and done a lottery or waitlist. It can't be more hassle than dealing with that stuff on a daily basis.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

FilthyImp posted:

Imagine being the minimum wage workers who have to deal with this poo poo everyday, especially when some of them start to bring their open carry guns and LARP as tough guys and enforcers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nybble posted:

I really don't understand why Microcenter hasn't just taken signups and done a lottery or waitlist. It can't be more hassle than dealing with that stuff on a daily basis.
It's more work than is necessary for "put cards out watch nerds tear themselves apart to get a Zotac 3060"

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

All of this make me feel better paying 1200$Cnd (around 950$us today) instead of the normal 900$Cnd for a RTX 3070 a couple months ago. I still regret that I couldn't get a 3080 which I really wanted this time around (rocking x70 for the past decade+) and that the pre tariff MSRP price for the 3080 I wanted was 1200$Cnd. Especially since waiting a few months for the situation to normalize turned into a poo poo show and it's worse than it ever was now and we're in April. Experts don't seem to expect stuff to improve anytime soon... But the situation right now and a check on Ebay for my Evga card starting now at 1800$Cnd is making me feel a bit less bad...

I paid too much for the 3070 so I don't think I'll be able to justify upgrading to a 3080 when stock normalize and we have the 3080TI or whatever.

It looks like the MSRP are also getting higher and higher so the 3080 doesn't look like in my price budget anymore even if cards were everywhere.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
jesus christ the launch Canadian price was 900 CAD? oh huh i just looked it up and it's not as bad as i thought, that's not much more than the 479 GBP it launched here, man the canadian dollar must be in the toilet

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I decided to peruse Craigslist and local RTX card prices here in NYC are actually MORE expensive than on Ebay...

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

CoolCab posted:

jesus christ the launch Canadian price was 900 CAD? oh huh i just looked it up and it's not as bad as i thought, that's not much more than the 479 GBP it launched here, man the canadian dollar must be in the toilet

Yeah. Well some 3070 could have been in the 800-900$Cnd back then but my card is the EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra and my plan before launch was for EVGA 3080 FTW3 (the non ultra).

And yes, the $Cnd dollars is at 0.80$ vs the $US right now and it seems to have been a couple years since it was last "this high". I don't know if salaries relate directly but even at MSRP the 3000 series was expensive in $Cnd. The 3070 was like 200-300$Cnd more expensive than my 1070 I bought for 599.99$Cnd in 2016.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The microcenter in MA shares a small parking lot with a Trader Joes :cawg: They already need a cop just to direct the people to their low priced Wine and Meats.

It is pretty close to my new job though, maybe I'll start collecting money to stand in line.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Collateral posted:

The GPU wars started small.

Gigabyte PSU, AMD CPU
Best Buy botting, Microcenter piss bag
Newegg Shuffle, Cuda Wars, I can't take this anymore
We didn't start the fire

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bus hustler posted:

The microcenter in MA shares a small parking lot with a Trader Joes :cawg:

... mother of god

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Gigabyte PSU, AMD CPU
Best Buy botting, Microcenter piss bag
Newegg Shuffle, Cuda Wars, I can't take this anymore
We didn't start the fire

:coolfish:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

as much as I complain about Newegg I'm just going to keep signing up for a card from them every other day because that's a zero effort no hassle way of standing in line for 6 hours

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
don't forget the starbucks in the same lot. also to add to the complexity it fronts on to a very major multi lane surface artery (Memorial Drive), which during the summer is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays. good times.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new shuffle items are up but you cant pick any yet. Looks like another late shuffle today. Wait nm i refreshed and there is 20m left until selection gogogo

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 6, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

mA posted:

Imagine being the minimum wage workers who have to deal with this poo poo everyday, especially when some of them start to bring their open carry guns and LARP as tough guys and enforcers.

The most insane thing is that their website won't even let you slam down cash and reserve a card for pickup - they just indicate they have some number in stock and tell you to come into the store to get it. Like, what the gently caress, gang? The market's too hot for anybody to reserve something and fail to pick it up, so what's the reasoning?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

new shuffle items are up but you cant pick any yet. Looks like another late shuffle today. Wait nm i refreshed and there is 20m left until selection gogogo

weird, im still seeing 1:57 as of 11AM pst

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

weird, im still seeing 1:57 as of 11AM pst

its up now
https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle?%20shuffle%20=%20force
refresh until you get it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ohhhhh that's selection time

Me dumb

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I feel like Newegg should stop you from entering the shuffles if you've won recently

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

change my name posted:

I feel like Newegg should stop you from entering the shuffles if you've won recently

as someone who hasa never one I agree

as an American HOW DARE-

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

lol of course there's idiots defending this open carry dude in the discord and got turbomad when i said it's dumb as poo poo

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

change my name posted:

Its easier to make sure no one wins ever and if you do win its something you dont want. They are doing a good job so far

You might be missing the point of the shuffle. Its not to fairly distribute GPUs, its a way to dump their overstocked motherboards and psus on people

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 6, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

The most insane thing is that their website won't even let you slam down cash and reserve a card for pickup - they just indicate they have some number in stock and tell you to come into the store to get it. Like, what the gently caress, gang? The market's too hot for anybody to reserve something and fail to pick it up, so what's the reasoning?

I'm not sure either, but I'm guessing that it's just less work for them to not even use a reservation system and just say that it's first come, first serve.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It annoys me that Corsair has managed to gently caress up every attempt to follow up on the 540. The 740 was horrible and huge for no reason (I mean, if there aren't any 5.25" slots, why is it BIGGER), and the 680X has that "too much glass, not enough airflow" thing against it.

I want more horizontally-orientable cases to choose from. :mad:

At risk of derailing the thread, can some of the glass be removed on the 680X and replaced with dust catcher material or something? I like the 540, but could use a more updated front I/O panel for it

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

The Gadfly posted:

I'm not sure either, but I'm guessing that it's just less work for them to not even use a reservation system and just say that it's first come, first serve.

But they have a reservation system in place - I think it touts that you can reserve goods online, hold the item(s) with a credit card, and then they use some curiously specific window of time like 18 minutes before it's ready for pickup. But they refuse to allow you to use it for certain items, presumably in hopes that your desperate, acquisition-fixated brain will see all the great stuff they have en route to the hardware and gobble that up too. gently caress it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah, I think you're right. People who are there for a couple minutes to pick something up probably buy less stuff than people spending hours at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This corn cob is apparently so bad it can remain purchasable on Newegg for 2(!) days straight: https://www.newegg.com/corn-electronics-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti/p/1FT-0040-00080