Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

musics not even worth stealing

this, but I pay Spotify $15/month to not own anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
couple more Banks things to read:
2014 interview
http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/articles/a-few-questions-about-the-culture-an-interview-with-iain-banks/

2021 essay
https://bloodknife.com/culture-war-iain-m-banks-jeff-bezos/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
spotify sucks poo poo if you’re gonna pay for music at least do it on those days where bandcamp doesn’t take a cut or something

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
bandcamp doesnt even take that much when its a regular day. bandcamp fridays is ending soon but its still my preferred platform. plus there’s a lot of poo poo i just cant get on spotify so its really an all around bad platform.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t know about your relationship to music, but I literally just put on a playlist that I think I’d like and then forget about it

gently caress knowing about bands and poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nerds

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

The Fool posted:

I don’t know about your relationship to music, but I literally just put on a playlist that I think I’d like and then forget about it

you can do this without spotify they didn’t invent the radio lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I get like 4 radio stations and they’re not great

I’ve been on Spotify since launch and they do a better job at building curated playlists than any other service I’ve tried.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I use Apple Music because it’s cheaper and I’ve never gone to look for a song and have it not on there. ymmv

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

I use Apple Music because it’s cheaper and I’ve never gone to look for a song and have it not on there. ymmv

the curated playlists are garbage

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

get some god drat preferences and stop letting Big Music tell you what to listen to hth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t rely on others to choose what music I’d like to listen to

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ll consume media however I goddam please

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://youtu.be/K2hoWYkF9VI

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

music is like my 3rd biggest monthly expense behind my mortgage and alcohol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple music is missing a bunch of will oldham stuff, which is annoying. so i just buy his poo poo separately. works for me

ms jones likes apple and i think it's Just Fine, so no plans to switch over to spotify. and big lols at listening to anything ad-supported when i can...not do that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i like apple music and would probably sub to them or something if we didn’t get music with the youtube subscription

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i used to use apple music because the sync works well and being able to add your own stuff is great. i moved to a subsonic server because i wanted something I could stream from on just a web browser for my work desktop, but still have carplay support (there's an app that works for it).

it's funny though, looking at my history, there's stuff I uploaded to my apple music that's been stored by apple longer than google music even existed.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
my friends all have spotify and i like looking at what they're listening to sometimes as a gateway to other stuff. the limited social features are actually useful for me!

i also really like the year end wrapup where they put all my listening into little pie charts i fuckin love it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a subsonic server

hmmmmmmmmmmm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

my friends all have spotify and i like looking at what they're listening to sometimes as a gateway to other stuff. the limited social features are actually useful for me!

i also really like the year end wrapup where they put all my listening into little pie charts i fuckin love it.

when i had spotify years ago my favourite feature was looking at charts from other countries

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Fool posted:

I get like 4 radio stations and they’re not great

I’ve been on Spotify since launch and they do a better job at building curated playlists than any other service I’ve tried.

same, out of most I've tried, Spotify has remarkably pretty-on-point Discovery Weekly / Release Radar / show similar songs and pretty good playlist curation. way way better than Pandora and other poo poo. I do wish there was actual better filtering/other tags I could see though.

plus if you split a Family account it's only $2.5 per month which is very affordable, I end up sharing 3 seats with other goons and 2 other seats with friends/family.

ngl their podcast poo poo and way they're trying to worm into the ~podcast industry~ is really garbage though so i don't blame people like 290 for cancelling

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

spotify paid joe rogan 100 million dollars

don't give them more money

apple continues to somehow be the least unethical of all tech companies, apple music > spotify

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lament.cfg posted:

spotify paid joe rogan 100 million dollars

don't give them more money

apple continues to somehow be the least unethical of all tech companies, apple music > spotify

on top of this while i'm not opposed to a podcast wanting to make money (joe rogan aside) i don't like companies bundling them into paywalled music services tbh, it's like creating audio cable stations and i'm sure as poo poo never going to subscribe to a music service just for their podcasts

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spotify isn’t even close to being the first company to try to do exclusive podcasts that’s a weird thing to be mad at them about

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

prime music is trash, but if you have prime already why not

it’ll cover 65% of what you want

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We're pretty close with two of our neighbors so we have a bunch of streaming services with family plans but split them 3 ways so the cost is pretty reasonable.

One of them spends the winter out of state and we just discovered that YT TV locks you out after 3 months out of your home area.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

Spotify isn’t even close to being the first company to try to do exclusive podcasts that’s a weird thing to be mad at them about

yeah like sirius owns most of the satellite and internet radio and you don't hear anyone trying to cancel them over backing the money truck up to howard stern's door

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah like sirius owns most of the satellite and internet radio and you don't hear anyone trying to cancel them over backing the money truck up to howard stern's door

stern had an actual radio show for which any podcast was secondary. spotify is going after established popular podcast IP and looking to make subscription content with it. i'm not a big fan of any of the traditional radio personalities because outside of some of the bbc shows they were typically crude humour or super boring or ragingly conservative.

i'd rather be able to pay small time producers directly through subs or merch than have to decide ok i have music through this service, do i need to cancel and do this service to also get this spoken content, etc? i don't think this is a controversial feeling, to be frank.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i used to use apple music because the sync works well and being able to add your own stuff is great. i moved to a subsonic server because i wanted something I could stream from on just a web browser for my work desktop, but still have carplay support (there's an app that works for it).

it's funny though, looking at my history, there's stuff I uploaded to my apple music that's been stored by apple longer than google music even existed.
it might not have existed when you made the switch but apple music has a webapp

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

it might not have existed when you made the switch but apple music has a webapp

it didn't, and i saw it recently, but didn't really dig into it too much. at work we have linux desktops and so i couldnt listen to anything and it was a pain. although, this was like, a year ago, before the lockdown.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mediaphage posted:

on top of this while i'm not opposed to a podcast wanting to make money (joe rogan aside) i don't like companies bundling them into paywalled music services tbh, it's like creating audio cable stations and i'm sure as poo poo never going to subscribe to a music service just for their podcasts

i get super pissed when podcasts even have ads in them. if you want money set up a loving patreon and let people who aren't me fund you. gently caress you for stopping to talk about squarespace for five minutes in the middle of every show

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
cum town does the only good ad reads because they completely disrespect them and gently caress them up and frequently lose them as a result

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

internet comment etiquette is the only thing with ads in it that I don't skip

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

which one is cum town again

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I skip every ad on GP but the main podcasts I subscribe to are Patreon only and don’t have ads so it isn’t really a problem. of the ones that don’t, one is an ESPN podcast and they stick to a strict 30/60 second read and Endless Honeymoon puts bedding music under their ads so those are extremely easy to skip

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the only sponsor I respect is American Tin whistles

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

hbag posted:

which one is cum town again

ur mom's house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

i get super pissed when podcasts even have ads in them. if you want money set up a loving patreon and let people who aren't me fund you. gently caress you for stopping to talk about squarespace for five minutes in the middle of every show

i don’t mind ads because they’re pretty easily skippable unless both hands are busy, though it is absolutely variable how annoying they are. some do a good job and others are heinously bad at it

i don’t get super pissed at anything wrt podcasts tho, merely somewhat annoyed or disappointed