Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

sloppy portmanteau posted:

And why is this free? I'm sure everyone who would be interested in this already owns X3:AP. Do they expect to get some X4 sales out of this in some roundabout way?

Because it's a mod and developers don't usually allow you to charge for mods for their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So the hilariously timed new X3 expansion (3 weeks after X4's expansion what) got me thinking and I realized I still have no loving clue what's going on in the plot. Got the kind of insane idea to run through all the games in order starting with X3. Granted, I know the plot is basically a collection of janky side-quests that are bugged to some degree, but still.

Is there a mod that ports X3:Reunion's campaign to a later version? I'd like to play through it, but Reunion is just a miserable experience in terms of UI and QoL features after playing the later entries.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
AP had a cost with it, that was at least mostly lifted from the Terran mod before it, including most of the ship models.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

I’m deeply curious what they’ve done in this new pack. If they managed to port over some of the RTS elements of X4 map control I’ll have a hard time deciding which to play.

This is truly bizarre. I wonder if the team just has a deep fondness for X3’s engine. This was also a deft time to release it.

It seems to have been made by volunteers.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds interesting. Do we know what mod it was based on?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
DLC for X3 :psyduck:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fruits of the sea posted:

So the hilariously timed new X3 expansion (3 weeks after X4's expansion what) got me thinking and I realized I still have no loving clue what's going on in the plot. Got the kind of insane idea to run through all the games in order starting with X3. Granted, I know the plot is basically a collection of janky side-quests that are bugged to some degree, but still.

Is there a mod that ports X3:Reunion's campaign to a later version? I'd like to play through it, but Reunion is just a miserable experience in terms of UI and QoL features after playing the later entries.

Unfortunately no; though if you do go with X3:R I recommend using the mod I posted a few pages earlier.

Also you might end up even more confused about what's going than before, since the X3 plot expects you to know what happened in X and X2. IMO it's worth giving it a go of playing all the games in order, even X:BtF is fairly playable and it should only take maybe 30-40 hours to run through the first two games (including x-tension, which is essentially the second half of X:BtF). In particular X:BtF can be easily finished in less than 10 hours even on a first playthrough, and it's a great introduction to the universe. At least playing the intro can be very helpful in that respect.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 6, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Unfortunately no; though if you do go with X3:R I recommend using the mod I posted a few pages earlier.

Also you might end up even more confused about what's going than before, since the X3 plot expects you to know what happened in X and X2. IMO it's worth giving it a go of playing all the games in order, even X:BtF is fairly playable and it should only take maybe 30-40 hours to run through the first two games (including x-tension, which is essentially the second half of X:BtF). In particular X:BtF can be easily finished in less than 10 hours even on a first playthrough, and it's a great introduction to the universe. At least playing the intro can be very helpful in that respect.

Yeah, I tried using the X-Tended mod back when I first played X3:R. It added some cool poo poo but something messed up and all AI traffic started disappearing and the economy crashed due to lack of traders.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to get like, blueprints for it, then? Being able to throw some around to help defend my stuff would be nice.
Like I said, once you get allied with the Yaki, which is achievable through a Terran quest-line - the one that starts out with you repairing some satellites with Haile.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, I tried using the X-Tended mod back when I first played X3:R. It added some cool poo poo but something messed up and all AI traffic started disappearing and the economy crashed due to lack of traders.

That's, uhh, odd. Was it the latest version (0.7.5)? I've played something like 200 hours of it at one point and never did run into that issue, but I have nothing to offer besides that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty sure it was 7.5. After a lot of googling and old forum posts, I did find some other folks with the same issue. There was some speculation that it had something to do with a sector that wasn’t fully implemented in the last version of the mod- ships would spawn or jump there and never leave. Or maybe I had some obscure mod conflict. Hard to tell when a bunch of the fan sites are dead and half of those remaining are in German.

I never did find the hell sector if it even existed, but I’m sure it would have been quite a sight :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a chart somewhere of like, the production chain for various resources? if i wanted to make, say, Advanced Electronics or claytronics or something, is there a simple resource I can look up to see what to obtain blueprints for first? Or am I stuck looking at the in-game encyclopedia and working backwards?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of these? Pick whichever you find most readable really.

https://www.google.com/search?q=x4+...iw=1440&bih=704

I would still say though that what you go for probably depends more on what you already have and where you're set up. The big money, for the most part, is in producing stuff using stuff you produced using stuff you produced using stuff you mined. Basically each production step, if you get the inputs cheap enough, produces products that you have then "bought" for less than their minimum price, and if you then go on to produce another thing with those products you are getting an even bigger jump in value.

So if you start with a simple miner, you can move on to refined metal, refined metal can be processed into hull parts, hull parts can be a component of weapon and turret components etc. Also each processing step uses energy and you can make your own energy for free too, so that's yet more value you're adding to the products. If you combine workforce bonuses this also compounds the more vertically integrated your production is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 7, 2021

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I use station calculator: http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-calculator

Click the module you want, like claytronics, and then click the "autofill" button. Immensely useful.

But be aware when putting on habitats and autofilling, as it will default the medical supplies to argon version no matter what you pick. If you add some split parlors, make sure to replace the argon medical supplies with split medical, that way you're not placing more modules than you actually need since there's some overlap.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 7, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should steal computronic substrate blueprints holy poo poo that's a money maker

Also apparently add a silicon wafer module to my Claytronics factory, I guess

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I finally downloaded the X Encyclopedia since I found out I don't have to have the Superbox to get it. Wow there's a lot of backstory and lore in there. I'm only part way through it but drat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say is there a way to get notifications like "one of your ships just got destroyed" while looking at the map? i don't think i'd have noticed my ship (that i assigned to helping keep the MIN shipyard stocked in an attempt to get more rep) getting crunched the by the xenon capitals if i wasn't out of the map screen watching the ship i was trying to board.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Zereth posted:

Say is there a way to get notifications like "one of your ships just got destroyed" while looking at the map? i don't think i'd have noticed my ship (that i assigned to helping keep the MIN shipyard stocked in an attempt to get more rep) getting crunched the by the xenon capitals if i wasn't out of the map screen watching the ship i was trying to board.

You can set up an audio alert I believe.

:edit: I'm not at home so I can't check, but I think its under Global orders.

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 7, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Godrealm cops keep dinging one of my courier ships for illegal wares. All it has is Graphene though; it doesn't have anything to offload either, so it's literally just that. Is there something else on it that could be pissing them off?

A SCA Phoenix blew up another trader, so now I have a Phoenix guarding the trade route :smug:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 7, 2021

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The Godrealm cops keep dinging one of my courier ships for illegal wares. All it has is Graphene though; it doesn't have anything to offload either, so it's literally just that. Is there something else on it that could be pissing them off?

A SCA Phoenix blew up another trader, so now I have a Phoenix guarding the trade route :smug:

Check their inventory wares

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slickdrac posted:

Check their inventory wares

I did, according to the game they don't have anything there either

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the nice things about nopileos fortune is I can drop a station in the southern sector and tell it to just obliterate any SCA ships it sees.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

One of the nice things about nopileos fortune is I can drop a station in the southern sector and tell it to just obliterate any SCA ships it sees.

I also learned just yesterday that you have to manually put the turrets onto the defense platforms so my "defense station" was just watching this destroyer annihilate traffic lol

This is also how I learned that the entire galaxy is devoid of turret components

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there any reason for a ship to use the Terran L Bolt turrets? I was bored at work and playing around with the ship comparison tool on Roguey and the L Plasma turrets seem generally better.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

RBA Starblade posted:

I also learned just yesterday that you have to manually put the turrets onto the defense platforms so my "defense station" was just watching this destroyer annihilate traffic lol

This is also how I learned that the entire galaxy is devoid of turret components

I learned that the hard way too. When building defense stations, what I usually do now, is to place the first defense module, right click and edit it to add all the desired guns and shields, then copy that module over and and over again as needed for the rest of the structure. That way you don't have to equip each individual module later.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh yeah they don't come with guns by default lol.

Also yeah if you can get your hands on the blueprints for a bunch of the final products it's a good idea to set up a station that makes them and then just stockpile a couple thousand for your own use.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I don't suppose there is any way to tell a station to keep a reserve of its end product and sell off the excess, is there? Guess I should set up a warehouse.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't suppose there is any way to tell a station to keep a reserve of its end product and sell off the excess, is there? Guess I should set up a warehouse.

You can manually set the sell limit for any ware to say "keep this amount"

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Oh sweet that's awesome thanks. Finally I can reserve some hull parts to expand my hull part factory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's what I do, set the sell limit at a few thousand (depends how much you're planning to build) and then you can manually transfer them when you need to.

Slight downside is that your auto pricing will still work off total storage, so if you tell it to keep half the storage it will never sell at maximum scarcity prices, so you might be missing out on some profit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol my miners are going to be busy for a while getting the raw materials for the computronics. Between that, my destroyer patrolling/policing, and my other factories making 10mil an hour now (!) I just need to play the waiting game to...get the blueprints...to print dozens of ships...twice...

:negative:

Time to see what's up with the Yaki lol

e: I'm almost positive the destroyer I capped was the one that's been haranguing things since the start of the game too; I replaced them with lasers but the turrets were empty missile launchers lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The terran economy consumes an absolutely gigantic amount of raw resources in exchange for operating on a comparatively tiny production chain yeah.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've got a sufficiently strong fleet to wipe out Xenon stations in a few minutes, but somehow Scale Pact Green I just refuses to not be contested, and Xenons keep building new bases the minute I destroy the old ones.

Is the game cheating, or am I doing something wrong?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a xenon station sitting somewhere in the distance locking it down?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The crew transfer interface seems so half baked in a worse than typical egosoft style. Like why is it only a quarter of the screen? Why do the lists start collapsed? Why can't I sort by skill and role like I can the crew menu of a ship? Why am I limited to service crew or marine?

Having to remember names like Yoohozthya Theringh VII, and then find them in the collapsible sections that only take up a tiny portion of my screen, so I can transfer my 3 star pilots to L mining ships from M ones is, well, it's a way to spend 15 minutes for sure.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Travic posted:

Is there any reason for a ship to use the Terran L Bolt turrets? I was bored at work and playing around with the ship comparison tool on Roguey and the L Plasma turrets seem generally better.

Ostensibly because they fire a quick burst of projectiles they're more consistent at scoring hits on smaller ships than L pulse turrets, but in practice I suspect they're not good enough at it anyway to justify their use. Most of the time you want plasma in your L turrets because everything else is mediocre. Beams hit small targets reliably but the damage is truly terrible.

On a tangential note, this is part of why the novelty of using the Syn as a personal destroyer wears off quickly. 8 L turrets and 3 of the really good Terran main guns is neat and all, but a measly 4 M turrets means your anti-fighter capability sucks. The Rattlesnake has a much better balance of firepower and is far faster and easier to maneuver past obstacles.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The crew transfer interface seems so half baked in a worse than typical egosoft style. Like why is it only a quarter of the screen? Why do the lists start collapsed? Why can't I sort by skill and role like I can the crew menu of a ship? Why am I limited to service crew or marine?

Having to remember names like Yoohozthya Theringh VII, and then find them in the collapsible sections that only take up a tiny portion of my screen, so I can transfer my 3 star pilots to L mining ships from M ones is, well, it's a way to spend 15 minutes for sure.

There is a crew management screen under player info. It should be the one under global accounts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just got my first ever wharf, but I'm not sure how to get people to buy from it. It is nice to be able to poo poo out a giant pile of fighters for free though.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Got a question on station trade restrictions. If I have my station producing hull parts and it's set to only sell excess to my own property, would the station trader only transport the ware to my own stations if they're set to no-restrictions?

Basically, I want to keep some wares transported within my property, while also selling off other wares elsewhere. All on the same station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Also, holy poo poo, I'm slowly realizing how easy it is to pirate. Capturing huge freighters left and right in neutral space from basically everybody. As long as you can still dock with a faction, you might as well be their abusive husband.

Was +19 with TEL, captured one of their builder-ships. Now +17. Lol

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 8, 2021