Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What about non-cotton underwear? I’m trying to ditch cotton completely this year for all but lounging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

What about non-cotton underwear? I’m trying to ditch cotton completely this year for all but lounging.

Patagonia Essential is soft like cotton. ExOfficio makes good ones with a more synthetic feel. A lot of people like Uniqlo's, but they can't handle my muscular thighs.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

Ex officio give n go boxer briefs are the undisputed gold standard. Well, maybe someone will dispute it, but it’s like Darn tough socks- they’re impossible to hate even if they are on the pricier side.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've used ExOfficio, First Lite merino and Saxx underwear for lots of outdoor activities and my vote goes to Saxx or ExOfficio. Saxx might edge out ahead a little bit on comfort, but jury's still out on durability over ExOfficio. Merino has lots of advantages but durability is not one of them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I'm an exoffico guy, and like others have posted there are a couple other competing brands that are as high of quality. I'm a bigger dude, and chafing is a very real risk while on long trips. Exoffico has made that worry a thing of the past, so I'm a lifer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ex officio give n go. Just dont put them in the dryer, or take them out very quickly. They will lose their soft to the touch feel if they are dried too long. For synthetics, they manage to not stink like all the other synthetic stuff Ive worn. I dont know how they do it. It is also comfortable in a way that most synthetics arent.

I will point to Costco again. Their 32º underwear are nice as well. They're a bit thinner than exofficio but they perform pretty well and I havent noticed any issues with them. Plus they're cheap, usually a two or three pack for less than $10. Also keep an eye out at Costco because last year they had a three pack of Ex Officio give n go boxer briefs for $11!. I bought 3 packs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just get Champion brand at Target. Cheap, polyester and spandex, maybe something else in there. Literally all of my underwear is that now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I went to reserve some sites on Pictured Rocks and Reservation.gov is already booked up tight. Backcountry permits available but any drivable campsite within the area are completely booked. Was debating an Isle Royale trip but I think it's going to be a circus this summer. Maybe I'll just go to Canada with the canoe.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yooper posted:

I went to reserve some sites on Pictured Rocks and Reservation.gov is already booked up tight. Backcountry permits available but any drivable campsite within the area are completely booked. Was debating an Isle Royale trip but I think it's going to be a circus this summer. Maybe I'll just go to Canada with the canoe.

Check Potato Patch over by miner's rock. Its technically backcountry but it is only like a 1/4 mile uphill from the parking lot, as long as you are not bringing a huge rear end tent i imagine it will function like a drive in easily enough.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Check Potato Patch over by miner's rock. Its technically backcountry but it is only like a 1/4 mile uphill from the parking lot, as long as you are not bringing a huge rear end tent i imagine it will function like a drive in easily enough.

That's a decent option, I was hoping for Twelvemile and some beach frontage... Potato Patch is still decently close to Miners Beach so that might work.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yooper posted:

That's a decent option, I was hoping for Twelvemile and some beach frontage... Potato Patch is still decently close to Miners Beach so that might work.

Ah yeah that's an issue, its certainly not beachfront. Hurricane River is a great drive in site but I'm assuming that was included in the booked out sites you mentioned. I've also been to kingston lake which is a pretty site with a ~7 mile round trip trail to the lake.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ah yeah that's an issue, its certainly not beachfront. Hurricane River is a great drive in site but I'm assuming that was included in the booked out sites you mentioned. I've also been to kingston lake which is a pretty site with a ~7 mile round trip trail to the lake.

I'll have to look at Kingston. I drove into it years ago but never camped there. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think any national park is going to be rough going as long as parties and movie theaters are forbidden. If you want to get out you're gonna have to find spots that don't show up in google searches (and even then there will be more people than is traditional, but it should at least be a manageable number of people).

It's good that people want to enjoy nature more, but the subtext to me is that we haven't dedicated enough land to nature preserves.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

xzzy posted:

I think any national park is going to be rough going as long as parties and movie theaters are forbidden. If you want to get out you're gonna have to find spots that don't show up in google searches (and even then there will be more people than is traditional, but it should at least be a manageable number of people).

It's good that people want to enjoy nature more, but the subtext to me is that we haven't dedicated enough land to nature preserves.

Last summer I went to Zion to hike the narrows on a Friday, and it was smooth riding into the park (I always camp ~45 miles away on the BLM land) but there were people everywhere. Saturday I made the mistake of thinking that I could route through the park to catch the scenery on the way to the other side. The line of cars was about an hour just to get in.

On the same trip I went up through arches National park, and the moab camping was fine, even though there were a bunch of people around, it was nothing like Zion.

Just anecdotal, of course. I think not being able to visit Canada drive a lot of people into parks that wouldn’t have been their first choice, but the park employees I talked to all told me that even without foreign national tourists, the numbers were higher in 2020 than they were in 2019.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Canyonlands was pretty empty when I was there in Oct/Nov. We even had Chesler Park to ourselves one night.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

xzzy posted:

Yes to an extent. The trick is really to find the less famous ones. All places are busier, but honestly every park system has underused parks that still aren't seeing the density of people that famous parks get in a regular year (NPS isn't exempt, but your state park system is the same). These tend to be smaller, have fewer amenities, don't get magazine articles about them, but are excellent places to see nature. But people go where they know-and those are places families have gone for generations.

You can also look for less popular camping/hiking areas even in famous parks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Zion is relatively small and in the top three most visited national parks. Definitely avoid it during the busy season.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Someone fell off Angels Landing again a couple weeks ago.

Zion is having a real crisis of popularity. They already ban cars in the busy season, will probably make it year round soon and would be surprised if they don’t go to a lottery system in a few years.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Ontario is absolutely crazy this year. Every smaller park I have checked has been straight booked as far out as the reservation system allows (5 months), including some pretty obscure ones that were always a given for availability.

Funny enough, I usually look to those parks for high season when Algonquin is too busy for my tastes, yet I was able to book in Algonquin. Targetted the most remote access points and lakes that require significant travel. There's 8 portages between me and my first campsite and I still had to get a bit creative with dates and my route get on the lakes I wanted.

Feel like there's gonna be a lot of noobs suffering through bug season and biting off more than they can chew when it comes to distance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Someone fell off Angels Landing again a couple weeks ago.

Zion is having a real crisis of popularity. They already ban cars in the busy season, will probably make it year round soon and would be surprised if they don’t go to a lottery system in a few years.

Yeah they need to be able to fully ban cars instead of only cutting off the top half of the canyon but the issue is accessing hwy 9 which is the scenic route to Bryce (and an amazing drive at that). Angel's Landing is way too crowded for how dangerous it is because the bus doesn't make many stops and the two most popular stops are AL and The Temple/Narrows, so 90% of the park visitors crowd those two spots. The only way to relieve the crowding would be to put a tight cap on attendance or make new trails and bus routes. AL should also require a permit year round which would make it safer and more enjoyable for all.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Math You posted:

Ontario is absolutely crazy this year. Every smaller park I have checked has been straight booked as far out as the reservation system allows (5 months), including some pretty obscure ones that were always a given for availability.

Funny enough, I usually look to those parks for high season when Algonquin is too busy for my tastes, yet I was able to book in Algonquin. Targetted the most remote access points and lakes that require significant travel. There's 8 portages between me and my first campsite and I still had to get a bit creative with dates and my route get on the lakes I wanted.

Feel like there's gonna be a lot of noobs suffering through bug season and biting off more than they can chew when it comes to distance.

I don't know how the parks near you are doing it, but at the park I work at, we are seeing way higher numbers of reservations, so things constantly are looking busy online (and yes, some weird dates are totally booked in terms of reservation availability) but I'm getting fewer walk-ins even when we do have lots of sites available. So, we've had an uptick in numbers, which is normal for us, but really the bigger change seems to be the shift towards more reservations.

Of course, if these are reservation only parks, that is pretty nuts for non holiday/special event times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah they need to be able to fully ban cars instead of only cutting off the top half of the canyon but the issue is accessing hwy 9 which is the scenic route to Bryce (and an amazing drive at that). Angel's Landing is way too crowded for how dangerous it is because the bus doesn't make many stops and the two most popular stops are AL and The Temple/Narrows, so 90% of the park visitors crowd those two spots. The only way to relieve the crowding would be to put a tight cap on attendance or make new trails and bus routes. AL should also require a permit year round which would make it safer and more enjoyable for all.

They could crack open Parunuweap Canyon, double the capacity! :v:

Someday I'm gonna hike the poo poo out of Zion washes in the fall, that place turns into double plus magic once the trees change color.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

They could crack open Parunuweap Canyon, double the capacity! :v:

Someday I'm gonna hike the poo poo out of Zion washes in the fall, that place turns into double plus magic once the trees change color.

Did a November Zion trip right before COVID, it was beautiful

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

looking for recommendations on mountainous hikes in Oregon,

no limits on difficulty though preferably full day, scenic, and not crowded (the latter makes me lean toward avoiding the Portland area at all costs?) edit: just to refine this even further, the southern half of Oregon is a plus

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 26, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had my heart set on the Whitewater Creek tail to get to Jefferson Park for the 2017 eclipse, but the place burnt up and was closed off. I have no idea how much around the trail actually burned so am not sure what the scenery is like but Jefferson Park should be really nice. The PCT cuts through there too so there's multiple ways to get in if you want to add miles, say by starting at Brietenbush.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 26, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Is the ex officio stuff "tight" or "form fitting (but thin ish)"? I've seen the hiking buddy doing some shuffling and pulling at times, so it seems like things ride up. As a dude, it likewise needs to be tight to prevent rolling or riding, but actually anatomically correct so it doesn't feel like you're wearing a flat sheet metal codpiece.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I would call the ones I have form fitting. They're cut a little short, but after getting used to that I find em super comfortable and don't have any issues with the leg rolling up or getting into the butt crack.

It's def not as tight as trying to get into compression shorts or anything

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I had some adidas boxer briefs I thought were pretty great until I picked up a set of Calvin Klein ones that are nice and tight on the thighs but have a dick and balls pouch.. now my standard for comfort has shifted and I won't wear anything else. Bet my sperm counts are up too.

I guess I should thank saxx for this? Any other brands incorporate the ol' ball pouch into their designs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Is the ex officio stuff "tight" or "form fitting (but thin ish)"? I've seen the hiking buddy doing some shuffling and pulling at times, so it seems like things ride up. As a dude, it likewise needs to be tight to prevent rolling or riding, but actually anatomically correct so it doesn't feel like you're wearing a flat sheet metal codpiece.

They fit pretty well and don’t bunch up for me unless I run, then they shoot up and cause issues. For just walking/hiking wear they’re great.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ex Officios are OK but I have really come to prefer the non cotton boxers from Duluth Trading Co. They seem to fit my flat butt much better and are usually a whole lot cheaper when they are on sale. They've held up really well for me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Math You posted:

username @ gmail if you're down to meet internet strangers near you :downs:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I probably asked this before but does anyone know of any backpacking areas in SE to central Wisconsin? I still have never been backpacking before and I can't find any places where I can just set up camp wherever. I'd be alone (:() so I could only do a loop or there-and-back. I can't seem to find any information anywhere. Just the extreme Northern WI which is a 6 hour drive. I mean I guess if that's it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I probably asked this before but does anyone know of any backpacking areas in SE to central Wisconsin? I still have never been backpacking before and I can't find any places where I can just set up camp wherever. I'd be alone (:() so I could only do a loop or there-and-back. I can't seem to find any information anywhere. Just the extreme Northern WI which is a 6 hour drive. I mean I guess if that's it.

Pick a section of the Ice Age Trail for an out and back. There's a lot of gorgeous hiking along it. Dispersed camping is kind of a mess along the trail though, as it's a mix of city/county/state/federal land and everyone has different rules about camping.

Kettle Moraine is in your area iirc and there's quite a few backpack shelters and sites along the Ice Age Trail portions.

How far are you willing to drive and how long of a hike are you looking for? A lot of the state parks have walk back/backpack sites. It's usually a couple miles at most if you go point to point, but as a first backpacking trip, that's a good shake down test of your gear.

Buckhorn has a couple that are like a mile and a half back, but you can take some networked trails to make it longer as well.

Every summer I try to do Newport State Park up in Door County, and all their sites are backpack only. Early or late in the season, getting something like site 12 is a really nice 2ish mile hike back to a water front site. It's nothing grueling, but there's plenty of trails in the area if you wanna add miles.

----

Speaking of backpacking, I'm currently planning out a long weekend trip in the Chequamegon National Forest up north. There's a 15ish mile loop that winds between a handful of lakes, and that seems like a good first trip of the year. I am not looking forward to digging out all my gear out of storage though. :negative:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 29, 2021

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

looking for recommendations on mountainous hikes in Oregon,

no limits on difficulty though preferably full day, scenic, and not crowded (the latter makes me lean toward avoiding the Portland area at all costs?) edit: just to refine this even further, the southern half of Oregon is a plus

The Skylakes Wilderness area between Crater Lake and McLoughlin hardly ever has a soul on it when I go, but that’s late Sept-Oct. Obviously the lake and mountain will be busiest, but Devils Peak and the lakes around it are very nice.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
the prana zogger pants are pretty drat close to perfect...if it wasn’t for the little pockets that are a pick-pocket’s dream. my phone and wallet, along with any change, like to slip out whenever I sit down. And the space between the two buttons on the cargo pocket is just enough for my iphone 11 to slip through.

Might just take these to a tailor to have zippers installed.

Was surprised how few hiking and climbing pants came standard with zipper pockets when I was poking around REI yesterday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I keep using my marmot scree pants. My prana ones are more comfy and better designed overall but zipper pockets own on a hike.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have the same issue with my Prana Zions.

My car has bucket seats and my phone/wallet just slide right out of those things. Awesome pants otherwise.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

That's why I keep using my marmot scree pants. My prana ones are more comfy and better designed overall but zipper pockets own on a hike.

The cargo pockets on the Zions have zippers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea but sitting down with poo poo in the cargo pockets feels weird. At least in my opinion it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive had pretty good luck with some of the pants at Duluth Trading Company. I picked up some nylon/spandex cargo pants last year, and they're great. A bit warmer than I'd like for full blast summer heat, but any other time they do well.