Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Landmine Warfare sounds interesting since its modern and aaaah pretty sure its against the Geneva conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience with China Law Translate? Is it considered pretty accurate? Badempanada cited it extensively in his new video on Xinjiang and I wanted to double check. Translation is always the bugbear when it comes to poo poo like this.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Bad Empanada did a video on Xinjiang and I thought it was pretty thoughtful and well researched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9ICFDk8Js

can't comment on the content but jfc if you're going to stare dead-eyed into a camera and monotonously read from a prepared script for 80 loving minutes, just write a goddamn article instead. :psyduck:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

80 minute video, starts talking about Zenz at 70 minutes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm still listening but if I can offer one criticism in advance it's that he's arguing against the most infantile, CPC-loyalist version of what he imagines the anti-genocide narrative to be. Like no poo poo we all know that China is engaged in a heavy handed crackdown on terrorism. That's not the debate that's being had right now in the west lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Comrade Koba posted:

can't comment on the content but jfc if you're going to stare dead-eyed into a camera and monotonously read from a prepared script for 80 loving minutes, just write a goddamn article instead. :psyduck:

Newspaper is dead. Every reporter has to do his own audible/podcast/youtube.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

too bad that 95% of them don't know how poo poo about how to use their medium of choice and have vocal delivery skills that make the average weather report seem like a fascinating narrative masterpiece in comparison

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
U.S. considering joining boycott of 2022 Beijing Olympics, State Department says

I wonder how many countries the US needs to join in to actually do a boycott. I assume they'll drop the idea if say only the UK and Australia join in.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is fairly ironic that the PRC joined the US' boycott in 1980.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

the CPC setting up their own antipope would be pretty rad

They already have their own lama, so

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sure by 2022 the USA will be so overrun with covid china would ban americans anyway

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regardless of the boycott Winter Olympic is not real Olympic.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Newspapers are pricier and journalist websites are behind paywalls while Falun Gong throws Epoch Times papers for free like pamphlets for a new restaurant

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does the US make a big deal out of other "oppression of minority" issue to other country? outside of the Urghurs and the Rohingya?

I mentioned it earlier, both the Urghurs and Rohingya can be explained from the "anti-land based new alternate trade route" angle. Xinjiang is major trunk road of the Eurasia trade route and the Rohingya/Rakhine state is the end point of a potential BRI land route, which will become a much more important route if the US ever block Chinese trade from the Malaika strait. It is interesting when you think about it, US has push this "anti BRI" agenda for multiple administrations and its the only thing ressemble a modern day "Grand Strategy", a secret Grand Strategy.

I never thought about this, does US really sanction other countries on oppression of the ethnic minority? I know nobody from the US has said anything about Modi cracked down on the Kashmir Muslims, and I don't remember anything about the Myanmar military on the Karen minority. Has the US ever sanctioned Russia for the Chechens? Ethiopia on the Tigrayans?

look at population of donbass and crimea lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

donbass sounds like a pokemon

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

LittleBlackCloud posted:

look at population of donbass and crimea lol

banning languages is actually good when its russian

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

unless the screenings are randomized after the audience is already seated I can’t imagine this will get more people to sit through the propaganda films

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I'm still listening but if I can offer one criticism in advance it's that he's arguing against the most infantile, CPC-loyalist version of what he imagines the anti-genocide narrative to be. Like no poo poo we all know that China is engaged in a heavy handed crackdown on terrorism. That's not the debate that's being had right now in the west lol

there's a portion of the Western "left" more concerned with describing things in other countries in a way that they believe is accurate but can still appeal to liberals. It's more about reaffirming their identity as leftists than explaining a situation or trying to make an impact in a struggle.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I've got some fundamental disagreements with Adrian Zenz and the Uyghur American Association, but at least they have goals beyond building their online brand.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

unless the screenings are randomized after the audience is already seated I can’t imagine this will get more people to sit through the propaganda films

Probably will basically force the theaters to operate extra screens of these films in the morning, and offer free screenings to local schools.

I have heard of probably all of the patriotic films in the list, never watched any one of them. I grew up on Stephen chow and Andy Lau movies.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Last few seconds of the dashcam of the Taiwanese narrow gauge rail that hit the construction truck, you can clearly see the front train jumped off track and hit the tunnel wall. It probably would have a lot less casualty if this didn't happen between 2 tunnels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhYeS7TN5KY

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Myanmar_Now_Eng/status/1379435219497807874

https://twitter.com/Myanmar_Now_Eng/status/1379421902352093190

https://twitter.com/ucanindia/status/1379222587067224074

(India is also forcing refugees back)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

What are you talking about that's the only kind of video content I consume

:staredog:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

at least matt christman mixes it up by pounding white claws, speaking extemporaneously, and yelling at a chatroom he doesnt understand

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This 7nm GPU out of China is said to rival AMD and Nvidia's finest

China will solve the GPU shortages

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

China will solve the GPU shortages

quote:

Tianshu Zhixin doesn't explicitly reveal the foundry that's responsible for producing the BI. However, the description of the node coincides with one of TSMC's manufacturing processes.

The BI is touted as China's first domestic GPGPU that's tailored towards AI and HPC applications and other industries, such as education, medicine, and security.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

In china to get a film into commercial theaters you need a 龍標, which looks like this

Which is at times, and especially now, very annoying to get. It precludes a lot of stories from making it to wide release (you can usually still show films without the dragon mark at private screening or film festivals/competitions, or stream them online). There's one or two producers in China where if they let you put their name in your credits you'll have a much better chance to get approved, so these people are basically essential to network with and suck up to. If you fail to get it you basically have to cut and reshoot scenes for the appeasement of what's now called the national film administration.

Anyway this dumb dragon stamp basically destroys indie film in China because you can make a great film, not get a 龍標, and be totally hosed, the only way to recoup money is to sell your oversea rights and you're reduced to streaming websites within china. And if you make an explicitly LGBT or crime film or whatever you're also hosed even though there's no official rule against it, lots of topics are basically banned de facto. When people start to undertake a project they basically have to decide if it's for Chinese market or overseas market at the get go.

If you wonder why Chinese films aren't very good anymore I think it's at least 50% this dragon mark's fault

i also think its money. in the late 80s/early 90s i doubt any mainland chinese films at all were made with the intention of earning the big bucks

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Apr 7, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

could you make a movie about the New York City mafia and get a wide release, or is any crime at all banned?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

yeah the issue is semiconductor availability, and starting up a new plant, especially one tooled to make poo poo like 5nm and 7nm, is so insanely expensive to build and run that I can't imagine people actually bothering to do it, even if it's a national security issue. China is a very soft maybe because they can theoretically force companies in China to use their own fabs, but...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh the issue isn’t about raw fabrication, but the lithiographic machines needed to do tracing. They are still working on their 7nm process but it will still take time.

Basically, this is about squeezing them while the US still has an advantage.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Apr 7, 2021

THS
Sep 15, 2017

china catching up on semiconductors is just a matter of time, probably shorter than people think. im sure they have all the technical info they need (they’ve stolen the IP, im sure, and rightfully so, IP is fake). at this point it’s just practical experience. same with the more advanced jet engines china is behind on. give it 10 years. it’s basically just those two things i think that they significantly lag on

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/MuradGazdiev/status/1379325276119793672

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont think war is gonna happen but I do think it would be incredibly cool if it did

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

could you make a movie about the New York City mafia and get a wide release, or is any crime at all banned?

I think it's understood that you shouldn't glorify crime, have criminals as protagonists, or make the cops look incompetent. no bank heist movies, bad guys always get caught and go to jail or get killed escaping police, that kind of thing

you could do a movie like Se7en probably, bad guy kinda wins but is killed (even tho killing him is what makes him win (spoilers))

getting the dragon mark of approval is informal and somewhat random due to connections, money, taste, whatever. most people just don't risk it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

could you do a movie like Heat, or is that too glamorizing? the cops win in the end but the criminals are pretty darn cool

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah probably, like most censorship it can only sensor the text, not the subtext, which if you're cool and creative might even make your films more subversive to a keen eye

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Vasukhani posted:

In this, Soviet humorists and satirists were somewhat like democratic “comedians.” But unlike them, they didn’t work for the public.

the people's tribune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CmNkKZt-8w

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The RT article I linked before also blames the escalation in Donbas due to Ukranian revanchism and their lack of support for the Minsk Protocols.

I doubt this move comes as a surprise to anyone involved.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

Eh the issue isn’t about raw fabrication, but the lithiographic machines needed to do tracing. They are still working on their 7nm process but it will still take time.

Basically, this is about squeezing them while the US still has an advantage.

The US doesn't have the advantage, Taiwan has the advantage. And when it comes to poaching TSMC employees, China is not at a disadvantage against the US.

IMO people are playing up the importance of high end semiconductor production way too much. Only high end phones ($800 and up) use the newest generation of fabbing, everything else, China fabs can kind of make them, although at a higher cost. Also China doesn't need to catch up and beat TSMC on 3nm production, China just need to slow down TSMC's upgrade enough for the next 10-20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1379594675980398592?s=20