Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Fisher's reasoning, that none of the other characters have a catchphrase to say, and that adding one to just him uncomfortably situates his character, is pretty solid:

quote:

Fisher says he doesn't see the word in itself as an issue, but he thought it played differently in a live-action film than the animated series. And he thought of Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman's "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?"; Jimmie Walker's "Dy-no-mite!" As no one else in the film had a catchphrase, he says, "It seemed weird to have the only Black character say that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oh man, for as lovely as that situation sounds i can't help but laugh at Jeremy Irons saying his dialogue is "loving stupid"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol did Joss write a scene where someone accidentally falls into Wonder Woman's cleavage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

grieving for Gandalf posted:

lol did Joss write a scene where someone accidentally falls into Wonder Woman's cleavage

https://twitter.com/wordsandsense/status/1379486994921848834

He did that, and threatened to ruin Gal Gadot's career over it. IIRC eventually he got her body double for that shot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Infamously, yes.

I wonder how many more nails Joss Whedon's coffin needs at this point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He did that, and threatened to ruin Gal Gadot's career over it. IIRC eventually he got her stunt double for that shot.

Oh look, the movie that got Joss fired from the MCU.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

He did that, and threatened to ruin Gal Gadot's career over it. IIRC eventually he got her stunt double for that shot.

childish

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Oh man, for as lovely as that situation sounds i can't help but laugh at Jeremy Irons saying his dialogue is "loving stupid"

It's extremely funny.

Yes and forced it to be made using the magic of cg and body doubles.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I honestly dont know how we dont see some resignations stem from this. Its gone so far beyond just an insular issue with fans to a full-blown PR nightmare for WB.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like Joss has gotten to the point where literally the only thing he cares about is recreating stock anime sexualised pratfalls to the point of threatening to ruin lives over it.

been said that a lot about Firefly makes sense if you make the likely presumption he's a regular customer of expensive hookers and actually believes what they say to him.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The article does a good job of displaying the labyrinth that Fisher had to and continues to traverse.

This is my favorite bit:

quote:

After the studio put out the statement accusing him of not cooperating, what Fisher calls "the hit piece," he asked for another investigator. WarnerMedia agreed to bring in Forrest, who they told him had handled the investigation of ousted CEO Tsujihara. Fisher was initially optimistic but says he again turned wary when Forrest, who is white, led with the fact that she was an Obama appointee."

Here's a tweet of the reporter who wrote that article, lol:
https://twitter.com/kimmasters/status/1379427741179785216

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

He did that, and threatened to ruin Gal Gadot's career over it. IIRC eventually he got her body double for that shot.

Rumor (which is probably 100% true) says he threatened Gadot's stunt double rather than Gadot herself, which is honestly pathetic even by the standards of gross creepy directors.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like Joss has gotten to the point where literally the only thing he cares about is recreating stock anime sexualised pratfalls to the point of threatening to ruin lives over it.

been said that a lot about Firefly makes sense if you make the likely presumption he's a regular customer of expensive hookers and actually believes what they say to him.

He very clearly gets off on forcing women he's directing/writing to be hypersexualized male fantasy characters.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"I don't take notes from my actors" is such a stunningly bad personal stance for a director, and one that is born entirely from ego rather than misplaced advice/lessons.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jesus, this really rings true. Also that’s a loving cold rear end burn there, believing what hookers tell him lmao

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Neurolimal posted:

Rumor (which is probably 100% true) says he threatened Gadot's stunt double rather than Gadot herself, which is honestly pathetic even by the standards of gross creepy directors.

God. That's some serious "yell at the waitress" energy. Hope the stunt double can confirm.

I feel like some CW producer has been feeling a few pounds lighter every day recently, because the premise of a non-Joss reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is rapidly shifting from a liability to an asset. I'm amazed by media people's ability to incinerate a mountain of good will toward their work by being just that small and terrible as human beings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder if that ADR session with Gadot mentioned in the article was for the scene when Diana gets headbutted by Clark and Joss had Gal re-record her grunts/moan. It has to be that, right? Because lol.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
We know that Joss didn't just make lovely reshoots, but also took some of the worst takes from stuff Snyder shot. There's been some discussion on if the "Kal-El! No!" lines are different takes, but at the very least, Whedon removed context that makes the line less silly, or at least more comic book-y over the top silly. I think that combined with him removing the tea and gauntlet scene which have actually good acting from Gadot, I think he really did make good on his promise to try to make her look stupid.

And I know that's like not even the worst poo poo that Whedon did, but spiting your own movie is summtin.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
After this and watching Wonder Woman 2, I’m done with this poo poo unless it’s Snyder directing Fisher as Cyborg in a lead role.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xealot posted:

God. That's some serious "yell at the waitress" energy. Hope the stunt double can confirm.

I feel like some CW producer has been feeling a few pounds lighter every day recently, because the premise of a non-Joss reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is rapidly shifting from a liability to an asset. I'm amazed by media people's ability to incinerate a mountain of good will toward their work by being just that small and terrible as human beings.

I wonder how many reboots we're getting just to get away from extremely problematic creators and how many may end up recursive.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

teagone posted:

I wonder if that ADR session with Gadot mentioned in the article was for the scene when Diana gets headbutted by Clark and Joss had Gal re-record her grunts/moan. It has to be that, right? Because lol.

Oh no :gonk:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
All the stuff about "it's problematic to have an angry black guy in the movie" when Fisher himself was involved in developing the character is such beyond parody level bullshit. White people straight up said "we know better than POC what POC like"!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think it rocks that apparently the suits at WB look at Cyborg's popularity from the cartoon and think it's because he's a loud black guy, not because of any nuance

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I think it rocks that apparently the suits at WB look at Cyborg's popularity from the cartoon and think it's because he's a loud black guy, not because of any nuance
It's like if Christian Bale had to call people chum or Cavill had to say "Up, up, and away!" Or Tom Holland had to say, "My spider-sense is tingling!" It's disrespectful to both Cyborg and Fisher because it doesn't assume any possibility of dimensionality or different modes to the character. And it feels like there is an obvious reason for why THIS character gets less respect.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

"Joss had me recording those moans for over an hour while he sat alone in the recording booth"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I remember the Teen Titans episode that had Starfire dealing with prejudice/racism. Cyborg tells her he knows how she feels... because he's... part robot. Maybe it was a "protect our kids from racism" kinda thing, but I always saw it as a misstep.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

And I know that's like not even the worst poo poo that Whedon did, but spiting your own movie is summtin.

I feel like part of it might be that even in the Josstice cut, Snyder was still credited as director. I know casual moviegoers who aren't terminally online like us, who were confused at the Snyder Cut movement because they just assumed that Snyder had done the movie since his name was there. I have to imagine that gave a bit of cushioning to Whedon (especially given some of the stuff in these various stories about him seemingly enjoying destroying Snyder's work).

Actually, I'm curious - did Whedon ever make comments on Man of Steel or BvS or anything else Snyder has done before being tapped for Justice League? A quick Googling shows Whedon in 2014 saying he hadn't seen MoS yet but that he was going to watch it as homework for Age of Ultron (lol) but I wonder if he jumped on any of the typical Snyder takes beforehand.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KVeezy3 posted:

The article does a good job of displaying the labyrinth that Fisher had to and continues to traverse.

This is my favorite bit:

Here's a tweet of the reporter who wrote that article, lol:
https://twitter.com/kimmasters/status/1379427741179785216

One thing I love about this is that he's very perceptive and cuts through a lot of the bullshit that trips so many up. Oh this person used to work for Obama? What does that mean to me? Geoff Johns was married to an Asian woman? So what? How is it less stereotypical than an angry black man to have a servile Quasimodo who smiles 70% of the time he's on screen?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

After this and watching Wonder Woman 2, I’m done with this poo poo unless it’s Snyder directing Fisher as Cyborg in a lead role.

The jig was up with Shazam tbh, but The Suicide Squad just looks like whatever. More Disney + type stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta tell you if I had any capacity to help Ray Fisher I would do it. The man is a good actor, sharp as a tack, and has the heart of a lion.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He sacrificed his career to destroy Joss Whedon, in a way he's more of a Superman than Henry Cavill

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

multijoe posted:

He sacrificed his career to destroy Joss Whedon, in a way he's more of a Superman than Henry Cavill

Henry is a himbo anyways. Best just leave him be with his Warhammer figurine painting, WoW raids, and PC building sessions.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

That last one in the second image is something special

https://twitter.com/DCsMANJI/status/1379434196402274311?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bootleg Trunks posted:

That last one in the second image is something special

https://twitter.com/DCsMANJI/status/1379434196402274311?s=20

Of course he would talk like that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If I had to pick a single line of these leaks to be fake I'd honestly pick that last one, because it's "tell that to Zod's snapped neck" levels of awkward. On the other hand it totally sounds like Whedon.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

multijoe posted:

What makes it even more special is that Fisher is from a small town and has been on that 'starving artist' grind as an actor for over a decade, until he landed the Cyborg role.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Why was whedon allowed to make another show

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

AFAIK it was in production before Whedon got hardcore dragged, his name has been scrubbed from the project (I think?), and he has a solid record when it comes to television (and its a medium where his significant shortcomings as a director can be handwaved)

Then again being a creep has never stopped hollywood from giving assholes their careers back, so I doubt this is the last we see of him.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 6, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Because enablers exist.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bootleg Trunks posted:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Do you think Joss was extra mad when Jeremy Irons and Gal Gadot refused to shoot the scene he wrote where Alfred was hurrying with toast in his mouth and ran into Diana while rounding a corner, knocking her over and revealing her panties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

If I had to pick a single line of these leaks to be fake I'd honestly pick that last one, because it's "tell that to Zod's snapped neck" levels of awkward. On the other hand it totally sounds like Whedon.

I have a slightly hard time believing he was that enamoured with his own dialogue, that he'd threaten people's careers over it. But god knows what getting to make two Avengers movies will do to a guy's brain