Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't forget the starbucks in the same lot. also to add to the complexity it fronts on to a very major multi lane surface artery (Memorial Drive), which during the summer is closed to vehicle traffic on Sundays. good times.

Which is a very narrow road that people do 55 in :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

change my name posted:

This corn cob is apparently so bad it can remain purchasable on Newegg for 2(!) days straight: https://www.newegg.com/corn-electronics-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti/p/1FT-0040-00080

What the christ. Imagine someone telling you a year ago to invest in 750 Tis.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

change my name posted:

This corn cob is apparently so bad it can remain purchasable on Newegg for 2(!) days straight: https://www.newegg.com/corn-electronics-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti/p/1FT-0040-00080

"I'm not owned I'm not owned!"
said by corncob no one wanted to buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bus hustler posted:

im in this post and i dont care for it

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Sure is fun, knowing that an RX 5500XT was seen as unworthy at $220 last year and is now frequently going for three times as much.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This 7nm GPU out of China is said to rival AMD and Nvidia's finest

President Xi my oppressed people, gamers, yearn for freedom....

Seriously though this is very interesting. I didn't realize there were mainland Chinese manufacturers that had made it to the 7nm process. The card is naturally for AI and HPC instead of gaming.

Edit: I found a more indepth article on Tom's Hardware and it looks like it's on TSMC's 7nm node.

The GPU:

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 6, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if its news about china coming from china its 99.9999% total bullshit.
If they could prove it they would have.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
On the NewEgg shuffle, there were options for bundles, but for a few it looked like you could enter for just a card by itself. Do those ever pop or are those joke options? I'd rather avoid a garage mobo or psu if I can.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RVT posted:

On the NewEgg shuffle, there were options for bundles, but for a few it looked like you could enter for just a card by itself. Do those ever pop or are those joke options? I'd rather avoid a garage mobo or psu if I can.

I won a standalone 3070 yesterday

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Nomyth posted:

At risk of derailing the thread, can some of the glass be removed on the 680X and replaced with dust catcher material or something? I like the 540, but could use a more updated front I/O panel for it

But then you wouldn't see the gaming LEDs???

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bus hustler posted:

The microcenter in MA shares a small parking lot with a Trader Joes :cawg: They already need a cop just to direct the people to their low priced Wine and Meats.

It is pretty close to my new job though, maybe I'll start collecting money to stand in line.

otoh if you can get to that parking lot you can likely survive it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

The 750ti had godlike perf/watt. It can run Metal Gear Rising at 60fps, and as we all know, there hasn't been a better game since.

Statutory Ape posted:

otoh if you can get to that parking lot you can likely survive it

Trader Joe's is worthless until they bring back Pickle Popcorn. It's like their McRib.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Last night I thought about trying to snag another evga card on Amazon to try and do a step up but lol every single evga card they have is sold out (or third party sellers only). Every last evga card at any price is gone, except for some 8400GS with the 2 year warranty (not step up eligible).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paul MaudDib posted:

Last night I thought about trying to snag another evga card on Amazon to try and do a step up but lol every single evga card they have is sold out (or third party sellers only). Every last evga card at any price is gone, except for some 8400GS with the 2 year warranty (not step up eligible).

poo poo I tried to do this three months ago and couldn't find a single 2000 series card at msrp, poo poo was already bad back then.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i dont know why but i find it absolutely hilarious that manufacturers have naming themes like intel's various lakes and instead of the name of an actual island, tianshu just calls it 'big island'

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Nutt posted:

poo poo I tried to do this three months ago and couldn't find a single 2000 series card at msrp, poo poo was already bad back then.

are any of them still in production and does it have to be sold by amazon?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Fauxtool posted:

are any of them still in production and does it have to be sold by amazon?

https://www.evga.com/products/wheretobuy.aspx

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes that is a link to the EVGA listing on amazon.com.

Its a reasonable assumption that they want you to buy items sold by amazon. Does it say that 3rd party amazon sellers are not ok?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...ctronics&sr=1-1
Is this ok? probably not, but where does it say that?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Misunderstood, yes if its from Amazon it needs to be from Amazon itself.

Thought you meant "could it be from other retailers & also eligible for step up"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no worries, they should really spell it out in words. The approved retailers list having a link to a search for "EVGA" on amazon.com containing a great many items that do not comply is an error on their part.

Looks like we got another late shuffle. Normally by now the emails would have all gone out. Sure is fun waiting until 9pm pst to see if you didnt win. Dont step away from your phone for more than 2 hours or you may miss the email. Its a whole different flavor of stress than f5ing.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Even if you found one, getting in line right now might get you a card by this time next year if you're lucky. The 3080 Step-Up Queue is still on 9/21 and I bet the line is staggering. By the time October rolled around and morons like me realized that stock was going to be almost non-existent for a long rear end time and didn't have the time or patience for bots or the F5 game so we started buying 20xx series to Step-Up...well yeah that's when those cards started skyrocketing in price and eventually sold out everywhere. I'm in the Step with a 10/25 date and honestly feel I'll be incredibly lucky to get one by the end of summer or early fall. Good thing I'm only 2 hours away on a notify!

It honestly seems like the best bet is to be on the EVGA site the moment they go live with new SKUs and sign for notifies on those ASAP. If you're quick on the draw you might get an email within 6 months!

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 7, 2021

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

bus hustler posted:

God help you if you want to make a left turn there.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
With the Newegg Shuffle, I take it that if you aren't notified in the first couple of hours, you weren't selected.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My step-up 3080 has shipped :toot:

Got in line on 9/20 and it took until now to actually get the 3080 to ship if that gives people an idea of how long the line is.

I ended up ordering an EVGA 750W power supply because my 650W one makes me nervous due to the peak wattage on the FTW going >400W and that'd put me well over 650.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 7, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

axeil posted:

My step-up 3080 has shipped :toot:

I ended up ordering an EVGA 750W power supply because my 650W one makes me nervous due to the peak wattage on the FTW going >400W and that'd put me well over 650.

Nice—you probably got it under the original price too, yeah? Pre-tariff? I can’t remember the specific date this month where they start applying it to incomplete step-ups, but I think it’s coming up quick.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Nice—you probably got it under the original price too, yeah? Pre-tariff? I can’t remember the specific date this month where they start applying it to incomplete step-ups, but I think it’s coming up quick.

Yeah $800 I think was the price. They're upping it on 4/15.

I feel extremely lucky right now. I hope everyone else finds one for a not-insane-price soon.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

South posted:

With the Newegg Shuffle, I take it that if you aren't notified in the first couple of hours, you weren't selected.

no, you can be notified very late

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Biowarfare posted:

i dont know why but i find it absolutely hilarious that manufacturers have naming themes like intel's various lakes and instead of the name of an actual island, tianshu just calls it 'big island'

AMD previously had GPUs codenamed "Northern Islands" and "Southern Islands" (which were, strangely, completely different architectures with the former being TeraScale 3 and the latter GCN 1).

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

If I was about to give up trying to buy a gpu for a reasonable price, what should I look for on ebay?

I saw some 3060s for like 800 bucks 😬

I just built a new 5600x rig that has a GT710 that I pulled from my old rear end pc.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
If money is no object, an RTX 3090

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Kunabomber posted:

If money is no object, an RTX 3090

That's a bit too rich for me.

My entire new build cost about 1100 bucks.

I guess the most I'd want to spend is like 1000 dollars. That seems like a lot too.

Is a ~800 dollar 3060 the best "value" as far as performance for overpriced dollar?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in general the best "bang for the buck" cards are either 3080s or 3060Tis... but even those can be bad buys if the scalping margins are way too high

I would not spend 800 dollars for a 3060

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
The 3060 is a huge decrease in performance from the 3060 Ti, while the 3060 Ti is drat close to the 3070.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel I am the most qualified person to answer this, Buy a 6800 or 6800xt. They are some of the least scalped because they are poo poo at mining. The 6700xt is okay at mining but people havent fully caught on so its also ok priced. For some reason the powercolor and asrock ones are less desired and lower priced.. Asus and sapphire are expensive.

If you must buy new nvidia only the 3060 should be considered. Its the least marked up in terms of raw dollar amount. You might be paying only a $200 premium over msrp even when its $800. The least marked up % wise is the 3090.

If I were in your shoes I would try and find a used 1080ti locally for under $700

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 7, 2021

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Malaria posted:

That's a bit too rich for me.

My entire new build cost about 1100 bucks.

I guess the most I'd want to spend is like 1000 dollars. That seems like a lot too.

Is a ~800 dollar 3060 the best "value" as far as performance for overpriced dollar?

Aside from the other advice you've received, if you're okay with an older gen card to hold you over until prices get sane again, pay attention to SA Mart. This past week someone threw up a 1080ti for $350 and a few weeks ago I got a friend a 1060 for $220. Most GPUs that get posted there are well under current market value which is awesome.

Honestly, you could try posting a thread in there explaining your situation and seeing if anyone can help you out. Lots of people have an older GPU sitting around collecting dust. I was holding onto my old 980 for the Step-Up swap but that's not happening for a really long time so I eventually sold it to a friend a while back. You might get lucky!

IMO eBay is the last place you'll find a decent deal. Local is best and you might also get lucky on hardwareswap on Reddit.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 7, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
If you live near a Microcenter I would suggest the MC discord, they have a pretty self policing no scalping policy there and if you get to know people there's probably someone who will throw you a bone. Especially if you're willing to get an older one

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sadly the closest microcenter is almost 3 hours away from me.

I think I might try posting a thread in SA Mart.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
How bad are the wafer shortages on previous-gen nodes? You'd think they could start up 5xxx and 20x0 super production again and just print money at this point. The usual "it detracts from current sales" went out the window months ago.

Almost nothing except the raw silicon is compatible between process nodes and the only company that's going to tear down their current gen to build their next gen is intel's zombie 10nm.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Harik posted:

How bad are the wafer shortages on previous-gen nodes? You'd think they could start up 5xxx and 20x0 super production again and just print money at this point. The usual "it detracts from current sales" went out the window months ago.

Almost nothing except the raw silicon is compatible between process nodes and the only company that's going to tear down their current gen to build their next gen is intel's zombie 10nm.

The problem is that manufacturing capacity gets booked months, if not years in advance - not just for the main processor, but for all the components that go into a GPU (there was an article recently about how one of the biggest bottlenecks is actually the display driver chip, which costs a fraction of a penny per unit). Most of the tech world made the wrong bet at the start of the pandemic - that demand for computery stuff would probably go down. Added to this is that the plants themselves don't want to mess with their lines because for many components they can currently get near perfect yields and everything's running super efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Harik posted:

How bad are the wafer shortages on previous-gen nodes? You'd think they could start up 5xxx and 20x0 super production again and just print money at this point.

Nvidia did start up Turing production again but they're using the chips for their line of mining cards :v: