Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of old sodas, anyone remember Surge? It was all over the place for a while in the 90s, a lemon-lime drink that turned your tongue yellow, and then it just kind of vanished.

Surge was recently put back on the market for a limited time in a full run of sizes, 6, 12 packs, 2 liters, etc.

It's available, still, at many gas stations, usually as a 'tall boy' can around where the energy drinks are since it's got more caffeine than Mt. Dew, etc. (At least around here (Upper Midwest)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Coke did a promotion for the latest stranger things season a couple years ago to have a combo coke/new coke pack in their 80s branding. It is sickly sweet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

How is this a question? I feel like 90% of all people, at least, absolutely hate menthol cigarettes. I've only known a few people who smoke them out of the hundreds or thousands of people I've met in my life.

Guessing you live someplace really ethnically diverse like Vermont?

I mean most people don't like menthols because most people don't like cigarettes, but I'm not sure that's really the intent of the conversation

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Bloop posted:

Guessing you live someplace really ethnically diverse like Vermont?

I mean most people don't like menthols because most people don't like cigarettes, but I'm not sure that's really the intent of the conversation

Not really, I grew up in California. Yeah menthols are probably a bit more popular among black people, I've seen that to be seemingly true, but I've definitely heard a lot more people exclaim how much they dislike them than anything else :shrug: Even amongst smokers.

In any case, one thing I'm kind of proud of America for is how much the country has changed its relationship to tobacco over the years. Used to be probably one of the highest rates of smoking in the world but its changed quite a bit even in my lifetime and especially in the lifetime of my parents. I've been a smoker before, but not getting subjected to it in restaurants, bars or elsewhere (I remember people smoking in the drat post office in South America when I was there in the mid -2000s) is really nice.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
When I started smoking in my teens it was with menthol cigarettes. Cigarettes taste bad, so the flavouring helped. to develope that sweet sweet nicotine addiction

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of old sodas, anyone remember Surge? It was all over the place for a while in the 90s, a lemon-lime drink that turned your tongue yellow, and then it just kind of vanished.

Hahaha they literally put a surge promo vending machine in my high school and they were free for a week (limit one lol) and then a quarter after that. Everybody was running around on what is p much lovely bathtub crank for a month, fun poo poo lol. :v:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I was a heavy smoker in high school, and then I progressed to only smoking when drinking, but I drank a lot for a long time. Next thing you know 20 years fly by! It's a gross habit, and took way too long to quit.

Regarding soda-chat, I just remembered one of the few stories my dad has told me about his lovely childhood growing up on a central Illinois farm. My nutty farmer grandpa somehow got a deal on a shitload of honey. He wanted to make Root Beer, and decided to use the honey instead of sugar.
They bottled it up and left it in the cellar, but for whatever reason the honey made the concoction
extremely volatile. One day someone bumped in to the crates and it set off a chain reaction of exploding root beer bottles. I don't recall the specifics, but we're talking a lot of loving root beer here. I can only imagine how sticky that would be.

Glad I didn't grow up on a farm.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i really need to stop smoking

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
been talking to my stepmom recently, the subject of death seems to come up a lot. we're all getting older so you think about it more. long talks about all the various dead relatives. most of them died of lung cancer. everybody smoked back in the day and the lung cancer just cut a swathe through 'em.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

i really need to stop smoking

Same :smith::respek::smith:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

oof what a lovely post.

hahah loving hell.

This is pretty American:

Spanish died in ships on folds of our Coast! Old Glory!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That's a drat solid breakfast plate right there. Mmmmm

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Play posted:

In any case, one thing I'm kind of proud of America for is how much the country has changed its relationship to tobacco over the years. Used to be probably one of the highest rates of smoking in the world but its changed quite a bit even in my lifetime and especially in the lifetime of my parents.

I was curious about smoking rates so I googled it. While many places list it as a percentage of the population who smokes Wikipedia has it as cigarettes per capita, which is probably much easier to calculate correctly, and the numbers kinda blow my mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

The US is about in the middle of the pack at position 68, and an average of about 1000 cigarettes per year per person.

Andorra and Luxembourg easily take the top 2 positions with over 6300 cigarettes per year per person. That means the average person smokes more than 17 cigarettes a day. :aaaaa:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I've been dieting pretty seriously lately and right now I would destroy those plates

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
not pictured: two slices of well done toast cut perfectly in half on the side, just out of frame

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Revins posted:

not pictured: two slices of well done toast cut perfectly in half on the side, just out of frame

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fully enjoying going on yelp safaris today

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

:respek:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Tip posted:

I was curious about smoking rates so I googled it. While many places list it as a percentage of the population who smokes Wikipedia has it as cigarettes per capita, which is probably much easier to calculate correctly, and the numbers kinda blow my mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

The US is about in the middle of the pack at position 68, and an average of about 1000 cigarettes per year per person.

Andorra and Luxembourg easily take the top 2 positions with over 6300 cigarettes per year per person. That means the average person smokes more than 17 cigarettes a day. :aaaaa:

Did you miss this paragraph immediately above the chart?

quote:

The list is biased for some of the countries with the highest consumption, such as Andorra, Luxembourg and Belgium. These countries are known to sell cigarettes at lower prices than their neighbours, and as such attract foreign buyers. Andorra, for instance, is known for its duty-free shops where Europeans can find alcohol, cigarettes, electronics and clothes which can be up to 20 percent cheaper than in the neighbouring countries.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Spanish died in ships on folds of our Coast! Old Glory!

*crickets*

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

There we go.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It kind of follows a pattern where developing and newly-rich countries smoke tons of cigarettes, which declines over time due to more awareness about smoking's dangers and the harm on society, and new regulations about where you can smoke and which taxes need to be paid. Which is why smoking was so widespread in the 50s but has declined pretty steadily since then.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

You've hit the jackpot if you find a restaurant with blackberry in there.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

orange marmalade was always my jam

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Play posted:

It kind of follows a pattern where developing and newly-rich countries smoke tons of cigarettes, which declines over time due to more awareness about smoking's dangers and the harm on society, and new regulations about where you can smoke and which taxes need to be paid. Which is why smoking was so widespread in the 50s but has declined pretty steadily since then.

So what you're saying is that smoking brings peak productivity to a country and once measures are enacted to start preventing it the country or society enters a period of long slow decline from its heyday.
Very interesting.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Detroit?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Revins posted:

Detroit?

yeah that's the rencen in the background of the 3rd pic

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

not that id use jelly on cornbread, but this just gave me an awful memory of just how loving bad cracker barrel's cornbread is. god it's bad

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
bring me the basket of bread, and make sure to include that one that's like eating a cake made out of sawdust, forthwidth

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

other people posted:

Did you miss this paragraph immediately above the chart?

i'm also curious how it incorporates tobacco-adjacents. having been to mexico recently i flatly do not believe a smoking rate of 1/3rd of the usa's. cigarillos or just full on cigars are more of a thing than your standard marlboro but smoking is five thousand percent a more culturally accepted thing there than in 95% of america.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My mother’s still burning Basic 305 menthol golds and will be until she dies. My grandmother smoked like a fiend and lived to be 82.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Hell yeah baby. You’ll pry those li’l smuckers outta my cold dead hands

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

boar guy posted:

yeah that's the rencen in the background of the 3rd pic

Im pretty sure that house is part of Little Caesars Arena now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It is amazing how bad Cracker Barrel's cornbread is. It's really bafflingly terrible

Revins posted:

orange marmalade was always my jam

:dadjoke:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero One posted:

Im pretty sure that house is part of Little Caesars Arena now.

they should have called it the $5 Hot-N-Ready Arena

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
corn_syrup_nation.jpg

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i have never entered a cracker barrel. always just felt like it was a racist restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

bellows lugosi posted:

i have never entered a cracker barrel. always just felt like it was a racist restaurant

Well, it hasn't been the same since they fired Brad's wife. After 11 years of service no less.