Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not how I'd build that bumper but I am not a master builder. :v:

In those photos it looks like none of the pieces have been pressed firmly together, like the thing is about to fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Not how I'd build that bumper but I am not a master builder. :v:
I think it's actually pretty close to how I'd approach it! My lower rear bodywork on cars like this is almost always upside-down. You just have way more options with slopes and curves and such.

Also, got around to getting some pics of the Renegade.

Also also, streaming a live build of the Mustang MOC tonight! 7PM CST as usual.

...Actually, on that note, my partner Bun wants to do a one-off stream where they roast random people's favorite LEGO sets. If you're game, feel free to mention your favorite set of all time, and why it's your favorite.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Built the 3-in-1 Surfer Beach House at a beach house over Easter (we also built the GWP carrot house).

It's quite a well-designed set with some nice detail. Thanks to the hinges can function as a free-standing, fully-enclosed building (a rarity in sets this cheap) or as a series of facades / dollhouses. The main disadvantage of this is that the roofs aren't removeable making it harder for adult hands to do things inside the rooms. The brickbuilt sign (made up almost entirely from 1x1 quarter circle tiles and a surfboard) stands out but my favourite part is the outdoor shower. The design is elegant and things like a stud and a flag become soap and a towel just by clever placement.

I hope they continue the connectable town buildings from the past few years but this was a great alternative.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So should a back ordered item that I placed an order for at least be showing up on My Orders page on the LEGO store site?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Carbohydrates posted:

...Actually, on that note, my partner Bun wants to do a one-off stream where they roast random people's favorite LEGO sets. If you're game, feel free to mention your favorite set of all time, and why it's your favorite.

31088 Deep Sea Creatures.

It'd be easy to pick childhood nostalgia sets or big Ideas things like the Saturn V but this is the set that got me out of my dark ages, was the first set I build with my daughter, and is a 4-in-1. Plus it looks good.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Carbohydrates posted:

It's Pirates of Barracuda Bay, it's just such a fun build, and with so many bits where I'm not sure why something's being built a certain way, and then bam, it slots in and I'm like oh man now I get it, also it looks amazing.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Carbohydrates posted:

The magnificent M-Tron Particle Ionizer.

https://brickset.com/sets/6923-1/Particle-Ioniser

It was the biggest set I'd ever got up to that time, and unlike my cousin's classic Space sets, I actually got to play with it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
M-Tron Particle Ionizer was the set that got me back into checking out Lego after a few years away. Loved that thing.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Ugh another couple of Lego orders (backordered) where I should have gotten GWPs that Lego did not include on the invoice / receipt.

Time to submit yet another CSR request that will take a week or two to process :(

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Favorite sets? In sort of order:

BYGGLEK - It fits in a bowl on your desk and you can build so many neat things out of it. It's like Lego tangrams. The smallest amount of Lego that still feels like complete Lego.

Mega Core Magnetizer - The best M-Tron set and the inspiration for so many other cool 6 wheeled lego vehicles.

Elvenstar Tree Bat Attack - My favorite Lego tree. Great use of three browns to make the tree and rest of the palette for the small houses looks really good.
The bat is kinda crap and isn't built. I didn't find out about the Elves line until after the fact, but it feels like a "stealth" castle theme that I ignored, and I feel like many of the sets with just a few tweaks could complement other castle themes. The goblin village and castle are also very cool, and I plan to get them in the future.

Arachnoid Star Base - Insanity. I've only built this one in Studio but I love it, and had a good time making renders of it. This whole line is kinda fascinating.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GlenMR posted:

It was the biggest set I'd ever got up to that time, and unlike my cousin's classic Space sets, I actually got to play with it.

I actually just had this delivered as part of my parents approach of "You're getting several boxes of stuff every time we see you". Past me apparently made a few substitutions? We'll see if the missing parts are in the generic box of Lego not yet delivered.

Vintage, out of state dust included.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lego shuttle quick review. Looks just enough like lego to tell it is lego at a distance. Saturn V and batmobile it's hard to tell it is lego from far away. Very displayable with the Hubble inside or outside it. Some fun play features with the landing gear deployment and wing flaps. Can easily mod the cockpit to fit a minifig and it would still look very close to correct scale, all that means this thing is massive. It's very swooshable by an adult, but way too heavy for my toddler and he can handle the razorcrest no problem. Only big issue is the interior bay door stickers are a nightmare to attach, but also who cares.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GlenMR posted:

You can’t roast perfection.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chairchucker posted:

It's Pirates of Barracuda Bay, it's just such a fun build, and with so many bits where I'm not sure why something's being built a certain way, and then bam, it slots in and I'm like oh man now I get it, also it looks amazing.

:same:
:same:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Hoverbike time!

https://flic.kr/p/2kRDnq5

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scipiotik posted:

Lego shuttle quick review. Looks just enough like lego to tell it is lego at a distance. Saturn V and batmobile it's hard to tell it is lego from far away. Very displayable with the Hubble inside or outside it. Some fun play features with the landing gear deployment and wing flaps. Can easily mod the cockpit to fit a minifig and it would still look very close to correct scale, all that means this thing is massive. It's very swooshable by an adult, but way too heavy for my toddler and he can handle the razorcrest no problem. Only big issue is the interior bay door stickers are a nightmare to attach, but also who cares.

Mine arrived yesterday. Looking forward to it

E:
I commented on the stream yesterday but my favorite childhood sets were:
6339: Shuttle Launch Pad
and 6949: Robo-Guardian

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 7, 2021

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Nth Doctor posted:

Mine arrived yesterday. Looking forward to it

E:
and 6949: Robo-Guardian

Hell yeah! One of my best childhood builds was a 'garage' for the Robo-Guardian

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Rad!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My favorite set was 6190: Shark's Crystal Cave. I loved Aquasharks so much.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm building the Porche and I have decision paralysis on the Targa and Turbo. Skimming forward on the instructions it doesn't feel like they're easily swapped between, either?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I've been buying bulk lots to sort through during COVID. This week I sold all the classic space sets I salvaged to put myself back in the black. Now to buy and sort some more...

Carbohydrates posted:

That's tough, but I think for me the Deep Freeze Defender narrowly beats out the Mega Core Magnetizer because those big plastic wheels, while cool looking, really did suck to build with.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

My favorite set was 6190: Shark's Crystal Cave. I loved Aquasharks so much.
I had the smaller version of that, 6155! Very cool stuff. Loved Aquazone and Aquasharks a lot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Oxyclean posted:

I'm building the Porche and I have decision paralysis on the Targa and Turbo. Skimming forward on the instructions it doesn't feel like they're easily swapped between, either?

Not super easy, no (there’s one bag of shared parts and it’d take like 15 min prob). Also they’re both good models. I had to go with the turbo, personally- need that spoiler and the wheel arches.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Carbohydrates posted:

I had the smaller version of that, 6155! Very cool stuff. Loved Aquazone and Aquasharks a lot.

Heck yeah! My favourite childhood set was 6175 - Crystal Explorer Sub

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MaliciousOnion posted:

my parents bought this for me when i finished kindergarten and it was the single most significant moment of my life to that point

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MaliciousOnion posted:

This guy almost made my list. This was the first set it took me multiple nights too build. I was sick as hell with a case of bronchitis, and missed my 4th grade choir concert, but I got to build the sub instead. I played with that beautiful thing for years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my other favorite childhood set was 6561 Hot Rod Club, which my mom bricklinked and reconstituted for my 32nd birthday :3:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Weedle posted:

my other favorite childhood set was 6561 Hot Rod Club, which my mom bricklinked and reconstituted for my 32nd birthday :3:

The coolest mom.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Weedle posted:

That's so cool - both the set and your mom doing that!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That came out really good. Nice shaping all around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nth Doctor posted:

:same: but those loving stickers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think I had an earlier version of shuttle launch pad, was there one?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There's this one from 1990, I don't think there's any earlier ones:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yep that’s it! That’s the one I had.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
my favorite childhood set

I also liked the Forestmen Hideout and River Crossing. The big Forestmen fortress kind of sucked though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I remember this guy. I have the shuttle from the 95 set still assembled on my bookshelf.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

veni veni veni posted:

That came out really good. Nice shaping all around.

Cheers!

It's got a base now.

Hoverbike WIP 2 by Andrew Spencer, on Flickr

Next job is to dig around for a better minifig outfit, and see if I can't get some stickering work done ready for the lightbox. Probably gonna refine the stand as well, I kinda of want to try and build up the wave/spray on the sticking-out blue parts.

Edit: Put together a (kinda provisional) glamour shot:

'Culverin' HX Sports Hoverbike by Andrew Spencer, on Flickr

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had this one growing up - I remember liking the red pillars for building a lot of taller stuff.