Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Joss is still mad at Halle for botching his genius lightning line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Joss is still mad at Halle for botching his genius lightning line.
That and it's also about power. It doesn't matter what the disagreement is over, all that matters is that he gets his way no matter what.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Do you think Joss was extra mad that nobody would cooperate with his idea that when Superman is reborn, it's as a nubile young girl, naked and shivering, who can't talk (because of her history of rapes) but can make scrotums explode with her mind and do extremely good roundhouse kicks

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I remember the Teen Titans episode that had Starfire dealing with prejudice/racism. Cyborg tells her he knows how she feels... because he's... part robot. Maybe it was a "protect our kids from racism" kinda thing, but I always saw it as a misstep.

I remember that episode, Starfire assumes it's because he's part robot and Cyborg essentially says "Yeah, sure, let's go with that".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ok

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I am there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

All the stuff about "it's problematic to have an angry black guy in the movie" when Fisher himself was involved in developing the character is such beyond parody level bullshit. White people straight up said "we know better than POC what POC like"!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it rocks that apparently the suits at WB look at Cyborg's popularity from the cartoon and think it's because he's a loud black guy, not because of any nuance

A lot this situation brings to mind a Lexi Alexander interview I read the other day. To wit:

" They didn’t sit in a room together and say, “How can we upset Palestinians the most?” On the contrary, the conversation is often more like, “How can we write something that [for example] Black people really like?” and then it goes in the complete opposite direction. Take Green Book [the 2018 film about a Black musician’s white chauffeur]. Many of my Hollywood friends said, “Look, this is going to be a great movie that everybody will like.” Immediately, the trailer comes out and I see all of Black Twitter explode [the film generated controversy over its historical inaccuracy and white savior narrative]. But a lot of powerful people in Hollywood think they are very woke. "
(White Savior Cinema)

I bring this up because she said this while discussing another WB superhero flick, Wonder Woman 2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

A lot this situation brings to mind a Lexi Alexander interview I read the other day. To wit:

" They didn’t sit in a room together and say, “How can we upset Palestinians the most?” On the contrary, the conversation is often more like, “How can we write something that [for example] Black people really like?” and then it goes in the complete opposite direction. Take Green Book [the 2018 film about a Black musician’s white chauffeur]. Many of my Hollywood friends said, “Look, this is going to be a great movie that everybody will like.” Immediately, the trailer comes out and I see all of Black Twitter explode [the film generated controversy over its historical inaccuracy and white savior narrative]. But a lot of powerful people in Hollywood think they are very woke. "
(White Savior Cinema)

I bring this up because she said this while discussing another WB superhero flick, Wonder Woman 2.

That interview is great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

That interview is great.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ALFbrot posted:

Do you think Joss was extra mad when Jeremy Irons and Gal Gadot refused to shoot the scene he wrote where Alfred was hurrying with toast in his mouth and ran into Diana while rounding a corner, knocking her over and revealing her panties

“Of course by that point it’s too late because by that point i’ve seen
Everything”.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s actually astonishing how textbook ‘white liberal’ the WB team are, and just how baffled they were by this black leftist. It’s like a more trenchant Get Out sequel crossed over into reality.

Like, you can see the precise thought process where they genuinely believed Whedon’s more orthodox bigotry was the only issue. Everyone else was ‘just’ trying to teach white children that blacks can be friendly! (I worked for Obama!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The jig was up with Shazam tbh, but The Suicide Squad just looks like whatever. More Disney + type stuff.

I never watched that one but, at the time before its release, there seemed to be a certain perversity of setting a very “kids” movie in the BVS setting. I didn’t expect it would be standard operating procedure from here on out.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I never watched that one but, at the time before its release, there seemed to be a certain perversity of setting a very “kids” movie in the BVS setting. I didn’t expect it would be standard operating procedure from here on out.

Its beyond just being in the same setting as BvS, it to the point where Snyders Batman and Superman have been merchandised in that world.

Freddy has several products with Batmans BvS logo on it, owns one of his actual batarangs of the same design from BvS/JL and theres a scene where a little kid is playing with BvS action figures.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 6, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jeremy Irons locking himself in his trailer after calling his lines "loving Stupid" is an incredible mood.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I forget if I was linked to it from this very thread, but here's an edit someone did to put ZSJL Supes in the ending of Shazam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6McoIeLfw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

Jeremy Irons locking himself in his trailer after calling his lines "loving Stupid" is an incredible mood.

had to be the lines about penguins and passing notes, lmao.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

had to be the lines about penguins and passing notes, lmao.
Probably also when Alfred is making insinuations about why Bruce wants Diana on the team.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
affleck trying to lead a walk out but not being successful is real :smith: stuff

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I really hate to be the "just asking questions" guy but is it relevant than an alien from another planet is lecturing a black person from the USA about being judged racially in the aforementioned episode? I have not seen the episode.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

affleck trying to lead a walk out but not being successful is real :smith: stuff

Aflecks a big star, at that the time that kind of action without consequence would be difficult for most of the other actors who were still relative newcomers. IIRC, the actors were rarely, if ever, on set as the whole group as well. It might have been feasible if some kind of collective action with SAG was organized, but I imagine most just probably didnt have the time or energy to go through a messy complicated process like that. It certainly would have sent a message to WB but nobody but Affleck commanded any major public power at the time.

Its just sad because I know its not the only reason, but the fact Affleck was deep in his alcoholism during and after the reshoots makes a lot of the Josstice footage hard to even laugh at. Between Fisher being visibly miserable, I wouldnt be surprised if Affleck was drinking on set. Hes visibly got that drunk red flush to his face in certain scenes.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 7, 2021

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

well why not posted:

Jeremy "Dungeons & Dragons" Irons saying that Whedon's lines are too stupid to say is awesome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

pile of brown posted:

I really hate to be the "just asking questions" guy but is it relevant than an alien from another planet is lecturing a black person from the USA about being judged racially in the aforementioned episode? I have not seen the episode.

In Teen Titans? It looks like this is the scene, "I'm part robot" is a self-aware punchline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yBH9lQOqc

Horizon Burning posted:

he seems like a stand-up guy, good for him if that's true

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Now I understand that video when Affleck's in an interview with Cavill promoting JL and suddenly has this distant depressed face as "Hello Darkness my old friend" plays.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

Now I understand that video when Affleck's in an interview with Cavill promoting JL and suddenly has this distant depressed face as "Hello Darkness my old friend" plays.

https://twitter.com/TobiKayode6/status/1379474874599579650

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think the Hello Darkness interview was for BvS? I did see a video where Affleck goes through his filmography and talks about his experiences making the movies, and he was really enthusiastic talking about BvS and then his face just fell when JL came up.

E: ^^^^yeah, that one!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

2house2fly posted:

I think that was for BvS? I did see a video where Affleck goes through his filmography and talks about his experiences making the movies, and he was really enthusiastic talking about BvS and then his face just fell when JL came up.

Yeah. And then he came back to shoot a scene gratis for ZS. Faith, Alfred!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

I think the Hello Darkness interview was for BvS? I did see a video where Affleck goes through his filmography and talks about his experiences making the movies, and he was really enthusiastic talking about BvS and then his face just fell when JL came up.

Was it? drat, I thought it was for JL.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Depressing reactions to the story on Twitter. People who felt "Black Panther is honestly so important, Chadwick Boseman is a true visionary" are turning around and going "Who the gently caress does Fisher think he is, that he's too good for 'booyah'?" As if he has no right to ownership over his character, his portrayal on screen, or his artistic reputation, or that the way he was treated has nothing to do with his race. Once again, the people who think they're too smart for Snyder movies demonstrate that they really are not.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlhklBTkgzI

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 7, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think it's kind of an okay movie, but there is a weirdness in how Snyder-stuff exists in there because the idea of collecting batarangs or Superman showing up at a middle school obviously doesn't jive. So, those aspects of the film just feel like these leftover props they found in a box.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

He seems like an abuse survivor the second his brain starts processing the bullshit he went through

pile of brown posted:

Not directed at you but here's a crib note for the future

Immigrant/alien experience =! Black american* experience

*This cannot be substituted for other countries

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well that video is boring so I will just complain about that Youtube talking style where people give a tiny pause between every single word and almost always pronounce "the" with a long E. Is this some intentional school of broadcast speaking that people learned? Like I guess it's supposed to make sure every word is clear but it's insanely stilted. Maybe they're also just slowing down their speech to drag out the time or something but I hate it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I clicked the link for this dumbass video before realising what it was. It had this in the recommended videos though, which looks kind of interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciwO9zUYIE

E: oh no he's devoting a lot of screentime to rebutting Maggie Mae Fish. she's living rent free in your head, man! let it go!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 7, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

2house2fly posted:

In Teen Titans? It looks like this is the scene, "I'm part robot" is a self-aware punchline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yBH9lQOqc
he seems like a stand-up guy, good for him if that's true

That scene seems like it's about to do well and then turns so hard it's dale earnhardts nascar

bushisms.txt posted:

He seems like an abuse survivor the second his brain starts processing the bullshit he went through

Not directed at you but here's a crib note for the future

Immigrant/alien experience =! Black american* experience

*This cannot be substituted for other countries
That's exactly what I was looking at

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A callback I missed: Darkseid's hand on Superman's shoulder = Xerxes promising Leonidas riches and power in 300

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

2house2fly posted:

A callback I missed: Darkseid's hand on Superman's shoulder = Xerxes promising Leonidas riches and power in 300
And unlike Leonidas, Superman is kneeling.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

AFAIK it was in production before Whedon got hardcore dragged, his name has been scrubbed from the project (I think?), and he has a solid record when it comes to television (and its a medium where his significant shortcomings as a director can be handwaved)

I mean, he made two shows that were successful (and one of those was a spinoff of the first) while his third and fourth shows were legendary bombs.

pospysyl posted:

Depressing reactions to the story on Twitter. People who felt "Black Panther is honestly so important, Chadwick Boseman is a true visionary" are turning around and going "Who the gently caress does Fisher think he is, that he's too good for 'booyah'?" As if he has no right to ownership over his character, his portrayal on screen, or his artistic reputation, or that the way he was treated has nothing to do with his race. Once again, the people who think they're too smart for Snyder movies demonstrate that they really are not.

It's especially telling given you'd think the people who just accept at face value "Disney = woke kings, DC = alt-right Nazi edgelords" would see supporting Fisher as fitting right into their worldview. I think the stumbling block is Whedon.

I'm kind of surprised people aren't trying to claim that it was the DC culture which turned Whedon evil or something.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Martman posted:

Well that video is boring so I will just complain about that Youtube talking style where people give a tiny pause between every single word and almost always pronounce "the" with a long E. Is this some intentional school of broadcast speaking that people learned? Like I guess it's supposed to make sure every word is clear but it's insanely stilted. Maybe they're also just slowing down their speech to drag out the time or something but I hate it.

Just forever take solace in the fact most successful directors are constantly laughing at or will never be aware of people like this. While succesful directors are mostly in their 40s-60s with families and kids drowning in piles of cash while having accomplished creative feats and having made a lifetime of memories in a wild industry, these idiots are wasting their youth and creative energy editing stupid negative analysis videos for fuckwads on the internet.

"Just Write" is his youtube name, but I must ask what exactly has he written? What has he contributed to film in any form that actually matters?

By the time they are Zack Snyders age now theyll still be wailing on youtube about Batman movie #80 for their paychecks and nobody will remember them for anything other than hating something until nobody remembers them at all. Theyll stare into the abyss of endlessly trolling youtube comments until their hairs gray while smarter people who may even share the same opinions as them strive to create art, not constantly destroy.

Critical analysis has its place and should always be valued, but youtube soapboxing has taken it to such a ludicrous degree directly stemming from the mutated trending algorithms that give people the illusion their opinions are important because google slammed a video into some smug nerds feed and they clicked it.

I will happily lend maybe an hour to writing some crirical words about a film, but I cannot imagine ever bringing myself to write and edit an entire loving video about a movie I do not like. That is loving bonkers to me. It is obscene.

At the very least, most traditional professional critics are obligated to review a film by proxy of whatever publication they work for. These youtube shills pick, choose and target whats popular, so they are willfully indulging an intrinsic negativity to the youtube algorithm.

A professional published critic makes money off a film review no matter what position they take and at the very least their opinions are not funneled through a content filter. Youtube critics give an AI content contributing toward telling its users "I can reinforce your hate". That is loving dire. How sad that is where your creativity energy is honed.

(I wouldn't feel so confident absolutely making GBS threads on these loving idiots if I wasnt using my skills with video and editing for some pretty cool stuff atm so its nice to be in a position to look down on these pathetic sad sacks of bile)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ray Fisher is a drat good looking man. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Jeremy "Dungeons & Dragons" Irons saying that Whedon's lines are too stupid to say is awesome.

He’s a pro’s pro. He knows when something is dog poo poo and when it isn’t.