Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Did a Historic event yesterday and faced this legend as the final boss

My dude brought a Sparky deck and made it that far. I kinda wanted to lose.

See wizards, if we had spectate mode I'd have kept watching that guy to see how far they made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Anyone know the 'break even' point on buying the mastery pass?

The break even point on a mastery pass depends a lot on how you value the draft tokens and the packs from other sets that get thrown in. If you value both at the list price, break even is around 50% of the pass' max level. If you don't draft or don't get good value out of the draft tokens, that point moves higher. If you already have all the rares from the packs that are earned, the gem EV for those packs drops from 1000 to 20 (plus wildcard progress), so that breakeven point also moves higher. I generally hold out on it for 5-6 weeks and evaluate from that point.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I like the mastery pass just because it makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something :j:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TipTow posted:

As pumped about cube as I was I did astoundingly poorly--2-3, 0-3, 0-3, and 1-3. Never had results that consistently bad for cube. I know I'm a pretty middling limited player, but yeesh.

Especially concerning since, unlike the last howevermany sets, I got the limited tokens preorder bundle rather than the 50 packs for Strixhaven; the inclusion of mystical archive cards totally threw my WC calculus for a loop and thought it might be best to go the draft-your-way-to-a-set route this time.

I've occasionally posted screencaps asking for advice on what to cut, etc. but I may need to get 17lands and post draft logs asking for advice this time if I don't want to flame out on what's likely to be a total boondoggle. Apologies in advance if I add more "need draft help please!!!" white noise, and thanks in advance for anyone who comments.

If you want more advice I'd recommend joining the Limited Level Ups discord, it's free and you can get pretty rapid responses from top limited players

Not to say don't post here, just that the various discords tend to be the go to places for discussing limited

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tricky Ed posted:

The break even point on a mastery pass depends a lot on how you value the draft tokens and the packs from other sets that get thrown in. If you value both at the list price, break even is around 50% of the pass' max level. If you don't draft or don't get good value out of the draft tokens, that point moves higher. If you already have all the rares from the packs that are earned, the gem EV for those packs drops from 1000 to 20 (plus wildcard progress), so that breakeven point also moves higher. I generally hold out on it for 5-6 weeks and evaluate from that point.

Perfect answer, thanks. I reinstalled recently after I saw some discord friends playing. Slapped together the casual Boros cycling deck (i.e., no BU land splash) and it's been going okay. I don't see another deck that I'm close to constructing so this works from me. I tried my hand at some drafts, mostly going 4-3 / 5-3 ish, not bad considering I barely know the sets/bombs.

Then, just last night, I figured out you can jam Firekiln Elemental / Experimental Frenzy RDW from Ravnica block into historic ranked for easy daily wins. How long will that last before I start getting trounced in historic?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Anyone know the 'break even' point on buying the mastery pass?

If you value it at 1 pack=200 gems, 500 gold=100 gems, draft token=1500 gems, then level 27 is when you've gotten 3400 gems worth of value out of the Kaldheim pass this season. (7 packs, 1 draft token, 1500 gold, 200 gems)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is a rad card.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if that's from the commander decks, remember that it's not coming to arena like nearly all other supplemental sets

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipTow posted:

I've occasionally posted screencaps asking for advice on what to cut, etc. but I may need to get 17lands and post draft logs asking for advice this time if I don't want to flame out on what's likely to be a total boondoggle. Apologies in advance if I add more "need draft help please!!!" white noise, and thanks in advance for anyone who comments.

These are the best kind of posts, and you should keep posting them

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

The Klowner posted:

These are the best kind of posts, and you should keep posting them

Was just about to post this. Limited help posts are the best thing about this thread.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I did cube three times. I did like 5 wins playing a fairly sedate WG stompy counters deck, and lost my mind and tried to go 5 color every times Esika showed up and lost spectacularly every time. I think I'll give it another go or two trying to make a real deck and see how it goes.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wish I didn't fat finger the show battlefield button so I could have taken a screenshot it, but had a weird bug on ios arena.

Facing b/w deaths shadow on w/g angels and its my turn 3. I play a castle ardenvale as my third land hit the pass turn button and the game lags a bit. Timer starts counting down, and then the spinning server screen pops up for a second and then the game comes back replays the opponent's Emeria's Call animation and now I have 2 castles on the battlefield one with the eye icon as the opponent knew about it from a thoughtsieze that could not be interacted with and didnt tap for mana, and a normal castle.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bugsy posted:

Wish I didn't fat finger the show battlefield button so I could have taken a screenshot it, but had a weird bug on ios arena.

Facing b/w deaths shadow on w/g angels and its my turn 3. I play a castle ardenvale as my third land hit the pass turn button and the game lags a bit. Timer starts counting down, and then the spinning server screen pops up for a second and then the game comes back replays the opponent's Emeria's Call animation and now I have 2 castles on the battlefield one with the eye icon as the opponent knew about it from a thoughtsieze that could not be interacted with and didnt tap for mana, and a normal castle.

This type of phantom permanent (or even phantom thing on the stack) that isn’t there but visually is happens to me on iOS all the time when I lose connection in the middle of something resolving or some other action. It’s annoying and needs to be fixed

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/Chord_O_Calls/status/1379596693390438400

will not be posting whether or not i agree with this

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i will say that overgrown arch looks a lot better when you just ignore the learn part

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

This is a rad card.

equal or lesser mana value than what? This Spell? the one you countered? Why doesnt the card make this clear?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Which streamer is using a Koma deck? I just faced it like four times and I don't like it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Simone Poodoin posted:

Which streamer is using a Koma deck? I just faced it like four times and I don't like it.

Was it a genesis ultimatum deck?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

equal or lesser mana value than what? This Spell? the one you countered? Why doesnt the card make this clear?

The mana value of the spell countered. It's also a Commander 21 card that will not be on Arena unless it comes in some Historic Anthology like Sawtusk Demolisher in the last one.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

It was, I hadn't seen one running Koma until today

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've seen CovertGoBlue and Hello Good Game both play decks with Koma in the last week. After seeing how it performs, I'm not surprised to see people experiment with it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AngryBooch posted:

The mana value of the spell countered. It's also a Commander 21 card that will not be on Arena unless it comes in some Historic Anthology like Sawtusk Demolisher in the last one.

Man. I got real excited by that.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teach by example in particular is a... bold call

E: it creates two mage craft triggers (one for itself and one for its copy) but it can only target your own spells... too clunky for too little benefit imv

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 7, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Klowner posted:

two mana copy the best instant or sorcery in your deck worked decent when it was expansion//explosion (even if usually you'd be casting explosion. or countering an opponent's counterspell)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It will be good in week 1 when you can load up on magecraft tribal before people know to take them highly, and before the aggro deck isn't formalized so you can get away with slow greed

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Klowner posted:

E: it creates two mage craft triggers (one for itself and one for its copy) but it can only target your own spells... too clunky for too little benefit imv

the lords of limited guys make a pretty argument for why this card is decent on their latest episode

btw ethan and alex already did their super long card review and as always its worth every minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0f5z60kFg

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So I decided to draft my way through Kaldheim, and here's my trip report:

I am an average drafter, who listens to LoL and LR somewhat reguarly. I have the LoL tier list open when I do my first 10-15 drafts. If I can pull this poo poo off, so can you!

Top line: I won 104 packs, and coupled with the 50 pack bundle, means I'm currently missing 4 rares and 13 mythics. I think I'm about even from where I started, gem wise.

Premier Draft
14 Events
62 Wins, 35 Losses (63.92% WP)
53 Packs won
9870 Net gems (+705 gems per event)

Trad Draft
12 Events
24 wins, 12 Losses (66.67% WP)
48 Packs won
4570 Net Gems (+380 gems per event)

Sealed
3 Events
14 wins, 9 losses (60.87% WP)
3 Packs won
-4320 Net Gems (-1440 gems per event, goddamn arena open!!!!)

I trophy'd with the following decks
UR Giants
UW Filers
UG Snow
WR aggro featuring 4x pup and 4x stalwart valkrie
UGR - Temur Snow
UGbr - 4 Color snow with 2x path to the world tree
UGr - Snow Changlings

All in all, I liked the draft format, even if it was a little binary - either you were in snow, or you were in WR (or WG) aggro. I never plowed someone though, my one regret.

Let's see how I do with Strixhaven!

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 7, 2021

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Neat idea! I listen to the same podcasts and stuff, but am instead solidly below average :). I didn't track gems or packs, but from the games I had 17lands on for here's my abbreviated Kaldheim postmortem.

Premier Draft: 19 events, 102 games, 49% winrate

Quick Draft: 5 events, 28 games, 46% winrate

Sealed: 1 event, 8 games, 62.5% winrate

Got one recorded trophy in Premier with a removal-heavy RB deck. Went for plow.dec once when I got passed four plows and ending up folding hard when my opponents decided to play spicy anti-plow tech (like creatures with more than 2 power). I only managed to make 5c snow come together once, but landing a turn 4 Prismatic Bridge felt good enough to make up for it.

I think I'm down around 25k gems from the start of the format. With these numbers, that means I didn't log data for at least 8 drafts, which makes for an average cost per event of ~$5. Sure, it'd be nice to eventually improve to the point of getting paid to draft but that's still a pretty decent $/enjoyment ratio imo! Especially seeing as I used to pay $20 per draft at my old LGS. Now if only Arena would let me turn my cards in for store credit...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Don't have all the numbers in front of me but I had a 56% win rate in Kaldheim across both formats in 21 drafts and trophied twice, both times with GW aggro.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

little munchkin posted:

i will say that overgrown arch looks a lot better when you just ignore the learn part

Yeah, whether or not the learn element is good, an 0/4 defender you can tap every opponent's end step for a life is gonna be very difficult to get past on the ground, depending on the average power of common creatures. If power 4 is reasonably achievable it won't be much, but if you have to buff to get up to killin it, it's gonna be a pain.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I ended up with a 72% win rate on bo3, 48 runs and 16 trophies, pretty decent i think. bo1 was... considerably worse

yeah i drafted a shitload of this set lol

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I had a ~58% game winrate pre-Kaldheim over 200 games (since I started 17lands), ~50% in Kaldheim over like 400 games, ~58% in non-Kaldheim drafts this year (admittedly only a couple score games). I know I used to have ~56% a year+ ago but I stopped using the tracking app at the time due to bugs, and then didn't pick up 17lands to start tracking again until late last year.

TLDR: gently caress Kaldheim lol

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I did great in KHM draft at the beginning, but once people wised up to how good snow decks are, I started losing a lot. I felt like I just had to be lucky to be at a seat that got good snow cards

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Everbody is posting stats?
I had a 50% and 52% winrate in Kaldheim drafts. I don't really study for the draft season and instead burn all my gems on sealed to learn the cards when the season starts. I ended up forcing equipment a lot and got a lot of 6-3 drafts with it.
I was lazy with my pack opening and opened all my packs after the first quickdraft season was over. Now I am missing 47 rares and am back to the same gem count I had before.
I am also really really annoyed that the one card that I opened 0 copies off is one of the best cards in the set. This faceless heaven is the only card I have crafted for Kaldheim.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not quite done but my stats are 55% bo1, 51% bo3 and 53% bot draft, 53% overall. I'm surprised, I thought I was doing much worse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my final tally for kaldheim was 68% winrate across sixty-something bo3 drafts

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, whether or not the learn element is good, an 0/4 defender you can tap every opponent's end step for a life is gonna be very difficult to get past on the ground, depending on the average power of common creatures. If power 4 is reasonably achievable it won't be much, but if you have to buff to get up to killin it, it's gonna be a pain.

the real power is in g/b to trigger all your lifegain matters cards every turn, meaning it applies pressure to your opponent while significantly padding your life total so they can't race. the fail case of running it in g/u isn't that bad either though, that deck want to draw cards and make lots of mana so you don't mind a defensive tool, and in the late game when an 0/4 stops being relevant you can exchange it for that lesson that makes a huge fractal token

babypolis posted:

the lords of limited guys make a pretty argument for why this card is decent on their latest episode

started to agree with them a little but then i checked the spoiler and they're dead wrong. quandrix pledgemage is the only card u/r has access to below rare that benefits from three magecraft triggers in the turn. not that many treasure makers either so dunno what they're on thinking the can reliably hit nine mana

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 7, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
47% winrate in the drafts I recorded on 17L, but I forgot at least one day of garbage by not starting it, so it's a little worse than that.

Still my third best set, the only one I've broken 50% on was M21, thoguh I have more trophies for ZNR than KHM, they were all during the opening weekend when competition was apparently particularly soft and I went infinite for like 3 days.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For some reason the Ixalan drafts are my best drafts I think, just kept winning whenever I played it. Not over nearly as many runs as I have in most formats though, probably barely 10 total. I did great in WAR drafts too and completed a full rare collection for WAR so it's probably my actual best format.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ixalan was a super fun draft set, I had a blast with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sethmanfield/status/1379831752907182081?s=21

Pretty Big changes, sideboards in Bo1 can only be 7 cards to keep wishboards and “lesson plans” in check