Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Darko posted:

I still love that Stephen King has fallen so far off that I'm apparently the only one that read his newest book in this thread and mentioned it pages ago. Years ago, this would not have been the case.

He's just solidly airplane book fodder now. Given what I've heard about Revival I'm going to check it out after my pandemic-induced apathy towards reading goes away but none of his other more recent work sounds appealing at all.

Weirdly enough I found myself wanting to watch the terrible Dark Tower adaptation today but it's not streaming anywhere.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t do that to yourself, especially if you’ve read the series.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's just solidly airplane book fodder now. Given what I've heard about Revival I'm going to check it out after my pandemic-induced apathy towards reading goes away but none of his other more recent work sounds appealing at all.

Weirdly enough I found myself wanting to watch the terrible Dark Tower adaptation today but it's not streaming anywhere.

It's not that bad. They added bits from all the books which was weird as hell, and the plot was basically Roland meets Jake then Algul Siento. Eddie and Susan were nowhere to be found. It wasn't a bad way to mash seven books into one movie, but I wouldn't spend more than a couple bucks on it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

Don’t do that to yourself, especially if you’ve read the series.

Yeah I've tried it sober and not so sober and there isn't a wrong way to stop watching that movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's so bad I can't even focus on any one bad thing. The more I think about it the more I remember and the more angry I become.

They decided to not include lobstrosities and instead used some generic monster that I can't even remember. Then they slowed down the already slow plot by having everyone visit a wasteland town. But no, not any of the cool wasteland towns from the book. A completely different boring wasteland town.

It feels like a movie that everyone making it knew sucked but all assumed it could be fixed in post and then no one fixed it in post.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's not that bad. They added bits from all the books which was weird as hell, and the plot was basically Roland meets Jake then Algul Siento. Eddie and Susan were nowhere to be found. It wasn't a bad way to mash seven books into one movie, but I wouldn't spend more than a couple bucks on it.

mods???

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's so bad I can't even focus on any one bad thing. The more I think about it the more I remember and the more angry I become.

They decided to not include lobstrosities and instead used some generic monster that I can't even remember. Then they slowed down the already slow plot by having everyone visit a wasteland town. But no, not any of the cool wasteland towns from the book. A completely different boring wasteland town.

It feels like a movie that everyone making it knew sucked but all assumed it could be fixed in post and then no one fixed it in post.

How can you forget "Jake becomes a gunslinger by successfully shooting a can off a fence"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

It’s absolutely that bad. However bad you imagine it being, it’s much worse. Don’t watch it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

mods???

How can you forget "Jake becomes a gunslinger by successfully shooting a can off a fence"

gently caress me, I'd forgotten that part.

Or how the climatic Battle of Jericho Hill, where Roland's dad dies, is just the Idris Elba, the Allstate guy, and Mcconaughey in a misty forest clearing like it's some one-act high school play..

Casting was good though. So you can watch very good actors in a very bad movie. The Dark Tower is the very definition of wasted potential.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mat Cauthon posted:

Revival is definitely worth reading

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finally started Later and it’s a fun read so far. King handled the opening hook pretty well.

It’ll probably end like rear end. In fact I’ll feel cheated if it doesn’t.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I am now listening to The Regulators audiobook on my afternoon walk.

It's certainly...something....so far. I am at the part right after the paperboy gets blown away.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Mister Kingdom posted:

I am now listening to The Regulators audiobook on my afternoon walk.

It's certainly...something....so far. I am at the part right after the paperboy gets blown away.

That is one of my favorite audiobooks by King, depending on which version you are listening to.

Do you have the plain Frank Muller one or the awesome Kate Nelligan one with the twangy music and bizarre sound effects?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In what world was Frank Muller plain?

I will admit I’ve never listened to his Regulators reading, but that’s because I’d rather not remember anything from the Regulators.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I loved the Regulators and listened to the Frank Muller version as well, I thought it was great all around and a fun ridiculous story. I blazed through the whole thing in a couple of days. I knew nothing going in though, I'd read Desperation 15+ years ago but didn't remember much about it.

I'm also a huge fan of The Tommyknockers and thought that worked excellently in audio form too. Between those and Lisey's Story, I'm finding that a lot of my favourites are ones that tend to get a negative reaction online. That's opinions for you!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

That is one of my favorite audiobooks by King, depending on which version you are listening to.

Do you have the plain Frank Muller one or the awesome Kate Nelligan one with the twangy music and bizarre sound effects?

I have the Nelligan one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been wondering which King book I'm going to reread for the millionth time next and it was going to be It but it may just have to be The Regulators.

So much better than Desperation.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been wondering which King book I'm going to reread for the millionth time next and it was going to be It but it may just have to be The Regulators.

So much better than Desperation.

:hfive:

I thought for sure I was the only one in the thread who felt this way.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm on a Brandon Sanderson binge right now, but after I think I'll try King's new book. I expect it'll be enjoyable, great in places, with a wet fart for an ending. This Constant Reader accepts this because ka is a wheel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I also love the Regulators, it's so delightfully insane. Desperation just seemed too similar to one of his earlier short stories or something.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I really like both The Regulators and Desperation. Random bits from both stories pop into my head on occasion. Like when halfway done shaving I sometime think about if some real poo poo went down that would interrupt it and make me look like a lunatic at the end of the world like Collie until he gets a chance to finish shaving later in the book.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I finally started Later and it’s a fun read so far. King handled the opening hook pretty well.

It’ll probably end like rear end. In fact I’ll feel cheated if it doesn’t.

Honestly, I feel like he does a pretty solid job with the ending as far as his ending's typically go. There's a supremely "well that came from left field and was possibly unnecessary" denouement of a minor plot thread but for the most part I think he sticks it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still haven't been able to watch more of the new Stand miniseries. I binged through the first 4 two weeks ago. But I'm a King fan and I have to do it!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I still haven't been able to watch more of the new Stand miniseries. I binged through the first 4 two weeks ago. But I'm a King fan and I have to do it!

You really don't.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I watched the first 4 or 5 and then gave up. I could justify it because to me it was like little vignettes from the book, which was a little disjointed. I didn't mind the time skips because I knew the characters and the story and whatever it missed I've known since the 90s. Can't imagine who thought that was a good idea for people who didn't know the book.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I actually watched until the penultimate episode. I’ll be damned if I ever watch the finale though. gently caress that show.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

RCarr posted:

I actually watched until the penultimate episode. I’ll be damned if I ever watch the finale though. gently caress that show.

Same, but in hindsight I'm surprised I didn't check out much sooner.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I watched the first 4 or 5 and then gave up. I could justify it because to me it was like little vignettes from the book, which was a little disjointed. I didn't mind the time skips because I knew the characters and the story and whatever it missed I've known since the 90s. Can't imagine who thought that was a good idea for people who didn't know the book.

I thought the same way, but my boyfriend (who hasn't read any King) said he was able to follow along just fine, and he really enjoyed it up until the last two or three episodes. By that point he was invested so he wanted to finish, but he was really checked out by the final one. On the upside though, when I mentioned there was a mini-series made in the 90s he got interested in that so we might give it a shot. Anyone know if that's any good?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Soysaucebeast posted:

On the upside though, when I mentioned there was a mini-series made in the 90s he got interested in that so we might give it a shot. Anyone know if that's any good?

It's pretty good as long as you know that it's extremely 90s and sanitized for TV.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

I thought the same way, but my boyfriend (who hasn't read any King) said he was able to follow along just fine, and he really enjoyed it up until the last two or three episodes. By that point he was invested so he wanted to finish, but he was really checked out by the final one. On the upside though, when I mentioned there was a mini-series made in the 90s he got interested in that so we might give it a shot. Anyone know if that's any good?

It's been a supremely cold minute since I bothered with that one, but I want to say it suffers (possibly even more) the same problems this series had based on the comments. A lot of plot shoved into an even shorter time length, plus much of the material is censored for standard cable. It does have some interesting 90's stunt casting. Lieutenant Dan for Stu, Parker Lewis (Corin Nemec) gets to ramp up the creep factor for Lauder, and Max Headroom (Matt Frewer) as Trashcan Man. If memory serves, everyone at least liked Flagg. I'm totally unfamiliar with the actor so not gonna bother with the character stand ins.

Oh. Molly Ringwald. She was in that thing.

As far as "TV Mini-Series adapations" go, I would place it above IT but probably below The Shining and the Salem's Lot (both late 90's early aughts?)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hatelull posted:

It's been a supremely cold minute since I bothered with that one, but I want to say it suffers (possibly even more) the same problems this series had based on the comments. A lot of plot shoved into an even shorter time length, plus much of the material is censored for standard cable. It does have some interesting 90's stunt casting. Lieutenant Dan for Stu, Parker Lewis (Corin Nemec) gets to ramp up the creep factor for Lauder, and Max Headroom (Matt Frewer) as Trashcan Man. If memory serves, everyone at least liked Flagg. I'm totally unfamiliar with the actor so not gonna bother with the character stand ins.

Oh. Molly Ringwald. She was in that thing.

As far as "TV Mini-Series adapations" go, I would place it above IT but probably below The Shining and the Salem's Lot (both late 90's early aughts?)

You missed Rob Lowe, Ossie Davis, King favorite Miguel Ferrer.

It was a good cast Brent.

And like the new one it does fall apart towards the end. The opening is still tits, IMHO.

e: wait did you just refer to the 90s Shining? My goon (seriously who watches that)

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Finished the dark tower series. Super sad it’s over, loved pretty much all of it. Also really liked the ending, know opinions are pretty polarized on that.

I would read more books of Roland side quests like wind through the keyhole

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Drewsky posted:

Finished the dark tower series. Super sad it’s over, loved pretty much all of it. Also really liked the ending, know opinions are pretty polarized on that.

I found this youtube channel and wish I had got into it in 2017. I was googling Little Sisters of Ehluria for some reason, possibly to remember how to spell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqzZ48XWG0

She had a goodreads book club going, idk how that went. Also she likes Harry Potter so watch out, sneetches!

Basically what I'm saying is give DT a decade or so and you'll be a whole different person and can read it again for the first time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drewsky posted:

For me personally the thing about "the ending" I didn't like was the majority of books 6 and 7, not specifically the part where Roland ends up at the beginning of the first book, but this time he saved the Horn of Eld.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hatelull posted:

Honestly, I feel like he does a pretty solid job with the ending as far as his ending's typically go. There's a supremely "well that came from left field and was possibly unnecessary" denouement of a minor plot thread but for the most part I think he sticks it.

It was a good read. Suspenseful with just enough horror and what felt like a solid ending. Aaaaaand then King giggled to himself decided to screw it all up.

Protip, stop reading at chapter 67. You won’t listen, but you’ll wish you had.

That might be the first King book I’ve physically read in 15 years. I usually only read non-fiction so I’ve forgotten how easy it is to just lose yourself in a story. I saw a copy of Firestarter at the used bookstore today and picked it up. It’s been probably 33 years since I first read that, but if I’m remembering correctly the ending didn’t suck.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think maybe my favorite bit that was added to the recent "It" movies was the part about how Bill Denbrough writes lovely endings to his horror novels that even his wife doesn't like, though she lies to him about this. Which is then referenced again when we see Stephen King's cameo as the proprietor of Secondhand Rose, when he turns down Bill's offer to autograph his book as he "didn't like the ending". It was a bit meta and self-referential, but pretty amusing nonetheless.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

For me personally the thing about "the ending" I didn't like was the majority of books 6 and 7, not specifically the part where Roland ends up at the beginning of the first book, but this time he saved the Horn of Eld.

Most of Song of Susannah I agree with you on the pregnancy plot was really weird and dumb and idk why it needed to be there at all. he even references that it’s kind of a false start in the fake king journal at the end of wolves. I still thought the last book was pretty great though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't fault anyone for liking it, but for me I personally hated the few hundred pages that were basically just walking through increasingly barren lands, everything about the Dandello, the artist, the way the ka-tet died out one by one, and probably whatever else happened in it that I'm forgetting. I forget if the part where they travel to our world and meet Stephen King and he loses his poo poo and then they have to save him from the EVIL HAUNTED VAN that is being sent to assassinate him was in that book or in book 6, but I liked that in principle.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't fault anyone for liking it, but for me I personally hated the few hundred pages that were basically just walking through increasingly barren lands, everything about the Dandello, the artist, the way the ka-tet died out one by one, and probably whatever else happened in it that I'm forgetting. .

See, I loved those parts. I find Roland's world fascinating, so any chance to flesh it out a little is always great.

Drewsky posted:

Yes!

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't fault anyone for liking it, but for me I personally hated the few hundred pages that were basically just walking through increasingly barren lands, everything about the Dandello, the artist, the way the ka-tet died out one by one, and probably whatever else happened in it that I'm forgetting. I forget if the part where they travel to our world and meet Stephen King and he loses his poo poo and then they have to save him from the EVIL HAUNTED VAN that is being sent to assassinate him was in that book or in book 6, but I liked that in principle.

Getting just giant blocks of spoilers here sorry but why didn’t you like the ka-tet dying out one by one? I thought that’s kind of what made the last book have emotional weight to it. Otherwise there would be nothing to it, Roland easily takes out every enemy he has, no matter how built up they’ve been through the series. so the people he loves dying kind of drives the point home that Roland is his own worst enemy, he deals in death and not just to his enemies. He basically can’t die but everyone he loves will and in most cases directly because they were attached to him. That’s how I read it anyway. I do have some issues with how telegraphed and foreshadowed the deaths were though, but who knows maybe I would have liked it less had they not been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The 90's Stand miniseries gets better every year that goes by. It was hobbled by the limits of network TV at the time but it had absolutely pitch perfect casting. And at least it gave half a poo poo about the source material.