Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Wasn't there a Count of Monte Cristo anime that took place in outer space and had a weird unmoving texture effect?
I'd be surprised of there wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Wasn't there a Count of Monte Cristo anime that took place in outer space and had a weird unmoving texture effect?

Yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCHjKzPzTY

A whole tv show of salesmen from the Monkey Island games.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Just lol if you're first exposure to the Count of Monte Cristo wasn't the Wishbone episode.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Extremely pumped for Humbleston's redemption/revenge arc

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1379561583760789505

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Emily Spinach posted:

Just lol if you're first exposure to the Count of Monte Cristo wasn't the Wishbone episode.

Wishbone rocked. :luca:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Emily Spinach posted:

I mean, Wishbone was my first exposure to all the classic lit that Wishbone did.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wishbone's Pride and Prejudice Great Expectations is better than the book.

E: misremember the book I hate so. Pride and Prejudice is fine.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Apr 7, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I was really little I had a set of books that were ultra-abridged children's versions of classic literature. Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Great Expectations, The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, you get the picture. The only book I couldn't stand from that series was Count of Monty Cristo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I was really little I had a set of books that were ultra-abridged children's versions of classic literature. Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Great Expectations, The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, you get the picture. The only book I couldn't stand from that series was Count of Monty Cristo.

Were they small little square things?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

Were they small little square things?

:hfive:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had something similar, great illustrated classics i think they were called. The count of monte cristo was the first time i ever cried at a book, when the old prisoner died.

E: those are the ones! ^^^

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Those sure look like my memories

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Oh god I had a few of those, too!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Yup, had those. One thing I realized is that those were good enough for a passing score for those Accelerated Reader quizzes.

Now I’m a lit major, but back then I liked reading other books, so these were helpful.

Also, South Park had a surprisingly fine version of Great Expectations.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Emily Spinach posted:

All of Wishbone is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeA7fOMOuX4

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So does this mean we will get a battle of Waterloo in comic form? I want to see more Napoleon.

I just started liking and following the comic and now it's ended :(.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

My grandpa was hilariously into Wishbone even if he refused to admit it. When it came on he'd grumble about having to watch a kids show, then sit absolutely entranced for the entire time. According to my grandma he did this even when I wasn't there to provide a convenient excuse to watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And at the end of every episode he'd grumble, "That little son of a bitch, he did it again. I'll be goddamned..."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Do you think we will ever find out what happens to Leatherprune's fortune?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

HPanda posted:

Yup, had those. One thing I realized is that those were good enough for a passing score for those Accelerated Reader quizzes.
Except for Gulliver's Travels, which was missing the last third of the book.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Rereading the archive I found this amazing callback.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Twitch posted:

Apologies for continuing a derail, but is there an edition of the Count of Monte Cristo you'd recommend? I've been making more time to read and could go for giving it another go after I finish the book I'm currently reading. I just bought whatever Amazon ebook version came up first and looked unabridged.

The version I've got is just a Penguin. Certainly did a lot of flipping to the footnotes. There's actually a lot of historical context that makes things more interesting; like the hidden fortune was originally hidden from the Borgias

The story is also apparently based (very) loosely on a real story, with a less complex cause where a dude was framed for having English sympathies, served his time in a rich man's household and became his heir, then went out for good ol' murder for revenge. (Oddly enough, the Simpsons version of the story also uses being framed for English sympathies to simplify the plot)

That said, I just roll with all the filler and sideplots, Italian bandits and runaway lesbian couple and all.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kit Walker posted:

I never read Jane Austen but the premise is pretty easy to pick up on. I guess the only thing you’d really need to appreciate Abbeycourt is a basic understanding of high society way back when, which lots of people pick up through cultural osmosis anyway

I tried to read Jane Austen, but it really wasn't for me. A chapter in and I was thirsting for the proletarian hordes to start burning down everyone in that goddamn county.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samovar posted:

I tried to read Jane Austen, but it really wasn't for me. A chapter in and I was thirsting for the proletarian hordes to start burning down everyone in that goddamn county.

This was about my experience trying to read it recently too, yeah. The most tedious possible people to ever exist with far too much money.

Come to think of it half the fun of Monte Cristo is that the story in general and the Count in particular is all about loving with those people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Twitch posted:

As someone who's tried to get through the Count of Monte Cristo a couple times (it's good but very long) I'm psyched as hell

I haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo, but I have read Stephen Fry's "The Star's Tennis Balls", which I believe hits all the same plot beats.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The audiobook is quite good and I could listen to Stephen Fry talk forever.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is a really good one, by the way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Single drop of rain/ falling on the cat's coccoon/ Oh Bartholomew

You cannot possibly relate to this

Maybe I could get a twenty-dollar dog food? Or twenty one-dollar dog foods.

Sit back, my friend, and let me regale you with the sordid tale of how this came to be. Wait, before you sit back, go grab me a soda

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

that's what playing Unrealworld is like, without the camping stove. And I guess what idiot outdoorsmen imagine, including the stove.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:iceburn:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

drat that's good

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loving incredible

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Fools Infinite posted:

Maybe I could get a twenty-dollar dog food? Or twenty one-dollar dog foods.
I like how he decided to add the "THE END" like he realised the joke was even dumber than usual

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Today's adventure concluded :shrug:

e: sorry, I mean

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Apr 7, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short