Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Despite being somewhat timid and weak I like how wholly appropriate it is for the red dragon to be quite good at laying down sick burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I've only ever read one football manga and it was Eyeshield 21 and the art in that is kinda unfair to compare anything else to

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

More like Yusuke OVerrated if you ask me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

psyer posted:

The title was to honor Dettmar Cramer, the father of modern football in Japan, who passed away in 2015. The manga came out in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettmar_Cramer

And I agree with the previous comment that the art is much better in the manga than the anime. The manga is licensed and all the chapters are translated in English. You can read ch. 1, 16-end on Crunchyroll. Also most of it seems to be available on Comixology Unlimited

As for the manga, I think it is one of the better football manga. There are not that many. Another thing is that it tries to promote the women's game well. Only thing is that the manga had an abrupt ending. The author seemed to just want to work on something else as I do not think it was cancelled since it was selling fairly well.

The other good football manga are Ao Ashi, Giant Killing, and Be Blues. Try those if you have not. All the rest of the football manga are pretty poor. Do not read Blue Lock, that is just terrible.

Ah interesting, I wasn't aware of him. I'll probably check out the manga since I'm all caught up with Giant Killing, Ao Aishi, and Days.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SSSS.Dynazenon, Megalobox 2, and Oddtaxi making a real strong start for the spring season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Odd Taxi is interesting. There's an element of noir in it, I feel

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know how Slime Diaries came out as a full-length 23-minute episode show. I don't necessarily mind, but it's not what I would have remotely expected of this sort of thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the conversions in Oddtaxi, they have a certain flow to them that I enjoy a lot. The entire scene in the doctor's office is real good.

Edit: also the OP is chill as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_cLtW3PnA

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 7, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know how Slime Diaries came out as a full-length 23-minute episode show. I don't necessarily mind, but it's not what I would have remotely expected of this sort of thing.
I'm surprised there's enough material for a full season of it even with the visible padding.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
drat, Odd Taxi coming out of the gate strong. This is shaping up to be an interesting season.

EDIT: The Tweets are real, and from a year ago.
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t/status/1314943016344453122?s=20

Squidster fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 7, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Never underestimate the power of Kawaii

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Squidster posted:

EDIT: The Tweets are real, and from a year ago.
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t/status/1314943016344453122?s=20

:golfclap:

Time to crib that timeline to find the crucial clue that will allow us, the viewers, to solve the mystery.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite moment in Odd Taxi was the twitter guy mentioning foreigners tweeting about gender issues in Japan. That's what I call gritty and realistic dialog.

Saint's Magic Power has much more interesting visual direction than your average isekai.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saint's Power is exactly what I hoped it would be, also it's very pretty

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a very mild story.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Saint's Power is exactly what I hoped it would be, also it's very pretty

I enjoyed it and will keep watching, but the title is so forgettable that it took me until halfway through the episode to realise I'd read several chapters of the manga at some point a year or two ago.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed it and will keep watching, but the title is so forgettable that it took me until halfway through the episode to realise I'd read several chapters of the manga at some point a year or two ago.

To be fair, the manga spends way too long with her trying to hide her status and kind of just spinning her wheels.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
when it was announced I completely mixed it up with another one that has almost exactly the same story so it's not like the plot is really what's going for it lol.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair, the manga spends way too long with her trying to hide her status and kind of just spinning her wheels.

I've come to realize that isekai manga adaptations move at a snail's pace compared to their WN or LN versions, so usually the anime version ends up speeding past manga versions as was seen with spider.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

when it was announced I completely mixed it up with another one that has almost exactly the same story so it's not like the plot is really what's going for it lol.

I’ve mixed it up a few times with the story about the saintess who runs a bookstore.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nemo2342 posted:

I’ve mixed it up a few times with the story about the saintess who runs a bookstore.
yeah that's the one I thought it was at first
that one has a much hotter love interest tbh, kinda wish it had got the anime instead

so cute :3

it's also equally unexciting lol
tbh to me the appeal of these is that they have older characters. female protagonist doesn't really make or break it for me (right now my favorite one with almost exactly the same plot is a BL one [unsurprisingly]) but being aimed more at a female audience does make it more appealing as well. Also in general I think I prefer the ones where they're summoned and are just, the same person and they didn't die vs the reincarnated ones.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 7, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just found out that The Eminence In Shadow is getting an anime adaptation and boy I don't think I've ever been so excited for a goddamn isekai anime

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

yeah that's the one I thought it was at first
that one has a much hotter love interest tbh, kinda wish it had got the anime instead

so cute :3

it's also equally unexciting lol
tbh to me the appeal of these is that they have older characters. female protagonist doesn't really make or break it for me (right now my favorite one with almost exactly the same plot is a BL one [unsurprisingly]) but being aimed more at a female audience does make it more appealing as well. Also in general I think I prefer the ones where they're summoned and are just, the same person and they didn't die vs the reincarnated ones.

I like that one, but it made me mad that they did such a quick wrap up at the end of the first volume and skipped what could have been lots of good stuff. I did however love that it had an older protagonist who started out by shaking down God for OP stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Invictus posted:

I just found out that The Eminence In Shadow is getting an anime adaptation and boy I don't think I've ever been so excited for a goddamn isekai anime

I know right, if they get it right it will be the best parody anime since Konosuba.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't have to be fukuyama himself, but i desperately hope they get someone who can do a proper lelouch voice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having watched Episode 2 of both Mars Red and Jouran, my preferences are starting to flip, and I'm starting to like the latter over the former. Mars Red Ep2's direction isn't as standout as Ep1's, and they're starting to settle into a cliched cool-guys team routine. Whereas Jouran is directly building up towards a conflict amongst the cool-guys team, the writing is becoming more solid and less cliched, when you have an interesting side character with a good personality explain to the central conflict of the show before they are forced to leave the plot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

I actually wasn't sure if it was this one or the other double saintess summoning one where the unwanted MC gets runoff into the woods and befriends all the spirits and a dragon I think? Maybe she becomes a cat? I don't quite remember it had like 3 chapters released.

There is I notice an interesting thing in at least isekai but maybe it happens in other subgenres where you'll have multiple releases with extremely similar "set ups" but the actual "genre" (suspense, action, comedy, marketed to seinen or shonen, etc) are all different from each other.

Example: The Eliza Villainness series and Bakarina, Bakarina is more of a reverse harem josei romantic comedy set in a isekai based off of a popular Visual Novel where Kat is trying to avoid the bad end. Eliza is also the villainness who ends up in the same role in a world based off of a visual novel where her character has a Bad End but she poisons her family right off the bat and spends the entire series with Kumoko levels of paranoia trying to avoid that ending; so its a more serious series with some reverse harem romantic elements but the politics/drama is more center stage.

(I wish Eliza had proper English releases, the translator who was manually translating it stopped and a blog that mainly does slightly corrected Machine Translations took over after that and it hasn't been the same).

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I wanted to like Saint’s Power. The premise makes it sound like a sort of Isekai Atelier, which has a lot of potential. This episode was a little weird, though, especially in the pacing. It’s like we got the first five minutes of episode 1 and then it skipped right into episode 2.

I feel like there should have been a few more scenes of Sei getting rejected in favor of the other girl and growing increasing annoyed, setting up her decision to go off and do her own thing. Like maybe she could have asked one of the royal mages about magic but he says “I don’t have time for this, I’m busy tutoring the real saint”, or something to that effect. Instead it comes across like the only one showing favoritism was the prince and everyone else was cool with having two saints.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1379849655253495813

tubi is free (with ads) afaik

Super Cub had a nice, understated first episode. Surprisingly so coming from an LN adaptation; you could've fairly easily removed what dialogue there is and turned it into a standalone silent short. Remains to be seen how it holds up both as a production (it's very slight from the outstart) and as it introduces a wider cast, but I've heard reasonably nice things about the novels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love the conversions in Oddtaxi, they have a certain flow to them that I enjoy a lot. The entire scene in the doctor's office is real good.

Edit: also the OP is chill as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_cLtW3PnA

interesting take on the animal-people conceit as well, since it's implied that they're all just normal humans and this is how odakawa sees them

it's hooked me if only so i can see how the melancholic slow-paced conversations shown in the first episode will escalate into the crime drama hinted at in the trailers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Checked their website and and unsurprisingly they're not available in the EU, though straight up blaming the data protection act is anew one lol

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Full Dive had a pretty dark and amusing twist. If it keeps that tone it could be pretty great. Judging from the ED it doesn't though.

Super Cub's color saturation manipulation was pretty neat.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 7, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wasn't expecting much from Full Dive but surprisingly "What if a VR MMO, but in hardcore realism mode" is actually a pretty comically ripe concept, and hearing it's from the Shinchou Yuusha author gives me hopes it should be able to manage at least a single cours worth of amusement

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the episode made me sad

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Welcome to Super Cub, a warm and fuzzy show about cute girls enjoying a hobby:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I for one look forward to the adventures of a girl and her possessed murder scooter.

Seriously how does one of those kill three people?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tfw you have a scooter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

I for one look forward to the adventures of a girl and her possessed murder scooter.

Seriously how does one of those kill three people?

Well, I can believe the first two were an accident, but by the third person, you had to be trying for it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I liked Super Cub, even if it's Honda propaganda. I'm a sucker for Debussy, and for carefully animated normal everyday monotony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/osama_ranking/status/1379932002648944643?s=20