Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

BonoMan posted:

...putrid?

I'm imagining dirty talking while popping huge zits or something and I'm loling.

Edit: I regret nothing about this page snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
While I’m happy with imaginations running riot, I was just emphasizing the ‘dirt’ in dirty talk by using a near synonym to filthy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was woken from a dead sleep at like 5 pm (graveyard shift, yay) a few weeks ago by my son shaking my shoulder and going "The cops are here and they want to talk to you." That sure gets the heart racing. Though hilariously, our downstairs neighbor a few weeks before that had called the cops on us because my son walks with all the subtlety of an elephant (seriously, the complaint was "stomping"), so he followed it up with "Don't worry, it's not about a noise complaint."

After I got some pants on and made my way to the door, turns out there had been a shooting nearby and they were asking around if anyone had heard anything, but I was in no way getting back to sleep after that jolt.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

femcastra posted:

While I’m happy with imaginations running riot, I was just emphasizing the ‘dirt’ in dirty talk by using a near synonym to filthy.

Putrid is not really "dirty". It means something decaying.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Alterian posted:

Putrid is not really "dirty". It means something decaying.

Man I don’t want to pull out a dictionary screenshot but I am anyway.

My head was more in the second space than the first.

I am also thinking there might be regional variation in Aus English versus American? I have rarely used putrid to mean decomposing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
It's just not a very sexy word!

My wife discovered something fun the other day. Our 2 month old is juuust getting to the point where she can pay attention to something for short periods of time, and she gets absolutely transfixed when we lay her down in our bedroom and turn our ceiling fan on for just a couple seconds to get it started, then turn it off. It was so nice to stumble upon a way to get her calmed down, and it gave me hope and even more excitement for the future when we can play!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the fan was my kid's major source of joy and hope till around 3 1/2 months.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Benagain posted:

the fan was my kid's major source of joy and hope till around 3 1/2 months.

Thread title?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

femcastra posted:

I am also thinking there might be regional variation in Aus English versus American? I have rarely used putrid to mean decomposing.

While I'm not exactly your average bodice ripper romance novel reader, I wouldn't expect a line like "his putrid, turgid manhood pulsated in the setting sun" in one.

Would make me think the dude had open sores or something.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son still stares at ceiling fans all the drat time. His big Christmas present was a ceiling fan. He found that our living room fan has a remote and he will sit there hitting the different speed buttons on it and babbling and giggling at it for hours if we let him.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
This is the beginning of the end of the cute grub stage. My 2.5 month old has discovered that he can make noises just for attention and not because he needs anything. Also just generally experimenting with his vocal capabilities, including shrieking.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Where'd all the sex chat come from? We've already passed Valentine's Day so haven't all the parents gotten their one sex-having for the year?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

Where'd all the sex chat come from? We've already passed Valentine's Day so haven't all the parents gotten their one sex-having for the year?

Sex is still fun

When we aren’t too tired to have it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In home daycare vs Daycare Centers?

We've done interviews with one each so far, I don't see why Daycare Centers charge ~50% more (in my area) than In Home. I never went to a daycare center growing up, and one of my friends went to an in home daycare growing up, and then one of my best friends dated a girl whose mom wan an in home daycare so maybe I'm biased?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My mom ran in home day care, and they can be certainly be great. However, there's usually far, far less oversight of them compared to official day care centers, depending on where you're located.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Hadlock posted:

We've done interviews with one each so far, I don't see why Daycare Centers charge ~50% more (in my area) than In Home. I never went to a daycare center growing up, and one of my friends went to an in home daycare growing up, and then one of my best friends dated a girl whose mom wan an in home daycare so maybe I'm biased?

Purely anecdotal since we did not look at every daycare in existence, but we chose a daycare center because we felt like it had more accountability, better hours, better facilities to do more stuff with the kids, and generally better socialization for the kids in a more school like environment (and both of the in-home ones we saw looked super janky). The accountability aspect is kind of paranoid, but I was somewhat worried that the in-home person could just leave them in front of the tv for 6 hours while they do laundry or watched tv and we would have no way of knowing. Plus if the caretaker gets sick or have some emergency the whole thing is shut down since you are entirely reliant on one person. For the better facilities it just seems like they have a lot more available due to the larger scale, a full playground, various events like wildlife shows where they bring in someone from a bird sanctuary or whatever that shows off a bunch of parrots, growing butterflies from eggs, setting up a waterpark in the summer, and other little things that are probably beyond what someone can do with their house. It does have cons of course, as you noticed it is quite a bit more expensive. Also likely more nickle and diming and price increases, where it was like an apartment where they would raise the price 10% a year every year because they could. Two kids in daycare is something like 33% more than our mortgage.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2021

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We went with a daycare center instead of a home for the following reasons:
-We only need part time, and needed flexibility as my schedule is different every week
-There’s more than one set of eyes on the kids at any given time
-The centers tend to be bigger and have more things for the kids to do (toys, books, art projects, etc) to give them a variety of entertainment, and no TVs
-Most centers have “lesson plans” even for the little kids. It’s not just about having someone watch and play with your kid, they are actively trying to teach them things
-depending on where you live, centers are legally required for their kids to have proof of vaccinations
-Word of mouth recommended the place we go to now, and if you know other people with kids in daycare, I think this is the most important. We learned which daycares to avoid and which ones are good, and you can’t really get that with online reviews from strangers and a tour alone.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Went on second social outting with son at 6 weeks. Friend's house had a ceiling fan and lil dude just stared at it the whole time. Also kept looking for his mama when we had family friends holding him and that made wife's day.

I scoped out the day care center that is physically closest to my home. It is a center that just got stood up over the last 3-5 months, so the reviews arnt really in yet. But, I've never really paid attention to reviews because I've seen how some of the sausage gets made on those yelps and google guides. The center had certs with letters in the office and a lady who talked to me. Hoping to try out a story time hour after the first round of vaccines.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

We're doing in-home, but it's a pretty much a center that takes up the entire basement of this house with 4 teachers for 12 kids. So best of both worlds, though 400/week is still a shock to the system.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Dog man books are trash but if they get my 1st grade daughter reading independently, whatever!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

Around here, day care centers have to be licensed by the state and have to meet certain criteria. There's a bare minimum required for licensing (safety, basic care, etc.), and then there's a star system where higher stars mean they meet higher criteria (better ratios, teacher education levels, continuing education, etc.).

In-home day cares don't all have to be licensed (only if more than 2 non-related kids), and there are different requirements. There's also no rating for them, so quality is a crapshoot. It could be a former PhD child education professional who struck out on their own, or it could be a stay-at-home parent with no child development education other than the minimum required for licensing.

And as others have mentioned, the hours are way more predictable. A center won't shut down because 1 teacher is sick, and they won't close down for a week because the homeowner went on vacation.

Hadlock posted:

We've done interviews with one each so far, I don't see why Daycare Centers charge ~50% more (in my area) than In Home.

Day care centers have to pay for the building/maintenance, whereas for in-home that cost just isn't present (it is, but not in the same way). So all else equal (staff, equipment, etc.), a center is going to have a higher cost by default. They get some economies of scale by being able to cram dozens of kids in to the same building, but commercial leases are thousands per month for an equivalent in-home space. Easily a significant portion of the cost to run a day care. (edit: and don't think that it's the teachers that are raising prices, because even though payroll is significant these people are criminally underpaid).

In any case, the education component was a big sell for us. Having credentialed professionals develop and teaching using modern methods was important. We weren't just looking for a place to drop our kids off, but somewhere that focused on development. I'm sure you can get good results at certain in-home providers, but it's a lot harder to find and quantify.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
After easter my 5yo learned that she loves peeling hard boiled eggs.

calandryll posted:

No idea where she learned it from but it is funny when we open her diaper and she yells it's a cupcake. Or one time it was chocolate.
Only one time? :stare:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How do y'all keep your kids from getting up during a diaper change and running full stop into another room dragging a poopy diaper behind them? Like a drat poo poo covered blockade runner with nothing left to lose.

Daughter is increasingly annoyed at being changed, and I can see this happening soon...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

External Organs posted:

How do y'all keep your kids from getting up during a diaper change and running full stop into another room dragging a poopy diaper behind them? Like a drat poo poo covered blockade runner with nothing left to lose.

Daughter is increasingly annoyed at being changed, and I can see this happening soon...

Honestly I'm not very nice about it. Toothbrushing and diaper changes are two things where I'll just pin them into place if I have to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yup, agreed with the above. If you have a changing pad on top of their dresser, keep using that as long as you can, since they're less likely to try to run off the top of that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

Honestly I'm not very nice about it. Toothbrushing and diaper changes are two things where I'll just pin them into place if I have to.

I'm very not nice when it comes to poop cleaning. Changing table has a lil strap that'll be helpful when lil dude starts wiggling with intent and purpose.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I regret getting the changing table with slats behind the changing platform because they are astonishingly good handholds for a baby that wants to flip over onto their tummy.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

As our toddler got bigger we transitioned to mostly using step in diapers (pampers 360?) and it’s been a huge quality of life improvement over trying to get her to lay down for a change.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our daughter was never much trouble.

Our son is a little alligator and death rolls no matter what you do. Especially if he has a really lovely diaper. Doesn't require much, if he gets his hand on anything he can get enough leverage to twist and turn no matter what you do. The straps don't help at all...

Sometimes if I'm wearing my watch he'll be distracted, but sometimes diaper changes require a team effort.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's funny how quickly you go from being excited that they can turn over to thinking "Oh God no, not now!!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you just put them in velcro handcuffs? Kind of serious question? I'm terrified of the "alligator wrestling" phase

Ours is just at 5 months and she lifts her butt and moves her legs to help out at each stage, what y'all are describing sounds awful

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

Can you just put them in velcro handcuffs? Kind of serious question? I'm terrified of the "alligator wrestling" phase

Ours is just at 5 months and she lifts her butt and moves her legs to help out at each stage, what y'all are describing sounds awful

We live in a disposable future. Goin to Costco to get my diapers, baby wipes and zip ties in bulk.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My youngest goes bananas when you try to brush her teeth, the howling sound she makes is something. It isn’t hurting her she is just super mad you’re making her do it how dare you!!

Also this is with the blandest toothpaste we can find and she still says it is “too spicy”

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

So last week was a sleep week from hell and today I realized that my daughter erupted 4 top teeth at once. :eyepop:

Mystery solved!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

priznat posted:

My youngest goes bananas when you try to brush her teeth, the howling sound she makes is something. It isn’t hurting her she is just super mad you’re making her do it how dare you!!

Also this is with the blandest toothpaste we can find and she still says it is “too spicy”

She's just rationalizing after the fact and that's the best reason she could think of.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PerniciousKnid posted:

She's just rationalizing after the fact and that's the best reason she could think of.

I just hope she doesn’t have a boring palate!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I just hope she doesn’t have a boring palate!

All kids start with boring palates that change at you expose them to other foods.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid was eating garlic powder straight off the table today. She kept making us pour more. The sweet potato fries next to the piles of garlic powder were largely ignored.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I have fed a ten month old spicy curry tofu and she destroyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

External Organs posted:

I have fed a ten month old spicy curry tofu and she destroyed it.

My infant ate lots of stuff that she grew out of, now post-toddler she's starting to eat more variety again.