Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I do have to say starstruck is a perfect counter to the most annoying sort of survivor behavior, which is why I think it will be nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Terrible Opinions posted:

I do have to say starstruck is a perfect counter to the most annoying sort of survivor behavior, which is why I think it will be nerfed.

I really hope they don't, let Trickster be good for SOMETHING for god's sake.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Ehh, I don't think body blocking is such a good strat that they'll nerf Starstruck since if the survivor is doing they're pretty much already committing to a mistake. I could be wrong, but usually some one trying to body block is just them giving you a free health state before you hook whoever. At most I imagine they'll reduce how long the Exposed effect lingers when the survivor is outside the TR.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 6, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's a good strat if they can delay you enough that you drop their friend, which is what happens when a fully four or three man SWF team swarms you. So instead now with starstruck they all go down and DC. Had three games like that yesterday alone. It is great.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's something you have to get a feel for, but once you realize you can't reach a hook you should drop whoever you're carrying and start a chase with some one body blocking you. I think survivors grunt something like 10 times before they can escape? At that point though you'll have at least three survivors doing nothing for a bit. If the whole squad's real aggressive about body blocking it can take a bit, but you'll whittle down their resources while they're busy not advancing the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Given the devs and their weird fascination with balancing the game around kill stats, I do get the feeling they'll look at all the survivors suicide rushing a Starstruck hook and go "Well poo poo *this* is killing a lot of people"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a good strat if they can delay you enough that you drop their friend, which is what happens when a fully four or three man SWF team swarms you. So instead now with starstruck they all go down and DC. Had three games like that yesterday alone. It is great.

Here's my hot take: in a game where supernatural killers stalk scared survivors, there should NEVER be a situation where the survivor team intentionally crowds around the killer to body block them.

If that is happening, the devs have failed.

E: except possibly as a desperate last resort, knowing they will die but possibly for a greater cause. But not casually while teabagging around the sluggish killer.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 6, 2021

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's my hot take: in a game where supernatural killers stalk scared survivors, there should NEVER be a situation where the team intentionally crowds around the killer to body block them.

Allowing the killer's M1 to injure multiple survivors in a small arc would be both sensible and would squash 80% of bully plays.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TGLT posted:

It's something you have to get a feel for, but once you realize you can't reach a hook you should drop whoever you're carrying and start a chase with some one body blocking you. I think survivors grunt something like 10 times before they can escape? At that point though you'll have at least three survivors doing nothing for a bit. If the whole squad's real aggressive about body blocking it can take a bit, but you'll whittle down their resources while they're busy not advancing the game.
or I take starstuck and kill all of them. It's pretty cool that way. And yes I'm aware of how you're supposed to play but it's extremely counter intuitive and if even one of them is running break out it becomes more or less impossible to get that first survivor to a hook.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

If you hang around during Starstruck you deserve to be downed. It's same as when you realize the killer isn't going to bite on your Borrowed Time. Just leave the area.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Meanwhile I was trying to do the archive involving hooking a lot of people in the basement, so I was using Doctor with Agitation. A Feng starts teabagging literally within 15 seconds of the match starting, I run her down, into the basement. Soon as I go away she's rescued, I come back and catch her teabagging on the stairs. She jumps into a locker. She is *the only obsession so far in this match*, so I'm like....k, I am totally fine with waiting on you for a full minute and taking my second basement hook. So I do wait it out, she comes out, smack. She disconnects

Why are people like this

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1379464033842126851

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wonder if it will be one miss and you're dead, or if it'll work like being in a cage where each miss reduces your timer.

EDIT: They confirmed in a response that you'll lose a little bit of health each time you miss a skill check. The main downside of this is that you can't give up on hook immediately so that your friend can get the hatch.

EDIT 2: vv Yeah, that response. I guess I should have refreshed before editing.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 6, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
jesus loving christ finally

rydiafan posted:

I wonder if it will be one miss and you're dead, or if it'll work like being in a cage where each miss reduces your timer.

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1379470155437248515

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And of course plenty of people in the comments upset about this because gently caress people who need accessibility options, I don't need them!!!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Huh, so you can't intentionally suicide on second phase now (at least not immediately)? That's a huge plus

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's a plus except when you're the second to last survivor and the killer is barreling directly towards the hatch your friend is standing on.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's also a bummer if you're playing with teammates who are dive-bombing to unsafe unhook you in front of the killer, who then slugs you, when you just desperately want out.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's my hot take: in a game where supernatural killers stalk scared survivors, there should NEVER be a situation where the survivor team intentionally crowds around the killer to body block them.

E: except possibly as a desperate last resort, knowing they will die but possibly for a greater cause. But not casually while teabagging around the sluggish killer.

As someone that plays both survivor and killer, body blocking to get the injured death hook survivor out of the match is loving awesome. Hook body blocking isn't a super common problem and usually the value of the gained health states make it an okay trade (and if it's happening so often, start taking mad grit).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

As someone who had to rebind struggle to mousewheel cause I kept loving up, and still lagged to death a few times while worrying vaguely about Future RSI trouble I was inviting the other times I am good with this change. Mashing sucks

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Agitation, Iron Grasp, Mad Grit, Star Struck

:getin:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

mashing is awful, thank you behaviour

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Otz is currently playing Home Sweet Home, the Thai-influenced DbDlike.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

rydiafan posted:

Agitation, Iron Grasp, Mad Grit, Star Struck

:getin:
And play Trapper so that there's still stuff going on on the map while you're burping the baby

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Otz is currently playing Home Sweet Home, the Thai-influenced DbDlike.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva

FISH: Survive

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Home Sweet Home's pace seems a bit too quick, or maybe the animations are just too fast. But the game seems kinda cool.

Except for (or especially?) the GIANT COWBOY HATS.

e: lol I take this back, this poo poo makes SWF sweat squads look fair and balanced.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 6, 2021

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

His first game looked like if you booted up DbD then got blinded and pallet stunned for 75% of the game. gently caress that noise.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also every survivor has sprint burst and the whole game is on fast-forward so you need the snap reflexes of a mongoose on crack.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
One day, the tyranny of Dead by Daylight's just-good-enough spaghetti code will be dethroned to a competent contender.

But that is not the game to do it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I had my first game as the wraith and got one kill, I’ll take it. It seemed like the survivors were intentionally blowing skill checks on generators at one point, is that a strategy?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Only if the killer is Freddy, failing skillchecks wakes you up. Either they were bad or they were creatively trying to annoy you/each other

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Romero posted:

I had my first game as the wraith and got one kill, I’ll take it. It seemed like the survivors were intentionally blowing skill checks on generators at one point, is that a strategy?
I guess you could use it to make a noise and try to lure the killer, but it seems like you'd prefer to do that by leaping in and out of a window or something. Also, a lot of people are just dogshit awful at skill checks.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

DeathChicken posted:

Only if the killer is Freddy, failing skillchecks wakes you up. Either they were bad or they were creatively trying to annoy you/each other

One of them kept running the same loop indefinitely which it felt impossible to hit them with once I uncloaked so that might be it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"Hmmm, people have asked for the ability to just hold a button instead of mashing for ages now, I'VE GOT IT, skill checks instead!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

John Romero posted:

One of them kept running the same loop indefinitely which it felt impossible to hit them with once I uncloaked so that might be it
I think Wraith, more than almost any other 115% killer, needs to be extremely willing to break off chases that won't give an immediate benefit. He's just too much better at the initial engagement while lacking anything special to do as Machete Man.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The maps are unfortunately chock full of areas that, even if you can technically catch up to a survivor eventually, will make you waste so much time doing so you'll lose half your gens for one down. You just have to learn which ones they are and abandon that survivor for having gotten to a safe zone.

Notable ones are the house with the window and balcony on Haddonfield, and...well, pretty much the entirety of Gideon's. That map blows

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boy I wish I could end up in these games where the survivors are cleaning up gens instead of getting absolutely dragged by the killer and aimlessly wasting time. I've had games where I was the only player that finished a generator at all, or I've kept a killer busy for two minutes and nothing got done.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Man, on one hand you lose a lot playing adept killers, on the other you come out so much better at playing a killer by the time you're done meta perks start to feel like Leonidas' gear at the end of 300, heavy and weakening.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's funny how big the difficulty gap between some of them is too.

Leatherface? lol

Legion? Not too bad.

Plague has a rough time because of chaser with her power.

Hag? You might as well expect to play perkless with all hexes.

Nurse? Oh boy.

Then survivor side of course you have David's adept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Adept Killers are great since they get harder as you rank up - it requires a merciless victory instead of three or four kills. I do think the forum has gotten a little stuck on how good survivors can be, but escaping versus a merciless victory is night and day. Even Adept David or Lauri can luck out with a hatch or someone else looping. I'm back in the reds after a few months off of DBD and I do not know how I would've gotten any kills playing default kit Deathslinger or Pig.