Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There are actually two skeletons, and both are VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!

there may be a third skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the new hot space game is no mans sky expeditions mode

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Murders ruthlessly in every other game they play but cries if someone talks about being mean to the funny skeleton man

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna be mean to Papyrus. Prepare your tear ducts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Undertale's a pretty ok game and I didn't have a problem not playing it again when it asked me not to

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The fandom thing is weird, and I also tend to fall on the side of "gently caress it, enjoy the thing." I worked on the Pickle Rick episode for a hot minute, so I have it on my portfolio, and I get only 2 reactions to it. One group are like "OH AWESOME" and the other are legitimately annoyed about it. It's very interesting. But not that interesting.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna be mean to Papyrus. Prepare your tear ducts.
I don't know its a pretty good font

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Finished Vanquish today. Took less than six hours total, and that was with me dying a bunch of times. I don't think that there are many shooters that are faster, I tried to play it on PS3 when it came out and it was unplayable to me because of the low frame rate. Played it PC now and apart from scripting errors were I had to manually restart checkpoints and some wonky looking textures, it was a real fun game. Get it on sale or whatever.

Games finished this year:

Paper Mario Origami King
Bravely Default
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Prey
Vanquish

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
All I know about undertale is that about three or four of my friends said stuff ranging from 'it's the best game I've ever played' to 'it's really fantastic' and I played it for about 20 minutes and it didn't seem interesting at all so I gave up. I mean... I want to play 'the best game ever made' but I didn't see it when I played undertale. I'm entirely unaware of the fanbase, too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a nice, very wholesome little game that does some clever meta things with its narrative towards the end. It also has lovely character designs and music which people have gone wild with in largely cool ways.

It's very much like Nier Automata in that way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you gave up one of the best takes on a jRPGeque formula after 20 minutes but I played Fallout 4 for over a hundred hours and that's one of the worst games I ever played and I knew it sucked in the first two hours. i bet you go to the doctor just because youre injured or feel sick lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Khanstant posted:

you gave up one of the best takes on a jRPGeque formula after 20 minutes

They didn't say anything about hylics 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Previously on Persona 5 Strikers:

New Game+ attempt:

Apparently Okinawa soba doesn't use "buckwheat soba" but they have a special governmental exemption to keep calling it soba. Instead they use flat udon noodles, which is exactly what I was able to get lol. Subbed shrimp for fishcake like last time, replaced the braised pork belly with sweet Italian sausage (this was good), the thin chicken broth with dashi was the right lightness for this

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Macaluso posted:

I get tired of the "the fandom ruined X" thing, because... they didn't. You can easily not engage with the bad fan thing you don't like. The fanart alone that things like Steven Universe, Undertale, Gravity Falls, is great cause there are A TON of amazing artists I would never have found.

You're completely right, I retract my statement. There's plenty of cool rear end undertale fan art including this picture of napstablook that i am DEFINITELY NOT posting for bingo

and I very much enjoyed the game despite the fact that I watched the genocide route on Youtube and toby fox knew i was gonna do that and made fun of me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Allow me to be the first to say, “blunderfail” (instead of “undertale”, the actual name of the game)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How does one figure out if they’re part of a fandom?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the dark souls games, am I a dark souls fan?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1379602342744571906?s=20

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

They should do Bloodborne 99

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i am ready

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

the new hot space game is no mans sky expeditions mode

Dang thats some high praise for Subverse

Weedle posted:

i am ready

:sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh no. my first big decision point: subs or dubs?? which one better enhances and immerses me into the experience

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Weedle posted:

oh no. my first big decision point: subs or dubs?? which one better enhances and immerses me into the experience

The dub is great

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

redreader posted:

All I know about undertale is that about three or four of my friends said stuff ranging from 'it's the best game I've ever played' to 'it's really fantastic' and I played it for about 20 minutes and it didn't seem interesting at all so I gave up. I mean... I want to play 'the best game ever made' but I didn't see it when I played undertale. I'm entirely unaware of the fanbase, too.

Idk man, it I wanted to get someone into Undertale I’d ask them if they were on board for a game of corny dad jokes, not that it’s some transcendent form of media so imho your friends did you dirty. Also the first twenty minutes (The Ruins) is probably the weakest part cause it’s a proof of concept and becomes a much stronger game once you’re out of tutorial zone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this joke gets less funny each time they do it

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Weedle posted:

I went with subs purely because it has a Japanese setting and characters, but by most accounts the dub is pretty good if that doesn't matter to you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Weedle posted:

i thought subs would be more authentic at first but the dub actors are all amazing, i switched to ENG voices after the first story sequence

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Idk man, it I wanted to get someone into Undertale I’d ask them if they were on board for a game of corny dad jokes, not that it’s some transcendent form of media so imho your friends did you dirty. Also the first twenty minutes (The Ruins) is probably the weakest part cause it’s a proof of concept and becomes a much stronger game once you’re out of tutorial zone.

Yeah as someone who is a big fan of Undertale, the ruins are not great and it sucks it can drive people away because the rest of the game is leagues above that. Well, depending on your tolerance for the next like 2 hours after that being a series of nonstop puns and jokes about spaghetti or whatever.

It's also the part of the game where you'll run into the most repeat enemies. There's only like 3 or 4 sets of enemies and you run into them a bit too much, especially with how there's a lot of walking around trap doors and stuff. So I can see it being hard for players to get through there. Once you're at the end of the Ruins the game picks up, and once you're in Snowden the game only goes up from there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i would accept the medicine from this school nurse. i am just saying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah as someone who is a big fan of Undertale, the ruins are not great and it sucks it can drive people away because the rest of the game is leagues above that. Well, depending on your tolerance for the next like 2 hours after that being a series of nonstop puns and jokes about spaghetti or whatever.

It's also the part of the game where you'll run into the most repeat enemies. There's only like 3 or 4 sets of enemies and you run into them a bit too much, especially with how there's a lot of walking around trap doors and stuff. So I can see it being hard for players to get through there. Once you're at the end of the Ruins the game picks up, and once you're in Snowden the game only goes up from there.

yeah you'll generally know if undertale is for you by the time you hit sans and papyrus. the ruins aren't great (dull tileset, so-so music, too many random encounters) and toriel is kind of a stodgy bore, but snowdin and the skeleton bros. are a much closer fit for the game's overall aesthetic

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this dub really is great and very charming. the art and music are great too. i wasn’t expecting to be wowed by the presentation but i am

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Weedle posted:

this dub really is great and very charming. the art and music are great too. i wasn’t expecting to be wowed by the presentation but i am

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The cool thing is that you can seamlessly switch between subs and dubs in that game with no hiccups, in fact you can do it even between lines of dialogue in a scene lol.

I did play it with subs but I did check out the dubs for each story at least once... Finding out that Hijiyama was Ichiban Kasuga's VA made perfect sense.

Also the combat barks don't get subbed so you might want to play a couple battles with the dub to hear what they say there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"I'm acting like an amateur..."

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Weedle posted:

i am ready

hell yeah, also i appreciate this camera angle

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
all this talk of 13 Sentinels makes me want to play another VN......

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

428 Shibuya Scramble

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I started that Werewolf the Apocalypse VN set in Poland, I should get back to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looper posted:

hell yeah, also i appreciate this camera angle