Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The movies don't just neglect to but clearly actively, desperately avoid setting up any broader stakes and context.

With the benefit of hindsight, it’s clear that they did this in TFA because they still didn’t know where the story was going. Then TLJ declined to really expand on any of it beyond “this is big trouble for the whole galaxy, everyone is helpless, no further questions please”.

I know it’s been memed to death, but we should still take a moment to appreciate that RotS gave us such a brilliant, succinct summation of JJ/Disney’s world building with the line “Somehow, Palpatine has returned.” This is not a mystery being established, this is a middle finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The United States posted:

I can't quite make out what she's saying but she definitely sounds dismissive of the senators/senate?

Yep: "not ALL the senators think I'm insane. Or maybe they do. I don't care."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1379135290787258368?s=20

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

It's odd that Tatooine is so far away from Hutt Space on this map when the fact that it's a non-Republic planet ruled by the Hutts is such an important plot-point in the prequels.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pretty sure that map is from the old canon and they moved a bunch of stuff around for the Disneyverse.

That said tag yourself, I'm Utegetu Neb

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's pretty much in the same spot in the new maps. Weirdly enough, neither of them line up with Attack of the Clones, where Tatooine is shown to be in the northwest part of the galaxy, much closer to where Hutt Space is traditionally shown to be.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If clones tells us anything, it's that you can't't trust star wars maps

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Return of the Placemat

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

We're extremely fortunate that they pointed out the beard.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The idea of a 2d map of a galaxy makes no sense

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

You're supposed to rotate it slowly as you look at it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

The maps don't need to be sensible because the people in SW don't need to understand maps.

They have droids for that.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A 2d map of the earth doesnt make sense

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Schwarzwald posted:

The maps don't need to be sensible because the people in SW don't need to understand maps.

They have droids for that.

That explains a lot when you think about it. Like why there's relatively little writing, computer screen or otherwise. Why write something down to remember or learn how to hack a Death Star when your super-computer on legs can remember it for you? Maybe Star Wars is kinda like a dystopian version of the Culture where the robots basically run everything only instead of allowing us to live in 24/7 orgies the robots are all owned by Capitalists who automated everyone out of a job. Heck maybe that's why despite having near infinite resources and god-like technology the Star Wars galaxy has such omnipresent crushing poverty. Capitalism finally found a way to replace wage earning workers with robots like it's always wanted to and so people are desperate enough to do things like sell themselves into slavery.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

A 2d map of the earth doesnt make sense
Sure it does! We all exist on the surface of the earth (plz don't @ me hollow earthers)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

galagazombie posted:

That explains a lot when you think about it. Like why there's relatively little writing, computer screen or otherwise.

Widespread illiteracy in Star Wars is a pretty common fan theory, and it makes sense with how much they seem to rely on oral history. information is conveyed either in person or via hologram, so when nobody's around to tell it, widespread knowledge like the Jedi become myths.

Hell, most of their buttons aren't even labelled - they just have little pictograms.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luke and Han, at least, can read.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Everyone seems to understand quite a number of languages though. There’s probably some sort of education system.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Unless someone can remind me of a line in the OT, no human can understand the details of a beepboop droid beyond inference. Luke's more nuanced responses to artoo are set up with a shot of the translation screen. The sequels immediately break that but I dont really care because it's as out there as han understanding chewie

Anakin of course could kinda understand but could speak perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibahqzkwvXk

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Star Wars isn't hard science so don't throw this bullshit in there. The map is 2d, it's fine. Everyone can understand most things - thats how it is.

Go to Star Trek if you want that (altho Discovery is throwing that all out).

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Martman posted:

Sure it does! We all exist on the surface of the earth (plz don't @ me hollow earthers)

The godzilla thread is THAT-a-way!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Unless someone can remind me of a line in the OT, no human can understand the details of a beepboop droid beyond inference. Luke's more nuanced responses to artoo are set up with a shot of the translation screen. The sequels immediately break that but I dont really care because it's as out there as han understanding chewie

He defenitely says, "are you alright? are you alright? luuuke. luuuke."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The fact there are so many versions of the galaxy map and they basically pass the baton of "canonicity" as they add planets from the next star wars Content feels like a clue as to how much they factor in the films. Having to give luke's xwing hyperdrive in empire diminishes the importance of cartography in star wars imo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

We're extremely fortunate that they pointed out the beard.

To be fair, some people lack the ability to grow one and might be confused about it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Everyone seems to understand quite a number of languages though. There’s probably some sort of education system.

So did most ppl irl antiquity and medieval periods

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Everyone being illiterate would also explain why they keep renaming planets.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blood Boils posted:

So did most ppl irl antiquity and medieval periods

Even into the early modern period and in a few places today. The modern standard of everyone in a countries borders speaking a single mutually intelligible language is actually a very recent thing and it often had to be enforced at gunpoint. Before the French Revolution for instance most people in France didn't speak what we would today call French (which is actually just the Parisians forcing everyone to speak Parisian) and spoke any of a half dozen mutually unintelligible languages like Breton, Occitan, Provencal, and Alsatian. Not to mention the segregated communities like the Jewish population who spoke their own languages in their own settlements/ghettos. So one was a hypothetical smuggler named Le' Han du' Sol, it would be expected that he would be able to speak multiple languages regardless of his literacy.

YaketySass posted:

Everyone being illiterate would also explain why they keep renaming planets.
Which works perfectly with this. Greece for instance when it gained independence from the Ottoman Empire tried to expunge any hint of the Turkish language in the country. This meant that they went through the names of every large city and podunk town and renamed them if they weren't significantly "Greek". Obviously Tatooine is a name of Huttese etymology that radical nationalists expunged in favor of the ancient title "Jakku" after Leia killed Jabba and ended Hutt rule.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 7, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

We simply need a Mandalorian in every classroom to keep are schools safe

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just be glad Carano isn't the teacher.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DeimosRising posted:

The galaxy is a thick disc. At such a large scale, you're just showing general orientation of major locations, and a 2D map is just fine. For sector maps, you'd definitely want a 3D representation with X,Y, and Z axes like the map that came with Flashpoint: Brak Sector back in the West End Games D6 days.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vintersorg posted:

Star Wars isn't hard science so don't throw this bullshit in there. The map is 2d, it's fine. Everyone can understand most things - thats how it is.

Go to Star Trek if you want that (altho Discovery is throwing that all out).

All the maps in the actual movies are 3d. The 2d map is an imposition of the limitations of modern placemat technology onto data rendered unintelligible

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ingmar terdman posted:

in a cut scene Anakin can speak beepboops

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

According to placemat lore, droid speech is just binary run through a vocoder, so understanding it probably just requires being a huge fuckin' nerd.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I did like in Rebels when Chopper's speech wasn't as garbled and you could actually make out the words he was speaking - he flat-out says "I have a bad feeling about this" at one point

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Vinylshadow posted:

I did like in Rebels when Chopper's speech wasn't as garbled and you could actually make out the words he was speaking - he flat-out says "I have a bad feeling about this" at one point

there was also the time he said "get to the me" that was good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know what galaxy Star Wars is in but in typical spiral galaxies there are millions of stars in the halo (outside of the 2d disk)

War hammer 40k gets this wrong too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

We simply need a Mandalorian in every classroom to keep are schools safe
Give the kids magic blaster proof mandalorian armor imo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

euphronius posted:

I don’t know what galaxy Star Wars is in but in typical spiral galaxies there are millions of stars in the halo (outside of the 2d disk)

Warhammer 40k just doesn't give a poo poo about making sense at all. The few times it's tried to actually make sense it's all fallen apart extremely quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

euphronius posted:

Similar to what DeimosRising pointed out about how in the movies themselves all galactic maps are 3D, In AotC when Obi-Wan is trying to find Kamino he points to the place on the map where Dooku erased it and we see it's not even in the Galaxy proper. It's in a mini satellite galaxy like the real life Magellic Clouds that orbit the Milky Way. And then of course there's the famous final scene of ESB where Luke looks out at the Galaxy from way above the galactic disc.