Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, he knew exactly what kind of film D&D was and he chewed that scenery up. It was such a glorious performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I've only seen that "blood rain from the sky" bit but based on that alone he was probably having a good time

As opposed to josstice league reshoots

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never saw him in anything other than this and watchmen. What else should I watch to get Ironed

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

2house2fly posted:

I clicked the link for this dumbass video before realising what it was. It had this in the recommended videos though, which looks kind of interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciwO9zUYIE

E: oh no he's devoting a lot of screentime to rebutting Maggie Mae Fish. she's living rent free in your head, man! let it go!

She made that as a response to Fish's ludicrously bad faith video, so that's not so strange. i understand part two will be up in a few weeks as well, but that first video is absolutely worth watching.

If you got 90 minutes to kill I recommend worms hole video that pretty much just deals with the checklist of every common criticisms against his movies, very enjoyable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4ZF2HZLRs

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

I never saw him in anything other than this and watchmen. What else should I watch to get Ironed

You've never seen The Lion King? Or Die Hard With A Vengeance?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blood Boils posted:

I've only seen that "blood rain from the sky" bit but based on that alone he was probably having a good time

As opposed to josstice league reshoots

Besides what others have said he's also really good as a side character in Ridley Scott's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (another really good long flick that was butchered for its theatrical release) and, shudder, Eragon.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ALFbrot posted:

Lion King I guess

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Empress Brosephine posted:

Reversal Of Fortune(got him his Oscar)
Moonlighting
Dead Ringers
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Damage
The Mission
The French Lieutenants Daughter

All fantastic!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember him in The Merchant of Venice but can't remember that adaptation (or the play) at all.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ALFbrot posted:

Irons should have won in DHWAV.

Or at the very least they should have kept the original ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GqY-M5fE4

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Ray Fisher is a drat good looking man. :swoon:

He also got insanely jacked to play a character you basically never see without CGI. I really hope he goes places.

My wife pointed out that his theatre background was probably a massive boon playing a mostly CGI character. You get used to using very expressive body language, telling a story with gestures that the back row needs to see. You get used to acting with nothing there but what your mind can create. How he moves as Cyborg is actually really distinct and expressive, telling you a lot about his journey, even when he's standing still. Acting through CGI or make up or masks or whatever is always super impressive to me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

PeterCat posted:

Irons should have won in DHWAV.

Or at the very least they should have kept the original ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GqY-M5fE4
This is why Marky Marks SHOOTER is so good, they went all in.

https://youtu.be/k4mdUDV4Ims

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

How he moves as Cyborg is actually really distinct and expressive, telling you a lot about his journey, even when he's standing still.
I was really struck by the physicality of his performance. I felt like some of the movements were slightly unsteady, but he definitely felt rooted and like he Took Up Space with the heft of his body.

Iono if some of the unsteadyness was to communicate his disability, but it was very engaging.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I was really struck by the physicality of his performance. I felt like some of the movements were slightly unsteady, but he definitely felt rooted and like he Took Up Space with the heft of his body.

Iono if some of the unsteadyness was to communicate his disability, but it was very engaging.

I liked the idea that he was perfectly able to use the body, but wasn't comfortable with it. The awkwardness and unsteadiness tended to be linked to being overwhelmed emotionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I never watched that one but, at the time before its release, there seemed to be a certain perversity of setting a very “kids” movie in the BVS setting. I didn’t expect it would be standard operating procedure from here on out.

The fact that it's also set in Philly is very distracting, just made me wonder what the movie would have been like had it been made by M. Night.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really liked Fisher's brief turn as Stepford Victor as well, in the motherbox at the end. He's so emotional all through the movie and then right at the end he pulls off an uncanny valley bland pod person that really hammers home how human Cyborg really still is

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

2house2fly posted:

I really liked Fisher's brief turn as Stepford Victor as well, in the motherbox at the end. He's so emotional all through the movie and then right at the end he pulls off an uncanny valley bland pod person that really hammers home how human Cyborg really still is

Reject false nostalgia!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Thanks for dropping in with a 20-minute video I’m not gonna watch and nothing else.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:fuckoff:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

2house2fly posted:

CyborgVision

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

2house2fly posted:

I forget if I was linked to it from this very thread, but here's an edit someone did to put ZSJL Supes in the ending of Shazam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6McoIeLfw

Lmao, that would have owned.

I loving love Shazam even if it is a hot mess. It has powerful '90s Superhero Movie energy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Agent Rush posted:

I remember that episode, Starfire assumes it's because he's part robot and Cyborg essentially says "Yeah, sure, let's go with that".

Eh, it makes sense if you consider he's much more visibly bionic than he is black, and that experience likely has caused people from a community that he was once a part of to become leery of him; and there's a lot more african-americans than there are cyborgs.

Apparently the full episode has a surprisingly nuanced take on it, with the Titans having an ally who from all accounts isn't a bad person, and even protects Starfire in a fight, but won't stop being racist and at best considers her the exception to the rule- and the Titans tell him to gently caress off in the end, because that's not acceptable, especially for someone as kind and sensitive as Starfire. (incidentally DC has also completely missed the point of why people like cartoon Starfire too)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, it makes sense if you consider he's much more visibly bionic than he is black, and that experience likely has caused people from a community that he was once a part of to become leery of him; and there's a lot more african-americans than there are cyborgs.

Apparently the full episode has a surprisingly nuanced take on it, with the Titans having an ally who from all accounts isn't a bad person, and even protects Starfire in a fight, but won't stop being racist and at best considers her the exception to the rule- and the Titans tell him to gently caress off in the end, because that's not acceptable, especially for someone as kind and sensitive as Starfire. (incidentally DC has also completely missed the point of why people like cartoon Starfire too)

OG animated Teen Titans Starfire (not Teen Titans Go! Starfire) is goodness and positivity stored in a mustard-shaped bottle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the full episode has a surprisingly nuanced take on it, with the Titans having an ally who from all accounts isn't a bad person, and even protects Starfire in a fight, but won't stop being racist and at best considers her the exception to the rule
I remember when JL did the episode with Not The JSA and their GL was like "Jon Stewart, You're a Credit to Your Race".

The TT one was more "Hey, you're one of the good ones! I mean you know what those firehairs are all like when left to themselves... you've seen the filth they live in"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/notsofiacoppola/status/1379509976033468417?s=19

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Thanks for dropping in with a 20-minute video I’m not gonna watch and nothing else.

Lmao, I'm happy you are mad over something like this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

khwarezm posted:

why

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s actually astonishing how textbook ‘white liberal’ the WB team are, and just how baffled they were by this black leftist. It’s like a more trenchant Get Out sequel crossed over into reality.

Like, you can see the precise thought process where they genuinely believed Whedon’s more orthodox bigotry was the only issue. Everyone else was ‘just’ trying to teach white children that blacks can be friendly! (I worked for Obama!)

"The white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man...The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have." - Malcolm X

"I can't be a racist! My ex-wife is black and my son is mixed-race!" - Geoff Johns

He probably should've said he'd have voted for Obama for a third term if he could.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:wow:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

khwarezm posted:

"U mad bro" and other lovely drive by catch- phrases add nothing to the conversation other than to inflame tempers. Please don't do it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Please don't take the bait and get in slapfights.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

"U mad bro" and other lovely drive by catch- phrases add nothing to the conversation other than to inflame tempers. Please don't do it.

Booyah

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It also makes more sense for Cyborg to act like a teenager when he's around teenagers, and implicitly the oldest of the team rather than one of the youngest. The Titans are shown as friends and peers, who hang out and kill time with each other, while the Justice League are an extremely different dynamic.

FilthyImp posted:

I remember when JL did the episode with Not The JSA and their GL was like "Jon Stewart, You're a Credit to Your Race".

The TT one was more "Hey, you're one of the good ones! I mean you know what those firehairs are all like when left to themselves... you've seen the filth they live in"

Pretty much, yeah, with the alt universe GL (long story) being literally from the Silver Age, where that remark would have been meant as a genuine compliment. Both of them have a subtle but important lesson that racism doesn't just come from cartoon villains, and it isn't always expressed negatively, but it's still racism and it still makes the recipient rightly uncomfortable.

A lot of takes on Cyborg get tripped up by the, well, cyborg thing, but again it's important to note that he's also disabled. Yes, his prothesis gives him superpowers, but it's still a prothesis, an external attachment to his body that he's entirely dependent on to survive. He's basically a better-intentioned Robocop.

Does remind me that the Doom Patrol actually show up in the Teen Titans cartoon, the only representatives seen of adult superheroes, and when first seeing Robotman, Cyborg specifically points out their similarities and apparently that Robotman was a prototype for the same technologies used for him. Which seems to make sense as to why Cyborg's in the live action Doom Patrol show. (I presume mainly though because Beast Boy would be too taxing on the budget)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Beast boy is in the live action titans show

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyborg give Samus back her plasma beam, she needs it to kill Metroid Prime

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Snyder doing a meditative and atmospheric Metroid movie would be cool.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Beast boy is in the live action titans show

And the crossover doom patrol episode

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

Snyder doing a meditative and atmospheric Metroid movie would be cool.

I wonder what sort of games Snyder plays, lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

teagone posted:

I wonder what sort of games Snyder plays, lol.

He did an interview with Ken Levine before Watchmen came out where they started talking about video game movies, and he mentioned being excited to play The Force Unleashed with his son.