Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ccs posted:

Wait did they have this idea way back in Batman Beyond or they just designed two parents as redheads and gave their kids both black hair? Unless there was some crazy planning ahead at the start, that is a pretty funny design mistake.
I think it may have been planned for the start. As the creators even said that Bruce had already found out about the Terry being his biological son thing around the middle of the series. He just kept it to himself, as he did not feel like things should change between him and Terry, and out of respect for Warren.

Vandar posted:

Isn't that just fanon?

No the creator even said it. They got back on better terms by the time the series started however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

It's probably just a coincidence and not anything they really meant to hint at.

Tuxedo Mask, staring into space as the realization hits him: "Wait a minute...neither I nor Sailor Moon have pink hair...something's not right here..." :v:

The manga/anime series Saiki K has a thing where the main character is a super powerful psychic with pink hair in a world where people have normal hair color. So in order to fit in he used his psychic powers to change everyone in the world's DNA so that weird hair colors are naturally occurring. (The premise of the series is that the main character is incredibly powerful but doesn't actually want to use his powers to do anything but live a normal life with the conflict being him dealing with weirdos in school/at home.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So, Mob Psycho 100. Got it.

(:v:)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its basically if Mob was at 100% all of the time but completely chill about it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7wbwkzNS0

Ehhhhhh. They made an attempt at an art style, but something about the entire trailer feels off to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan Tudyk makes me wish more people would just try and have a performance as the Joker rather than go for Hamill soundalike.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, hopefully they end it one epilogue before the comic does. As for the style, that beginning part with Batman and Harvey in the warehouse looked kinda bad, but I thought the rest looked pretty nice.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s no Tim Sale art style that’s for sure. Shadows need to be all black, a void needs to be swallowing half the screen. Movement is also very minimal.

Plus the way Sale did faces is really great, this has none of that. Oh well, can’t say I expected any different.

Let’s just take a moment to appreciate Sale’s art.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 7, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ccs posted:

It’s no Tim Sale art style that’s for sure. Shadows need to be all black, a void needs to be swallowing half the screen.

Plus the way Sale did faces is really great, this has none of that. Oh well, can’t say I expected any different.

Let’s just take a moment to appreciate Sale’s art.

I absolutely love heavy shadows like Sale and Mignola (and to a lesser extent, Kirby) do. I would love to see it in motion, but I'm also not sure how well it'd translate over? Still, they could at least try.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

catlord posted:

I absolutely love heavy shadows like Sale and Mignola (and to a lesser extent, Kirby) do. I would love to see it in motion, but I'm also not sure how well it'd translate over? Still, they could at least try.

Check out this clip from In Darkness Dwells: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwDCV41zN8

Of course that’s from Madhouse, one of the best animation studios on the planet (or at least it was back when that was made.)

Also anything from Takeshi Koike like Fujiko Mine or Redline.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ccs posted:

Check out this clip from In Darkness Dwells: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwDCV41zN8

Of course that’s from Madhouse, one of the best animation studios on the planet (or at least it was back when that was made.)

Also anything from Takeshi Koike like Fujiko Mine or Redline.

Ooh, ok, yeah. I was thinking that Sale or Mignola might become a bit of a mess in motion, but looking at that I think you could probably put some more shadows in there and it'd still work great.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mignola looks pretty good animated and in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q-BtUye51s

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

Mignola looks pretty good animated and in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q-BtUye51s

Holy poo poo, that looks good. Ok, I'm well sold on seeing more of that in animation.

Also, holy poo poo, Paul Giamatti. That just feels right with Mignola.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

catlord posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks good. Ok, I'm well sold on seeing more of that in animation.

Also, holy poo poo, Paul Giamatti. That just feels right with Mignola.

It's a fun little thing, it's about twenty minutes long. It was meant as a pilot but didn't get picked up.

If you look around you can find the full thing pretty easily.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I liked Gotham Knight a lot. Even the story with bishonen Bruce was fun to watch. Makes me want DC to put out more anthology type stuff for the greater universe without strictly sticking to one style.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights was a lot of fun. I hoped after that and Gotham Knights they'd give us more anthology stuff but nope.

They could do a fun Amazon based anthology film, I think.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like every franchise only gets one anime compilation film. Star Wars is getting its due soon. You'd think DC could drop the cash to get an anime studio like TMS to do all their animated adaptions but I suppose they've figured out the less competent studios elsewhere are a better deal and most people don't notice animation quality enough for it to matter. Gotham Knight was ostensibly connected to the Nolan Batman films so I think that's why it got the bigger budget.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, that trailer is disappointing. Oh, well. Just what I expected from DC.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watch JL: Gods and Monsters last night. It....was actually pretty good. I was surprised, especially since it wasn't an attempt at an adaptation.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Watch JL: Gods and Monsters last night. It....was actually pretty good. I was surprised, especially since it wasn't an attempt at an adaptation.

I liked Gods and Monsters a whole bunch and I'm still disappointed they never revisited that universe.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I'd say it's one of the better (best?) DCAU movies. It tried something a little bit different and succeeded with story and had pretty good characters, voice acting and design. Especially compared to the likes of Justice Society: World War 2 I've watched yesterday and it was just plain mediocre and utterly forgettable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vandar posted:

I liked Gods and Monsters a whole bunch and I'm still disappointed they never revisited that universe.

It set itself up very well, too. I'd love to see them throw down with Highfather in a legit fight. None of the other DCAU offshoots ever delved into that possibility. Also, lol that a DC animated project made me sympathize with Darkseid of all people. I guess the one thing they'd have to get around if they kept it on Earth would be having offed 90% of the DC universe's super scientist contingent. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

catlord posted:

Mignola designed mr freeze for the animated series

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Mignola designed mr freeze for the animated series

IIRC he also did some designs for Batman Beyond.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was a couple animated Hellboy movies with Ron Perlman doing the voice, I haven't seen them in well over a decade so I don't remember how closely they followed the comics aesthetic, but I think they were pretty close.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Mignola designed Disney's Atlantis, which isn't very good, but is definitely designed by Mignola

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Karma Tornado posted:

Mignola designed Disney's Atlantis, which isn't very good, but is definitely designed by Mignola

Atlantis was basically a sequel to The Black Cauldron, in that it was very pretty, but also a terrible movie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Atlantis a lot as a kid, and I don't really know why it didn't do well. Maybe the emotional beats weren't strong enough? Maybe it didn't dive deep enough into its premise? Maybe it was too derivative of Stargate? Maybe there were just better movies that came out at around the same time?

The Black Cauldron I think was okay, but I can see how it didn't take off. It lacks a lot of what appealed about the original books, and apparently a lot of the original vision for the movie was edited out, so maybe it would've been better. Probably not much better though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Black Cauldron did so bad that at the time Disney execs seriously considered if they should stop making feature length animated films.

Their next film was Little loving Mermaid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I've seen The Black Cauldron twice in my life, and I liked it, and honestly I think I like the aesthetic even more now (the Horned King and the Cauldron Born are, frankly, loving awesome), but it was also one that I don't think anybody I knew had. I saw it at like, after school programs and poo poo.

I only saw Atlantis once, but it was very similar. I remember liking it but, well, I like Stargate so...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, he didn't write the story (that part is at least partly JOSS loving WHEDON), but the character designs and visual look of Atlantis were A++ and 100% Mignola:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Black Cauldron did so bad that at the time Disney execs seriously considered if they should stop making feature length animated films.

Their next film was Little loving Mermaid.

Actually there were two films Disney made between Black Cauldron and Little Mermaid, those being The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company, both of which were reasonable successes financially and critically(even if the former did get somewhat stomped by An American Tail), those were the films that convinced Disney to keep going with theatrical animation and the latter in particular was what convinced Disney to give animated musicals a bigger role again

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Justice League Unlimited is now on HBOmax if that didn't get mentioned earlier. So I think all the good DC cartoons are now on HBOmax.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

Justice League Unlimited is now on HBOmax if that didn't get mentioned earlier. So I think all the good DC cartoons are now on HBOmax.
No Zeta Project, No Batman Sub Zero :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The United States posted:

No Zeta Project, No Batman Sub Zero :colbert:

I said "good cartoons" not mediocre ones.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Skwirl posted:

I said "good cartoons" not mediocre ones.
Also no Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Karma Tornado posted:

That's so weird. Just before I opened the SA app I was scrolling on Twitter and came across this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/xomayoxo/status/1393476762831446016?s=19

Proof of some Grand Plan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

That's so weird. Just before I opened the SA app I was scrolling on Twitter and came across this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/xomayoxo/status/1393476762831446016?s=19

Proof of some Grand Plan.

I also thought of Atlantis for the first time in years today. Thought it was in the context of "explaining" the story of Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water by describing Laputa Castle in the Sky and then going, "Whoops, got my notes mixed up. That was Disney's Atlantis." :v:

It's a day of serendipity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vandar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7wbwkzNS0

Ehhhhhh. They made an attempt at an art style, but something about the entire trailer feels off to me.

Digging this trailer up because this is the first I watched it and I can't stop hearing the Unsolved Mysteries theme in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just saw a commercial on Hulu for a stop motion MODOK show starring Patton Oswalt. How did I not know about this?! :psyduck: