Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think you may not have 14.4.2, becaue I've got a different layout that revolves around the "Sync Library" button." It then gives me automatic downloads, but it's like... I don't want Apple to touch my dang MP3s w/ this Sync Library feature.

i am on 14.4.2 and i have “sync library” enabled. i guess you have to have that turned on for the automatic downloads feature to be available. it’s fine though. i have a mix of apple music and personal mp3s and it‘s never messed them up or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Weedle posted:

i am on 14.4.2 and i have “sync library” enabled. i guess you have to have that turned on for the automatic downloads feature to be available. it’s fine though. i have a mix of apple music and personal mp3s and it‘s never messed them up or anything

Noted! Thank you for clarifying and the insight. Worst case, it'll be like the 5th time I restored this phone since I got it. I had some funkiness w/ the Other being over 20GB that didn't resolve until finally I wiped out my music and then reloaded from scratch.

Is anyone else really annoyed that the Library button is so far in the music app? And it doesn't seem like you can reposition it.

What I'm saying is I hate that Apple so wants me to stream when I have 200GB of jams right on the drat phone!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah i wish i could just have the old library tabs like artists, albums, songs, etc. instead of having all that stuff crammed into nested menus in a single tab. i use an app called “marvis” though that acts as an alternative front end for apple music and it’s really good. the interface is totally customizable and i set mine up to work pretty similarly to the classic music app but with a few quality of life improvements. i mostly just use AM as a convenient alternative to maintaining an mp3 library and rarely engage with any of the algorithmic recommendation stuff, so it’s really nice to be able to tuck all that stuff away and just focus on my library. it really is a colossal step up, interface-wise, from every other music streaming app which all seem to have some bullshit that annoys me constantly

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/marvis-pro/id1447768809

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So supposedly 14.5 has a decent performance boost in the iPhone 12.

Something about giving more power to the CPU? I saw a few videos demoing it and it does look to give a decent boost in games.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know it was discussed recently but what was the go to password manager choice. My wife and my emails were both in the 500 million Facebook leak so I am looking at options for us.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Free Bitwarden account or pay some bux for a paid account. Or pay more bux and go 1Password. Or self-host Bitwarden and get all its perks for free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know it was discussed recently but what was the go to password manager choice. My wife and my emails were both in the 500 million Facebook leak so I am looking at options for us.

There's no real go-to. I like 1password but it's $36/yr. Others like Bitwarden which is free, there's also Lastpass and KeePass and some others.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

FCKGW posted:

There's no real go-to. I like 1password but it's $36/yr. Others like Bitwarden which is free, there's also Lastpass and KeePass and some others.

Don’t use lastpass

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

iCloud Keychain works just fine and also has a chrome plug in now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The only thing that drives me nuts is there's still no standalone app for iCloud keychain.
What do I need to do if I need to log in on my TV or on my son's computer and want to pull up the password?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The only thing that drives me nuts is there's still no standalone app for iCloud keychain.
What do I need to do if I need to log in on my TV or on my son's computer and want to pull up the password?

You use your phone and check the password?

If it’s an Apple TV you can copy the password and paste it too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

rafikki posted:

Don’t use lastpass

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple TV logins is one of those magic tasks Apple got right. If you get promoted for a login on the tv your phone wakes up and offers to let you type it in there. This works for keychain accounts too, it will auto fill.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How/Where do you find out if one was affected by the leak? I’m assuming it’s haveibeenpwned but maybe it’s somewhere else

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Dancing Peasant posted:

How/Where do you find out if one was affected by the leak? I’m assuming it’s haveibeenpwned but maybe it’s somewhere else

Yes, I used haveibeenpwned.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

You use your phone and check the password?

If it’s an Apple TV you can copy the password and paste it too.

Yeah but where? Like type the URL into safari? What about stuff like Epic Games or app logins, do I have to pull up the browser on my phone and then show the password?

I’m genuinely curious because I use 1Password so figuring how to bring up a saved password in Keychain to use on a Windows box or something is confusing to me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FCKGW posted:

Yeah but where? Like type the URL into safari? What about stuff like Epic Games or app logins, do I have to pull up the browser on my phone and then show the password?

I’m genuinely curious because I use 1Password so figuring how to bring up a saved password in Keychain to use on a Windows box or something is confusing to me.

Settings -> Passwords

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

Settings > Passwords

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Settings -> Passwords

One more time!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MarcusSA posted:

One more time!

Settings -> Passwords

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huh, look at that. Good to know!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

1Password is so drat good. Yeah, it isn’t free, but honestly , password security is worth $5 a month or whatever it is a year.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I've used 1Password for almost a decade now and it keeps getting better with updates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I've used 1Password for almost a decade now and it keeps getting better with updates.

I have had a 1Password subscription for a few years now and I’m really not sure what it gets me over just using the keychain at this point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

I have had a 1Password subscription for a few years now and I’m really not sure what it gets me over just using the keychain at this point.

Independence from a (mostly) closed system?

Can keychain set up 2FA? Store encrypted notes?

Not saying it can't, I honestly don't know. Just a couple features that came to my mind right away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Independence from a (mostly) closed system?

Can keychain set up 2FA? Store encrypted notes?

Not saying it can't, I honestly don't know. Just a couple features that came to my mind right away.

You can lock notes.

The 2FA thing you can’t do. I’m going to have to look at that but any site I care about already does it so personally that’s of limited use I think.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

It also checks reused passwords and lets you know if a site has been compromised.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It also checks reused passwords and lets you know if a site has been compromised.

Keychain also does this

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If Apple added 2FA to Keychain and maybe made it it’s own app I’d probably switch over.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Honestly they are all pretty good products. I’d recommend trying a couple because they all feel a little different (not in a bad way).

Just don’t use Lastpass

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

If I had found out about BitWarden being more or less free earlier, I would’ve stuck with it. Otherwise, I’m totally cool with 1Password and all the features they have to offer, just as long as the price stays as is.

Edit: Lastpass is rear end

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Switching over to bitwarden I don’t like how it doesn’t put the little button in the credential fields like LP did, but it’s really good so far otherwise. Loved the ease of setup and I’ll probably chuck :10bux:/year their way for the premium features and to keep the project going

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I sometimes lurk in this thread but wanted to chime in to say gently caress LastPass. I ditched them last month and switched to Bitwarden and it’s been great

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I use Roboform as I have for more than a decade or so but it doesn't integrate with Edge for saving new passwords / generating them as far as I can tell. Maybe it does with Safari. Otherwise it's good? I don't have any comparison point though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I actually use a combo of 1password and keychain. Probably slightly less safe, but they’re both pretty good at security so I don’t think it’s a big deal.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've used 1Password for years, but I actually switched over to a paid account about a year ago. I thought about switching over to BitWarden when this topic came up to save the $40 a year or whatever, but I'm so integrated into 1Pass and it just works for me so I figured why mess with it. I've already switched all my important passwords (banking sites and poo poo) into long incomprehensible 20-character strings, so if anything went wrong in the migration I'd be proper hosed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1passwords’s integrated 2fa and the instant Privacy.com one-time-use credit card creation is worth the $36/yr for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

1passwords’s integrated 2fa and the instant Privacy.com one-time-use credit card creation is worth the $36/yr for me.

Those seem like great features and I wish their app advertised them like at all.

Just looking at the app right now it seems like a pretty basic password manager and I couldn’t find anything about either of those two features.

Which comes back to me asking what really made that $36 a year worth it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Those seem like great features and I wish their app advertised them like at all.

Just looking at the app right now it seems like a pretty basic password manager and I couldn’t find anything about either of those two features.

Which comes back to me asking what really made that $36 a year worth it.

A more trustworthy security model, responsive support, and a UI/app that doesn't suck across different platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

A more trustworthy security model

Maybe I’m not up on everything but how is it more trustworthy than keychain already is?

I understood that a lot of that is worth it to people it just seems like keychain has come along way and it’s harder to justify that $36.