Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on free Covid tests for everyone in England – The UK government is planning to offer millions of free rapid Covid tests, twice weekly, for everyone in England"

Telegraph:

UK's Covid traffic light travel plan too simplistic, say scientists

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... the freedom that isn't free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

wow, wrecked em

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
EDIT: Whoops! Some issue between my ISP and the forums stopping me from seeing my posts. Apologies!

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 6, 2021

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

Queens Of Mean: Of course, the Democrats see no crisis at the border, they only see new voters.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Edmund Lava posted:

Matt Bors is retiring from political cartooning. Sounds like he’ll still be involved with the Nib though.

https://twitter.com/mattbors/status/1379467981286207490?s=21

Completely bummed out. I love his work.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You think they ever wonder why these immigrants wont vote republican?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wait the All Star Game is being played in China now? The news I learn in the political cartoons thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao this sucks

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Hihohe posted:

You think they ever wonder why these immigrants wont vote republican?

They don't see them as people, so no.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

londonarbuckle posted:

Wow, immigrants are so insensitive :(

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wow, this is a really, really good cartoon. The expressions are priceless.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Bors quitting is probably a good thing. Between the inability to move on from the Trump-era wasteland comics and the NFT fiasco, it was pretty clear he wasn't doing his best or most enlightened work. I can only respect the decision to move on from a project instead of just putting out vapid, dispassionate swill day after day or week after week like so so many other cartoonists political or otherwise do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

londonarbuckle posted:

I mean, nobody in charge right now does either so I'm not sure with how things have been trending we have super long to be all smug about Republicans not caring about immigrant support

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, nobody in charge right now does either so I'm not sure with how things have been trending we have super long to be all smug about Republicans not caring about immigrant support

I didn't say they did.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Skeleton Mom posted:

Bors quitting is probably a good thing. Between the inability to move on from the Trump-era wasteland comics and the NFT fiasco, it was pretty clear he wasn't doing his best or most enlightened work. I can only respect the decision to move on from a project instead of just putting out vapid, dispassionate swill day after day or week after week like so so many other cartoonists political or otherwise do.

NFT Fiasco?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I'm not sure I'd call it a "fiasco", but Bors decided to NFT his "Mr. Gotcha" comic, announced it, and was immediately inundated with "what the poo poo, I thought you cared about the environment", and it became clear he'd done no research into what actually goes into NFTs and Bitcoin in general. He withdrew it but not before getting dragged pretty hard on social media.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edmund Lava posted:

Matt Bors is retiring from political cartooning. Sounds like he’ll still be involved with the Nib though.

Yay!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

On the one hand, I want to say "excellent avatar/post combo." On the other hand, "build and maintain a merchandising empire" was, if not Garfield's original reason, that's certainly the reason now, and it certainly does that.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Edmund Lava posted:

That's a drat shame.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Edmund Lava posted:

Bors had some real good work in the early 2010s, but after Trump got elected it seems like he got into a slump and started making the same cartoon over and over again, especially egregious with the post-apocalyptic cartoons. Can't say I'm surprised he's getting out.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Malcolm Turnbull dumped from role on NSW government clean energy board after 'media backlash' (ABC) (also opposition to expanding coal mines). This is the third time the Liberal party has sacked Malcolm Turnbull over his climate change policies.

Rowe:

The travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand is ready to go, allowing residents of both countries to travel between them without quarantine. This means the rugby can travel as normal.

Knight:

Downes:

Warren Brown:

Spooner:

Vaccine rollout still very slow.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
AOC, someone who is currently silent about the border:

https://twitter.com/TheCut/status/1377971537148583936?s=20

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Trapezium Dave posted:

Knight:

Downes:

Do these motherfuckers not understand why New Zealand dealt with covid as well as it did

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ambitious Spider posted:

AOC, someone who is currently silent about the border:

https://twitter.com/TheCut/status/1377971537148583936?s=20

Facts don't count.

In all seriousness though she's 100% correct.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Somfin posted:

Do these motherfuckers not understand why New Zealand dealt with covid as well as it did

Actually New Zealand just randomly deep-sixed their own economy after a few people got the sniffles because their PM hates hard working small business owners.

... is probably what a bunch of Australians think.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ben Garrison posted:

THE LIAR IN CHIEF, RESIDENT BIDEN

Joe Biden is a colossal liar. It’s one of the reasons the ruling caste arranged his election. Yes, Pinocchio Joe is a puppet of the globalists—and he’s heavily influenced by the Chicoms.

He may not be a slick liar like Obama is, but he makes up for it in volume. Lunch bucket Joe claims to support the working man and the middle class, but he really carries water for the New World Order types—especially the big banks. After the Biden regime was installed he immediately canceled the Keystone Pipeline and eliminated thousands of blue collar jobs. Same thing with the coal industry. Biden hates oil and coal—he’s helping the Bolsheviks bring about the Green New Deal. Helping the working man? He tells them they should learn to code. As for the $15 minimum wage he promised them again and again on his campaign trail—well, not so fast. His masters don’t want it, so Joe won’t deliver.

To me, Sleepy Joe’s most offensive lie was when he said his wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver. Not so. The accident was the fault of his wife, but Joe invented a more tragic version so he could milk sympathy for votes. Then he went out and stole a new wife away from one of his biggest supporters. That’s the kind of man he is.

When President Trump rightfully called out Joe for Hunters shady Ukraine deals as well as Joe’s quid pro quo arrangement. Joe said billions of dollars in aid from the US would be withheld until they fired their Hunter-investigating prosector. This statement spilled directly from Joe’s own lips but at the debate he told Trump, “That’s not true!” That was about the extent of Joe’s debating skills. No facts—just blanket denials.

Joe promised to unify the nation and instead immediately went on a Trump supporter witch hunt. Now the nation is more divided than ever—and this is just how the ruling elite want it. A divided nation is easier to control.

Joe knows he can lie and get away with it. He thinks voters are stupid. His voters are—they kept electing his mendacious self into office for decades
Biden sucks, you can attack him from the left or right, and yet these brain surgeons think that attacking the death of half his family is a winning move. Don’t make me sympathize with Biden, rear end in a top hat.

Also, I want to bring you into my personal hell of realizing he added a bunch of superfluous nostrils instead of just making them branches of the original nose. Go ahead, dwell on what kind of Eldritch fetish Garrison has revealed to you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Lies.” He’s been really low-effort since January.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, I want to bring you into my personal hell of realizing he added a bunch of superfluous nostrils instead of just making them branches of the original nose. Go ahead, dwell on what kind of Eldritch fetish Garrison has revealed to you.

It's the grabby nose hand that really gets to me

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Rea posted:

Bors had some real good work in the early 2010s, but after Trump got elected it seems like he got into a slump and started making the same cartoon over and over again, especially egregious with the post-apocalyptic cartoons. Can't say I'm surprised he's getting out.

There's way too many political cartoonists that description fits, tbh

Good for Bors for actually getting out of it instead of continuing to wallow in it for 30 years like some/most in the industry have. Something like this:

Bors posted:

I’ve drawn political cartoons every week since I was 19 and feel like I have said everything I can say, often a few times over.

is more self-awareness than most of the other people posted in this thread could ever hope to have.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Honestly I think his rants are getting more and more unhinged, and that was before he went even more vile talking about the loss of Biden's first wife.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also "fib." Like, the growing nose already represents lies/fibs, he didn't need to draw two branches and label them as the thing they're a metaphor for. He's really bad at this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man that's a weak Garrison.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Actually New Zealand just randomly deep-sixed their own economy after a few people got the sniffles because their PM hates hard working small business owners.

... is probably what a bunch of Australians think.

The woman dealt with a global health crisis while raising a newborn and still had enough free time to make a guest appearance on a woodworking twitch channel. How do they not realize she's pretty much bulletproof at this point?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pants Donkey posted:

Biden sucks, you can attack him from the left or right, and yet these brain surgeons think that attacking the death of half his family is a winning move. Don’t make me sympathize with Biden, rear end in a top hat.

What a pathetic loser Ben Garrison is. This is just really sad. Now that Strong Daddy's gone he has nothing left.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

MechaCrash posted:

On the one hand, I want to say "excellent avatar/post combo." On the other hand, "build and maintain a merchandising empire" was, if not Garfield's original reason, that's certainly the reason now, and it certainly does that.

It really was Garfield's original reason. Prior to Garfield, Jim Davis had toiled away on strip about anthropomorphic insects for a few years without distribution going beyond low double digits at best. He was dispirited when, some editor gave him the advise, "your art is good and your jokes are funny, but no one likes bugs." Jim then resolved to create the most commercial strip he could, and every design decisions was made from that framework. Literally the only reason it's about a cat is he noted that there were a number of popular dogs in comics like Snoopy and Maramaduke, but no cats. I don't like Garfield, but I admire it's purity. The perfect commercial vehicle, it's market calculations matched only by its ubiquity.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

The criticism for Biden coming from the right is entirely bad faith bullshit and slander.

I think criticizing Biden is good, but the criticism coming from the right should be disregarded entirely until they show an actual intrest in governing and not just remaining in power through obstruction and racism.

This isn't meant as a shot at you (and I'm not sure if it come off as one? I dunno, I've had a long day and sometimes it's hard to judge how my tone is coming across in text) it's just that I'm not sure it actually is possible to criticize Biden from the right simply because the American right doesn't actually have any concrete goals beyond voter suppression at this point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

the American right doesn't actually have any concrete goals beyond voter suppression at this point.

Oh they absolutely do. Kill all foreigners that American capitalism can't enslave, eradicate the minimum wage, break the unions, eliminate the nonwhite population. Their concrete goal is a totalitarian "Christian" ethnostate united under a single white man and all of their other moves are actively pushing toward that goal. That's why folks on the left who recognise what's happening are often upset with Democrats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Facts don't count.

In all seriousness though she's 100% correct.

someone should tell her what the guy she's saying we need to unite behind in the whitehouse has done to the global south

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I dont know posted:

It really was Garfield's original reason. Prior to Garfield, Jim Davis had toiled away on strip about anthropomorphic insects for a few years without distribution going beyond low double digits at best. He was dispirited when, some editor gave him the advise, "your art is good and your jokes are funny, but no one likes bugs." Jim then resolved to create the most commercial strip he could, and every design decisions was made from that framework. Literally the only reason it's about a cat is he noted that there were a number of popular dogs in comics like Snoopy and Maramaduke, but no cats. I don't like Garfield, but I admire it's purity. The perfect commercial vehicle, it's market calculations matched only by its ubiquity.
He also gave a human comic centered around Jon a shot between those two, but quickly found everyone only cared about strips with the cat in it. So he retooled it to just be about the cat before national syndication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bors has been worse than Rall for at least 4 years. I'm glad their bland dumb nonsense is going away. They got broke by Trump and there's no shame in that.