Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

I miss my oolong pot. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
*deep breath*

The main thing with the materials are the designs of the teapots more than the flavor unless the metal is very cheap or your tongue is very sensitive - it will taste water flavor changes because of the water source more than the pot you brew it in for a metal pot. Ceramic and glass are functionally the same and also functionally less durable than a metal pot. A metal pot you can throw all over the place, knock over empty or full from a counter top, and it will still be generally usable or easily replaceable. Others are not so fortunate.

Clay pots that are porous inside are meant to season and are generally considered long term things to use and take care of like cast iron. They should theoretically have some transfer of flavor and is part of the pomp and circumstance surrounding cha yi, gong fu cha, etc. For casual drinking or critical tasting without a purpose-used teapot, you can use a ceramic gaiwan or just a regular glass and get perfectly tasty results.

If price is a major factor for you, metal tends to be the cheapest, but not always. There's a reason they're used in high demand at a lot of restaurants that serve tea either for free or at large scale. Glass is the most fragile by far and can develop microfractures pretty quick, even for borosilicate double walled stuff, so ceramic has held up as the most popular option for occasional use as being aesthetically pleasing, durable enough, and guaranteed flavor neutral because it's fully sealed on the inside and out with a glaze (except maybe the lid which isn't touching the tea directly anyway).

Vivian Darkbloom

Heath posted:

Ceramic is going to give you the best heat distribution and probably the most "pure" flavor as opposed to metal which will give better heat retention and can affect the minerality of the water a bit, esp cast iron

Ceramic or glass will heat up the quickest and will cool off the quickest, metal pots will take longer to heat up but will stay warmer longer

At the end of the day it's really more about aesthetics than anything else. Cast iron especially is heavy as hell and might be uncomfortable to pour. I personally prefer ceramic for most things. I don't have a lot of experience with clay pots but I'd like one

I picked up a well-reviewed glass teapot, so we'll see how that is! Getting a little sick of always drinking grandpa style

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I generally consider glass pots primarily for a multi-person setting where you want to show off the color of the tea. Not that you can't or shouldn't use them for yourself! I use a double walled glass gongdaobei for my Puerhs just to see the color of them

Vivian Darkbloom

I made iced oolong and it came out way better than it expected

Dip Viscous

everyone should own at least one teapot that's comically huge, covered in brown glaze, and very british looking

anyway i tried mixing chamomile and hibiscus and it was a very foolish move

edit: i'm talking about the kind of teapot that says BROWN BETTY on it and holds enough tea for a whole army

Dip Viscous

you will drink too much tea and you will wet the bed and you will be like "i should have expected that outcome"

JNCO BILOBA

Dip Viscous posted:

you will drink too much tea and you will wet the bed

I don't wanna be right.

Sunday Special puerh on a Saturday. Still nice.

Happy Tea Time BYOB

Dip Viscous

sunday night on a saturday night is an AWESOME drink name

Finger Prince

Speaking of oolong I just found some in my tea cupboard I forgot about. Strawberry papaya oolong. (it also makes an awesome iced oolong that is deceptively caffeinenated)

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Teaster!

Vivian Darkbloom

For another non-caffeinated non-sweet drink I bought a few ounces of buckwheat with do-it-yourself tea bags. It's a little weird to be drinking wheat broth but actually pretty tasty. I also like those packets of veggie mix that basically make a really thin soup to sip. Sip soup.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Went to the teahouse today for a date, then I stayed for an extra hour and a half to hang and take tea with folks and chill after the date left. Today's drink list:

- Date drink 1: Fo shou (Buddha's hand) - https://westchinatea.com/30g-buddhas-hand/ - a very simple and unfussy oolong that was coincidentally one of the first high-grade teas that I picked up from a fancy tea house in Berkeley, CA (teance). The place was far too fancy for the person I was at the time - people in expertly cut suits and cocktail dresses, someone playing on a piano that they brought in for a winter performance, treating tea like wine and offering flights when that was still a very new concept. One of the only teas I purchased from them, but I still remember the flavor. Of course, the conversation to accompany the drink was also very pleasant.
- Date drink 2: Jin xuan (milk oolong) - https://westchinatea.com/30g-milk-oolong/ - a legit one that lasted from first cup to last. The mysterious famous tea has returned and gave the good memories while making more good memories. Conversation always has a tendency to turn to the gentler, sweeter side of things, talking about things yet to come.
- Golden Thread Honey Orchid Phoenix (dancong) - https://westchinatea.com/30g-gold-thread-honey-orchid/ using my personal teapot that I brought (had no time to get it ready during the date). I haven't had a dancong in ages and I was reminded of the first embarrassing time I complained the tea tasted like soap and then much later when I learned how to pour water properly to adjust the temperature for service by adjusting the pour height (plus having the water be at the specific temperature). I had tea with one of the folks there and we of course talked about many things but in the secret other garden, as the previous drink spot was occupied by a potential new wholesale client of the teahouse that had a reservation.

I had a moment to take a picture after the date left and also thought of a poem, though I kept it to myself:

Daytime, clear and bright
Carrying milk's jade fragrance
A grackle, flies away

Theoretically, another date may find its way on the calendar, so things went well!

Escape From Noise

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

For another non-caffeinated non-sweet drink I bought a few ounces of buckwheat with do-it-yourself tea bags. It's a little weird to be drinking wheat broth but actually pretty tasty. I also like those packets of veggie mix that basically make a really thin soup to sip. Sip soup.

I have a huge bag of bags still from my tour of Asahi a few years ago. Popular summer drink here.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I finally got brave and sampled my Chinese black tea with no sugar (a thing my English teas can't really accept): it tasted like scented leaves, but in a good way, like a good green tea. Delicious. And this is a very cheap brand so I have a lot of exploration in my future!

For quality oolong: how many steeps can it really take?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

I finally got brave and sampled my Chinese black tea with no sugar (a thing my English teas can't really accept): it tasted like scented leaves, but in a good way, like a good green tea. Delicious. And this is a very cheap brand so I have a lot of exploration in my future!

For quality oolong: how many steeps can it really take?

Hell yeah! Love a quality Chinese black tea!

I can usually get at least three

Dip Viscous

strongly considering some really sketchy looking puerh tea from amazon that comes in a big brick

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Irish breakfast tea...for lunch??? It's good.

Uptons river shannon irish breakfast is good but their CTC irish breakfast is not.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I've ben taking l-theanine supplement pills at night and I think they are helping me sleep better?

Tea is magic

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Bilirubin

Had tension tamer, passing the gently caress out

Night yob

Bilirubin

My partner is game to try to elevate our tea game :stoked: will post up some of the basic infusers we have for loose leaf in a while and see what your collective wisdom says

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have stopped caffeine recently and haven't had a tea in a while but the new thread title has brought a story to mind.

some point a few... maybe 2 years ago? anyways i was staying with my folks after returning from saskatchewan and wanted to make a pot of tea. there was a box of tea that i could not read but the bags smelled good so i decided to make it. i brought my pot of tea up to my room and sat down and maybe even posted about it, when saint of saints teddy thunder asked me what kind of tea it was, i took a picture of the box, at which point i was informed "holy poo poo that's ballerina tea." luckily i had yet to pour a mug or drink any.

turns out my mother had bought tea on sale at a grocery store, not knowing what it was, and if it wasn't for knowledgeable tea goons i'd have drank a full pot of a tea designed to turn my guts into a highly volatile fluid.

sometimes tea is a hell of a drug. thank you for reading my story.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Bilirubin

Thank you for your tea time story; I liked it. Do they call it ballerina tea because it makes you poo poo so hard you will spin like a top?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Heather Papps posted:

i have stopped caffeine recently and haven't had a tea in a while but the new thread title has brought a story to mind.

some point a few... maybe 2 years ago? anyways i was staying with my folks after returning from saskatchewan and wanted to make a pot of tea. there was a box of tea that i could not read but the bags smelled good so i decided to make it. i brought my pot of tea up to my room and sat down and maybe even posted about it, when saint of saints teddy thunder asked me what kind of tea it was, i took a picture of the box, at which point i was informed "holy poo poo that's ballerina tea." luckily i had yet to pour a mug or drink any.

turns out my mother had bought tea on sale at a grocery store, not knowing what it was, and if it wasn't for knowledgeable tea goons i'd have drank a full pot of a tea designed to turn my guts into a highly volatile fluid.

sometimes tea is a hell of a drug. thank you for reading my story.

LMFAO yes I remember the ballerina tea incident and I am glad you didn't poo poo yourself to the moon.

I have made this mistake, many times, as a person with a pretty severe eating disorder. There are better ways, friends.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bilirubin posted:

Thank you for your tea time story; I liked it. Do they call it ballerina tea because it makes you poo poo so hard you will spin like a top?

Yes. It's literally senna and Chinese mallow and you will die of pooping.

Vivian Darkbloom

At that point you might as well just contract cholera

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I mean basically yes. There's also a 3 Ballerinas branded "tea" that will make you vomit uncontrollably!

I love knowing this so I can keep other people from making Life Mistakes, as I have. Before I could read well, I drank a lot of questionable poo poo. Now I also drink a lot of questionable poo poo but ignorance is no excuse.

Vivian Darkbloom

I brewed a first pot of genmaicha using my new glass teapot. It looks like piss

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Good

Bilirubin

What I have on hand to brew loose leaf tea with. I know the basket gives really good space for the leaves to expand but am less sure about the super fun silicone infusers.

I want to try some oolong and puehr I assume I will be fine with these right?

ALso check out the skull and dinosaurs.

Maybe the skull and crossbones is to warn you off ballerina tea now that I think about it

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Bilirubin

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I brewed a first pot of genmaicha using my new glass teapot. It looks like piss

gimme a hot cup of that piss you have over there Vivian Darkbloom

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Dip Viscous

does ballerina tea at least taste good before it makes your rear end explode?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dip Viscous posted:

it smelled like fresh cut hay, which was appealing to me. i never did end up tasting it tho'

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dip Viscous posted:

Kinda? Like Pappsy said it's basically grass and grass tastes like grass.

Dip Viscous

drat... that's some tricky tea

Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

What I have on hand to brew loose leaf tea with. I know the basket gives really good space for the leaves to expand but am less sure about the super fun silicone infusers.

I want to try some oolong and puehr I assume I will be fine with these right?

ALso check out the skull and dinosaurs.

Maybe the skull and crossbones is to warn you off ballerina tea now that I think about it

I think the silicone infusers probably work fine for a single mug or whatever

Bilirubin

Escape From Noise posted:

I think the silicone infusers probably work fine for a single mug or whatever

:ohdear: not sure about drinking an entire pot myself so that will be fine

enjoying a sleepy time now, lets see how narcotic it really is

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

:ohdear: not sure about drinking an entire pot myself so that will be fine

enjoying a sleepy time now, lets see how narcotic it really is

You can also get small single serving teapots. I had a Bee House teapot for a while and got my friend one for his birthday when we were in college and he mentioned wishing he had a way to make tea.
It looks like this

Bilirubin

That's adorable

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Bilirubin posted:

That's adorable

They are cute little pots. I guess they also have a website. The design of the site is... very Japanese
https://www.beehouseteapot.com/beehouse.htm