Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also I seem to remember a mod that added places in the galaxy where you could build ships for a price, instead of having to make your own colony, anyone know which one that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That kinda thing is in the base game. Sometimes bars will have someone that lets you buy from a selection or sometimes any of your own blueprints. The markup can vary quite a bit (lowest I’ve seen is 130% and the highest 300%).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've been fiddling around with Centurion builds for the AI to pilot, trying to find something that isn't just "<other ship> but worse" and I think I finally figured one out.

Ignore the S mod, I found a wreck that already had it installed, apparently this is a thing. I've got the 20% flux stats bonus from the second most powerful skill in the game, but the build works without it. The 3 points left over are for efficiency overhaul, which I somehow still haven't found yet in this game.

The railguns put serious pressure on the enemy shield, with solid potential for overloading them if they get too cocky. Burst PD works a lot more reliably than any other combination of PD here. The stopping power against missiles is great, and the burst of damage helps chip away at enemy armor or give you a bit of an advantage in the flux war. Solid against fighters, too, especially with the railguns helping out. If the ship is under too much fire and needs to drop shields, it will use its special ability to only take a quarter damage for a short while, while still recovering flux levels and building up burst PD charges. Because of this, vents are more valuable than capacitors. The setup as a whole has a weakness against armor, which is where the Breach SRMs come in. They can punish any enemy that overloads or just doesn't have shields in the right place. Being able to fire 5 times (in bursts of 3 for a total of 15 missiles) means that they'll last you about as long as your frigate's operating time, and once they strip away enemy armor, your railguns and lasers can eat away at the enemy hull fairly quickly.

It was with a heavy heart that I discarded heavy armor, hard shields, and the rear turret slots from my build. This frigate is primarily a defensive one, but still, they just weren't as important as getting the weapon setup working properly. It's a warship, not a flying brick. (The Monitor does the flying brick thing better) The rear slots proved mostly unnecessary, because the Burst PD has good enough cover for the most part. Salamanders in particular are completely unable to circle around the ship before being shot down.

If you build in S mods for this ship, absolutely do take hardened shields and heavy armor, they supplement it very well. But I'd rather save the story points for something bigger, tbh. Honorary mention to unstable injector which gets you over that critical harpoon missile speed treshold, which helps if the AI randomly decides to vent in the vicinity of one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wish this game had more than like 2 music tracks. I’ll probably run the Factorio OST in the background this evening when I play.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's the most powerful skill in the game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's the most powerful skill in the game

the skill that makes a frigate with 5 d-mods able to reliably eat 10+ reapers before going down

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

New thread title please

"preorder alpha" is some top tier underselling at this point

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Autonomous Mantle Bore will only increase production of items that already exist on a planet, right? Like, if I have a planet with ore + rare ore and I install the Bore, it won't also start producing organics, will it?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

The Autonomous Mantle Bore will only increase production of items that already exist on a planet, right? Like, if I have a planet with ore + rare ore and I install the Bore, it won't also start producing organics, will it?

Correct. And I have never seen a planet with organics and no atmosphere, so it will never help you get organics

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Trying to clean up all the chaff from my fleet and streamline it some. Been bringing around a bunch of frigates and destroyers that I've used for hauling some of my junk that aren't efficient for it, I never bring them into battle over my main ships. From what I understand, capital-class fuel tankers and Atlas cargo ships aren't worth the trouble and loss of speed on their own unless you're rocking other battleship sized warships, and the most efficient way to haul cargo is with a few Colossi and Phaetons? Are salvage rigs and shepherds still worth bringing along anymore, is there a specific breakpoint of how many to have?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Correct. And I have never seen a planet with organics and no atmosphere, so it will never help you get organics

A shame really that it doesn't let you saturation bomb the atmosphere off a planet. If the robot will not go to the habitable planet then the uninhabitable planet will have to come to the robot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dee Ehm posted:

Trying to clean up all the chaff from my fleet and streamline it some. Been bringing around a bunch of frigates and destroyers that I've used for hauling some of my junk that aren't efficient for it, I never bring them into battle over my main ships. From what I understand, capital-class fuel tankers and Atlas cargo ships aren't worth the trouble and loss of speed on their own unless you're rocking other battleship sized warships, and the most efficient way to haul cargo is with a few Colossi and Phaetons? Are salvage rigs and shepherds still worth bringing along anymore, is there a specific breakpoint of how many to have?

With the new changes, I believe larger ships are always better for logistics, the question is more how much you want to invest in them. An atlas is slow by default but you can bring it up to burn 9 quite easily by militarizing it (or having the right skill) and building enhanced engines into it with a story point, then if you put expanded cargo holds on it you can also make it carry gigantic amounts of cargo.

So they are far better than they were last patch, though I have been using Revenants because they have good cargo and fuel and also no sensor signature.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dee Ehm posted:

Fun trick with Atlas and Prometheus ships: With augmented drive fields for +2 burn they reach speed 8. Militarized subsystems to reach speed 9 (or the first yellow skill choice that boosts non-militarized civilian ships). With the blue skill that speeds up your fleet, that's speed 10. If you're worried about OP, just have the augmented drive fields built in.

Another trick: They count as capital ships, so surveying equipment is very potent on them. A pair of Atlases and a Prometheus with this is pretty much all you need to survey almost all planets for the minimum price.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

OwlFancier posted:

With the new changes, I believe larger ships are always better for logistics, the question is more how much you want to invest in them. An atlas is slow by default but you can bring it up to burn 9 quite easily by militarizing it (or having the right skill) and building enhanced engines into it with a story point, then if you put expanded cargo holds on it you can also make it carry gigantic amounts of cargo.

So they are far better than they were last patch, though I have been using Revenants because they have good cargo and fuel and also no sensor signature.

Yep, I've found this straight up true with even aux-tanked Drams. They come in at 390 or something like that for their fuel capacity, and a phaeton fits 800 fuel units by default. So 2 modded up Drams will be outclassed by a single Phaeton with respect to fuel capacity. There's some numbers games you can play with upkeep and speed and other hullmods, but those are all marginal numbers besides the one job those ships have, which is hauling fuel.

I have to say that my life got very pleasant when I bit the bullet and just sprung for a civilian hulk of a cargo ship to pal around with my cruiser fleet. 5000-ish cargo space is really nice. I would say reserve the last 3-5 slots in your fleet lineup for logistics ships of one flavor or another. 2x tankers, 1-2 haulers, and option a tug or salvage rig if that's your jam. With the right hullmods they'll keep up with even a fast frigate fleet for all but the largest of hulls.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Their sensor profile is also capital-class, so don’t take them into REDACTED space unless you plan on fighting everything.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

my dad posted:

Fun trick with Atlas and Prometheus ships: With augmented drive fields for +2 burn they reach speed 8. Militarized subsystems to reach speed 9 (or the first yellow skill choice that boosts non-militarized civilian ships). With the blue skill that speeds up your fleet, that's speed 10. If you're worried about OP, just have the augmented drive fields built in.

Another trick: They count as capital ships, so surveying equipment is very potent on them. A pair of Atlases and a Prometheus with this is pretty much all you need to survey almost all planets for the minimum price.

Even just one Promethius and one Atlas can support a pretty big fleet, too!

Vengarr posted:

Their sensor profile is also capital-class, so don’t take them into REDACTED space unless you plan on fighting everything.

They can do burn 20 in systems, REDACTED can't catch them unless you feel like a fight or fly badly. Or if you bring a pile of other slow stuff you don't want to make fast.

Also, the mods for High resolution sensors works better on capitals IIRC which means you can see things much farther out.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 7, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know they deliberately changed it to make larger ships more efficient but I think also the logistics hullmods got rebalanced so they give a bigger percentage increase, either that or it's just a side effect of boosting up the logi ships capacitiy.

I also think the skill that gives you a massive boost to logi capacity is a good pick too, lets you run much bigger fleets much easier.

Vengarr posted:

If you don't militarize them it's double capital class lol. That's the main reason i don't take them, but yeah if you're just cruising for a bruising with your mega hench murder fleet and don't care what comes after you, grab you some capital haulers.

E: also yeah slap surveying equipment on them too if you want, good use of a capital grade slot. Failing that high res sensors also work.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 7, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

OwlFancier posted:

E: also yeah slap surveying equipment on them too if you want, good use of a capital grade slot. Failing that high res sensors also work.

Get both. Build them in. High res sensors/militarized/Drive field/Surveying equipment and expanded Fuel or Cargo. All of them together if you take the skill for a 3rd built in hull mod.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gonna want some extra Atlas class ships just in case you hit jackpot planet while exploring. (3000 organs, for example).

Hm... Since the +20% flux for up to 120 (or was it 180?)DP skill only counts military ships, I'm actually thinking that having some Ventures along as chaff in very large fleets might not be the worst idea ever.

I'll come up with a build later, but without story point, I think you should be able to fit in 2 medium sabots, 2 atropos, 2 heavy maulers, a medium burst PD, extra missile ammo, extra range, and maybe even have room left for efficiency overhaul. Should pack a mean punch and create openings for your "real" combat ships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Get both. Build them in. High res sensors/militarized/Drive field/Surveying equipment and expanded Fuel or Cargo. All of them together if you take the skill for a 3rd built in hull mod.

True you can if you want, though it depends how many points you want to spend, also for a large logistics ship I would probably argue that efficiency is a good idea in order to reduce fuel usage so that's in competition, as may be insulated engines for the sensor reduction if you are trying to run a stealthier fleet.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Well I've hit a bitch of a station to take down. Fully upgraded Path, I think Low Tech, and I've thrown 3 Legions, 1 Onslaught, 1 Conquest, and numerous other ships. It's completely immune to missiles/fighters. Only ship that seemed to do alright was a Sunder with a Large Autopulse that somehow danced enough to do some damage before being swatted out of the sky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it using devastator flaks? If so yes you will be in for a very rough time using fighters.

Stations are quite vulnerable to EMP if you can get their shields down, as all their guns are heavily compressed together, so if you don't have any it might be a good idea to add some ion cannon craft or things using tachyon lances, or HVDs which can both break their shields and disable their guns and are probably compatible with your current ship lineup. I think gauss cannons also have an EMP effect which might be a good shot for your conquest, or mjolnirs which I think do too.

Also potentially a viable pick might be a couple of afflictors, because their ship system just makes targets take a lot more damage, which is very good against large targets and they're cheap and fairly easy to acquire from a lot of places.

I would also consider pehraps refitting your carriers to use bombers, in particular the pure dumb bombers are quite good against stations, pirhanas and the... one that just drops literal bombs I can't remember what it is. Cobras also potentially, if you combine this with being able to disable the station's guns with EMP/kinetics you might find them to be more effective. Sabot bombers (longbows) are also quite good because they will either do a bunch of anti shield damage or they will blast the station with the EMP effect.

The big trick with station fights is finding a way to make the damage they do sustainable for your fleet, which means you need to be able to spread it among all your ships, and you want to focus on cutting the station's damage output as much as you can. It really does feel very all or nothing sometimes, if your positioning and shutdown works out you can end up taking very little damage, whereas if it breaks through your resistance it will start knocking out ships which means fewer targets for it to spread fire around, which means it will start knocking out more ships faster and faster.

On your first approach you may be well served waiting for the primary gun face to be rotating away from you, which will allow your ships to close range facing the hangar modules instead, and ideally maybe knock out a bastion.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 7, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How high do I have to get pirate rep to stop getting pirate activity on my colonies? I'm at +14 and still have the modifier. Do I have to destroy the station they're basing out of before they'll stop hitting me, or will they stop once my rep gets higher?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought they stopped hitting you once you're above open hostilities. Perhaps that station will persist until you destroy it? I usually have pirate rep into at least inhospitable before I settle.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm not quite sure what the rules are for it. I once had a station support pirate activity despite being at neutral+ relations. After destroying it I never got pirate activity again the rest of the playthrough.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Okay sounds like I need to kill the station and hopefully they'll be chill afterwards. Thanks for the replies. Another question: why is Dedicated Targeting Core an option for cruisers when Integrated Targeting Unit is, as far as I can tell, strictly better for the same OP?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The ITU has to be found. Other than that, I dunno.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah just that, which is still weird I think, I don't know why that's still in the game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
ITU is meant as a straight upgrade according to the dev. All the best tech in this setting has to be dug out of a dumpster somewhere

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

LegoMan posted:

Well I've hit a bitch of a station to take down. Fully upgraded Path, I think Low Tech, and I've thrown 3 Legions, 1 Onslaught, 1 Conquest, and numerous other ships. It's completely immune to missiles/fighters. Only ship that seemed to do alright was a Sunder with a Large Autopulse that somehow danced enough to do some damage before being swatted out of the sky.

Snipe around the edges of the bastion shields to knock those out first, then it becomes much easier to focus on either the main modules or the citadel. Tachyon lances will serve really well there.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Range is important enough for big ship utility that they need access to something, apparently this is the least kludgey way to do it (so far)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thoughts on Mora Carrier vs Heron Fast Carrier?

Mora looks like it can potentially fight a bit itself while the Heron seems to have the speed to keep itself safe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mora is a massive fat brick and I hate it. In your own fleet it is pretty poo poo, in enemy fleets it is the new venture for how durable it is with the damper field.

If you are planning to get your carrier shot at a lot the mora is good but otherwise I would rather have the heron, which makes its fighters better and is faster.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

I'm on my third map in 0.95a and I have found in total one planet that was not habitable but had organics. Apparently there is a small chance for this to happen on toxic worlds.

Have yet to find a pristine nanoforge outside the core worlds ones though.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 7, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Smiling Demon posted:

Have yet to find a pristine nanoforge outside the core worlds ones though.

Me either. Luckily, the Persean league provides.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, at least steal the Hegemony's if you're gonna steal one. They seem like bigger assholes than the League (though they still seem like jerks).

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
No one are allowed nanoforges but I. With my 10,000marine battalion there's nothing I won't take from the core worlds.

In other news though I'm getting my rear end absolutely handed to me in late game battles. Even with a stack of frigates to capture beacons in battle I can't seem to deploy more than a handful of poo poo while an equal sized opponent deploys like 3x capitals along with their entire chaff fleet.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 7, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Wafflecopper posted:

How high do I have to get pirate rep to stop getting pirate activity on my colonies? I'm at +14 and still have the modifier. Do I have to destroy the station they're basing out of before they'll stop hitting me, or will they stop once my rep gets higher?

In my experience, the modifier itself stays no matter what your rep with pirates is, but the actual effect scales according to your rep, eventually producing 0 negative effects once you're friendly enough.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

ErKeL posted:

No one are allowed nanoforges but I. With my 10,000marine battalion there's nothing I won't take from the core worlds.

In other news though I'm getting my rear end absolutely handed to me in late game battles. Even with a stack of frigates to capture beacons in battle I can't seem to deploy more than a handful of poo poo while an equal sized opponent deploys like 3x capitals along with their entire chaff fleet.

This was a bit of a mistake on the new DP system IMO. Officers weigh more heavily than ships for the initial DP split. Problem with this is, you are capped at 8 officers or 10 with the skill. You can go over with mercs/AI, but those also take limited resources.

Problem is late game your average enemy pirate fleet has 13/14 officers and people have shared screenshots of [redacted] fleets with 24 officers. You can't really compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah I didn't take the 10 officer skill but feel I should've. Been using story points to get mercs to try and even it but don't think I realistically can.