Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

It's most certainly racist to some extent, but the pyramids do have this other worldly quality that you can't say about say, the Colosseum or something. Like, a lot of ruins of white civilization have some obvious practical function, while so much stuff in Africa, South America, Asia etc. was ceremonial and way more extravagant. I think it's harder for people to grasp why humans would put so much labor into something that is ultimately mostly for show.

Also, you look at something like the Rapa Nui heads and we don't know that much about them, they were buried underground...there's a lot of mystique to that. So while I won't discount that there is some racist element to it I think there is more to it than that.

I have a coworker that's into all the weird ancient alien/super ancient civilization stuff and he likes talking to me about because in my youth like a lot of us I read about the subjects this thread is dedicated to voraciously. The most recent video he sent me (I haven't watched it) repeats the myth about Egyptians spreading their culture to Mesoamerica but it had a Hotep twist I hadn't heard before where the Egyptians were actually Black and originally came from the south of Africa.

It's really funny talking to him because I've got him to internalize the reason pyramids show up everywhere - it was the tallest structure you could build with a certain level of technology/knowledge.

Thanks to this thread I've been revisiting a lot of cryptid stuff and it's fascinating how much poo poo it was easy to fall for when you had no access to the internet. When you've only got some book or books to go on and you're young you just assume the author is going to be accurate in their retelling and not leave anything out. It's almost a bummer how obvious even the greatest pictorial evidence for cryptids are phony or misidentified mundane items.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

veni veni veni posted:

It's most certainly racist to some extent, but the pyramids do have this other worldly quality that you can't say about say, the Colosseum or something. Like, a lot of ruins of white civilization have some obvious practical function, while so much stuff in Africa, South America, Asia etc. was ceremonial and way more extravagant. I think it's harder for people to grasp why humans would put so much labor into something that is ultimately mostly for show.

Also, you look at something like the Rapa Nui heads and we don't know that much about them, they were buried underground...there's a lot of mystique to that. So while I won't discount that there is some racist element to it I think there is more to it than that.

I love how they point to the Moai and go "how could they have used rollers to move these? there are no Trees on Rapa Nui!" when duh, the reason they don't have any trees is because they chopped them all down for the rollers. AA doofs never seem to do anything more than use general knowlage to base their claims on. Anyone with a high school knowlage of history can see through all their bullshit, but they're aiming this at people who don't know anything more than what they've seen in movies and on tv about ancient civilizations and the idea that they are mysterious unknowns is way more common and popular and actual historical, anthropological and archeological surveys of ancient and non white cultures.

Knormal posted:

To bring in some more questionably-racist claims from Europeans, you guys know who built the biggest pyramid in the world? Why the ancient Bosnians of course! It's just that it's so old and so big it's been covered with dirt and is overgrown with trees so it looks like a mountain, but if you did under that dirt there's stone under there so obviously it's a manmade pyramid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_pyramid_claims

There's a whole bunch of Bosnian Nationalist stuff around these days I'm not sure if its the same guy who people associated with him or people just trying to jump on the band wagon but I've seen claims that both writing and agriculture started in Bosnia.

I like how the Pyramid of the Sun guy has both reshaped the hills so they look more like pyramids and also has found ww2/cold war tunnels that prove these are actually ancient.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I love how they point to the Moai and go "how could they have used rollers to move these? there are no Trees on Rapa Nui!" when duh, the reason they don't have any trees is because they chopped them all down for the rollers. AA doofs never seem to do anything more than use general knowlage to base their claims on. Anyone with a high school knowlage of history can see through all their bullshit, but they're aiming this at people who don't know anything more than what they've seen in movies and on tv about ancient civilizations and the idea that they are mysterious unknowns is way more common and popular and actual historical, anthropological and archeological surveys of ancient and non white cultures.

Well, possibly some to help erect the statues, some to build settlements, apparently polynesian rats and historical climate change are also partly responsible, and it doesn't help that the most predominant tree took like 100 years to grow to size.

Also, the statues may have actually been "walked" into place with ropes. I don't know if there's any actual evidence that this happened, other than the inhabitants saying the statues "walked" there. But it's possible to teeter a statue from one side to the other, pivoting it forward as it moves. I do the same process writ small with a set of big wooden ramps I have for working on my car, it's way easier than lifting them.

What kills me about tv like Ancient Aliens is that they're frequently covering topics I'd love to learn more about, but they poo poo it all up with hogwash.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty evident that the whole "proving the skeptics wrong" aspect of cryptozoology is just as important (if not even more important) than the scientific discovery aspect for most of the people who by into it.

There’s no “just as” about it; scientific discovery was never a thing here.

Today’s Bigfoot enthusiasts largely ascribe to a sort of “reverse skepticism” where they treat the Patty suit as if it were a cryptid:

“If Bigfoot costumes are real, why can’t you produce one? The burden of proof is on you to prove that such costumes exist,” etc.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Phy posted:

Also, the statues may have actually been "walked" into place with ropes. I don't know if there's any actual evidence that this happened, other than the inhabitants saying the statues "walked" there. But it's possible to teeter a statue from one side to the other, pivoting it forward as it moves. I do the same process writ small with a set of big wooden ramps I have for working on my car, it's way easier than lifting them.

Wasn't it a thing where they find toppled-over Moai that are almost always lying on their side at an angle from their presumed direction of travel, like it took a "step" too far and overbalanced the ropes and flopped over in transit down a hill or whatever?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Or they were washed down the hill due to the massive amounts of erosion that plagued Rapa Nui.

I do love how all Ancient Aliens stuff both assumes that ancient peoples were too dumb to describe accurate things that they had to use flowery language to describe a silver disk coming down from the sky or green dudes or whatever, and also that every single story is actually true, nothing is made up. Ancient Non White didn't have imagination and they weren't creative! Get out of here!

Phy posted:

Well, possibly some to help erect the statues, some to build settlements, apparently polynesian rats and historical climate change are also partly responsible, and it doesn't help that the most predominant tree took like 100 years to grow to size.

What kills me about tv like Ancient Aliens is that they're frequently covering topics I'd love to learn more about, but they poo poo it all up with hogwash.

Yea when i actually went to looked into the coffin lid that they say is a space ship I learned a lot about Mayan symbolism and how they saw life and death.

I also saw that doc where they walked a statue across the island with just ropes. Pretty neat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just heard from a friend that his 6 yr old daughter recently developed a fascination for cryptids and has started inventing & drawing her own. Her favourite "real world" cryptid is the Mothman, she thinks it got a bad rap and is actually a benevolent creature that tries to warn people about upcoming disasters. I pointed out to him that there's a bunch of plush Mothman toys available online and he immediately ordered one for her birthday. :3:

twistedmentat posted:

I also saw that doc where they walked a statue across the island with just ropes. Pretty neat.

There's been a whole bunch of similar experiments where they erected huge Egyptian-style obelisks or transported giant blocks of stone using only the materials available in ancient times, once you figure out the trick it's not all that complicated and often takes much less people than they'd previously assumed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgekJnMeNiY

There's also Egyptian obelisks and moai on Rapa Nui that are still lying unfinished in the quarries where the workers had abandoned them back in the day for various reasons, their creation is very much non-mysterious.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's the 55th anniversary of the Westall UFO sighting! Around about 11am on April 6 1966 in a suburb of Melbourne Australia a school full of children and teachers watched a silvery object fly over the trees and land in the field next to the school. A bunch of the kids actually jumped the fence and got pretty close to the object, but it soon took off vertically and flew away. Some accounts say there was only the one object, some say there were three and the other two stayed up in the air. Legend says that one of the teachers took photos but her camera & roll of film were confiscated, men in suits warned people not to talk about what they saw, one of the school children was taken away in an ambulance and her classmates never saw her again, and several airplanes were following the UFO even though there are no records of flights in that area for that day. Spooky! The official explanation is that it was a weather balloon which is fairly convincing because a high altitude silver weather balloon was launched that morning and the winds would have blown it approximately in the direction of the school.

The local council commemorated the event with a children's playground and one of my friends went and visited it today:

The toilet block is covered in a space-themed mural:

Various informative signs around the playground:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just heard from a friend that his 6 yr old daughter recently developed a fascination for cryptids and has started inventing & drawing her own. Her favourite "real world" cryptid is the Mothman, she thinks it got a bad rap and is actually a benevolent creature that tries to warn people about upcoming disasters. I pointed out to him that there's a bunch of plush Mothman toys available online and he immediately ordered one for her birthday. :3:

There's been a whole bunch of similar experiments where they erected huge Egyptian-style obelisks or transported giant blocks of stone using only the materials available in ancient times, once you figure out the trick it's not all that complicated and often takes much less people than they'd previously assumed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgekJnMeNiY

There's also Egyptian obelisks and moai on Rapa Nui that are still lying unfinished in the quarries where the workers had abandoned them back in the day for various reasons, their creation is very much non-mysterious.

Yea, a lot of the answers have just been laying around but these guys have never, ever updated any knowlage so they're still operating as if all this is some big mystery. It's like they also ignore that the pyramids were built where they were because there is a quarry right there and its near the river. I like the theory of the internal ramp for the pyramids, that it was build as part of the pyramid itself rather than external ramps. Anyways, basically anything mysterious from the past can actually be figured out using the materials that they had access too combined with their knowlage at hand.

Though when you get down to it, it is sort of a religion with Chariots of the Gods as their text and Von Danniken as their prophet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I liked the meme of an Englishman telling his Egyptian girlfriend about Stonehenge and getting told "That's pathetic, and your ancestors were weak."

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
On other matters, I saw a talk some years ago from a guy who was studying reports of "megafoot", like bigfoot but much taller, like 12 ft or higher. He had an interesting take, along the lines that megafoot was ridiculous (how could a 15 ft tall ape escape detection, what would it eat, is it even anatomically possible) but there were still a sizeable number of plausible reports by reputable people. So, what does this tell you about observation - are our senses that easily fooled? The Fortean Times sometimes talks about "outer space" and "inner space" explanations, wondering if inner states are a better explanation for a lot of Forteana.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That is adorable :3:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I've had an interest in cryptids since elementary school, I thought I knew all there was but you guys have posted so much unfamiliar, interesting stuff!

my attempts at obscure contributions:

Mysteries Beyond Earth (1975) - great example of 1970s woo-woo. This cheap documentary goes into UFOs, then wanders over to just about every pile of nonsense that was big at the time - witchcraft, talking to plants, ghosts, Bigfoot, Nessie, and lost civilizations.

This was on TNT's "100% Weird" feature in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmGyV72B58

Now here is a something of a 'white whale' for me. There is a book called The Field Guide to North American Monsters (very tongue-in-cheek) which features a monster called Penelope, basically a person mutated by toxic waste that roams the Sierra Nevada.

I am starting to conclude the source of this story is ONLY from that book as a complete troll, but I do wonder if anyone has heard of it elsewhere.

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=163

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Now here is a something of a 'white whale' for me. There is a book called The Field Guide to North American Monsters (very tongue-in-cheek) which features a monster called Penelope, basically a person mutated by toxic waste that roams the Sierra Nevada.

I am starting to conclude the source of this story is ONLY from that book as a complete troll, but I do wonder if anyone has heard of it elsewhere.

It makes me think Fallout New Vegas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phy posted:

There's been experiments where people has tried to walk the statues into place with ropes (most famously by Thor Heyerdahl) and it showed that it is totally doable.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

M_Sinistrari posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

That argument doesn't hold up considering no one suggests that the roman triumphal arcs was made by aliens even though there is not a single practical thing about them and that they are extremely extravagant.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

That Australian playground reminds me of one I used to play at here in Texas when I was little. It was an absolutely huge saucer with a ladder running up through it and even in the early/mid eighties had that wonderful smell of rust and hot metal. I took my daughter there not too long ago, and uh...it’s not quite as big as I remember :doh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

That Australian playground reminds me of one I used to play at here in Texas when I was little. It was an absolutely huge saucer with a ladder running up through it and even in the early/mid eighties had that wonderful smell of rust and hot metal. I took my daughter there not too long ago, and uh...it’s not quite as big as I remember :doh:

Aliens shrunk it, obviously

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I think you may have a point, there’s no way that thing was that small when I was a four years old. I’m not joking that thing was huge and even when new smelled like it had been wiped down with diesel and and rust, obviously to trick us. Thankfully childhood butt stuff happened elsewhere so it’s still a good memory.

Bulgaroctonus has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Apr 6, 2021

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Daughter giant, so what?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alhazred posted:

That argument doesn't hold up considering no one suggests that the roman triumphal arcs was made by aliens even though there is not a single practical thing about them and that they are extremely extravagant.

This isn't a good example because we know exactly who commissioned them, designed them, how they were built, and when they were built. And yes, we know a lot about the pyramids as well, but there is still some gray area where scientists have had to speculate about to some degree, like transportation of the stones. Which is the thing that I think ultimately gets people's imagination going the most. The Roman Arches aren't even that old in the grand scheme of things. The Pyramids predate them by almost 3000 years so information is going to be spottier.

I actually regret agreeing that there is probably some racist element, because I really don't think there is. I don't think the stuff that gets AA people worked up is rooted in some racist idea that non-white people can't build amazing things. There are just certain things that have an extra layer of mystery, and my point isn't that white people can't recognize symbolic or decorative things. it's that the things that trigger these AA people have a bit of extra mystique to them that isn't hard to identify. poo poo, Stonehenge is in the UK and is probably the #2 target for speculation by Ancient Alien types after the pyramids.

It just feels like people are looking for this nefarious element to it that is either false or being really overstated.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Obvious photoshop, no child could be that large.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Great Pyramid was more ancient to Caesar than he is to us.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

veni veni veni posted:

It just feels like people are looking for this nefarious element to it that is either false or being really overstated.

It's probably worth saying that most ancient aliens people probably aren't consciously or deliberately being racist, there's no plan in that sense. But devaluing and ignoring the achievements of people from outside Europe has a long history, even in mainstream research - consider the idea that it must have been Phoenicians that built Great Zimbabwe rather than Shona. It can even be argued that attributing Stonehenge to aliens plays into ideas about "primitive" people that are rooted in racism and colonialism. That's why it's worth explicitly pushing back on this stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It has the potential to reinforce racist ideas i suppose, and if you go outside of the AA stuff yeah, there are legit examples of it throughout history.

But I think in this specific case, the relics that the AA people fixate on have some notable element of mystery about them and thats the reason they get targeted. The root of it isn't "aliens built it because whites didn't build it" it's "I don't fully understand how this was built so aliens did it, because I am into aliens". I feel like stonhenge being their #2 favorite "alien" structure kind of kills the idea that it's racially motivated, even subconsciously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Spurred on by this conversation, I started listening to the Our Fake History episodes on Easter Island. I'm only through the first one, but very highly recommended. Apparently the first ship that made contact with the Rapa Nui people assumed that the Moai heads were made out of clay because they couldn't imagine these remote indigenous people sculpting monumental statues. They also slaughtered them for no reason then peaced out.

It dives pretty deep into the history of the Kon Tiki expedition, the purported ancient lost early (white) civilization that built all the great works of ancient times, and the infamous figure behind the aliens hypothesis. And the fact that yes, all of these ideas are supremely racist. That doesn't mean that every person who believes in these theories is necessarily racist—but they're either racist or so ignorant of the history and figures behind their own beliefs that they're morons. So. Not a great look either way.

The episode does look at the history of how the Polynesian people navigated the ocean and how the Rapa Nui people likely ended up on the island so it's full of all sorts of other interesting angles too.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

veni veni veni posted:

The problem goes all the way back to the source with Erich von Daniken saying stuff like "black people were a failed experiment before the aliens made white people" and the ancient astronauts being blond Nordic aliens who "uplifted" humans through interbreeding. He also sent a crank letter to Gerald Ford iirc claiming his ancient astronaut idea could fight communism and promote "traditional values" - charming dude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong white people are racist as gently caress I'm just hesitant to call this specific breed of nutjob racially motivated.

I will not see this man slandered

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ancient Astronaut theories seem to be the professional purview of people who:

a) Lack a high school level understanding of physics

b) Don't have the faintest idea what bored people did before television was invented

c) Base their historical and anthropological notions on racist poo poo from 1950s cartoons

d) Want to write books and get History Channel interview gigs despite a-c being true.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

veni veni veni posted:

Members of the Centauri emperor’s court deal in lies and half-truths all day long.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Here's a video of researchers walking a replica easter island head:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvES47OdmY

Its smaller than the real heads but the principle will remain the same.

I think people are forgetting that what we consider practical and what ancient people consider practical are very different. If you believe, and you entire society is built around the belief, that building these great structures is going to placate your gods or give you a favourable afterlife then it is of immensely practical value to you to build these things.

If I as a pharaoh am told from birth that the time I spend alive is only going to be fraction of my actual existence, and that the vast majority of my existences comfort is dependant on building a great tomb or pleasing the gods so they favor me in the afterlife by building massive temples then it's exactly the same value as having vast life savings or other retirement funds are to me today.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've never heard of that one before despite growing up in California, but the description sounds an awful lot like the wendigo. The original Native American version, not the modern bigfoot or deer-antler version. It kind of seems like they just moved it west and gave it a "scientific" origin.

veni veni veni posted:

Don't get me wrong white people are racist as gently caress I'm just hesitant to call this specific breed of nutjob racially motivated.

I think this whole discussion can be summed up that the originators of ancient alien stuff were pretty darn racist, but the modern believers aren't necessarily coming at it from a conciously racist place, and a lot of them probably aren't even aware of its origins.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Knormal posted:

I've never heard of that one before despite growing up in California, but the description sounds an awful lot like the wendigo. The original Native American version, not the modern bigfoot or deer-antler version. It kind of seems like they just moved it west and gave it a "scientific" origin.

Speaking of this, Ravenous is on Disney+ Star Service if you're outside the US. That's probably the first place I ever heard of the Wendigo.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Funny you say. I looked up the author of The Field Guide to North American Monsters (where I believe the Penelope cryptid originated) and it turns out this guy Haden Blackman first wrote this book, then went on to work on Star Wars video games, then various comic books and other video games as a writer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haden_Blackman Maybe he has an account here.

Not how I imagined who the author would be as a kid. The book kind of freaked me out in parts - another entry included the Cannibal Babe (which cries in the woods at night, luring well-meaning people to their doom).

Knormal posted:

This makes a lot of sense too!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Members of the Centauri emperor’s court deal in lies and half-truths all day long.

I would definitely believe that Tsoukalos cheats at cards with his prehensile dick

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

quote:

If I as a pharaoh am told from birth that the time I spend alive is only going to be fraction of my actual existence, and that the vast majority of my existences comfort is dependant on building a great tomb or pleasing the gods so they favor me in the afterlife by building massive temples then it's exactly the same value as having vast life savings or other retirement funds are to me today.

Jeff bezos could build a pyramid bigger the great one and use it as his tomb. And pay the guards to stop someone breaking in to steal his crypto currency. Would be a vastly better use for his wealth. Just put it somewhere and buy an area big enough to fit a few more in the future.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Since we're on the topic of pyramids I might as well point out one of my favorite bits of pyramid triva: Nicolas cage has had one premade for himself for when he dies.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/nicolas-cage-s-pyramid-tomb

Anyway, "this ancient civilization was actually built by aliens" conspiracies never sat right with me even as a little kid. As a child I already knew that humans had made airplanes, televisions, and skyscrapers. Making a pyramid didn't seem much harder than making those things. Humans were good at making stuff and figuring out how to make other stuff, they didn't need aliens for that. That was my reasoning as a wee babe, and I gotta say present me agrees with past me on this one.

Past me also thought mummies and the mummification process was hella cool, past me was right about that too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think a single person here believes the pyramids were built by aliens so I doubt you'll get many arguments on that one. We are just discussing whether or not the people who believe that are racist and dumb or just normal dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think a single person here believes the pyramids were built by aliens so I doubt you'll get many arguments on that one. We are just discussing whether or not the people who believe that are racist and dumb or just normal dumb.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to argue with anyone, just reminiscing on my childhood thought patterns.