Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Thomamelas posted:

The methods for detonating it were pretty poo poo. But that's okay because so was the gyroscope on them. There were reported cases of subs firing a Mk 14 only for it to make a circular run back at the sub firing it. Also the issues with premature detonation.

Captain Dick O'Kane, the Medal of Honor winning submarine captain who was blown from his own conning tower by a circular run, estimated that about half the US submarines lost in the Pacific were lost to circular runs from their own torpedoes.

Submariners in WWII got hosed by their higher ups pretty bad, early in the war US boats were much deeper diving than the Japanese thought, so after an attack run they would simply dive to max depth and chill out, while the Japanese depth charges exploded harmlessly hundreds of feet above them.

Then some congressman bragged about that fact to the papers and Japanese intelligence picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Elviscat posted:

Captain Dick O'Kane, the Medal of Honor winning submarine captain who was blown from his own conning tower by a circular run, estimated that about half the US submarines lost in the Pacific were lost to circular runs from their own torpedoes.

Submariners in WWII got hosed by their higher ups pretty bad, early in the war US boats were much deeper diving than the Japanese thought, so after an attack run they would simply dive to max depth and chill out, while the Japanese depth charges exploded harmlessly hundreds of feet above them.

Then some congressman bragged about that fact to the papers and Japanese intelligence picked it up.

Ugh, like when whatshisface bragged about there being US subs in in an area a few years ago. Gee thanks, now our adversaries have confirmations for anything sonar hits or noises they might have suspected were our subs.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Elviscat posted:

Silent Victory (Clay Blair's two volume history of the submarine campaign) is a great read

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Elviscat posted:

JFC, this guy was a total lowlife:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May

Andrew Jackson May (June 24, 1875 – September 6, 1959) was a Kentucky attorney, an influential New Deal-era politician, and chairman of the House Military Affairs Committee during World War II, infamous for his rash disclosure of classified naval information that resulted in the loss of 10 American submarines and 800 sailors,[1] and his subsequent conviction for bribery. May was a Democratic member of United States House of Representatives from Kentucky during the 72nd to 79th sessions of Congress.[2]

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Andrew Jackson May (June 24, 1875 – September 6, 1959) was a Kentucky attorney, an influential New Deal-era politician, and chairman of the House Military Affairs Committee during World War II, infamous for his rash disclosure of classified naval information that resulted in the loss of 10 American submarines and 800 sailors,[1] and his subsequent conviction for bribery. May was a Democratic member of United States House of Representatives from Kentucky during the 72nd to 79th sessions of Congress.[2]

Kentucky has a fine history of politically loving everything up

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm reminds of that Kentucky goon in another thread who tried to claim that Kentuckians only do stupid poo poo because people keep making fun of them for being stupid...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/cDV1uvU.mp4

This guy manages to almost die while removing a pizza from the oven

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That can't be real.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you only have one oven mitt, but also have the wrist strength of a wet noodle.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I want to see him pump gas next

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Kentucky sure knows how to pick 'em

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'll give Henry Clay backhanded credit for delaying the civil war until the north had an insurmountable lead in rail technology

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Elviscat posted:

Japanese depth charges exploded harmlessly hundreds of feet above them.

Reminds me of the Falklands War, where Argentinian aircraft were bouncing their bombs off the decks of British ships (because they were flying too low for the fuses to trigger properly), only for a journalist to reveal it on the BBC news.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm reminds of that Kentucky goon in another thread who tried to claim that Kentuckians only do stupid poo poo because people keep making fun of them for being stupid...
Don't they have julep tureens on every public square? Chill out, KY

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cthulu Carl posted:

Systematically destroying the US from the inside out at every possible turn just to own the libs, okay KY.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

aphid_licker posted:

It's the guy from that old tumblr story!

quote:

In my junior year of high school, this guy asked me on a date. He rented a redbox movie and made a pizza. We were watching the movie and the oven beeped so the pizza was done. He looked me dead in the eye and said, “This is the worst part.” I then watched this boy open the oven and pull the pizza out with his bare hands, rack and all, screaming at the top of his lungs. We never had a second date.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Whenever I see something like this, my first question is, why is the camera person recording instead of helping? It seems rather staged.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I burned myself getting a pizza in college. Slipped out of my hands, I instinctively caught it, but the momentum caused me to touch the oven door with the back of my wrist.

My roommate that year threw one in the oven and passed out. I woke up to a smokey apartment, him splayed on his bed, and a black disk in the oven. I threw it on the balcony and went back to bed. No smoke alarm, I think it was broken from when the people upstairs over filled the tub on the first weekend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well that escalated quickly. Audio, to increase the tension.

https://i.imgur.com/ofjzdja.mp4

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Anchor brake failures are remarkably violent, yes. And apparently people like filming them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Uthor posted:

I burned myself getting a pizza in college. Slipped out of my hands, I instinctively caught it, but the momentum caused me to touch the oven door with the back of my wrist.

My roommate that year threw one in the oven and passed out. I woke up to a smokey apartment, him splayed on his bed, and a black disk in the oven. I threw it on the balcony and went back to bed. No smoke alarm, I think it was broken from when the people upstairs over filled the tub on the first weekend.

I put a bunch of burgers on the grill in anticipation of a party at my place, during a swing-shift to mid-shift transition.

No one showed up.

I fell asleep.

The burgers were cooked with an entire fresh cylinder of propane, and were made into charcoal briquettes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Anchor brake failures are remarkably violent, yes. And apparently people like filming them.

It's just anchors doing anchor things, anchor technology has improved shockingly little in the past century, and they all long to be free of their metal captors.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's time to get a techbro billionaire on this thing, anchors could fail in much more advanced ways!

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well that escalated quickly. Audio, to increase the tension.

https://i.imgur.com/ofjzdja.mp4

What are those people on the side doing and why don't they run away?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/Mundo_Nomada/status/1379670510661857281

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I see they turned on their monitor.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I see they turned on their monitor.

:bustem:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Ky3sCha.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

He is going to gently caress up what, his eyeball, his hand, where's this going to goOOOOOO WHAT THE gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jetz0r posted:

It's the guy from that old tumblr story!

The thing about that is, when I was 13 or 14, my parents and brother were out of the house for the weekend (a big time rarity, since it was always one or the other). I had a rare set of BBQ Hot Pockets, which was also special because my mom only bought the bulk packs, and as any goon should know those are only available in Pepperoni Pizza or Ham and Cheese.

Wanting it to be special, I cooked them in the oven. When it was time to remove them, for some reason I didn't think it would be hot, so I removed the cookie sheet with my bare hand. I did not scream, I did not drop the pan, I quietly placed it on the stovetop, and then went to the bathroom and slathered my hand in aloe.

For about a week, I had a huge blister on my pointer finger, that one of my friends called my "E.T. Finger"

Uthor posted:

He who has not made at least some minor contact in the oven when removing a pizza has never lived, my roommate has a shirt with about a thousand burn marks from removing pizzas from the oven. The only reason I don't have one is because I don't wear sleeves.

Uthor posted:

Shortly after I moved out on my own, I destroyed a microwave by putting a potato in it for 15 minutes, I then left to get something to eat with said potato. I returned to an apartment filled with black smoke, the microwave was DOA, and there was a lump of carbon where the potato had once been. I opened the windows in the middle of December in Kansas, and turned the fan on. The smoke alarm didn't even go off until everything had practically dissipated.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I burned my wrist on the same spot multiple times during the few months I was a pizza shop kitchen dude and I still have the scar. it’s a badge of honor

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

What are those people on the side doing and why don't they run away?

The ones right next to the wildcat (the drum the chain is going over) are frantically trying to close the brake fast enough to slow and stop the anchor chain. Here's an overhead shot of a similar on-deck setup:

The wildcat here is labeled as a gypsy which is what they're called in the UK.

Anyway that brake wheel isn't a great place to stand when the anchor chain has run away, but so long as you're offset from the wildcat itself, you're probably not going to get torn in half by a hundred pound chain link thrashing on the end.

I doubt the anchor chain actually snaps in the video, more that it runs out and the entire thing went to the bottom. At a certain point it no longer makes sense to physically attach the end of the chain to the ship, since if your whole anchor and 90% of the chain are getting dragged overboard, whatever you'd attach it to would follow the chain right through the spurling pipe and overboard.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

By popular demand posted:

It's time to get a techbro billionaire on this thing, anchors could fail in much more advanced ways!

Have we considered anchor blockchain technology yet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Do commercial vessels not paint their penultimate shot yellow and the danger shot red?

After looking at it again, I can’t even pick out painted detachable links, so they might not mark any shots, which seems nuts to me. How do they measure the amount of chain paid out? Is there a sensor or something?

E: a shot is 90 ft of chain.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Deteriorata posted:

Whenever I see something like this, my first question is, why is the camera person recording instead of helping? It seems rather staged.

You can tell things are already going poorly when the footage begins, one of the racks is already vertical.

My guess is the camera person saw their drunk friend loving up and started to film without knowing how bad it was about to get.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do commercial vessels not paint their penultimate shot yellow and the danger shot red?

After looking at it again, I can’t even pick out painted detachable links, so they might not mark any shots, which seems nuts to me. How do they measure the amount of chain paid out? Is there a sensor or something?

E: a shot is 90 ft of chain.

The paint is faded but I was able to spot some shot markers through the smoke. The danger shot yellow I could even pick out though it wasn't yellow through to the end.

Have some more runaway anchors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nth Doctor posted:

The paint is faded but I was able to spot some shot markers through the smoke. The danger shot yellow I could even pick out though it wasn't yellow through to the end.

Have some more runaway anchors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68

I was watching on my phone and couldn't make them out. The smoke and rust makes it difficult. I've done everything up on the forecastle from line handling to maulman on the anchor. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere near a runaway anchor. That's a get the gently caress out and come back after it's done type of situation.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Apologies for the photo of my TV, but an early season 2 episode of Mythbusters (Barrel of Bricks) has a scene of Jamie describing Adam as a hasty worker who makes mistakes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kitfox88 posted:

I burned my wrist on the same spot multiple times during the few months I was a pizza shop kitchen dude and I still have the scar. it’s a badge of honor

Stupidest kitchen injury, go!

I boiled some water in a kettle, set the kettle on the counter, reached over the kettle to get a tea bag, burned the poo poo out of my hand with the steam coming out of the spout. Had the biggest blister I've ever had for a few days and the skin was raw for weeks as it healed. It took about a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Uthor posted:

Stupidest kitchen injury, go!

I dropped a kitchen knife. As I was taught, I threw my hands away from it and hopped back, never catch a falling knife!
I hopped back into my dog and stumbled and fell over the dog into my coffee hutch, knocking the coffee maker onto my head. It was off and cold, but I still got all wet and bonked on the head :(