Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
First classes hot racking was when they started considering it. There were still plenty of times that more junior 1sts would be hot racking. Honestly we probably just couldn't keep people on board long enough to make it a so that more 1sts were hot racking. In a one year period, we had roughly 25 people tap. Ranging from nubs to even a couple chiefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1379121912111104002?s=19

He's not wrong

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Always live in town if you can. No one wants to visit you in any kind of base housing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nick Soapdish posted:

He's not wrong

Lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

piL posted:

Always live in town if you can. No one wants to visit you in any kind of base housing.

Ennnnh...this isn't as true in someplace like Sigonella. When you rent a place off-base, you're renting just a "people containment unit."

You'll be lucky if the place still has windows after the contract is signed. It *won't* have staples people assume places will have elsewhere, like...cabinets, cupboards, countertops, or sometimes electrical outlets that haven't had the wiring removed so it can be replaced/reinstalled by a juiced-in contractor. The base housing office now offers temporary furniture, but whatever you buy, the landlord is hoping to score from you for a song when your tour is up.

If they could remove the floors, they'd do it, then admonish you for not just balancing on the rebar.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ennnnh...this isn't as true in someplace like Sigonella. When you rent a place off-base, you're renting just a "people containment unit."

You'll be lucky if the place still has windows after the contract is signed. It *won't* have staples people assume places will have elsewhere, like...cabinets, cupboards, countertops, or sometimes electrical outlets that haven't had the wiring removed so it can be replaced/reinstalled by a juiced-in contractor. The base housing office now offers temporary furniture, but whatever you buy, the landlord is hoping to score from you for a song when your tour is up.

If they could remove the floors, they'd do it, then admonish you for not just balancing on the rebar.

Fair enough. My experience extends only to CONUS and Japan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Of course, in Sigonella's case, they built the Marinai Housing Complex in a bad spot outside of NAS 2 and...well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIDqk4QjYQ

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Who among us hasn’t had a hatchet fight or two at the barracks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had to forcibly remove a throwing hatchet from my roomate who was drunkenly attempting to split a hazelnut, held between his fingers, with the pointy end.

Story checks out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’d like to see how he would react to the PPV off base in Norfolk. :allears:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Looks like there’s a warfare pin program specific for NOSC’s now. Lol.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Lol. Can't wait to go to the NOSC for the first time in forever so I can work less efficiently than I did at home this weekend. Ten months left.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Apparently it’s for people working at to NOSC specificly and not reservists per say.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I missed this one in the scroll. We actually just did active shooter training this morning and I thought I was misremembering something

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/06/active-duty-sailor-killed-after-shooting-2-adults-in-frederick-md-navy-confirms#more-84817

Crab Dad posted:

Apparently it’s for people working at to NOSC specificly and not reservists per say.

Are you talking about an IDW pin or something else?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

I missed this one in the scroll. We actually just did active shooter training this morning and I thought I was misremembering something

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/06/active-duty-sailor-killed-after-shooting-2-adults-in-frederick-md-navy-confirms#more-84817

Are you talking about an IDW pin or something else?

CNRFC/RCC/NOSC Commands,

Effective immediately, the Personnel Qualification Standard (PQS) (NAVEDTRA 43075A) for Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) staff is in effect. This PQS cancels any previous edition.

An extensive review and subsequent revision of the NOSC PQS was recently completed to ensure the relevancy, validity, integrity, and focus on Navy Reserve Warfighting Readiness. To be eligible for this PQS, Sailors must be assigned to Commander, Naval Reserve Forces Command (CNRFC), a Reserve Component Command (RCC) or a Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC).

With the release of NAVEDTRA 43075A, the following program changes are in effect:

A. The program is mandatory for all NOSCs.
B. Requalification for AC, FTS or SELRES previously qualified under NAVEDTRA 43075 is not required.
C. Sailors E1 and above assigned to a NOSC must enroll in the program.
E. Commands must have a billeted Navy CO/OIC and SEL to establish and maintain a NOSC PQS program.
F. The NOSC PQS program coordinator must be an E7 or above and shall be designated by the command CO/OIC. Exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the command CO/OIC.
G. Sailors must complete all job-related and command or unit qualification requirements prior to enrolling in the NOSC PQS program, (i.e. Occupational Advancement Requirement Standards, etc.)
H. For commands with other PQS programs, Sailors will qualify in the command’s primary warfare mission area first.
I. Sailors assigned TAD to an aforementioned command for the purpose of qualifying in the NOSC PQS is not authorized.
J. Sailors authorized TAD or temporarily assigned to an aforementioned command in excess of six-months may qualify in the NOSC PQS; however, it is not mandatory.

Once a Sailor completes a PQS, the following documentation is required for qualification:

1. Final Qualification cards contained within NAVEDTRA 43075A completed and signed by the CO/OIC.
2. Qualification annotated in NSIPS/FLTMPS.
3. Report qualification to the command’s respective ISIC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Is the pin a brick wall?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is it a pin or just a PQS to attempt to get people who volunteer to do stuff way out-of-rate for a few years to possibly be competent at their jobs?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh my god it can't possibly be worse than existing warfare pin programs, can it? Of course it can

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It's just a standard workstation PQS. To prove that the NOSC staff has a bare minimum of competency and a generic understanding of the other watchstations.

Just like you'd get in E-div, O-div, etc. Just means you, as a six-month-report E6 in Medical, can't give the Seaman Salute to every reservist walking in that says "hey, Ops sez my orders are on med hold. Where do they go after you clear them?"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Might as well add warfare pins for everything you can imagine it's not like most of them are worth a poo poo now anyways.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol my mistake but the brick symbol should be a thing. The only pqs I’ve ever really worked on was surface and intelligence so I’m just a dummy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We're all dummies here, friend :)

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

maffew buildings posted:

We're all dummies here, friend :)

StinkyPete Checking in as a dummie :)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crab Dad posted:

CNRFC/RCC/NOSC Commands,

Effective immediately, the Personnel Qualification Standard (PQS) (NAVEDTRA 43075A) for Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC) staff is in effect. This PQS cancels any previous edition.

An extensive review and subsequent revision of the NOSC PQS was recently completed to ensure the relevancy, validity, integrity, and focus on Navy Reserve Warfighting Readiness. To be eligible for this PQS, Sailors must be assigned to Commander, Naval Reserve Forces Command (CNRFC), a Reserve Component Command (RCC) or a Navy Operational Support Center (NOSC).

With the release of NAVEDTRA 43075A, the following program changes are in effect:

A. The program is mandatory for all NOSCs.
B. Requalification for AC, FTS or SELRES previously qualified under NAVEDTRA 43075 is not required.
C. Sailors E1 and above assigned to a NOSC must enroll in the program.
E. Commands must have a billeted Navy CO/OIC and SEL to establish and maintain a NOSC PQS program.
F. The NOSC PQS program coordinator must be an E7 or above and shall be designated by the command CO/OIC. Exceptions will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the command CO/OIC.
G. Sailors must complete all job-related and command or unit qualification requirements prior to enrolling in the NOSC PQS program, (i.e. Occupational Advancement Requirement Standards, etc.)
H. For commands with other PQS programs, Sailors will qualify in the command’s primary warfare mission area first.
I. Sailors assigned TAD to an aforementioned command for the purpose of qualifying in the NOSC PQS is not authorized.
J. Sailors authorized TAD or temporarily assigned to an aforementioned command in excess of six-months may qualify in the NOSC PQS; however, it is not mandatory.

Once a Sailor completes a PQS, the following documentation is required for qualification:

1. Final Qualification cards contained within NAVEDTRA 43075A completed and signed by the CO/OIC.
2. Qualification annotated in NSIPS/FLTMPS.
3. Report qualification to the command’s respective ISIC.

The bolded part is what made me laugh the most. Who the gently caress would want to get sent TAD to a NOSC to qual on a PQS that means absolutely nothing anywhere else?

Of course, truth is always stranger...yadda yadda yadda.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s what made me assume it was a pin or other shiny thing worth wearing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AlternateNu posted:

The bolded part is what made me laugh the most. Who the gently caress would want to get sent TAD to a NOSC to qual on a PQS that means absolutely nothing anywhere else?

Anyone who wants to voluntarily figure out how a NOSC works before being assigned there is good in my book.

The way the NOSCs "support" reservists right now is barely adequate at best, and actively harmful in a lot of cases. Any improvement is welcome.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The most helpful three months of my reserve career was serving at the NOSC and learning who everyone was and showing enough face to be remembered in the future. I may do it again now that there’s been a complete turnover since then.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

AlternateNu posted:

Just as there's people who will visit every command on the base, or every squadron in the air wing to get more coins, there will be people who want to go to commands, even TAD, just to get the shinies.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My roommates det was recalled to main body due to in country COVID related concerns. They're currently in quarantine and will proceed to...hang out a few weeks until being sent back to their det site they were removed from for COVID concerns and stay a month longer than originally scheduled. SEABEEEEEEEEEEES

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Anyone who wants to voluntarily figure out how a NOSC works before being assigned there is good in my book.

I too enjoy meeting Sasquatch.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey Navy goons who know more than me. As a co-parent watching the child while the other parent is underway am I privy to knowing the underway schedule of the ship including the future underways? The ship is doing work ups for deployment next year and we’re in a custody battle so my lawyer needs to know how often/long they’ll be gone so I can apply for primary custody and stop paying child support when I have our daughter the majority of the time but she keeps telling me I am not allowed to know because OPSEC. I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to know but I can’t find the specific instruction that states it because I know spouses can but I’m sure that includes a non-married parent. It’s a LPD so not a sub doing secret squirrel stuff and I have a security clearance so I wanna assume that means I’m able to know the schedule.

It would also be nice to know when they’ll be back and I can plan around that. Right now she’s saying she’ll let me know the day they’re back. She didn’t even tell me she was leaving until the morning she did. :v:

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
As far as I know, even the surface ship schedules are need-to-know basis. A clearance only means you can know the stuff you need to know. We had an admiral tour our sub and there were still places they weren't allowed to go, despite holding much higher clearances than needed for those spaces. Granted, that was a sub. Maybe one of the surface guys could chime in with whether things are different for surface fleet.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey Navy goons who know more than me. As a co-parent watching the child while the other parent is underway am I privy to knowing the underway schedule of the ship including the future underways? The ship is doing work ups for deployment next year and we’re in a custody battle so my lawyer needs to know how often/long they’ll be gone so I can apply for primary custody and stop paying child support when I have our daughter the majority of the time but she keeps telling me I am not allowed to know because OPSEC. I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to know but I can’t find the specific instruction that states it because I know spouses can but I’m sure that includes a non-married parent. It’s a LPD so not a sub doing secret squirrel stuff and I have a security clearance so I wanna assume that means I’m able to know the schedule.

It would also be nice to know when they’ll be back and I can plan around that. Right now she’s saying she’ll let me know the day they’re back. She didn’t even tell me she was leaving until the morning she did. :v:

Perhaps your lawyer could contact the ship's admin office directly? They could ask for a response in writing that the information is unavailable, if that turns out to be the case, or they will tell her chief to fix her situation such that the ship is not getting contacted by divorce lawyers.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Perhaps your lawyer could contact the ship's admin office directly? They could ask for a response in writing that the information is unavailable, if that turns out to be the case, or they will tell her chief to fix her situation such that the ship is not getting contacted by divorce lawyers.

I didn’t want to go this route but I’ll suggest it to my lawyer. I want to work with her and keep her out of trouble and just show her the instruction or at least tell her that I spoke with some internet sea lawyers to confirm I’m right and see if she’s willing to work with me then. I’m trying to go into court showing that I’m trying to work with her every step of the way despite her actively fighting me on literally everything.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
You’re definitely not allowed to know the ships schedule as a default rule.

Perhaps you could ask for data on past deployment or underways for the court case?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

I didn't want to go this route but I'll suggest it to my lawyer. I want to work with her and keep her out of trouble and just show her the instruction or at least tell her that I spoke with some internet sea lawyers to confirm I'm right and see if she's willing to work with me then. I'm trying to go into court showing that I'm trying to work with her every step of the way despite her actively fighting me on literally everything.

If you don't want to reach out to ship admin directly, try contacting the ship's ombudsman. It's their job to communicate with families about schedules.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'd also maybe hope that with historical data of 'lol 8 month deployment' timelines means they assign you default custody and it would be up to the other party to prove that they're available to be a parent now and then?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Surface ship schedules are still controlled/classified information. Contacting the command OMBUDSMAN is definitely the best source of information, but even then they're probably not going to be able to give you specific information beyond general dates for the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ManMythLegend posted:

Surface ship schedules are still controlled/classified information. Contacting the command OMBUDSMAN is definitely the best source of information, but even then they're probably not going to be able to give you specific information beyond general dates for the next few months.

That’s literally all I need. General dates and just a month that they’re planning their deployment and the month they’re planning to be back. Also at least a 24h notice before she leaves and maybe a general week she’ll be back. I don’t know if she’ll be back this week, next week or next month but she keeps saying OPSEC.