Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Data Graham posted:

And now it's the iPhone store.

Also, MAC is the company that makes the computer called an "Apple"
The iPod Touch was universally referred to as an “iTouch” in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I used the term "application" today and I was asked what that was, and I explained that "app" is a truncated form of "application" and I felt really old.

What's a computer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jokes posted:

What's a computer?

https://youtu.be/RH1ekuvSYzE

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Data Graham posted:

According to a Surface Pro ad I keep getting served, what they really need is to go full touchscreen!! Why can't they give you a whole touchscreen instead of just this little bitty bar??

You asked for it
https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple-patents-keyboard-free-macbook-3803412/

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

jokes posted:

I used the term "application" today and I was asked what that was, and I explained that "app" is a truncated form of "application" and I felt really old.

What's a computer?

I've been feeling old for that one since I was like, 22.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They've been using "app" for "application" since the 80s though, it's less about feeling old and more about feeling like some kind of boffin

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It says "Applications" in Finder though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally use the search and my dock enough I haven’t looked in my applications folder in years.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
https://twitter.com/duanrui1205/status/1378721039086067714?s=20

And people say the M1's can't be upgraded.

Sidenote, am I the only person who thinks the M1 looks like an SoC cut exactly in half? It would be really lol if the M2 reveal is just apple putting the other piece on this and being like "bam 16 core desktop".

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

nerdrum posted:

https://twitter.com/duanrui1205/status/1378721039086067714?s=20

And people say the M1's can't be upgraded.

Sidenote, am I the only person who thinks the M1 looks like an SoC cut exactly in half? It would be really lol if the M2 reveal is just apple putting the other piece on this and being like "bam 16 core desktop".

Would be interesting if at least to see how moving the RAM off the die affects performance.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Yeah I'd want a RAM upgrade. 8GB doesn't seem like a lot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dont Touch ME posted:

Would be interesting if at least to see how moving the RAM off the die affects performance.

the ram is not on the chip die

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

mediaphage posted:

the ram is not on the chip die

It sure looks like it is

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

jokes posted:

What's a computer?

This reminds me of my all-time favourite "never admit you're wrong on the internet" moment - someone who was mad at Apple for having the entire concept of "apps" named after their company, and mad at people for perpetuating this marketing nonsense by referring to Android programs as "apps" too.

Ok sure, if you first heard the word "apps" in the context of the iPhone, then yeah you might think it's short for Apple. But it was swiftly and conclusively shown to this person that it had been short for "applications" long before the iPhone was even thought of, and they would not. Back. Down.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

nerdrum posted:

Dont Touch ME posted:

It sure looks like it is

not if you know what you're looking at

ok less snark:

See the green border? You can't see much of it because 99% of its surface is covered by other things, but that's an organic substrate. It's essentially a miniature printed circuit board on which one or more other devices are mounted.

The silvery thing on the left side with an apple logo is a heatspreader. Just a piece of metal that's reasonably thermally conductive, glued on top of other things.

Underneath the heatspreader (not visible) is the M1 System-on-Chip, a monolithic piece of silicon, aka the "die". It connects to the organic substrate through solder bumps, and to the heatspreader through some kind of thermal interface material.

The two black plastic things on the right side are LPDDR4 memory packages. They connect to the organic substrate through solder balls. There are multiple LPDDR4 memory die inside each one of those black rectangles, with internal wiring of a different type than the main package. Apple buys whole LPDDR4 packages and solders them to the M1; this kind of thing is called "Package-on-Package" memory, or PoP.

So no, the M1 memory isn't "on die", and nothing's been cut in half. You're just looking at a version of PoP which Apple's been using in iPads for a while now. (guess what M1's lineage is?)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bobstar posted:

This reminds me of my all-time favourite "never admit you're wrong on the internet" moment - someone who was mad at Apple for having the entire concept of "apps" named after their company, and mad at people for perpetuating this marketing nonsense by referring to Android programs as "apps" too.

Ok sure, if you first heard the word "apps" in the context of the iPhone, then yeah you might think it's short for Apple. But it was swiftly and conclusively shown to this person that it had been short for "applications" long before the iPhone was even thought of, and they would not. Back. Down.

Now with "podcasts" they might have a point (except I'm pretty sure it wasn't Apple who came up with the term there either)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aren't those factory available options, and aren't there a couple ninja-skilled soldering places that will upgrade the fixed 8GB of RAM on the MBP's to 16GB?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anything is upgradeable if you can surface-mount solder. See: DosDude1 making crazy poo poo like a G4 Pismo

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Now with "podcasts" they might have a point (except I'm pretty sure it wasn't Apple who came up with the term there either)

Did that term actually come from iPod? I’ve never thought about it before.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CFox posted:

yup

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CFox posted:

yes

I don’t know if Apple made it up as well, but they definitely began pushing it on iTunes starting in like ‘04-05

man, I still remember ‘04-06 era podcasts...basically the Ricky Gervais Show and nothing else

and then video podcasts becoming a thing. channel frederator is where I saw Adventure Time like 2 years before it was out on Cartoon Network

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

“iPod” + “Broadcast” = “Podcast”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know the term podcast predated the "Podcasts" item showing up in the sidebar of iTunes. It seemed at the time like it was just acknowledging a widespread term that even Zune users were grudgingly using by then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I know the term podcast predated the "Podcasts" item showing up in the sidebar of iTunes. It seemed at the time like it was just acknowledging a widespread term that even Zune users were grudgingly using by then

if you google about it it was coined by a guardian journo in 2k4

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Data Graham posted:

Microsoft tried to popularized the term "blogcasts" as a replacement. It, uh, didn't catch on.

Early on, Apple came very close to carpet-bombing all of the "podcast" services and software programs with cease-and-desist letters for treading on Apple's trademarks, until someone said "hey, wait a minute, shouldn't we be downright thrilled that this entire new field of media has the name of one of our products encoded into it?" and they realized that podcast becoming the generic term for internet-delivered subscription audio shows was all upside for Apple.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

weirdo techsexperson leo laporte tried to push netcasts as an alternative iirc which obv did not take off

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

mediaphage posted:

weirdo techsexperson leo laporte tried to push netcasts as an alternative iirc which obv did not take off

then he netcasted his dick all over the place

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Someone (I think it might have been Microsoft?) tried to claim that POD stood for 'portable on demand', and therefore couldn't be trademarked by Apple.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah well Microsoft also tried their damnedest to popularize the term "web" to mean "website", like as in "Microsoft IIS can host many webs on a single server, and each web is stored in its own folder" etc.

Still gonna take a few more decades for me to get over the hubristic poo poo that was 90s Microsoft

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bing it!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah well Microsoft also tried their damnedest to popularize the term "web" to mean "website", like as in "Microsoft IIS can host many webs on a single server, and each web is stored in its own folder" etc.

Still gonna take a few more decades for me to get over the hubristic poo poo that was 90s Microsoft

Oh my god this is obscene

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lol remember when TWiT tried to sue Twitter for infringement?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol remember when TWiT tried to sue Twitter for infringement?

Well TWiT did exist before "twttr" and Twitter agreed to not get into audio or video, which they ended up doing anyways.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Well TWiT did exist before "twttr" and Twitter agreed to not get into audio or video, which they ended up doing anyways.

yeah but also gently caress leo laporte

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but also gently caress leo laporte

this but also literally nobody is going to confuse the two, which is important

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

BobHoward posted:

not if you know what you're looking at

ok less snark:

See the green border? You can't see much of it because 99% of its surface is covered by other things, but that's an organic substrate. It's essentially a miniature printed circuit board on which one or more other devices are mounted.

The silvery thing on the left side with an apple logo is a heatspreader. Just a piece of metal that's reasonably thermally conductive, glued on top of other things.

Underneath the heatspreader (not visible) is the M1 System-on-Chip, a monolithic piece of silicon, aka the "die". It connects to the organic substrate through solder bumps, and to the heatspreader through some kind of thermal interface material.

The two black plastic things on the right side are LPDDR4 memory packages. They connect to the organic substrate through solder balls. There are multiple LPDDR4 memory die inside each one of those black rectangles, with internal wiring of a different type than the main package. Apple buys whole LPDDR4 packages and solders them to the M1; this kind of thing is called "Package-on-Package" memory, or PoP.

So no, the M1 memory isn't "on die", and nothing's been cut in half. You're just looking at a version of PoP which Apple's been using in iPads for a while now. (guess what M1's lineage is?)

Nice rundown. I wonder what their reasoning is for not just incorporating the entire thing in a single die? Do they source their memory from external vendors?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

Nice rundown. I wonder what their reasoning is for not just incorporating the entire thing in a single die? Do they source their memory from external vendors?

It’s probably significantly cheaper.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dont Touch ME posted:

There isn't any reasoning, it's just the way things work. Logic (microprocessors, GPUs, etc) and high density memories (DRAM, flash) are built using fundamentally incompatible manufacturing processes; you can't put both into one die.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

this but also literally nobody is going to confuse the two, which is important

Leo’s fine what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I was watching Babylon 5 last night and a character looked up some secret backchannel info on an "interweb."