Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I care!

I don't even play Widow but that skin rules and I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I kept owning an enemy Ashe player with Baptiste so hard, that she accused me of buying my account.

I didn't realize there was a lucrative market for mid-gold healer accounts.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Widow skin is super sick but I don't really play her, I don't play much Gengu either... hoping for some sick skins for my guys and gals this is my fav event as far as skins go (Halloween is second ofc)

If anyone wants to buy a gold/plat tank account with low silver DPS hmu I'm willing to haggle :black101:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1379464227463819266

Heck yes I've been learning 76 lately, this is one I will need to have

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

My care levels will spike to 2016 levels if we get a canon-be-damned Deadlock Mei or casual Dr Zhou skin in the next Anniversary event.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Where is Stahlhelm Reinhardt?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Another year of Archives, another year of people diving in on the two OR-14s at the end of Uprising and wiping because there's several Bastions covering them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

pointlessone posted:

Another year of Archives, another year of people diving in on the two OR-14s at the end of Uprising and wiping because there's several Bastions covering them.

That at least doable.
The middle column one, where shooting one enemy heals every other enemy is the real team tester.

Stop Ashe throwing those fat 5-man dynamites. You just gave everyone huge regen. :argh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bioshock Zenyatta is the only good skin this year.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bioshock Zenyatta is the only good skin this year.

Umm did u see Zaryas dragon cannon???

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

black.lion posted:

Umm did u see Zaryas dragon cannon???

Yes sorry, "Zarya as an Eastern-Slavic knight carrying a dragon gun" is the other one.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

This is what peak-Zarya looks like:

Just add gold gun and she's perfect for defeating the enemies of the motherland.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

adhuin posted:

That at least doable.
The middle column one, where shooting one enemy heals every other enemy is the real team tester.

Stop Ashe throwing those fat 5-man dynamites. You just gave everyone huge regen. :argh:

My normal crew isn't going to be able to play together until the weekend. The normal versions are bad enough, there's no way I'm doing the challenges with randos.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Any or all of orisa, bastion, mercy is enough to win any of them. Sombra or mei or rein help with the unbreakable shields. I just played orisa on each because nobody would pick tanks. She completely wrecks the AOE damage one, and can focus fire for the healing one. Rein is probably better on the shields.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I've played a couple days after not playing for a couple months, and my SR has been sailing, 500 points in DPS, then I didn't want to wreck my ranking so I played healer for a while and I have almost 500 there too. I don't think I magically got that much better, it's more evidence in favor of engagement based matchmaking/ELO hell etc.

I noticed a streak of bad queues today and wondered what was up. Of course it's because there's an event going on and people who don't know how to play the game are back again.

It still seems kind of bonkers to think that Overwatch's ELO is accurate when it can vary 200-700 SR depending on the time you queue. I also think this explains ELO hell: the lower your SR, the more likely you are to be affected by casuals coming in and out of the game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well, never mind, I'm already banned again. Back to apex!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

xtal posted:

Well, never mind, I'm already banned again. Back to apex!

Oh goodness what have you done?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My last two bans have been for using the slur "noob"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I get warnings about chat bans because I am relentlessly negative about my own performance and that of my team when we lose, and I am incapable of changing.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
ELO Hell is real and I know because I live there. Placed into low gold a couple seasons back. Now I feel like I've learned a lot and play better than ever and I can't get out of low silver and I'll be bronze soon. Very cool!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

withoutclass posted:

ELO Hell is real and I know because I live there.

Is that where Hugh McDowell, Kelly Groucutt, and Mike Edwards went when they died?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

black.lion posted:

Oh goodness what have you done?

He relentlessly shittalks his team, which makes them throw and then he gets banned, every season, like clockwork.

This is apparently why overwatch's elo system sucks

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

withoutclass posted:

ELO Hell is real and I know because I live there. Placed into low gold a couple seasons back. Now I feel like I've learned a lot and play better than ever and I can't get out of low silver and I'll be bronze soon. Very cool!

Even if you're learning and playing better, if you're learning and playing less than the average person who still plays comp OW, you'll drop in ranking - they are relative after all, not absolute.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To the ELO-hell-haters: how do you explain 900 ELO variance depending on time you queue?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm definitely not opposed to the idea that the player base changed enough in 2 seasons to alter the rankings that much, which is fine, except when you rank into a bracket where people play poorly more than 50% there's not much you can do as a solo player.

Edit: missed a letter

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 8, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

dogstile posted:

He relentlessly shittalks his team, which makes them throw and then he gets banned, every season, like clockwork.

This is apparently why overwatch's elo system sucks

I almost never get grouped with dudes like that so it sounds like the system works? :shrug:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

I almost never get grouped with dudes like that so it sounds like the system works? :shrug:

You're describing ELO hell. That's where everyone else is.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 8, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

truly a hell of their own making

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

xtal posted:

To the ELO-hell-haters: how do you explain 900 ELO variance depending on time you queue?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell people in matches when they get toxic, on either team:

Attitude diff

e: and I've never been banned or warned abt being banned for it, so it's not a slur I'm 100% positive

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xtal posted:

That's a you thing. You continually post about how you're constantly getting banned, which is not the norm. You're continually posting about how you're insulting people, that's not the norm.

Basically, if you grow up and stop shouting at people, your SR variance will go down. I don't think you're capable of this, however. Its been years and you're still doing it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

That's a you thing. You continually post about how you're constantly getting banned, which is not the norm. You're continually posting about how you're insulting people, that's not the norm.

Basically, if you grow up and stop shouting at people, your SR variance will go down. I don't think you're capable of this, however. Its been years and you're still doing it.

So ELO hell does exist?

I wouldn't need to insult my teammates if they didn't suck. That happens a lot more in ELO hell.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 8, 2021

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

In my many years of playing Overwatch I've found the biggest variable affecting my win rate is my mood

If I'm in a good mood, I win win win

If I'm pissed off or frustrated or stressed, I lose lose lose

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When losing makes it harder to win, that is literally the definition of ELO hell.

The especially silly thing is that after I get unbanned in a month, Blizzard will try and give me 500 SR to keep me engaged. It's at least partly engagement based.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
No. You are not anywhere near good enough to understand why your SR is falling aside from "I'm not being carried". The only evidence I have of your gameplay until you record something, is that you actively tilt your teammates and then wonder why you're losing.

That is not elo hell. That's you being an rear end in a top hat and wondering why things aren't going well. Elo hell doesn't exist. I've coached tons of players out of what they think the "elo hell" rank is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've been top 8 in every game I've ever played :shrug: Guess this game for children is just super duper hard

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

xtal posted:

I wouldn't need to insult my teammates if they didn't suck. That happens a lot more in ELO hell.

This is absolutely headspinning logic lmao

"I must insult my teammates because they suck"

In actuality if you're insulting your teammates during a match, you're throwing - you're filling comms with distracting nonsense not only for whoever you're insulting, but your other 4 teammates; you're causing them to tune out of the game because you're annoying; you're not providing useful information, and you're having a detrimental effect on your teammates' play, so even if you pop off your presence and attitude will lose you the game.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
E: removed worthless post, so far

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Imagine if, for some reason, you wanted to not win games but also be the best scoring player on the losing team.

Demoralizing your team would probably be one of the better ways to make your team play shittier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean it's also a terrible way to look at stats.

"I have gold damage"

Alright cool but unless you're winning fights all you're doing is charging enemy ults and losing fights.

"I have gold elims"

Cool you might just be tapping people for 1hp and it'll still give you an elim if they die.

For a "game for children" people who complain about it certainly don't seem to understand anything other than "I pew pew a guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, if you tell them all to go to quick play, you don't need to use up your limited avoid slots on people who shouldn't be playing ranked. It might even spare future people the trouble.

Here's my hot take: Going into ranked and playing like poo poo, is far more offensive to your teammates, than your teammates telling you you're poo poo. Queueing ranked is an agreement not to be poo poo. It's fair to be angry at people to betray that agreement and waste your time and SR.